View Full Version : Choo,Choo,Chugga,Chugga,choo,choo

brnok
03-19-2008, 11:37 PM
I live a few blocks W of Kelly & can hear the train whistle a blowin' :)

How far West & East can this be heard? A close friend , living in Kickingbird, says it sounds the same there as it does here.

onemoreokie
03-20-2008, 08:05 AM
I can hear it when the wind is still inside my house near 2nd and Coltrane.

OKCisOK4me
03-21-2008, 01:32 AM
On any given night a train whistle can be heard as far as five miles away depending on if the train is going toward or away from where you are. Of course, the distance may be much less if you're in the city, like us.

Luke
03-21-2008, 07:34 AM
I lived at Shartel and 20th and heard it everyday in my apartment. Now we live in Del City off Bryant and can hear the train in our house in the wind isn't blowing.

teacher girl
03-21-2008, 07:46 AM
we lived off shartel and 17th and heard it all the time, especially in the middle of the night when the world is dead silent!! I would always wonder what they were blowing their whistle at and why it was so loud

FritterGirl
03-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I can hear it from Western, especially at night when there is less traffic.

What always chaps my hide is why the trains have to pass through during the p.m. rush hour when everyone is trying to get home. Traffic in Edmond along the Broadway corridor is bad enough as it is. Add a train in the mix - and trains that often stop for minutes at a time to change tracks or whatever it is they do - then it's really a disaster.

My husband used to live in Augusta, and they banned the trains from impeding with rush hour traffic, both a.m. and p.m.

That being said, I love the way they sound.

I exercise at a place not 1/4-mile from the tracks, and really enjoy it when the trains roll by. They're strangely hypnotic and relaxing.

OkieHornet
03-22-2008, 08:07 PM
2nd & Santa Fe and i can hear it right now... i love the trains when they rumble through...

OKCisOK4me
03-23-2008, 12:01 AM
I doubt there would be anyone willing to invest into putting the tracks in to a trench through Edmond but it would definitely be something to consider since there really isn't that much switch off traffic.

They could go below grade from that grain silo just north of the concrete mixing place and level off to a point that would probably be even with the lower point of the line just north of Danforth Rd.

Edmond used to be called Summit because it was (still is) the highest point on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe line through Oklahoma.

I've heard that when they redo the Broadway Extension/Memorial Rd/Kelly Ave. interchange that they want to make Kelly go over the tracks! That combined with a trench project would get rid of every single crossing with the trains...silencing the whistles in the process. The only place we'd have to worry about any traffic is from the Memorial Road crossing & south.

Check this link out to see an example:

Alameda Corridor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alameda_Corridor)

The Alameda Corridor is in Los Angeles and obviously was a lot easier to fund in a city of millions rather than in a city like Edmond with a population of 80,000.

OKCitizen
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
15th & Santa Fe (Trails South) ... the train whistles go WOOOO! WOOOOO!

mmonroe
06-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Lmao. Wooo! Wooo!

Kerry
06-12-2008, 11:38 AM
My grandma used to spin yarns about a spectral locomotive that used to rocket past the farm where she grew up.

From Ghostbusters

John
06-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Grew up near 150th & Western and you could hear the train.

I've always lived within a couple of the train, interestinly enough.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-12-2008, 01:30 PM
:woowoo:

Bubb Rubb rocks.

Dah wissle go wooooWOOOOOO!

It's jus fo decoration.

Nnzw_i4YmKk

Tom Elmore
06-12-2008, 02:18 PM
UTAH FRONT RUNNER COMMUTER TRAINS QUIET CORRIDOR....
(Send your kudos and congratulations to Ernest J. Istook, c/o Foshee/Yaffee Law Firm, OKC // When you're in Utah, ask 'em for a free ride -- after all, your federal Transit contributions likely helped pay for it....)

UTA Press Releases
Shhh! Quiet Zone Begin Along FrontRunner Corridor
05/02/2008
Longest quiet zone in the United States hushes trains for neighbors Beginning at 12:01 a.m. this morning

Salt Lake City, UT—Trains along the 38-mile FrontRunner Commuter Rail Corridor from Ogden to Salt Lake City will not be required to regularly sound horns at crossings starting May 2, 2008. This quiet zone applies to all trains in the corridor and is the longest quiet zone in the nation to date.

Normally the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) requires trains to sound horns a quarter mile before and after an at-grade crossing. Under a FRA rule, cities can apply for a quiet zone provided that crossings meet certain safety requirements. The UTA FrontRunner Project improved safety at the grade crossings between Salt Lake City and Ogden by adding features that prevent cars from entering a crossing when gates have been lowered.

"UTA made the safety improvements because we would be operating over 60 FrontRunner Trains a day in the corridor," said Steve Meyer, UTA manager of FrontRunner Design and Construction. "This quiet zone is one of many benefits that this project is bringing to the citizens of Weber, Davis and Salt Lake counties. We are proud of the leadership shown by the corridor cities to make this quiet zone possible."

Woods Cross City Mayor Kent Parry led fourteen other cities through the quiet zone application process. "For years our citizens have lived with nearly 35 trains a day, sounding their horns at all hours. Woods Cross and other cities seized the opportunity of this new horn rule and UTA's safety improvements to provide a better quality of life for those who live and work in our communities," said Parry.

UTA encourages motorists and pedestrians to always expect a train, never trespass in a railroad corridor and obey all traffic laws. While trains will not be required to regularly sound horns, they may do so on occasion if there is a safety concern such as a trespasser or vehicle entering the crossing, or other compelling need.

mmonroe
06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
:woowoo:

Bubb Rubb rocks.

Dah wissle go wooooWOOOOOO!

It's jus fo decoration.

Nnzw_i4YmKk

das only in the mornin, you spose to be up cook'n breakfast or somebody. So, It's like an alarm clock, woo woo.

"Yeah, i gots one in ma car." -Lil Sis

OKCitizen
06-13-2008, 08:47 AM
"breakfits"

au_k9s
08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
When the conditions are right, we can hear the horn at night by I-35 and 15th.

prerunner1982
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
I use to live in a house about 20 ft from the tracks in downtown Edmond... now thats loud.. took some getting use to at 3am when the two trains would meet, one would stop on the side tracks and would make a hell of a racket when it took off again. I now live on Penn and Charter Oak and on certain nights I can still hear the train...

AFwife04
01-30-2011, 08:52 PM
We live near Danforth and Santa Fe and can hear them, mainly at night. I can hear them during the day if I am just sitting around the house and not focused on other things.

Debzkidz
01-31-2011, 03:44 PM
We live near Danforth and Coltrane and we hear it all the time. It never bothers us, and actually we usually don't notice it. It's just backround noise, like the cars driving down the street.

Of Sound Mind
02-04-2011, 10:42 AM
I've heard that when they redo the Broadway Extension/Memorial Rd/Kelly Ave. interchange that they want to make Kelly go over the tracks! That combined with a trench project would get rid of every single crossing with the trains...silencing the whistles in the process. The only place we'd have to worry about any traffic is from the Memorial Road crossing & south.

Unless you know of a newer project, this interchange was redone a couple years ago. As I understand it, the City of Edmond was not able to secure funding and approval to make the change to Kelly for it to go over the tracks in time for the reconstruction of that interchange, so it wasn't done.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Unless you know of a newer project, this interchange was redone a couple years ago. As I understand it, the City of Edmond was not able to secure funding and approval to make the change to Kelly for it to go over the tracks in time for the reconstruction of that interchange, so it wasn't done.

Look at my post date (March 23, 2008)....it'll make sense. And the interchange was completed in the calendar year of 2010. I know this because I avoided that area like the plague every Tuesday driving up to Edmond to bowl on league.