View Full Version : Get ready for the OKLAHOMA (fill in the blank) NOT OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3

solitude
03-25-2008, 04:10 PM
The press conference made it clear to me that this NBA team will be called the Oklahoma Whatever. While the presser is still going on, I am guessing the question won't be asked and wouldn't be answered if it was. I am excited about the NBA, I voted YES on March 14th (with reservations), but the unbelievable application for Oklahoma Quality Jobs Program money makes it a clear (to me anyway) that this team will be the OKLAHOMA ______ and not the Oklahoma City ________ ala Salt Lake City/Utah.

The emphasis on the STATE economy and the STATE population and STATE companies and STATE money was another indication of what's to come name-wise. So ------- brace yourselves. I am guessing that's not going to go over real well here.

The application to seek OQJP money is shocking. That program was set-up to bring in jobs, and pay directly to companies, that bring good jobs to Oklahoma. There will be new jobs created, but the vast majority will be third-party jobs that have nothing to do with the actual Professional Basketball Club, LLC. Another giveway.

And again, I think the message today was clear --- it will not be the Oklahoma City anything. Take that to the bank.

Kerry
03-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Solitude - The owners said a long time ago the name would be Oklahoma City something. I don't see the big deal about using QQJB money. In fact, I love it that they are using an existing state program and not asking for something special. That program is available to any company moving to Oklahoma and we increase its visiablity to other companies. Plus, using an existing program would actually take pressure off having a Oklahoma something name.

We have been through this a thousand times - allowing a company to keep their own money is not a give-away.

solitude
03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Solitude - The owners said a long time ago the name would be Oklahoma City something. I don't see the big deal about using QQJB money. In fact, I love it that they are using an existing state program and not asking for something special. That program is available to any company moving to Oklahoma and we increase its visiablity to other companies. Plus, using an existing program would actually take pressure off having a Oklahoma something name.

Did YOU watch/listen to the press conference?

solitude
03-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Also, Kerry, just because they said at one time, way back that it would be OKC (did they?) doesn't mean they can't change their mind for economic purposes. The Tulsa mayor was there today too, btw.

Kerry
03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Did YOU watch/listen to the press conference?

Every word.

solitude
03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Every word.

Why are you so certain? Who said it would definitely, without question, be "Oklahoma City?"

Everything I heard today makes me think it will not be.

Kerry
03-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Why are you so certain? Who said it would definitely, without question, be "Oklahoma City?"

You mean other than the fact they already said it would be OKC something? WHen the Hornets played here the patch said OKC. The owners are from OKC and none are from outside the OKC metro area. They all have a vested interest in branding OKC to the benefit of their respective companies. The Ford Center and practice facility was voted on and paid for by OKC residents or people visiting OKC. The state program actually doesn't contribute any state money, they just defer receiving money they currently aren't receiving.

Shall I keep going?

Rifleman2C
03-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Okay... for an out-of-stater that might have missed it, what was actually said? And was there a 'lock' on the fact that we are getting a team... and when?

solitude
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Kerry, Temporarily hosting the Hornets and this group owning the team are two different things. The fact it said "OKC" on the Hornets patch means nothing at this point. I ask again - who is "they said?" Link?

The state program actually doesn't contribute any state money, they just defer receiving money they currently aren't receiving.

And the difference is? One way or another it comes out of the pockets of state taxpayers. Also, you're only partially right on the way the program works.

betts
03-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I have to agree with you, solitude. I believe the owners needed a united front from the state, not just the city, to show that this is a bigger market than just Oklahoma City. And they're right. With fans across the state, and a few in Wichita and some surrounding states, this is a market of almost 4 million people, which makes it a very viable operation.

My attitude is: Whatever works. I'd like the entire state to support the team. I'd be thrilled if people from anywhere in Oklahoma felt ownership of the team. If that means leaving the word "City" out of the name, then so be it.

As far as OQJP money is concerned, this one I'll have to think about. I am quite sure there will be very few people involved in market, management and team operations moving from Seattle to OKC, so those will be new jobs. I have no earthly idea how many jobs that involves, or what kind of payroll. Hopefully there will be some explanation forthcoming.

betts
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay... for an out-of-stater that might have missed it, what was actually said? And was there a 'lock' on the fact that we are getting a team... and when?

I was driving, so I couldn't write down any quotes. But, what I heard was that the three members of the relocation committee that were here are going to recommend to the full relocation committee that they recommend moving the Sonics to OKC to the full BOG.

As far as a time frame, both Clay Bennett and David Stern said that if they can't come up with a financial solution for the lease, that they will abide by the judges decision regarding the lease.

Rifleman2C
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
I was driving, so I couldn't write down any quotes. But, what I heard was that the three members of the relocation committee that were here are going to recommend to the full relocation committee that they recommend moving the Sonics to OKC to the full BOG.

As far as a time frame, both Clay Bennett and David Stern said that if they can't come up with a financial solution for the lease, that they will abide by the judges decision regarding the lease.

Thank you. I'm so glad to see that things might actually be moving now...

cedbled
03-25-2008, 04:45 PM
It should only be the Oklahoma City_________, not Oklahoma______ for the simple fact that when it comes down to the actual taxpayers funding the arena upgrades (which, as clearly stated by Mr. Stern were ABSOLUTELY necessary for us to get a team), we are all from OKC.....not even our suburbs are included in the tax......just METRO residents...no disrespect to anyone outside the metro, but don't get angry when some want the largest, and capital city in our great state to be represented with the air of civic independence it deserves.

And to the antagonists: I guess we should also rename everything else we're proud about here in OKC to Oklahoma_______ also, huh?

EDIT: maybe there are also some who aren't getting the concept yet, but there are already teams\organizations in place here designed to unite the entire state in support......OKLAHOMA Sooners\ Oklahoma STATE Cowboys, etc..

I find it extremely narrow-sighted for one to assume that as new and large of a deal as this is for everyone in our state, that ANYONE needs any other motivator for supporting the team.....

just silly

Rifleman2C
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
And to the antagonists: I guess we should also rename everything else we're proud about here in OKC to Oklahoma_______ also, huh?

I'm not an antagonist here, but I'll say this... there will be folks from Tulsa that will buy season tickets and travel down to OKC to watch their team. And there will be people from Enid, and people from Stillwater, and people from Ardmore, and people from Watonga, and people from Shawnee... (and you can fill in the rest of it, I'm sure).

They want to be a part of NBA in OKC. And they will likely bring their money and time and invest in the success. And if you are an investor, you know this, as well.

OKCMallen
03-25-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm a metro OKC guy, but I can swallow my pride a little bit and lose the "City" if that will tend to increase support from Tulsa. Really, that's the only group of people that would be irritable that it's the OKC ______ instead of the Oklahoma _____. I don't think people in Shawnee, Kingston, Duncan or Gotebo will be too irritated and refuse to support if it's OKC ___.

Kerry
03-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Sure the Mayor of Tulsa was there but so what? The Tulsa Mayor shows up so all of sudden the "City" portion gets dropped. That's rediculus. They cited motivating items such biotechnology, banking, oil, aviation etc. Where do yu think those industries are located? They are all in OKC.

Tulsa does have American Airlines but OKC has Tinker AFB, Boeing, Northrop Grummond, plus the only space exploration company in the state. Yes Tulsa has BOK but OKC has MidFirst Bank which is the 3rd largest private bank in the US and the CEO owns the team. BOK also a large workforce in OKC.

Trust me - the name will be OKC.

Kerry
03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Rifleman - let me ask you this. Can you imagine anyone in Ardmore saying, "Screw the OKC whatevers, they put City in the name so I am not going." That would never happen. However, leave City off and you will have a bunch of pissed off PRIMARY SUPPORTERS on your hands.

cedbled
03-25-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm not an antagonist here, but I'll say this... there will be folks from Tulsa that will buy season tickets and travel down to OKC to watch their team. And there will be people from Enid, and people from Stillwater, and people from Ardmore, and people from Watonga, and people from Shawnee... (and you can fill in the rest of it, I'm sure).

They want to be a part of NBA in OKC. And they will likely bring their money and time and invest in the success. And if you are an investor, you know this, as well.

Rifleman, that makes total sense to me, and you know what? I believe that will actually enhance the OKC patron's experience to sit next to someone that had to travel further, spend more money, etc. to support OUR team (looking forward to it), but I guess I just don't understand the lack of enthusiasm that one from another city would feel if the team's name were OKC whatever.

andy157
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM
The press conference made it clear to me that this NBA team will be called the Oklahoma Whatever. While the presser is still going on, I am guessing the question won't be asked and wouldn't be answered if it was. I am excited about the NBA, I voted YES on March 14th (with reservations), but the unbelievable application for Oklahoma Quality Jobs Program money makes it a clear (to me anyway) that this team will be the OKLAHOMA ______ and not the Oklahoma City ________ ala Salt Lake City/Utah.

The emphasis on the STATE economy and the STATE population and STATE companies and STATE money was another indication of what's to come name-wise. So ------- brace yourselves. I am guessing that's not going to go over real well here.

The application to seek OQJP money is shocking. That program was set-up to bring in jobs, and pay directly to companies, that bring good jobs to Oklahoma. There will be new jobs created, but the vast majority will be third-party jobs that have nothing to do with the actual Professional Basketball Club, LLC. Another giveway.

And again, I think the message today was clear --- it will not be the Oklahoma City anything. Take that to the bank.I'm not a fan, nor am I exited over the NBA. Nevertheless, for those of you who are, who worked so hard to make this happen, I respect you for that. I truely, and in all sincerity, do believe for those of you who showed the needed support to make this happen, you have earned, and deserve a little honor for your loyalty. This team should be an OKC team. It's just my honest opinion.

cedbled
03-25-2008, 05:08 PM
The difference between OU\OSU teams and an NBA team, is that they represent 2 different ideals for why they play the game. For college, it's all about REPRESENTING THE STATE, and everyone in it....The NBA is a business, and it's job is not always to do that. I think we all agree that when we travel abroad, we're proud to wear the Sooners\Cowboys jerseys and caps....But, until the near future, that is all that was available. Major league sports, however is usually associated with one particular city or region they represent, NOT the entire state that city or region is in.

roboticbrad
03-25-2008, 05:17 PM

I'm from Tulsa and I already know once OKC gets the team. I will be watching every game possible and go to as many as I can. I could care less whether its OKC ____ or Oklahoma ____.

cedbled
03-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I will say this also:

Smaller cities\towns in OK have a legit argument for "City" not being included in the team name, BUT surely a city as large and "major league" as Tulsa should be put to a vote to chip in on the taxes for all of the expenses, but that didn't happen, did it?

No, it didn't, but it's funny they show up today trying to lobby themselves for their unwarranted inclusion in the merits OKC is about to recieve for it's efforts.

The leadership of Tulsa didn't say a damn word about making this a joint effort, (probably because they didn't believe that we'd actually be this close to getting a team), but NOW that we are, NOW Tulsa has a say in this?

please....

solitude
03-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Sure the Mayor of Tulsa was there but so what? The Tulsa Mayor shows up so all of sudden the "City" portion gets dropped. That's rediculus. They cited motivating items such biotechnology, banking, oil, aviation etc. Where do yu think those industries are located? They are all in OKC.

Tulsa does have American Airlines but OKC has Tinker AFB, Boeing, Northrop Grummond, plus the only space exploration company in the state. Yes Tulsa has BOK but OKC has MidFirst Bank which is the 3rd largest private bank in the US and the CEO owns the team. BOK also a large workforce in OKC.

Trust me - the name will be OKC.

Kerry, again, when did "they" say, with certainty or otherwise, it would be "Oklahoma City?" Simple question. I may be wrong - so I'd really like to know. You seem very certain about this.

Rifleman2C
03-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm from Tulsa and I already know once OKC gets the team. I will be watching every game possible and go to as many as I can. I could care less whether its OKC ____ or Oklahoma ____.

Thanks, Brad. That was exactly the knid of response I expected from our brothers up the Turnpike... NBA will gather lots of support from so many cities once it is actually in OKC for good. With 3.7 million folks in the State, how can it not enjoy the support of our populace?

Kerry
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Solitude - I will see if I can find the quote for you.

unconcerned
03-25-2008, 05:31 PM
It should only be the Oklahoma City_________, not Oklahoma______ for the simple fact that when it comes down to the actual taxpayers funding the arena upgrades (which, as clearly stated by Mr. Stern were ABSOLUTELY necessary for us to get a team), we are all from OKC.....not even our suburbs are included in the tax......

just silly

I think your argument is flawed on only thinking OKC residents will be paying this tax. I live in Moore and spend most of my entertainment, food, clothing expenses in OKC, but I digress.

I don't think the press conference today was any indication on whether the team will use Oklahoma or OKC, I think the state was just trying to show to the committee that the state can support the team economically. OKC is a pretty small market for a pro team, so we're going to need all the support we can get from Tulsa and small towns in Oklahoma.

I hope and think the name will be OKC rather than Oklahoma and I wouldn't worry about the wording of the press conference. I think it's irrelevant to the ultimate decision on what they name the team.

Kerry
03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Solitude - I have looked around for the quote but can't find it. I think it was in Aubrey McClendon article on the Journal Record. I don't have a Journal Record id to search the archives but here is the link if someone with access would like to check if Aubrey said they would have "City" in the name.

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=80883)

Doug Loudenback
03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
My 2 cents, not that it matters ... the decision is not mine (or yours) to make.

While the Hornets were here, people from all around invested themselves in the "Oklahoma City" Hornets ... I personally know of 2 from Lawton, 1 from Wichita, 1 from Ada, and, of course, many from Norman and other parts of the Okc Metro. Even a few Tulsans may have come, I suspect.

The main thing is: getting a team. The secondary thing is what the team's name should be, whether the 1st part of the name be "Oklahoma City" or "Oklahoma" and the second part whatever.

2 questions ... think fast, no pausing to think ...

(1) where is the Utah Jazz located ;
(2) where are the Indiana Pacers located?

If you said, "duh," well, you just haven't been following the NBA. Everyone who does knows: (1) the Jazz's home is Salt Lake City; (2) the Pacers' home is Indianapolis. The city/state moniker is just not that big a deal, in my opinion.

So, sure, I'd prefer the "Oklahoma City ______", but I'm quite content to say the "Oklahoma ______." The important part is that the team lives HERE.

Rifleman2C
03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
So, sure, I'd prefer the "Oklahoma City ______", but I'm quite content to say the "Oklahoma ______." The important part is that the team lives HERE.

Yep. That is the truly important point.

So, does that serve as the 'thread killer'?

kevinpate
03-25-2008, 06:09 PM
I work here, I play here, I spend here, to the chagrin of the community where I generally rest my sleepy eyes, and sometimes do play and spend. I don't give a gnat spittle on whether it is Oklahoma or Oklahoma City, or Edmond South for that matter 8^)

Let's face it, once it isn't Seattle ___, the rest is just kibbles and bits over which some will toss their fits and some of the great NW will toss their cookies

solitude
03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
At one time this was a very contentious issue here on the forum. I guess to many it doesn't matter anymore. And, Doug, you're right - it's not our decision to make - but aren't we entitled to an opinion considering the city and state are handing them MILLIONS to come here? If I opened a hamburger joint and asked the city to build me a "cooking facility" and upgrade my new shop and then turned around and asked the state to provide handouts - damn right they'd have a say in what I name my #3 burger. Maybe even my store.

By the way, finally finished "Free Lunch" - the author should win himself another pulitzer. Great book and shows just how bad it's getting in sports and every other kind of (big) business running to the taxpayers for handouts, bailouts, etc. In fact, it's a darn good thing I didn't read the book before March 4th.

sdsooners
03-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Ironically, I was at a downtown luncheon in which Clay Bennett spoke a couple weeks ago and this exact question came up. Clay told us that the team would definitely include Oklahoma City in the title, not just Oklahoma. He was very excited about the support from Tulsa and other Oklahoma communities, but was adament that the team would always be referred to as "Oklahoma City _____." It sounds like a done deal....now they just have to come up with a team name.

solitude
03-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Ironically, I was at a downtown luncheon in which Clay Bennett spoke a couple weeks ago and this exact question came up. Clay told us that the team would definitely include Oklahoma City in the title, not just Oklahoma. He was very excited about the support from Tulsa and other Oklahoma communities, but was adament that the team would always be referred to as "Oklahoma City _____." It sounds like a done deal....now they just have to come up with a team name.

What luncheon was it?

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

soonerguru
03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
If they name us the "Oklahoma Groundhogs" or "Oklahoma Twisters," or some such stupid thing, they will have screwed OKC out of its best "big league" branding opportunity, well, ever. It would be incredibly stupid.

Sadly, this city has a long history of shooting itself in the foot, so don't be surprised if they do it again.

Imagine hearing, The Lakers take on Oklahoma City. New York visits the "Oklahoma City Flight" or something. That is non-stop PR that we actually live in a major league city.

I will be pissed for voting for the arena tax if the city screws the pooch on this. They promised us a "big league city." That's why we voted for it. We didn't vote for the "Oklahoma Whatevers."

soonerguru
03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
The city/state moniker is just not that big a deal, in my opinion.

I fervently disagree. I bet fewer than 50 percent of Americans who visit sports bars have even heard of Salt Lake City.

Either our city's name is being repeated endlessly on international media or it's not. It's really that simple. If you think our city gets the same bang for the buck with the word Oklahoma tossed around, think again. You clearly don't work in advertising or PR.

solitude
03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
SDSOONERS:

It looks like you're still online and I'm anxious to know - what luncheon did Clay Bennett speak at just a couple of weeks ago and make clear the team would be branded with "Oklahoma City?"

solitude
03-25-2008, 06:57 PM
I fervently disagree. I bet fewer than 50 percent of Americans who visit sports bars have even heard of Salt Lake City.

Either our city's name is being repeated endlessly on international media or it's not. It's really that simple. If you think our city gets the same bang for the buck with the word Oklahoma tossed around, think again. You clearly don't work in advertising or PR.

You are so right. When I hear "Arizona Cardinals" I don't think of Phoenix - I just don't. I agree with soonerguru that the branding with Oklahoma City is a huge deal as far as the image of our city goes.

Karried
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I can't believe this is really the Big Issue... sheesh.

I'm too busy doing the happy dance to care about 'City' right now .....

I'm floored and ecstatic that we have gotten this far!!!! .. People, we have just passed a huge hurdle! I could care less what they call the team!

I'm really proud of the way everyone came together and made such a great presentation.

:kicking: wooot! :kicking:

plmccordj
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I find it hard to believe that people actually think those outside the OKC metro would refuse to go to the games because it says Oklahoma City. Using that analogy, people outside Dallas would not go to the Cowboys football games. I do not think it is disrespectful to the rest of the state to call the team Oklahoma City____.

What happened to the "Big League City" campaign? I thought part of the goal in bringing a team here was to get some positive air time around the nation and to promote the name "Oklahoma City". That was the big push to get people to vote. I do think it would be disrespectful to the people of Oklahoma City not to include "City" in the name since we have been hearing "Big League City" for the last three years. This has been the motivating campaign to get Oklahoma City voters to support the Hornets, and vote for a Ford Center improvement. I live in a suburb and I clearly remember the vote to improve the Ford Center was restricted to "Oklahoma City" residents.

Just something to think about.

Paul

dcsooner
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Who cares if the team is named Oklahoma xxxxx. The Hornets were supported by people from across the State. Man we are going to have an NBA team, it should represent the entire State. Welcome Tulsa, Lawton, Enid, Duncan, Timbuktu, Oklahoma, We are getting a team we can ALL support

bornhere
03-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Wheeeeee.

Pete
03-25-2008, 07:11 PM
The major investors in this team are also major investors in Oklahoma City and stand a lot to gain from OKC's stature being elevated by officially becoming a big league city.

In fact, they've mentioned this many times and beyond the most recent vote to improve the Ford Center, there wouldn't even *be* a Ford Center to improve and the Hornets never would have relocated and thus paved the way for this eventuality if not for the constant support -- both physically and fiscally -- of the citizens of OKC.

The big push for the NBA was "Big League City" not "Big League State".

To now suddenly go with the state name would seem a bit disingenuous IMO.

solitude
03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I can't believe this is really the Big Issue... sheesh.

I'm too busy doing the happy dance to care about 'City' right now .....

I'm floored and ecstatic that we have gotten this far!!!! .. People, we have just passed a huge hurdle! I could care less what they call the team!

I'm really proud of the way everyone came together and made such a great presentation.

:kicking: wooot! :kicking:

I think it's very important. The press conference answers from Bennett and Stern, with all that that emphasis on the state, concerns me. I hope I'm wrong. But really, there's nothing wrong with talking about this. We can still be happy - and show concern after the press conference. As Pete said, this is about our becoming a big league city. I think it matters and I'll say again, I hope I'm wrong.

Pete
03-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Also, I'm sure many that voted for the improvements were at least partially swayed by the fact their investment could come back to them personally through raised awareness of OKC and thus possibly better job opportunities and higher real estate appreciation. Isn't this a big part of being a big league town?

I don't think it will affect attendance one single bit -- people from OKC, Tulsa & Moore will either come or not -- but it *will* affect the image of Oklahoma City if it is mentioned by name ever single time there is a game played by the team.

And if you think that people outside the state will automatically think "Oklahoma City" when then hear "Oklahoma ________" you are mistaken. The whole point is that most people on the coasts don't know much about OKC or the state in general, which is one of the main reasons to get a pro franchise in the first place.

Here in California, when I tell people I'm from Oklahoma City and then remind them that the city is well over a million people in population, most are completely shocked.

If they hear that Oklahoma City has an NBA team, they'll automatically assume it's a big city -- or at least bigger than they would have thought. And as I said, that's one of the big reasons to get a pro franchise -- especially the first one.

Here's another example: I have a cousin from Wisconsin that has been living in Northern California for about 20 years. He and I have some small real estate investments together.

I recently floated some small apartment buildings by him in the Oklahoma City area, explaining that OKC was becoming a bit of a boom town. And how did I drive that point home? By telling him the Supersonics will soon be relocating there. His response: "REALLY? I had no idea. Wow, we should definitely take a look at opportunities there."

Karried
03-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes, I can see the merits in having the team associated with the word City ... I know it's probably important... but I'm not really sure how important...

I've been a San Francisco 49er's fan forever.. and I was born and raised in San Jose, CA .... an hour away.. but I didn't care.

So, for me, I can't really relate too much to the exclusion of the word 'city' really making a huge difference in people's perceptions.

I can't believe in our entire state, we don't have a pro team and now we most likely are getting one, and no on else is excited?

I'm just so thrilled about how far we've come today! Sorry.

metro
03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Head over to KOCO.com . They are having an "unofficial" vote on the new name. They have some pretty rednecky names as you can imagine. They do have an "other" option though as well as are taking email suggestions.......

Nixon7
03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
OKC or Oklahoma, I like the international flare of the name...OKC United!

Intrepid
03-25-2008, 08:03 PM
OKC or Oklahoma, I like the international flare of the name...OKC United!

Sorta like the D.C. United of the MLS?

Kerry
03-25-2008, 08:21 PM
I for one will be pissed if "City" is not in the name. I would hate to see the risk taken by OKC leaders and residents get shafted by going to a state name.

Only 5 NBA teams have state names

Golden State Warriors
New Jersey Nets
Minnesota Timberwolves
Indiana Pacers
Utah Jazz

Minnesota, Utah, and New Jersey only have one major city each so branding the State also brands the major populaion center. Need proof. What is the second largest city Utah or Indiana? You don't have any idea do you?

What city does Golden State play in? A. Oakland
What city does New Jersey play in? A. I'll be you $1 million you have to look this one up.

The point is OKC need to be branded apart from Oklahoma in general. Most people have no idea about Oklahoma or Oklahoma City. It is OKCs chance to make a first impression on most of America. It is too big of a marketing oppertunity to just piss it away.

soonerguru
03-25-2008, 08:25 PM
This is no small deal. This isn't some trivial bar argument. This is a VERY BIG DEAL. This is why companies pay billions for naming rights. It is branding. It is why Coca-Cola is not comfortable being known as cold soda drink.

This is the OKC Sonics (or whatevers), not the Oklahoma So and Sos. It is a very big deal. Those denying it are missing the most elementary aspects of branding, perception management and PR.

The Dallas Cowboys are a household name. They are not the North Texas Cowboys. They are the DALLAS Cowboys, as in Big D.

Can you imagine the Long Island Yankees? The Massachusets Celtics? Um, no, not very much. Do any of you have a clue (not NBA nerds) where the Golden State Warriors play?

OKC is either branded and KNOWN as a big-league city, or it's not. This branding value is not simply for NBA fans. This is a global branding opportunity and if this city screws it up it will be a colossal mistake.

This is big league branding. We want to be known as a big league city. Calling it "Oklahoma" will not enhance attendance. NBA fans will come, period, including Tulsans who just wish they had a team of their own, and don't think for a minute that if Tulsa DID have a team, that they would name it the Oklahoma anything.

okclee
03-25-2008, 08:49 PM
This is great news!!

I had to pinch myself , I thought I was dreaming while listening to the press conference. I will say that I was very proud listeing too. Growing up in Okc for 30 years I never thought I would see a pro team in our state or even my city.

At this point the name makes no diff to me. Oklahoma or Oklahoma City, I have never felt any animosity toward Tulsa, although I do believe that Tulsa looks down on Okc.

CuatrodeMayo
03-25-2008, 08:59 PM
Yea, they do. I was just in Tulsa today with a bunch of Tulsans. So full of themselves.

But just laugh to myself cuz I know what city is on the verge of greatness and what city is stuck in the past.

soonerguru
03-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I read the piece on the press conference (didn't actually watch the presser). The comments about being impressed with "Oklahoma" were largely Stern's. What else is going to say when the governor, head of the OSU athletic dept., Stoops, the mayor of Tulsa, and others are there expressing solidarity?

We may be a tad overanxious, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The fact is, if Bennett and Company want to name our team the Oklahoma Fighting Mullets, there's not a damn thing we can do to stop it except bitch and moan on the Internet.

andy157
03-25-2008, 09:22 PM
How's this for a conspirocy theory. The team owners want the OQJP money. And they want it really, really bad. And the only way for them to recieve this money is with a majority vote from the STATE Legislature.

The overwhelming majority of our STATE Legislators don't live in, and they don't represent OKC. Maybe the deal is, to recieve STATE money it has to go to a STATE team. Stranger things have happen.

If I'm a lawmaker from a small town in Western Oklahoma, when I go home I got a good story to tell. Or a good excuse to give when ask why I handed over so much STATE money to them slick City folks.

Thats when I look them square in the eye and say, yes I voted to give the money, but I made damn sure it went to a team that represents the STATE of Oklahoma, and not just the City of OKC.

SWOKC 4 me
03-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I will be thrilled beyond measure when we get an NBA team. However, IMO it should be Oklahoma City. My wife doesn't watch NBA basketball (but did go to and enjoy the hornets when they were here), so I asked here in what city the teams listed in a previous post played - (Golden State Warriors, New Jersey Nets, Minnesota Timberwolves, Indiana Pacers, Utah Jazz). The only one she got right was the Jazz and that is only because my Brother lives in SLC. She didn't even know what STATE the Golden State Warriers played in.

I think the OKC branding is important. I think that even non basketball fans that might be coming to OKC on business or for a convention might give OKC another thought if they knew they could catch a game even if they were not big fans.

Once again I asked my wife to name five cities that had an NBA team, she said - Seattle, Dallas, San Antonio, Los Angeles, and Phoenix. ... All have teams named after the city. She knew this even though she doesn't watch basketball. She didn't say any of the teams named after a state mentioned above even though we had just talked about them and what city they were in just about 15 minutes before. By far not a scientific poll but I hope you get my drift.

Pictuer this, your company wants to send you to oklahoma city for a few days on business. You are not from anywhere near oklahoma and are not really an NBA fan. You think what is there to do there in the evenings. Humm....they do have a basketball team. Lets see if we can get some tickets to that one night. .......Or if we were named after the state you might never think that there is basketball here because you are not really sure there is a team in OKC and do not know how far from OKC the Oklahoma Whatever's are.

On another note when the Hornets were here I did sit next to someone from Tulsa and was able to talk to him a little. He knew the Hornets were here and I assume he also knew their name was the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. It didn't seem to bother him that the name included Oklahoma City. He also said he enjoyed the game and planned to make the drive back again to see another even though he was not a huge NBA fan.

I feel like I am rambling but I hope you get my point.

Whatever they are called . . . NBA, WELCOME TO OKLAHOMA CITY !!!!

CuatrodeMayo
03-25-2008, 09:36 PM
How's this for a conspirocy theory. The team owners want the OQJP money. And they want it really, really bad. And the only way for them to recieve this money is with a majority vote from the STATE Legislature.

The overwhelming majority of our STATE Legislators don't live in, and they don't represent OKC. Maybe the deal is, to recieve STATE money it has to go to a STATE team. Stranger things have happen.

If I'm a lawmaker from a small town in Western Oklahoma, when I go home I got a good story to tell. Or a good excuse to give when ask why I handed over so much STATE money to them slick City folks.

Thats when I look them square in the eye and say, yes I voted to give the money, but I made damn sure it went to a team that represents the STATE of Oklahoma, and not just the City of OKC.

I doubt the OQJP money is a large sum. If Bennett and Co. were pressured to change from Oklahoma City to Oklahoma because of what is essentially pocket change, they would forget about the money.

JWil
03-25-2008, 09:37 PM

Count me in as one that would be straight-up PISSED if it's not the "Oklahoma City _________." I voted for the Ford Center thing in large part because this was OKC's team. Yes, ostensibly, it's Oklahoma's too and I'm fine with that... but the name of this team absolutely has to have OKC in it.

The owners of this team bought it for many reasons, but one, I believe, was to help their companies recruit employees to OKC. As in, "We now have the NBA and you can work here and get comp tickets" or whatever. Just another incentive for their businesses. No way those guys, who are so close to realizing their dream of making their hometown major-league, are gonna go Oklahoma Redhawks on it.

As for Tulsa... eff em. They've hated on us for years. They still look down on us now even though they know we're lapping them on the race track. If Tulsa wants to be a hanger-on and pretend they had something to do with this, fine. But they'll have to swallow their pride, plunk down $4 for the turnpike and come down to the big league city.

dismayed
03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I would prefer Oklahoma City, but it isn't a big deal to me. If they've done a marketing study and think they can get x% more people filling seats if they drop "city" from the name, then that is a reasonable argument to do it.

I don't think Oklahoma City ___ is a done deal though. I have seen many interviews where officials were stressing the strengths of the state, not the city, recently. Also, I was listening to KGOU last week and there was mention that the State was scurrying to pass various tax incentives for the NBA -- all with state funds. So I wouldn't be surprised if the team becomes the state's team.

I'm really happy about this. The NBA is a billion-dollar business. Any business in this category that comes to town is going to do nothing but help the local economy. As the tide rises....

As far as naming the team... PLEASE OFFICIALS, PLEASE hire a top-notch firm to aide in this. Go to NY or LA if you have to. Don't make some amateurish mistake and have a "write in and tell us the name you want for your new NBA team" contest. Pick something that honors our heritage but also casts us in a good light.

Two names that some locals have suggested that I do like though are the OKC Thunder and the OKC Thunderbirds (although I go back and forth on the last one because of concern of confusing the brand with the animated series of the same name). Both sound cool and tie back nicely to our city and state. Plus there's a bit of aggressiveness in both names, which is what you want in a sports team.

Boomers, Twisters, Pioneers, etc... are all way too cheesy. YardDawgz is just dumb. Hopefully we won't do something like that.

bornhere
03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
I like the Fighting Mullets.

Pete
03-25-2008, 09:56 PM
If you read the article I just posted in the "NBA in town today" thread, you'll see the welcoming committee included the mayor of Tulsa, the current and most recent governor, and others from throughout the state.

The focus was on the entire state and it's support, so you could expect all comments today to center on that.

Even though I do think the naming thing is a quasi big deal, I'm not as worried now that I think more about today's context.

I also trust that the ownership group is smart enough to realize all the points that have been raised on this thread.