View Full Version : Big Domed Stadium in OKC area???

SoonerDave
03-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I frankly don't believe it, but I found this article today:

ArkLaTexhomepage.com - Investors Announce Plan For Domed Stadium (http://arklatexhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=13102)

I can't fathom anyone building something like that in competition with Jerry World down in Arlington, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Anyone have any other info on this?

-David

metro
03-21-2008, 04:09 PM
I haven't heard anything remotely close about that. I wouldn't turn it down (especially if it's privately financed), however why in the heck would they build it without an NFL or MLS team ,etc. 100,000 seats? That's more than OU's Memorial Stadium. I find it a bit odd the ArkLaTex website covers this but nothing in OKC is covering it first?

SoonerDave
03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
This is supposedly brand-new stuff, just coming out today or yesterday I guess.

Well, that's what makes it so unrealistic on the face to me. You can put all the concerts and stuff you want in there, but you're not going to make back that kind of investment without a serious pro sports franchise.

Hey, I'm an optimist, if they want to build it, that's fine with me. Sounds great, but I've heard of great plans in the past that never see the light of day. The artists renderings are really compelling looking, I must admit..

-David

OKCisOK4me
03-21-2008, 04:18 PM
It's a little early, but....April Fool's Day anyone. Sad joke if it truly is that...

OKCisOK4me
03-21-2008, 04:19 PM
The artists renderings are really compelling looking, I must admit..

-David

Where did you see that at?

metro
03-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I didn't see any renderings on the link you provided, please show them, even if this is a joke.

SoonerDave
03-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Here's a link to an article that has what looks like either a computer rendering or an artist's rendering:

Alva Review/Courier (http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v2.cfm?pnpID=348&NewsID=887472&CategoryID=263&show=localnews&om=2)

My mom just told me this same article is also appearing in this week's Capitol Hill Beacon newspaper. The investor group was being represented by someone named Jerry Kobyluk, and the only other references to that name I can find on the web are to a defunct political campaign. Not sure I"m ready to jump on board believing this quite yet...none of the other news sites have anything on this....surely if its real it will catch someone's eye??

That said, someone else here was saying something about some new downtown rumors getting ready to unfold...

-David

Pete
03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
There is an article in the on-line Alva newspaper, but 1) why would nobody else be covering this? and 2) who the heck is Jerry Kobyluk?

http://news.mywebpal.com/partners/348/images/news/S_domestadium.gif

Pete
03-21-2008, 04:39 PM
One of the early Core 2 Shore concepts showed a domed stadium where the grain co-op is now located.

Also, the article said the project would include 1 million sq.ft. of convention space, so that would be a great fit in the Core 2 Shore plan.

This is probably all just a pipe dream but that's how all big plans start.

solitude
03-21-2008, 04:42 PM
This guy is from Spencer and has run for Governor two or three times, run for the U.S. Senate, lost to a dead woman in a primary in one of his races and is a farmer/rancher. By putting all of this together, I say he is simply in dire need of some attention. A crank.

Karried
03-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Jerry Kobyluk = Crackpot

Steve
03-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Different news organizations have different news judgments.

Kerry
03-21-2008, 07:44 PM
When is the Seahawks lease up?

Pete
03-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Different news organizations have different news judgments.

That pretty much says it all.

It's a fun fantasy, though.

MikeLucky
03-22-2008, 01:45 AM
When is the Seahawks lease up?

:congrats:

:LolLolLol

dalelakin
03-22-2008, 07:41 AM
To me with the wording in the last few sentences I took it as a dig on the recent Ford Center upgrades vote.

rwood8
03-22-2008, 10:48 AM
wow.

unbelievable.

CCOKC
03-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Not sure which is sadder, that someone would initiate this story in the first place or that a paper would print it. I was listening to the Sports Animal (or maybe it was JOX) the other day and someone called in from one of these small towns inquiring about this story. Of course no one had ever heard of this project and just dismissed the guy as not knowing what he was talking about. Apparently it hit one of the local news wires and was printed as fact in some of the smaller papers around the state. Perhaps Steve would have more insight into this than I would.

solitude
03-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Well, this should tell you something....I talked just talked to an aide to Secretary Shirley over at the the Department of Commerce and they knew nothing about it. They laughed. The world's largest domed facility --- in Oklahoma? They would know about it.

Pete
03-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Unicorn rides!
March 18th, 2008 · 2 Comments

By Stacy Swan
The Journal Record

Editor’s note: This article contains commentary.

OK, so we got this press release from Jerry Kobyluk. Name sound familiar? Does it remind you of something funny? It should. More on that later.

Here’s the press release (verbatim with no proofreading or copy editing).

Oklahoma City— A group of investors represented by Jerry Kobyluk, announced today that they plan to build a 100,000 seat Dome Stadium which will cost 1.2 Billion dollars, in one of three possible locations in the central Oklahoma vicinity.

The Dome Stadium will be the largest of it’s kind in North America. It will have a natural grass retractable field on a Hitachi track system that can be removed in forty-five minutes or replaced in the same amount of time. “The retractable roof is three and a half acres in size,” Kobyluk said.

The construction phase will create forty-five hundred jobs for Oklahomans, and take thirty-nine months until completion. The multipurpose facility offers an endless amount of opportunities for football, soccer, basketball, boxing, rodeos, concerts, etc. The facility will have 158 corporate suites and over 1 million feet of convention space.

“The benefits from this massive project will create tax revenues for schools, roads, and other infrastructure and will be an enormous economic boost for the entire State of Oklahoma,” Kobyluk said.

– End of press release –

Wow! A brand-new domed stadium right here in – wait a minute, there’s no way this is for real.

I decided to call Jerry Kobyluk and find out.

He said the project has been in the making for about four years. He said he would not reveal any of the “three possible locations” mentioned in the release. I asked what the local officials of the three phantom towns thought about it. He said they were simply “aware” of the plan.

He said a group of investors is willing to pony up $1.2 billion but would like to remain anonymous for now. I couldn’t peg him down on exactly why. First, he said they wanted to get a “feel” for things or something to that effect. I asked him if they were anticipating any negative response, and he was quick to say no, they weren’t.

Really? They don’t think anyone’s going to come out and say “There’s no way you’re going to build that gaudy monstrosity in my backyard!” or “If these people think they’re going to maintain and keep sports teams in a stadium like this with only private funding, they’re feces-flinging insane.”

Speaking of adversity, I asked Kobyluk if he foresaw “any roadblocks for this project.” He said he didn’t. No, seriously, he said he didn’t see anything standing in the way of building a gigantic domed stadium wherever the hell he wants to. He also said local officials won’t really play a big role in this project because it’s going to be privately funded.

So let me get this straight. He actually thinks just because he has the money, which I doubt, he can just plunk a huge stadium down anywhere he wants to? Just who does this guy think he is?

Well, apparently he’s a failed politician. Remember when I told you the name Jerry Kobyluk probably reminded you of something funny, but you didn’t remember what?

He’s the guy from Oklahoma – Spencer to be exact – who ran for one of our U.S. Senate seats in 1998. He seemingly failed to raise one dollar outside of his own pocket. He placed last in the primary – 2,000 votes behind a dead woman.

After the race, he was quoted in The New York Times: “I’m not complaining. I’m just wondering what the voters were thinking.”

Right now, I’m wondering what Jerry Kobyluk is thinking. Who are these so-called investors who are willing to pony up $1.2 billion for the biggest domed stadium in the history of time and space? This guy couldn’t even get dollar ONE for his Senate campaign. But somehow he can get $1.2 billion for a monster stadium with no known sports team or other tenant attached to it.

Oh, and he also ran for governor a couple of times – as a Republican. And as a Democrat.

So let’s see what we know about this doomed domed stadium project so far. We know Kobyluk is heavily involved. He said there are three investors who apparently have access to $1.2 billion. He said they want to remain anonymous for now – but wouldn’t say why. He said there are three possible locations for the stadium – but he wouldn’t say where.

Throughout our conversation – and clearly in an effort to skirt my questions – Kobyluk kept insisting that I wait a couple of weeks for his next press release. I couldn’t even get a clear answer on what that press release was going to be about. From what I could ascertain, it’s going to be somewhere between more sketchy information and the huge, official announcement that it’s actually going to be built – and that it will feature unicorn rides for all the little elf children.

Personally, I think Kobyluk is the only one waiting a couple of weeks. Perhaps to see if there are any billionaires standing around with less than a fourth-grade education who say, “Yeah! I want to get in on this, too!” And magically, Kobyluk will have his $1.2 billion. Perhaps he’s also waiting to see if there are any central Oklahoma towns with enough space just lying around for the largest domed stadium in North America. Then again, if he really thinks he can pull this off and maintain it solely on private funding, any town might consider it a pretty sweet deal. Sign me up for a unicorn ride.

solitude
03-22-2008, 04:25 PM
When the guy I talked to said they knew nothing about it until the "press release," I didn't know this was in the JR. I bet this is how they found out! Can you imagine, the Department of Commerce learns of the largest domed stadium in North America to be built in our state - in the paper?

Thanks for posting this. That's funny. By the way, on a more serious topic, have I told you about the new amusement park/resort (bigger than Disney World) that I'm building in....oh wait....I'll have a press release soon. Just give me a few days.

bornhere
03-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Actually, something like that happened once. It was going to be called Seven Continents, and it was going to be built at Stroud.

chuckdiesel
03-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Even if this were real, placing it anywhere outside of central OKC would be financial suicide. Even in central OKC it is financial suicide for possible investors.

solitude
03-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Actually, something like that happened once. It was going to be called Seven Continents, and it was going to be built at Stroud.

I remember that! There was also the long-ago rumored Disney plans for the Arbuckle Mountains. I'm getting old.

Oh, but my plans include a unicorn......wait...that was the other guy. My plans are....you'll just have to wait. But I'll tell you this: it will cost billions and bring tons of jobs to Oklahoma. The Pope has plans to bless my park. Just wait! Check out tomorrow's Bugtussle Times as I'm expecting a front page splash.

so1rfan
03-23-2008, 02:45 AM
There is an article in the on-line Alva newspaper, but 1) why would nobody else be covering this? and 2) who the heck is Jerry Kobyluk?

Is it just me or does this thing look like a bedpan?

Rifleman2C
03-23-2008, 09:01 AM

Um, yeah. I was thinking the title of this thread should read "Big Doomed Stadium in OKC area..."

Kerry
03-23-2008, 04:31 PM
I agree that I don't see this happening but does anone know where the image is from? Does anyone remember the plan for Okladome in the 80's. The Cardinals were supposed to move from St. Louis in 1982 but needed a temporary home while a 75,000 stadium was built at the fairgrounds. However, OU wouldn't let them use Owen Field plus the oil bust hit so in '88 they moved to Phoenix. The rest is history.

OKCisOK4me
03-23-2008, 05:13 PM

LMAO

I thought it looked like a spaceship from Star Trek or something but that's pretty good.

bombermwc
03-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Smells like a load of crap, looks like a load of crap....must be a load of crap.

JWil
03-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Oh lord, this whole deal is insanely stupid. No way and no how. And really, we just don't need it and Jerry Jones/Cowboys would never let an NFL team move here anyway.

As for this OklaDome thing... I'm but a young babe and didn't live in OKC then... I'd love to hear more about that deal. You're saying OKC almost got the NFL Cards back in the day? Interesting.

Kerry
03-25-2008, 05:48 AM
JWil - i was pretty young myself at the time but in the early 80's the Cards where going to relocate to OKC. The oil boom was in full swing and there was a plan to build a 75,000 seat dome stadium at the fairgrounds. However, the Cards needed a temporary home while the stadium was under construction and they wanted to use Owen Field in Norman. I guess OU feared competition for sports dollars or were afraid that the dome stadium would never get built and they would be stuck at OU forever so they said no. I think there was also opposition from the Gaylords but I can't remember for sure.

Anyhow, a deal couldn't be reached by the time of the oil bust so the Cards went to Phoenix and played at Arizona State for for about 18 years until their current stadium was built. OKC came this close, you can't see it but my fingers are about 1 inch apart, to getting the NFL.

Harvey Hudson
03-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I had heard that a certain EXPRESSive person was looking at puting a coalition together to look into buying the Chargers.

I personally can not attest to the validity of this rumor but if someone can do it, he could. Im just not sure he could get anyone else locally to pitch in.

SoonerDave
03-25-2008, 08:40 AM
JWil - i was pretty young myself at the time but in the early 80's the Cards where going to relocate to OKC. The oil boom was in full swing and there was a plan to build a 75,000 seat dome stadium at the fairgrounds. However, the Cards needed a temporary home while the stadium was under construction and they wanted to use Owen Field in Norman. I guess OU feared competition for sports dollars or were afraid that the dome stadium would never get built and they would be stuck at OU forever so they said no. I think there was also opposition from the Gaylords but I can't remember for sure.

Anyhow, a deal couldn't be reached by the time of the oil bust so the Cards went to Phoenix and played at Arizona State for for about 18 years until their current stadium was built. OKC came this close, you can't see it but my fingers are about 1 inch apart, to getting the NFL.

Man, I'm really having to dig deep to bring up any recolleciton of the Cardinals piece of the puzzle, but I remember plans for the dome at the Fairgrounds. I recall, however, it being more tied with the fact that the Gaylords were talking about bringing the flagging Rangers MLB franchise up from their then-awful snakepit of a park in Arlington. There was little to no public support for the idea, and then-gov Henry Bellmon basically killed the thing by proposing some worthless, smaller venue to be paid for via some state tax mechanism, which failed miserably (and deservedly so, it was a stupid, half-baked idea).

As far as the football stadium/Owen Field thing, I have a vague recollection that of the issues that could not be resolved dealt with the sales of alcohol in the stadium, strictly a no-no, but a standard beverage at most any pro sports venue. I don't think OU had the option of even negotiating that issue away - they just couldn't - state law, something. THere may also have been concerns about the ability of stadium support people to turn the stadium around in well-under 24 hours during the times college ball and pro ball were in season, eg if OU and the Cards would have had home games the same weekend. Lots of logistical issues with that one...

-David

SoonerDave
03-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I had heard that a certain EXPRESSive person was looking at puting a coalition together to look into buying the Chargers.

I personally can not attest to the validity of this rumor but if someone can do it, he could. Im just not sure he could get anyone else locally to pitch in.

At some point, no matter how optimistic we might be, we have to recognize the limits of the business resources here in OK/OKC...getting an NBA team is no small feat, and the notion of someone else trying to work a deal for an NFL franchise (no matter how intriguing) would be MONUMENTALLY expensive. Even with companies like Chesapeake, Devon, Express, etc, there's a limit to just how much $$$ they can roll into things like sports sponsorships...

Kerry
03-25-2008, 08:55 AM
I don't think OKC can support the NBA and NFL yet - and I stress yet. Jacksonville has an NFL team and it is about the size of Tulsa. However, I don't think anyone is looking at Jacksonville as model city for the NFL. JAX is one expansion market I'll bet the NFL is sorry they went with.

BDP
03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
Obviously, this is a farce (I don't even think it has a retractable roof. No one is building domes these days without one. :dizzy: ), but I do think it would be great if the city had some sort of outdoor stadium, either at the fairgrounds or river. I don't see it getting any support anytime soon, but I can't imagine us going another 30 years without having one at some point. For the time being, I don't see why we couldn't consider a 12-30k outdoor venue within the city. I think maybe core 2 shore has some plans for something like that, but I am not sure if that's being pursued on any real level. It seems the Mayor still thinks this will happen at the Brick at some point, right?

Ideally, there'd be more private investment than we've had thus far on something like that. Hopefully, the NBA proves viable enough that it can motivate some private investment into an outdoor venue at some point.

Pete
03-25-2008, 09:07 AM
When Taft Stadium is the best facility the city has to offer, it's time to at least start planning for something new.

Considering the huge amount of property and focus on recreation in Core to Shore, it certainly should be included.

MikeLucky
03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
I posted this in a previous thread, but I would like to see OKC build a facility like this....

Personally I would like to build something like this arena:

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/moving.gif

Saitama Super Arena - Facility Information

It would be expensive.... but we can have it configurable for a top notch NBA facility or as a 40,000 seat stadium. We could bid for Men's Final Fours, division II/III championship football games, OU could play scrimmages there, OSU could play games there (ha ha), MLS, large political conventions, some major concerts and music festivals.... you get my point.

But, it would be the most unique and identifiable stadium/arena in the US and it would truly set us apart, as well as make OKC more viable for some pretty major events.

Configured as stadium:

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/s.gif

Configured as arena:

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/m.gif

Tandem use:

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/zu4.gif

Even as a 6,000 seat Hall configuration:

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/h.gif

It has concert settings ranging from 12,500 to 37,000:

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/zu2-1.gif

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/zu2-2.gif

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/zu2-3.gif

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/zu1-3.gif

http://www.saitama-arena.co.jp/e/img/zu1-1.gif

I know it would be really expensive, but it's something so versatile that it would be something that would serve our city for upwards of 30 years...... or more...... Although I doubt it would be more expensive than a 100,000 seat, 1.3 billion dollar dome.... LOL

Just an idea......

SoonerDave
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Obviously, this is a farce (I don't even think it has a retractable roof. No one is building domes these days without one. :dizzy: )

Despite its lack of credibility, the report did say that the roof on the place would be retractable....in fact, it went to enough detail so as to say it would be mounted on a some sort of an Hitachi-based system...have no clue where that came from.

Too bad the whole thing comes from a crackpot.

jbrown84
04-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Moshe Tal is one of his mysterious investors.

Kerry
04-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Moshe Tal is one of his mysterious investors.

Are you serious or just being funny?

jbrown84
04-02-2008, 11:08 AM
just kidding.

Kerry
04-02-2008, 12:07 PM
You scared the crap out of me with that one. While I don't think this is real it would be cool to have and I would support a private development of this magnitude. I think there is a 1% chance this could be legit but attaching Tal to it would have destroyed that 1% chance.

jbrown84
04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, is he even in Oklahoma anymore? Haven't heard a peep out of him.

MikeLucky
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Man, I'm really having to dig deep to bring up any recolleciton of the Cardinals piece of the puzzle, but I remember plans for the dome at the Fairgrounds. I recall, however, it being more tied with the fact that the Gaylords were talking about bringing the flagging Rangers MLB franchise up from their then-awful snakepit of a park in Arlington. There was little to no public support for the idea, and then-gov Henry Bellmon basically killed the thing by proposing some worthless, smaller venue to be paid for via some state tax mechanism, which failed miserably (and deservedly so, it was a stupid, half-baked idea).

And that right there kids is the difference between Indianapolis and OKC. Both cities were pretty close in population and status in the early 80's. Both cities wanted to build downtown domes to spur growth and attract a team. Both cities needed their residents to take the leap of faith and pay for a facility with the hope that a permanent tenant would become available.

OKC sat back and did nothing..... Indy built the RCA dome in 1984 and of course the rest is history......

I am glad that OKC changed it's past philosophy when the Ford Center came about.....

y_h
04-02-2008, 02:23 PM

That model is actually a mock up of the original design for what is now University of Phoenix Stadium - home of the Arizona Cardinals. It was originally rendered to look like a coiled rattlesnake but they changed the plans in order to make a retractable roof more feasible and went with the barrel cactus design instead.

Thunder
06-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Anyone know anything more since this discussion ended 2 months ago?

Is this actually going to happen?

I disagree with Kerry saying that OKC will not support NBA team.

Pete
06-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Thunder, the guy that proposed it has zero credibility and this was never a real project.

The Oklahoman and Journal Record didn't even pick up the press release, which shows you how much stock they put in the story.

Steve
06-08-2008, 07:12 PM
And both papers were well aware of it.