View Full Version : OKC Commuter Rail

BG918
07-26-2004, 10:28 PM
I know OKC looked into this only for Inhoff shut it down. Has anything else happened recently? What do people in OKC think of commuter rail?

I think if OKC did it, they should start with a downtown-Norman line with stops in south OKC and Moore. The tracks are already there, and with commuter rail the train only runs during peak times so it could "co-exist" with the freight trains that already use that route. I think the OU students alone going back and forth would make it a success, along with people in Moore and south OKC parking their cars (for free) at the station and riding into downtown. In the future a line to north OKC and Edmond should be considered.

Patrick
07-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Actually, several of us from this forum (originally from the OKC City Hall Talkback forum) formed a PAC several years ago to try to lobby city hall to build commuter rail in OKC. Unfortunately, after a year or so of beating our heads against the wall with anti-rail Kirk Humphreys, we gave up. Mick Cornett is more open to the concept though, and I think he and Burns Hargis have even mentioned a start up line as part of MAPS III. So it's being discussed and still a possiblity. I agree with you though.....we need commuter rail and we need to act now. Other cities our size and smaller are already building commuter lines, and they're successful!

Patrick
07-26-2004, 10:56 PM
Seems like the way OKC is layed out, eventually 4 lines could be constructued, for each of te 4 major suburb areas! OKC is layed out perfectly for such a system!

Don't forget the Midwest City crowd!!! Remember, Tinker is the metro's largest employer!!!

A line from downtown to the airport would be nice as well!

Isn't it funny how we're going back to the way things used to be....wanting shops downtown, wanting streetcars, trolleys, etc. downtown. I personally think it's great!

mranderson
07-31-2004, 09:44 AM
Nostalga. I thought is was Istook that "derailed" (now THAT is a pun) our light rail.

That is the reason I will vote for anyone EXCEPT Istook. My expression for him is Earnest "is tooking" our future away from us. :mad:

Patrick
08-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Yup! You are absolutely correct! Istook had the money in hand for a light rail system downtown....Istook, thinking about Oklahoma like he always does (NOT), gave the money back to the feds and said it was wasteful spending! Whatever! He's the reason we have a rubber-wheeled trolley system instead of a for real trolley system downtown now! He's an idiot! But, I guess he's anti-rail across the spectrum, because he's very opposed to the Heartland Flyer's operation! He's fighting for highway money instead and recently said the Heartland Flyer was a waste of tax payers money. I disagree! I think it might be more worthwhile if the line were extended to Tulsa, and Kansas! We need to expand rail in our state, not decrease it! I've actually been really surprised with how many people actually continue to use the Heartland Flyer. It's passed my expectations!

BG918
08-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Istook killed the trolleys too? I hate the man even more now. We really need to get some more progressive leaders representing us in Washington. One's that are urban-minded and will help OKC and Tulsa grow into bigger and better cities. And one's that support rail!

Patrick
08-03-2004, 04:59 PM
Yeah BG, the city had federal financing secured to build a trolley system downtown (this was in the early 1990's around the time when MAPS I was passed) and Istook refused it and gave the money back to the feds, saying it was a waste of federal funds. He's also voted against funding for the Heartland Flyer. Istook is no friend of rail, and definitely no friend of Oklahom. Funny thing, but Istook, several years after he refused money for rail trolleys in downtown OKC, lobbied the federal government for funding for a light rail trolley system in Salt Lake City. Istook is a Mormon so I'm not surprised.

He's also a Republican, so that's why he keeps gettig re-elected. NBothing against Republicans, but so often, people look too much at the party and not the person, especially in this state.

mranderson
08-03-2004, 05:17 PM
Nothing wrong with Republicans. As one, Istook is one of less than a hand full I want gone no matter who wins. This guy Bert Smith gets my vote.

I would vote for Satan before Istook. :mad:

Patrick
08-03-2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not voting against Istook because he's a Republican, but just because he's not representing our state well, in my opinion. He'll still win though. Why he keeps winning, I do not know!