View Full Version : NBA in OKC Today.

metro
03-25-2008, 07:43 AM
I heard a preview on KOCO last night that on their morning show today 5-7am, that they and the city were going to have an official public party today to show our support of the NBA. I don't get up that early so I didn't catch the details this morning but if someone did, please post. Also, I know the city and NBA team is having a press conference here (I'm assuming at Ford Center) at 4:30pm this afternoon to report on what they thought today.

NBA in Oklahoma City: Making the pitch
Oklahoma City's sales pitch to get an NBA team has an audience today as league Commissioner David Stern and members of the relocation committee visit to get the official pitch from team owners and city leaders. The Oklahoma City-based ownership group of the Seattle SuperSonics has filed for relocation to Oklahoma City. The committee will make a recommendation to the NBA Board of Governors, which will vote on the proposal next month.

Who will be here

•Sonics owner Clay Bennett.

•NBA Commissioner David Stern.

•Lewis Katz, owner of the New Jersey Nets and member of the relocation committee.

•Herb Simon, owner of the Indiana Pacers and member of the relocation committee.

•Peter Holter, owner of the San Antonio Spurs and member of the relocation committee.

•Jeanie Buss, VP of the Los Angeles Lakers and member of the relocation committee.

Why they're here
•What: The presentation will include a tour of the Ford Center. Points Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett may emphasize: Success of the Hornets, vote on the Ford Center, history of MAPS and local ownership.
•When: A court case between the Sonics and Seattle begins June 16. Seattle wants to hold the Sonics to their lease, which would keep them out of Oklahoma City until 2010.

Inside
•A Q&A with Mayor Mick Cornett.
Page 1C

okclee
03-25-2008, 11:34 AM
I saw a long long line of very expensive Mercedes Benz outside the Ford Center. All of the news channels were outside as well. Looked as if the news reporters were waiting to get a shot of the NBA people as they came out of the Ford Center. Hopefully it all goes well.

okclee
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Press conference today at 4:30 pm, live on the Sports Animal radio AM 640, FM 97.9.

The Sports Animal (http://www.thesportsanimal.com/default.asp)

Easy180
03-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Another David Glover sighting at the city council meeting of a city he doesn't live in

solitude
03-25-2008, 06:32 PM
Another David Glover sighting at the city council meeting of a city he doesn't live in

Yet, way back when, you made the argument that his numbers weren't right (using just the city residents in his calculations) because everyone in the metro will be paying the tax at stores all over OKC proper. So, we're all in this together - until it comes time to talk to the city council?

Easy180
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Yet, way back when, you made the argument that his numbers weren't right (using just the city residents in his calculations) because everyone in the metro will be paying the tax at stores all over OKC proper. So, we're all in this together - until it comes time to talk to the city council?

He can gripe just don't feel he should be able to address a city council he doesn't even live in

solitude
03-25-2008, 06:47 PM
He can gripe just don't feel he should be able to address a city council he doesn't even live in

I was thinking when he leaves the Village to shop, maybe he should just shop, but not have to pay the sales tax for a city he doesn't live in.

Everybody touched by decisions made by Oklahoma City's municipal government has every right to be at council meetings.
Clay Bennett lives in Nichols Hills - maybe he should never be allowed to address the city council.

Easy180
03-25-2008, 07:02 PM
I guess you are right

But there should at least be an ordinance forbidding media whores :tiphat:

TStheThird
03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Good logic considering Clay owns the effing team that has filed to relocate to OKC. Maybe Glover shouldn't shop or make any income, then he wouldn't have to pay taxes at all.

andy157
03-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Good logic considering Clay owns the effing team that has filed to relocate to OKC. Maybe Glover shouldn't shop or make any income, then he wouldn't have to pay taxes at all.Without any income... shopping would be out of the question.

Pete
03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
NBA exec: 'No question ... they're coming'
By Darnell Mayberry
The Oklahoman

Oklahoma moved a major step closer in its bid to lure the NBA after a who's who of the state's business, civic and government leaders wowed league owners and executives Tuesday in downtown Oklahoma City.

An NBA subcommittee will now make a recommendation to the league's seven-member relocation committee to relocate the Seattle SuperSonics to Oklahoma City, NBA Commissioner David Stern said after a daylong visit that included a Ford Center tour, business meetings and presentations.

The relocation committee will then make its own recommendation to the NBA's Board of Governors during league meetings April 17-18 in New York. The Board of Governors has up to 30 days to vote on the Sonics' application request with a simple majority of the 30 owners needed for approval.

But the outcome now seems to be a foregone conclusion.

"There's no question in my mind that they're coming. It's just a question of when," said New Jersey Nets part owner and relocation committee member Lewis Katz.

Sonics chairman Clay Bennett, who categorized Tuesday as a proud day, stopped short of saying Oklahoma City sealed the deal with the NBA.

"We made important progress," Bennett said.

The question of when will be decided by a federal court case to begin June 16 in Seattle between the city of Seattle and Bennett's Oklahoma-based ownership group. Seattle officials are seeking a ruling that the Sonics are obligated to fulfill the remaining two years on their arena lease only by playing in Seattle until the lease's expiration in 2010. Bennett's group is attempting to fulfill the lease through a buyout that would include paying off the remaining rent as well as other incentives for the city of Seattle.

"We're prepared to engage in the trial, and we're prepared to abide by the ruling," Bennett said.

Stern said the league will hold the vote at its scheduled time despite the pending court decision, making the ruling contingent on when the Sonics are legally allowed to move.

"If in fact the committee recommends it to the board, and the board votes in a positive fashion, they will do so recognizing that everything is subject to the terms of the lease in Seattle," Stern said. "So the approval will be with respect to whenever the team is free to move, they will be approved to move."

Stern, already familiar with Oklahoma City because of the temporarily displaced New Orleans Hornets the past two years, said he and the committee learned more about the state of Oklahoma and how the state would successfully support a permanent NBA franchise.

A unified front by Oklahoma leaders at the Skirvin Hotel impressed the relocation committee enough to give Oklahoma City the thumbs up. NBA executives were greeted by Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor, Gov. Brad Henry, Oklahoma State House Speaker Chris Beng and former Gov. Frank Keating.

Leading businessmen and Sonics part owners Aubrey McClendon, Tom Ward and Jay Scaramucci also attended the meetings as well as Jeffrey Records of MidFirst Bank, Everett Dobson of Dobson Communications and Bob Howard. OSU President Burns Hargis, OU football coach Bob Stoops and OSU athletic director Mike Holder also represented the state.

"There's just something about being in the room with all of the people who are in charge," said Stern, adding that Oklahoma City would have "no chance" of landing an NBA team if voters didn't approve $121 million in tax funding on March 4 to go toward renovating the Ford Center.

"I think in its totality, the way it was presented, it had a great influence on the committee members. It was very impressive, and one understands why it's more than Oklahoma City. It's Oklahoma."

Said Henry of the relocation committee: "They're impressed with the cohesiveness of this community and this state. I just can't imagine that the owners would turn down our request for a team on April 18."

Karried
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
ahhh Pete, I wish you could watch all the news coverage first hand... it's very exciting.

bornhere
03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
What is Frank Keating doing in that mix?

okclee
03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Where was Mike Gundy in that mix??

TStheThird
03-26-2008, 12:35 AM
He is a man and he is 40 and he doesn't like the NBA because it is garbage. It makes him want to puke. That is all I have to say about that.

OSUFan
03-26-2008, 07:47 AM
Stern was asked if the vote failed would the Sonics be coming to OKC. Stern said "No Chance". I thought David Glover said they would come if the vote failed. I guess David Glover also think the average family of four in OKC spend $60,000 taxable goods in OKC also.

metro
03-26-2008, 08:51 AM
I was thinking when he leaves the Village to shop, maybe he should just shop, but not have to pay the sales tax for a city he doesn't live in.

Everybody touched by decisions made by Oklahoma City's municipal government has every right to be at council meetings.
Clay Bennett lives in Nichols Hills - maybe he should never be allowed to address the city council.

Clay Bennett also doesn't attend OKC City Council meetings and parade around for attention at the meetings. He also owns/has interest in several of OKC's highest paying companies.

metro
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Where was Mike Gundy in that mix??

and Jenny Carlson.........

wsucougz
03-26-2008, 09:42 AM
•Jeanie Buss, VP of the Los Angeles Lakers and member of the relocation committee.

I'd hit it.

bornhere
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Clay Bennett certainly does attend council meetings occasionally and speaks at them as well.

Read the Oklahoman's team coverage today, which could be summed up as 'rich white guys from out of state very impressed with local rich white guys.'

The Oke used to run stories like that all the time in the ELG days – usually in connection with the Rangers or Opryland or luxury hotels or the fairgrounds or Enterprise Square, USA (the Disneyland of free enterprise!) or half-baked revivals of 'Bonanza' – which were inevitably cited for their 'solid management' and 'visionary leadership.'

I still would like to know how Washington insurance lobbyist Frank Keating fits into this.

MikeLucky
03-26-2008, 01:34 PM
Clay Bennett certainly does attend council meetings occasionally and speaks at them as well.

Read the Oklahoman's team coverage today, which could be summed up as 'rich white guys from out of state very impressed with local rich white guys.'

The Oke used to run stories like that all the time in the ELG days – usually in connection with the Rangers or Opryland or luxury hotels or the fairgrounds or Enterprise Square, USA (the Disneyland of free enterprise!) or half-baked revivals of 'Bonanza' – which were inevitably cited for their 'solid management' and 'visionary leadership.'

I still would like to know how Washington insurance lobbyist Frank Keating fits into this.

Well Keating was the Governor during MAPS, was he not? Is it not okay to assemble as many influential Oklahomans for this effort as we can? I don't understand the problem.....

John
03-26-2008, 02:34 PM

He carries a lot more weight (especially in dealing with people such as Stern) than good ol' boy Henry.

andy157
03-26-2008, 03:55 PM
He carries a lot more weight (especially in dealing with people such as Stern) than good ol' boy Henry.How do you know that to be true? Did Stern tell you that?

metro
03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
andy, I just think he means overall politically Keating carries a much greater weight than Henry. Most people don't know who Henry is nationwide. They do with Keating. Keating is a regular contributor to FOX News, CNN, etc.

jbrown84
03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
He was also a candidate for Bush's VP and later Attorney General.

CuatrodeMayo
03-26-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd hit it.

If I was 40.

CCOKC
03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Speaking as a 41 year old woman, I hope you meant that in a good way.

Doug Loudenback
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
From the vantage point of a cool 64 year old guy, ALL 41 year old women are inherently desirable. Or, is that what you meant? :dizzy:

andy157
03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
andy, I just think he means overall politically Keating carries a much greater weight than Henry. Most people don't know who Henry is nationwide. They do with Keating. Keating is a regular contributor to FOX News, CNN, etc.Maybe, maybe not. If Keating is going to be given credit for the passage of MAPS during his term, should Henry be given credit for landing an NBA team during his?

metro
03-27-2008, 07:49 AM
andy, myself nor anyone else gave "credit" to Keating for "MAPS". We're just talking about who has more national political clout and despite the blunder Keating made, he does have more national clout and recognition and that has been clearly evident in the national media.

John
03-27-2008, 01:00 PM
Fact: Frank Keating has much more political/business 'cred' than Henry has or ever will have.

metro has hit the other points, good job.

bornhere
03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
And maybe he can get the team a great deal on Dilantin.

andy157
03-27-2008, 03:12 PM
andy, myself nor anyone else gave "credit" to Keating for "MAPS". We're just talking about who has more national political clout and despite the blunder Keating made, he does have more national clout and recognition and that has been clearly evident in the national media.Post #21 IMO sure seems to imply that he be given credit for MAPS. That was my point.

MikeLucky
03-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Post #21 IMO sure seems to imply that he be given credit for MAPS. That was my point.

read it again... It's quite a leap you are making..... I said "he was governor during MAPS" and that it doesn't hurt to have as many influential Okies there as possible.... Not once did I say he should be given credit for MAPS or even imply that. The fact is he WAS the governor during MAPS so it isn't completely ridiculous to have him involved with this endeavor.....

andy157
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
read it again... It's quite a leap you are making..... I said "he was governor during MAPS" and that it doesn't hurt to have as many influential Okies there as possible.... Not once did I say he should be given credit for MAPS or even imply that. The fact is he WAS the governor during MAPS so it isn't completely ridiculous to have him involved with this endeavor.....I read it. You said; "well Keating was the Governor during MAPS, WAS HE NOT? " You read mine. I said it is IN MY OPINION that you SEEM to imply that he be given credit for MAPS. And it still is. You brought MAPS into this issue not me. You must have had some reason for linking Keating to MAPS.

MikeLucky
03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
I read it. You said; "well Keating was the Governor during MAPS, WAS HE NOT? " You read mine. I said it is IN MY OPINION that you SEEM to imply that he be given credit for MAPS. And it still is. You brought MAPS into this issue not me. You must have had some reason for linking Keating to MAPS.

Because the NBA coming to Oklahoma has a lot to do with MAPS. It's a simple connection. Keating was the governor during MAPS. As far as I'm concerned Toby Keith should have been there too since he has a restaurant and bar in Bricktown which has helped with the growth of the area. Does that mean he is responsible for MAPS? NO. It's the same leap you are taking, though.....

Why don't you go ahead and tell us why you have a problem with Keating..... you obviously are dying to. LOL

andy157
03-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Because the NBA coming to Oklahoma has a lot to do with MAPS. It's a simple connection. Keating was the governor during MAPS. As far as I'm concerned Toby Keith should have been there too since he has a restaurant and bar in Bricktown which has helped with the growth of the area. Does that mean he is responsible for MAPS? NO. It's the same leap you are taking, though.....

Why don't you go ahead and tell us why you have a problem with Keating..... you obviously are dying to. LOLMAPS did have a lot to do with the NBA coming to OKC. I agree. I think thats what you meant. Henry was to. Clinton was the President of the United States of America during MAPS. So what. If anyone deserves credit and should of been there, it should have been Ron Norick. Who's leaping to assumptions now? LOL

metro
03-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Again andy157, the point is that Keating has political clout nationwide (not due to MAPS). He is STILL a frequent guest and contributor on a variety of news and political shows, CNN, FOX NEWS, etc. This is something you will never see Henry on unless he's asking for federal help due to an emergency situation. I'm not saying Henry is a bad governor by any means, the point was people nationwide know who Keating is (hence why he was at the NBA press conference). If it wasn't for Keating taking money for his kids college fund, he'd probably be the VP of the United States right now and not Cheney.

MikeLucky
03-28-2008, 09:25 AM
MAPS did have a lot to do with the NBA coming to OKC. I agree. I think thats what you meant. Henry was to. Clinton was the President of the United States of America during MAPS. So what. If anyone deserves credit and should of been there, it should have been Ron Norick. Who's leaping to assumptions now? LOL

Dude, I never said, implied, insinuated, or even suggested that Keating was responsible for MAPS - period, end of story.

YOU made that leap and you obviously wanted to bash on Keating. Which is fine, but just do it already...... and quit saying I led you there...... You can't pin this one on me..... LOL

jbrown84
03-28-2008, 09:31 AM
I'd take Keating over Cheney any day.

bornhere
03-28-2008, 09:34 AM
If Keating had political clout, he'd be in the administration, not lined up with Bill Bennett, Karl Rove and a host of other integrity-challenged Republicans playing pundit on cable channels.

And when you said 'taking money for his kids' college fund,' are you sure you didn't mean, 'taking money for his kids' college fund and then browbeating the state corrections director to force-feed anti-seizure medication to prison inmates so he could collect more money for his kids' college fund'?

We're talking about a guy whose ethics were too sleazy for the Bush administration.

I'd say a more likely reason he was at that meeting was that someone among the partners brought him there as a political favor to boost his local profile. It wasn't as if Oklahomans were rending their garments and begging him to stay when he left for his DC lobbying job.

andy157
03-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Dude, I never said, implied, insinuated, or even suggested that Keating was responsible for MAPS - period, end of story.

YOU made that leap and you obviously wanted to bash on Keating. Which is fine, but just do it already...... and quit saying I led you there...... You can't pin this one on me..... LOLDude if you say so. If, and/or when I feel the need to bash Keating then I'll start a thread for that purpose, and let you know.

andy157
03-28-2008, 11:58 PM
I'd take Keating over Cheney any day.One thing is for sure. He sure couldn't have been any worse. (WS that was a compliment)