View Full Version : Discovery Stores?

Luke
12-10-2004, 11:57 PM
I was reading downtownguy's blog today and the very last line had this random statement:

"Has anyone got any information on Discovery Stores? Are they lurking around Bricktown for a reason?"

My question is, what are Discovery Stores?

Anyone?

Luke
12-10-2004, 11:58 PM
PS: It seems as if he's hinting at something...

mranderson
12-11-2004, 07:44 AM
I was reading downtownguy's blog today and the very last line had this random statement:

"Has anyone got any information on Discovery Stores? Are they lurking around Bricktown for a reason?"

My question is, what are Discovery Stores?

Anyone?

They are a chain of stores owned by "The Discvery Channel" networks. The stores sell videos and other things related to the programs they air.

I went in one at Mall of America. If you are in to that kind of store, it will be a good experience. I sounds like they are researching Oklahoma City for a location.

floater
12-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Science-related gift store:

http://shopping.discovery.com/

Yeah, I think downtownguy was hinting at something. Hope it happens. It would be a nice complement to Bass Pro -- fun, interactive retail!! While we're at it, we attract a kitchen goods store with cooking demonstrations, a musical instrument store, and a toy store!! Add in a bookstore with author visits, and I think you'd have a retail Disneyland in Bricktown!! With something for everyone!!!

mranderson
12-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Science-related gift store:

http://shopping.discovery.com/

Yeah, I think downtownguy was hinting at something. Hope it happens. It would be a nice complement to Bass Pro -- fun, interactive retail!! While we're at it, we attract a kitchen goods store with cooking demonstrations, a musical instrument store, and a toy store!! Add in a bookstore with author visits, and I think you'd have a retail Disneyland in Bricktown!! With something for everyone!!!

FAO Schwartz and a Viking store would do for the toys and kitchen supplies. How about a Steinway store for the music. Those would be compliments. FAO Schwartz most people know, Viking I have seen, however, I just tossed out a premier name with Steinway. I really do not know if they have their own stores.

metro
12-11-2004, 09:33 AM
FAO Schwarts used to be in OKC, I believe in the Colcord Building. Rumor has it that they have been toying with Downtown OKC again although I think its a year or two out at least.

mranderson
12-11-2004, 09:35 AM
FAO Schwarts used to be in OKC, I believe in the Colcord Building. Rumor has it that they have been toying with Downtown OKC again although I think its a year or two out at least.

When were they here? It had to be decades ago. I was raised here and do not remember them being here.

floater
12-11-2004, 09:35 AM
OMG, what an FAO Shwartz would do! But I'd take even a Toys R Us. Hmm. Sur La Table or Viking would be good and give Williams-Sonoma a run for their money. In terms of a music store, I thought a place like the former Guitar Center, or local shops like Norman Music or Larsen Music. I wish Books-A-Million would have located in Bricktown instead.

We may be overdoing the chain store bit, but as long as there is interactivity and fun , it provides a destination element that gives people something to do in Bricktown besides eat.

metro
12-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Yes, I believe in the 50's-70's or so for FAO Schwartz, there was an article not to long ago, I think on downtownguys site. I also am too young to have gone.

Sur La Table would not give us (Williams-Sonoma) a run for the money. Their products and service are far inferior, we also offer a unconditional lifetime guarantee on everything unlike any place else. Viking would be nice however they sell mostly appliances in which we do not but it would be a great compliment.

floater
12-11-2004, 09:49 AM
True about Viking. As far as Sur La Table, you are speaking like the committed W-S agent you are! A W-S downtown would be nice, I don't think they'd have another store in the market, but who knows? Any word over there in the call center about such possibilities?

metro
12-11-2004, 09:54 AM
I serioiusly doubt a downtown WS anytime soon, again, I will keep everyone posted on a new WS, Pottery Barn or any of the Williams-Sonoma Inc. brands stores opening in Oklahoma. None are on the new store calendar for next year. If any, I would suspect Spring Creek or West OKC for 2006. I dont work on the phones so I get a little bit more info than the customer service reps.

mranderson
12-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Yes, I believe in the 50's-70's or so for FAO Schwartz, there was an article not to long ago, I think on downtownguys site. I also am too young to have gone.

Sur La Table would not give us (Williams-Sonoma) a run for the money. Their products and service are far inferior, we also offer a unconditional lifetime guarantee on everything unlike any place else. Viking would be nice however they sell mostly appliances in which we do not but it would be a great compliment.

You are correct. However, more accuratly phrased, Viking is KNOWN mostly for their appliances. They are the finest made. The Rolls-Royce of ranges. My mom refuses to cook or bake with any other brand. However, the Viking stores carry a very large variety of cooking products. I am sure one can order major appliances, however, the stores carry the rest... And offer demonstrations.

Luke
12-11-2004, 09:12 PM
metro,

Tell me about this rumor that FAO Shwarz is eyeing OKC. I'm really curious about that. Didn't they go bankrupt and close up shop and now opening only a few? I remember seeing them building the one in Las Vegas. And I think there's one in Manhattan.

Luke

downtownguy
12-11-2004, 09:37 PM
I have nothing to indicate they are coming - they were located in Century Center Plaza about 25 years ago for a brief period of time. They had a sub-brand store at Memorial and Penn until the chain went bankrupt last year. I do not believe there is even a rumor of them coming here. The toy store industry is in decline right now, hit hard by the Wal Mart empire.

Luke
12-11-2004, 09:55 PM
Do you, downtownguy, have anything to indicate a Discovery Store may be coming?

downtownguy
12-11-2004, 10:16 PM
They're kicking the tires.

Luke
12-11-2004, 10:21 PM
I see.

I have been to the Discovery Channel Store in Dallas at the Galleria. I had originally posted this without realizing Discovery Store and Discovery Channel Store were the same thing.

In any case, I just emailed Discovery Channel Store to suggest that they look at putting a store downtown or in bricktown. We'll see how they respond. I'll let you guys know.

floater
12-11-2004, 10:30 PM
Downtownguy, any chance the Discovery Channel reps were there tonight? If so, they could only have been impressed.

downtownguy
12-11-2004, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't know, Floater. Anybody who was there, however, would be impressed.

Luke
12-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Indeed. I'm curious to read the papers tomorrow. Would be great if the AP got ahold of it. Wonder what our sister city thinks? (Tulsa, that is) :)

floater
12-11-2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I checked TulsaNow, and there's no mention. If there were any board members there, I would think they'd mention it. I think they'd show a grudging respect, if not some sister city pride.

Patrick
12-12-2004, 11:31 PM
I talked to Penn Square and they said Discovery Store had contacted them...unfortunately, they've leased most of their available space, and don't currently have a spae large enough for them. Quail Springs has a few spaces available, but one space is too large, and the others too small. This might cause them to consider downtown....that would be nice! Any ideas downtownguy?

Luke
12-13-2004, 05:31 AM
Hm, nice problem to have. All the malls are full so they have to look to Bricktown... maybe.

metro
12-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Someone call their corporate headquarters and find out

Patrick
12-13-2004, 11:15 PM
I'll contact them via email.

Luke
12-14-2004, 05:33 AM
I've contacted Discovery Stores by email suggesting that they look at OKC for a store and specifically mentioned Bricktown. They sent me a reply that basically said they'd send my message on to Corporate.

metro
12-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Duh, they are basically an auto response. I have worked in several call centers, basically they just get deleted and send a canned response. The only way to really get through to them is call the corporate office, thus why I mentioned the phone call. I have called them but if several of us do it can only help.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-12-2005, 10:05 PM
FAO Shwartz has one of their most impressive storesin the Galleria/Uptown area of Houston. I think Bricktown would be a neat idea, but a company like that would be more interested in the NW Expy sorta by May Avenue/Uptown area. They seem to have a tendency to enter suburban skyline kind of markets.