View Full Version : Pop Quiz...

absonjourney
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
In your opinion, what are the three biggest issues facing people in Oklahoma City today?

andy157
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
In your opinion, what are the three biggest issues facing people in Oklahoma City today?
1. Is the NBA team going to represent the City, or the State?

2. What name they will be given?

3. What will be the color and style of their uniforms?

Karried
03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I guess it all depends on the person and current perspectives ...

1) When will the NBA finally get here?

2) When can I get tickets?

3) Will the beer be ice cold?

ha.ha.

OKCMallen
03-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Economic development seems thriving, and that's my usual big issue. I am relatively content with tax structure. The roads are pretty bad in places, but that seems to be getting fixed and is prolly a county concern anyway. "Schools" is always an easy answer. Urban sprawl seems to be slowing as people and businesses move toward the center of the city. Heck, I don't have much to complain about right now other than not having enough independent restaurants and not true sports bar downtown.

OU Adonis
03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
My personal 3 issues

1) More big companies moving to OKC.
2) When will the NBA arrive?
3) Affordable downtown housing.

okclee
03-27-2008, 03:00 PM
1. Change the alcohol and liquor laws for the better of the consumer.

2. Tighten the building codes to require more brick and more landscaping on all projects throughout Okc, also including the developer to include sidewalks.

3. Improve the deteriorating innercity neighborhoods.

jbrown84
03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
1. Working on creating a more inviting, tolerant culture, including things like the liquor laws

2. Better codes to require developers to create quality, well landscaped developments ONLY where they are needed (i.e. not overbuilding retail in the growing parts)

3. More housing and services downtown

amylynn5656
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
1. Liquor Laws

2. Reinvigorating inner city residential neighborhoods

3. NBA in OKC

Karried
03-27-2008, 07:50 PM
1) Change the Negative Perception of State
2) Attract More Corporations/Tourism to OKC
3) Address and improve upon poverty related issues .. ie health care, education, hunger.

OKCCrime
03-28-2008, 12:17 PM

Wow, either I read this question entirely wrong or everyone else did. There is no way the NBA is one of the three biggest issues facing people. The three biggest issues facing people in Oklahoma City and probably everywhere are (unordered)

(*) Money - employment, mortgage, rent, cost of living, cost of education

(*) Family - marriage, divorce, children, parents, pets

(*) Health - illness, chronic diseases, depression, accidents, violence

absonjourney
03-28-2008, 04:07 PM
OKCCrime...

I think you get closer to what I was looking for (what really concerns us about our city, what needs to improve, what is undone or overlooked), but you never know... the NBA may be one of the big issues in days to come...

thanks for the insight from all who have commented so far...

anyone else...?

jbrown84
03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
That's awfully generic, OKCCrime. Can you be more specific to OKC's problems?

OKCCrime
03-28-2008, 06:13 PM
That's awfully generic, OKCCrime. Can you be more specific to OKC's problems?

I was just counting up the minutes in the day I worry about stuff. Money, Family and Health take up 95% of my worry time. I suppose I spend some percentage (less than 1 percent) worrying about how insane it is to switch tax dollars from educating our children to padding for our asses at the Ford Center while we watch basketball. Don't get me wrong, if you want to talk about NBA, no problem! I just didn't read the question that way. The most significant three problems of OKC residents are the same as anywhere else, money, family and health.

JWil
03-28-2008, 06:51 PM
Crime... that reads more like a list of personal issues for any one person. I get what you're getting at, but those seem more person-specific than city-related. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

OKCCrime
03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Crime... that reads more like a list of personal issues for any one person.

Yes. If you read the question, that is exactly what it asked:

not "What three biggest issues are facing Oklahoma City today"

Karried
03-28-2008, 10:01 PM
sheesh, Andy157 was being facetious and funny and we all joined in in the spirit of fun.

Of course, the NBA isn't the biggest issue facing OK citizens but it was the topic of that day.

OKCCrime
03-28-2008, 10:36 PM
sheesh, Andy157 was being facetious and funny and we all joined in in the spirit of fun.

Yeah, you and Andy were clearly being facetious. I got that. However OU Adonis and amylynn5656 clearly weren't being facetious. That I didn't get. I just don't see how the NBA or liquor laws really are the most significant issues facing the people of OKC. They are clearly issues, just not the most significant ones.

andy157
03-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah, you and Andy were clearly being facetious. I got that. However OU Adonis and amylynn5656 clearly weren't being facetious. That I didn't get. I just don't see how the NBA or liquor laws really are the most significant issues facing the people of OKC. They are clearly issues, just not the most significant ones.
For real:

1. Public Safety: Properly staffed, equipt, trained, and compensated.

2. Infrastructure: Streets, water, sewer, storm drainage. Adequate and well maintained.

3. Employment Opportunities: Good, stable long term jobs in the Manufacturing/Industry fields. With high wages, and good bebefits

4. (bonus concern) Core to Shore: Do it, and due it quickly. And do it properly. Unlike the String of Pearls.