View Full Version : Boathouse Row

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

joseph
08-31-2010, 10:52 PM
The Head of the Oklahoma Regatta Festival/ OGE Night Sprints staged each October drew around 50,000 for the weekend the last two times it was in the Regatta Park area near downtown. Last year the event was scaled down due to construction and staged as the Boot of the Oklahoma near the Stockyards.

The event will be back to original form in the Boathouse District October 7-10 this year and will mark the opening of the Devon Boathouse at the blu Party.

http://oklahomariverevents.org/

BG918
09-01-2010, 07:16 AM
I went to the blu party a couple years ago. Good to know it's still going strong. I remember they had one of the hottest bartenders working that I've ever seen. :)

betts
09-19-2010, 06:21 AM
This is a really interesting article by Steve about economic opportunities along the river, but this is the sentence that caught my eye. It's hard to believe it's true, but it's very exciting to contemplate

"City officials recently revised their construction schedule for a canal extension and trails that will link Regatta Park to the Bricktown Canal and Bricktown. That job, earlier scheduled for 2018, is now set to begin next year."

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/economic-opportunities-bubble-up-along-the-oklahoma-river/article/3496367?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0zyekKSB P

SkyWestOKC
09-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Call me ignorant or dumb...but how are they going to extend the canal in the middle of the I-40 construction? Are they going to build under the freeway?

Steve
09-19-2010, 10:52 AM
The highway bridge crossing has been complete for the past couple of years. The canal section that goes through Regatta Park will be extended under that bridge and will end just short of the southern tip of the Bricktown Canal. Expect there to be some sort of series of steps and/or ramp, maybe a waterfall or water feature to create a visual tie-in between the two segments. They can not be physically connected due to a sharp grade difference...

SkyWestOKC
09-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Ah, didn't know there was a bridge there. Call me ignorant and dumb then!

So, the section of canal going under the bridge will NOT be connected to the Bricktown Canal? So this will be more like a green swimming pool under the bridge?

Steve
09-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Green, blue, muddy brown... not sure about the color. What's your pick?

SkyWestOKC
09-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Muddy brown.... This also wouldn't connect to the Chesapeake Boathouse inlet, either? So we'll have three separate bodies of water?

Steve
09-19-2010, 02:19 PM
skywest, the extension would be of what you're calling the Chesapeake Boathouse inlet. So, no, there will be no more bodies of water than what we see today.

SkyWestOKC
09-19-2010, 02:27 PM
Gotcha, much better than what I was envisioning when I first read this. Thanks for explaining it, I think I'm the only one who wasn't with the program here!

Larry OKC
09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Ah, didn't know there was a bridge there. Call me ignorant and dumb then!

So, the section of canal going under the bridge will NOT be connected to the Bricktown Canal? So this will be more like a green swimming pool under the bridge?

I am glad to see they have moved the plan up by about 8 years.

Steve is correct (there was a rendering in the Oklahoman a while back, maybe he can repost). But I consider an "extension" that doesn't physically connect (requiring yet another "transfer") a serious design flaw. If it doesn't connect (where you have to get off one water taxi and board another), what is the point? Seems like a waste of money. Mayor Norick pushed (and continues to do so) that the connectivity of the Canal with the Convention Center/Bricktown/River) was critical. If it doesn't connect...

Steve
09-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Larry, there is a pedestrian link to be considered here. To be blunt, it is pretty much impossible to physically link the water segments without a very expensive lock system.

ljbab728
09-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I agree, it's not a design flaw at all. It's just a realistic way of handling that area without making it extroardinarily expensive. I don't see the big deal of having to get off a water taxi there and boarding another one if that is what you want to do. Probably a lot of people would elect to just return to Bricktown but that extension option will be available for those who don't. It's also a good option for those taking the river boats from the Meridian area to get to Bricktown. They now have to take a bus after getting off the boats or it's a very long walk.

SkyWestOKC
09-19-2010, 10:55 PM
I wish the water taxis actually were water taxis instead of tour boats. Too bad they don't operate to take people from one place to another. Buy a one ride, day, night, week, month, year pass -- whatever. Get to ride to where you need to go. Instead of getting off where you stepped on. If you could take the river boats to the canal and then take the canal taxi to where you need to be, and in the future the streetcar to wherever else the streetcar goes. You might not even need a car during your stay if you stay, for example on Meridian and 15th. We talk about transit...we have potential for actual WATER transit, which will cost the city nothing. The infrastructure (river and canal) is already built and sustainable, the boats are already running. Why not?

It'd also tie in to the transit hub, if it were to be built at Santa Fe Station.

ljbab728
09-19-2010, 11:08 PM
I wish the water taxis actually were water taxis instead of tour boats. Too bad they don't operate to take people from one place to another. Buy a one ride, day, night, week, month, year pass -- whatever. Get to ride to where you need to go. Instead of getting off where you stepped on. If you could take the river boats to the canal and then take the canal taxi to where you need to be, and in the future the streetcar to wherever else the streetcar goes. You might not even need a car during your stay if you stay, for example on Meridian and 15th. We talk about transit...we have potential for actual WATER transit, which will cost the city nothing. The infrastructure (river and canal) is already built and sustainable, the boats are already running. Why not?

It'd also tie in to the transit hub, if it were to be built at Santa Fe Station.
I agree that some kind of connected ticket would be ideal. You can currently buy a one day unlimited use pass on the water taxis and eventually adding the river boats to that pass would be great. Even better at some point in the future would be to add the street cars to the pass. The river cruise does currently include trolley transportation but that can be iffy. Please note that the river cruises have another departure point now at Exchange Avenue in the Stockyard area.

stdennis
09-19-2010, 11:15 PM
Maybe two types of boats for the canal. Some that are like the current ones where its a tour and Some that are more like taxi/buses where you can get off at different stops. I would also love to see some type of transit pass. You can spend a certain amount for say a year and you can ride all buses, canal boat buses, river boats, future commuter trains, future street car, and maybe even discounts for other forms of transportation like the heartland flyer, maybe a taxi company, and other future forms of transit we can develop for the city.

EDIIT: Also maybe you can buy different "bundles" or mix and match where you pick the forms of transportation you want and maybe offering a discount for more transit types.

Platemaker
09-20-2010, 12:22 AM
I agree... what a great way for a (future) visitor arriving at WW to experience OKC... light rail from the airport to Union Station... streetcar along Central Park to Santa Fe... and the "Canal Line" to Boathouse Row.

OKC@heart
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
I agree with the sentiments posted above, what a wonderful way to show a commitment to trully multi-modal transportation and like was mentioned the infrastructure is there, why not make use of it and capitalize on the opportunity? Seems like it would be a boon to the hotel operators in the meridian area to be able to advertize interconnectivity via the river to Bricktown and downtown. Great forward thinking idea so long as it is marketed right and there is a sound business case with enough demand to make it viable.

CuatrodeMayo
09-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Larry, there is a pedestrian link to be considered here. To be blunt, it is pretty much impossible to physically link the water segments without a very expensive lock system.

Try getting to the river from Bricktown without a car...it should be a fun adventure...

Steve
09-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Even without a car, right now, it's a challenge. Lincoln is closed; won't be reopened until the fly-bridge over the highway is built and opened.

kevinpate
09-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Even without a car, right now, it's a challenge. Lincoln is closed; won't be reopened until the fly-bridge over the highway is built and opened.

Thanks for that! I thought Lincoln/Byars was open south of Reno.

Steve
09-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Not anymore...

Martin
09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
hmmm... must've just closed it as i drove that way saturday, 9/18. -M

Steve
09-20-2010, 02:23 PM
You drove Lincoln south of Reno to the river bridge on Saturday?

Watson410
09-20-2010, 06:23 PM
You must have came from the south side, You can only get to the area from 15th street now... that away people can still get to the Chesapeake Boathouse and construction areas. Like Steve said, the stretch from Reno to Boathouse Row is now longer open.

iMAX386
09-20-2010, 08:13 PM
With the OCU regatta happening in like 2 weeks, what's the status of the Devon Boathouse?

Anyone have any recent pictures?

joseph
09-20-2010, 08:41 PM
It is actually open again now. It was closed for a couple weeks to make may for utility infrastructure work in the Boathouse District. You can drive again to the river south on Lincoln - as this will be the main entrance for the big regatta October 7-10 and the new 6th street and parking areas should also be nearing completion. You can get the info from the Riversport online newsletter you can subscribe to at www.riversportokc.org.

Watson410
09-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Yeah, it was a couple weeks ago when I tried to go that way... So I was just going by that. I'm sure this has already be answer somewhere in this thread but i'm too lazy to go back and read every post, If someone could just answer it for me that would be great. Is the OU boathouse a 100% for sure deal? and if so, when are they suppose to break ground on it. Is there any other boathouses in the works for a ground breaking?

ljbab728
09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah, it was a couple weeks ago when I tried to go that way... So I was just going by that. I'm sure this has already be answer somewhere in this thread but i'm too lazy to go back and read every post, If someone could just answer it for me that would be great. Is the OU boathouse a 100% for sure deal? and if so, when are they suppose to break ground on it. Is there any other boathouses in the works for a ground breaking?

This is from the riversportokc website:

University of Oklahoma Boathouse – Construction drawings are being finalized on this university boathouse which will be home to OU Women’s Rowing.

University of Central Oklahoma Boathouse – Each boathouse has a unique personality, and the UCO boathouse will bring arts to the river with the addition of a Jazz Lab and art space. Drawings are being finalized.

Martin
09-21-2010, 09:03 AM
you drove lincoln south of reno to the river bridge on saturday?

sure did. went south on lincoln from reno, past the boathouses and then west on 15th. it looked like the barricades had been rearranged since i was last that way around a month ago, but it was open. -M

kevinpate
09-21-2010, 12:34 PM
sure did. went south on lincoln from reno, past the boathouses and then west on 15th. it looked like the barricades had been rearranged since i was last that way around a month ago, but it was open. -M

sweet. I tend to prefer this route to slip out of BT and enjoy a short stroll around the river spur.

okclee
09-21-2010, 01:07 PM
I went this route today, no barricades and the traffic was moving along.

The finish tower frame is up and really gives this area some height definition.

SoonerLakers
09-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Something like this would work. The Falkirk Wheel cost $22.5 million in 2002. Man, should have added it to MAPS3. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Falkirk_half_way_round.jpg

Platemaker
09-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Holy crap!!!! I want one I want one!!!!

kevinpate
09-21-2010, 04:12 PM
What platemaker said!

warreng88
09-21-2010, 04:32 PM
Something like this would work. The Falkirk Wheel cost $22.5 million in 2002. Man, should have added it to MAPS3. :)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fd/Falkirk_half_way_round.jpg

Ho-ly s@!t...

ljbab728
09-21-2010, 10:44 PM
That is a monstrosity which we don't need one on our river!!!!!!! It's overwhelming and ugly. It's basically an airborne lock.

bombermwc
09-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Well duh it's an lock...but it's a really freaking cool one! No reason they all have to be the typical thing...this one's an amusement park ride....how bout that for the log ride?

kevinpate
09-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Personally, I'd just as soon the river and BT canal not have a connection. However, if there were to be one, this might be an okie doke way to do it if other factors are not prohibitive.

Larry OKC
09-22-2010, 11:13 PM
kevinpate:

Why would you not want them to be connected?

kevinpate
09-23-2010, 06:14 AM
kevinpate:

Why would you not want them to be connected?

Purely selfish on my part. The lack of any physical connection precludes most nighttime BT'ers from visiting the plaza or the pathways at the river spur.
Thus it is still very peaceful over there. Sadly, many canal walkers, and riders, are loudish baffoons. I don't begrudge them their silliness along the canal, but I do enjoy quiet strolls as well.

ljbab728
09-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Purely selfish on my part. The lack of any physical connection precludes most nighttime BT'ers from visiting the plaza or the pathways at the river spur.
Thus it is still very peaceful over there. Sadly, many canal walkers, and riders, are loudish baffoons. I don't begrudge them their silliness along the canal, but I do enjoy quiet strolls as well.

I hear that the river is very quiet and peaceful over in Canadian County. When you're developing recreational areas in urban locations, unfortunately, there will always be those who abuse the area and it will be that way anywhere in the country. You can find idiots destroying the peacefulness in Yellowstone or Yosemite National Parks on secluded walkways.

bombermwc
09-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Well we know 100% that it won't ever be connected, we're just tossing around fun ideas. The canal is a closed system....they won't connect it to the river. That would be like connecting your pool to a creek...ew.

Larry OKC
09-25-2010, 12:12 AM
bombermwc:

But it was supposed to be connected (according to former Mayor Norrick). Plus, the canal extension should deposit into the River (not the other way around), its just that the Canal segments will not be connected to each other.

Steve: do you know if it was always the design for the Canal segments to be disjointed/unconnected, or is this a newer development? The "extension" of the Canal that was proposed right before MAPS 3 was unveiled, does that section physically connect to the existing canal? Isn't there a significant elevation change there too (the Canal begins at slightly below basement level).

ljbab728
09-25-2010, 12:18 AM
bombermwc:

But it was supposed to be connected (according to former Mayor Norrick). Plus, the canal extension should deposit into the River (not the other way around), its just that the Canal segments will not be connected to each other.

Steve: do you know if it was always the design for the Canal segments to be disjointed/unconnected, or is this a newer development? The "extension" of the Canal that was proposed right before MAPS 3 was unveiled, does that section physically connect to the existing canal? Isn't there a significant elevation change there too (the Canal begins at slightly below basement level).

Since there is no natural source for the water in the canal that would require a constant artificial replinishing of the water if it connected to the river. That would be expensive and very unpractical.

Larry OKC
09-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Doesn't the Canal currently drain into the River (in a ditch like manner)? The important connection is the Canal segments with each other, so someone doesn't have to get on/off several times (and if busy have to wait if the extension boat is full). Yes, it may be expensive to build a lock type system, but we were supposed to have gotten a Canal, going from the Convention Center, to Bricktown, to the River for $9M. Just the Bricktown segment we got cost $23M. The proposed extension from the Convention Center to Bricktown was another estimated $25M and the extension to the River is $3M (2007 Bond Issue). So something that was pitched to the voters as costing $9M is actually going to cost $50M+ when/if ever completed?

OKCisOK4me
09-25-2010, 08:36 AM
No, the canal does not drain into the river. They pump out the water every year, clean the canal and then fill it back up. There is a boat ramp at the southern section of the canal for them to get the riverboats out. Maybe you're thinking of that.

Larry OKC
09-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Not sure OKCisOK4me...what you said is true (about the yearly draining/cleaning, so maybe it is an overflow or something. Definitely recall an article where some council people were upset about the southern end of the canal wasn't finished like the northern end, was more natural, rock lined etc (the ditch like manner I mentioned). Maybe they went and finished it all the same way later?

kevinpate
09-25-2010, 02:28 PM
The south end of the canal has a nice turnaround point for the boats, and a nice sitting area and wall for the walkers. That end has been made nicer since 2003 or so and is far better lit than in days now long gone. Off to the west side of the turnaround is a launch area to insert/remove the tour boats. There is also a small concrete spillway to permit the canal level to be maintained.

It doesn't have the art work or pool area like the northern end has, and it is less peaceful now that parking encroahes so close to the canal and the new Crosstown is going in so close to the south, but it's not shabby.

CuatrodeMayo
09-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Functionally, the canal is basically a swimming pool.

kevinpate
09-25-2010, 02:46 PM
nah, you can't go noodlin' in most swimming pools.

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2010, 07:18 PM
The photos that I took of the Chesapeake Finish Tower and the Devon Boathouse on September 23 are in this post: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23181&p=363454#post363454 . I also confirm that the bridge is open ... lanes are pared down but two way traffic is entirely possible. One of the photos was taken from the bridge, the others being taken from the walking/jogging/biking trails on the south side of the river. It was a challenge to get to that spot by auto but it can be done.

metro
09-25-2010, 09:48 PM
This thread is a prime example of how rumors start and spread. Not sure where Larrys sources are.

Steve
09-25-2010, 09:55 PM
Not sure OKCisOK4me...what you said is true (about the yearly draining/cleaning, so maybe it is an overflow or something. Definitely recall an article where some council people were upset about the southern end of the canal wasn't finished like the northern end, was more natural, rock lined etc (the ditch like manner I mentioned). Maybe they went and finished it all the same way later?

Larry, what you're recalling is when former Councilwoman Francis Lowrey complained about early designs for the section of the canal that goes through Regatta Park and connects directly with the river. She was upset over the level of finish that planned at that time. The designs were upgraded quite a bit after that, and I don't recall any further complaints after. As for cleaning - yes, that happens with both the section that flows through through Bricktown and the river itself (including the canal segment you mention). I hope this answers your question. Not sure about rumors getting started here ... just a question about history.

Here's a story from Oklahoman archives about the Lowrey complaints:

Canal's South End to Be "Ditch," Council Member Fumes
By Charolette Aiken
Staff Writer
Wednesday, October 9, 1996
Edition: City, Section: News, Page 01
Councilwoman Frances Lowrey's name was misspelled in this article. (Per Henry Dolive, 1/24/00)

While millions of dollars are being spent for a Bricktown waterway, south Oklahoma City residents will be left with "nothing but a dirt ditch," an irate city councilwoman declared Tuesday.

When voters in 1993 approved a five-year, 1-cent sales tax to pay for the $297 million Metropolitan Area Projects, the $16 million canal was touted as a way to unite residents on the north and south sides of Oklahoma City.

The latest canal designs threatened to pit council members against one another in a familiar "north vs. south" tug of war, because under the current plan the north end will be more elaborate than the southern section.

"It's going to be a ditch. Period," Ward 4 Councilwoman Frances Lowery snapped when the plans were unveiled at Tuesday's Oklahoma City Council meeting.

The canal will span about 4,300 feet from Bricktown to the bank of the North Canadian River.

Dennis Clowers of Clowers Engineering said the south leg of the canal will begin at the Santa Fe Railroad tracks and Reno Avenue south of Bricktown.

The south portion of the canal will flow from a turning basin about 400 feet south of Reno Avenue.

"It proceeds to the east and curves back under Interstate 40," Clowers said. "(It) meanders on down to the railroad tracks and then goes through a series of curves on down to the river."

The channel closest to the tracks will sport a concrete bottom with banks made of native stone. Stone will be stacked in varying heights to make it attractive, and the water will be 4 feet deep, Clowers said.

Then there will be a 9-foot drop where the last leg of the canal begins to flow.

"The north canal out of Bricktown goes into an open, pastoral setting. When it goes across the railroad tracks, it changes from a concrete bottom with stone banks into a natural river channel with grass slopes and some boulder treatment," Clowers said.

That irked Lowery.

"The people in south Oklahoma City, who I represent, are absolutely livid over this," she said.

Architects misled voters, Lowery said.

"It's going to be a different canal from the railroad track on down to the river. It's not going to be lined with rock. It's going to be more or less a dirt ditch with grass growing on the side."

Southside voters want the lower half of the canal to be as attractive and as accessible as the north section, Lowery said. "When the people voted on this, we were out there telling them that we would be able to go by boat up the river and up the canal to the Myriad. Now, ... it's coming over and dead-ending," she said.

Mayor Ron Norick disagreed.

"I don't think it's going to be a ditch, Frances," Norick said. "A ditch has no vegetation and no landscaping. I would imagine that the idea is to make it flow with the river. We don't want to end up with a muddy lake. "

That did little to mollify Lowery.

She blamed Frankfurt-Short-Bruza, an architectural firm hired for $10 million to design initial plans for the $297 million MAPS plan.

"It's probably a money matter, and this concerns me a great deal because there was an awful lot of the canal budget transferred to do the two blocks on California Street through Bricktown. Frankfurt-Short-Bruza misled us all along ," Lowery said.

Lowery was backed, in part, by Ward 3 Councilman Jack Cornett, Ward 1 Councilman Frosty Peak and Ward 5 Councilman Jerry Foshee.

Each expressed concern over the designs.

Cornett said the Oklahoma City Riverfront Redevelopment Authority was not given enough time to analyze the plans. Foshee complained that no marina or boat maintenance facility was included in the drawings, while Peak fears there will be too little commercial development on the south canal route.

The matter was deferred for one week.

Larry OKC
09-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Steve: Thanks for the article, that is the incident I recalled.

Thanks for confirming part of what I recalled (the connectivity of the Canal, from the Convention Center thru Bricktown to the River)...

Lowery said. "When the people voted on this, we were out there telling them that we would be able to go by boat up the river and up the canal to the Myriad. Now, ... it's coming over and dead-ending,"

Metro: Rumors? Sources for what? Happy to supply anything that I can that is in doubt.

RockChalk
09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Here are some facts I know from working in Bricktown:
*The canal water level is 17 feet higher than the river on average. This would make it impractical to actually connect the water to the river. That being said, there is a plan, which hopefully will be executed, where an arm of the river is extended, past where the Devon boats dock, going under the new highway, and terminating right next to the south end of the Bricktown Canal. When this is completed, Watertaxi passengers can get off the canal boats at the South end and go right down a ramp to the river level and a sidewalk next to the water, which will provide close access to Regatta Park.

Larry OKC
09-27-2010, 08:47 PM
RockChalk:

This all gets a bit confusing..are you talking about the $3M "extension" of the Canal (that won't actually connect to the Canal due to elevation changes) that was paid for in the 2007 Bond Issue? Steve also mentioned in an article (obviously dated since the Devon TIF money is being used for Project 180) about a $1M extension that was approved but I am having trouble placing it. Sounds like it is different from the $3M extension

http://newsok.com/tax-increment-funds-could-turn-bricktown-canal-extension-plan-into-a-reality/article/3291738
Tax increment funds could turn Bricktown Canal extension plan into a reality (Oklahoman, 9/2/08)

...let's just look at the latest expenditure approvals, which include $1.05 million for a small extension of the Bricktown Canal south to Reno Avenue.
The project will create a major new entryway for the canal for people walking to and from Ford Center.

Has this $1M extension been built? Sounds like it was already approved/funded or did it get scrapped when the Devon TIF was redirected into Project 180?

If one of the mapping gurus could plot it and post...

Steve
09-27-2010, 09:44 PM
OK, gang, we're talking about two different extensions here.
1. Rockchalk has it exactly right. The 2007 bond issue pays for the canal segment that goes through Regatta Park to be extended up under the new I-40 and will terminate just south of what we refer to as the Bricktown Canal.
2. TIF funding remains in place for a potential short extension between the northern most terminus of the canal up to Reno. This was tied to the Harding & Shelton development, which has been scaled back but is still proceeding. City officials are weighing whether to continue with this extension. Don't count on it happening anytime soon - but it's still a possibility.
Capiche?

bombermwc
09-28-2010, 06:57 AM
There's also some misunderstanding of the intent of the origional design. Every concept that was, did NOT connect the canal to the river. As long as they've walked about it, they planned on them NOT meeting. The elevation change is the #1 reason for that. Not to mention that the canal boats are not capable of running on the river and the riverboats can't fit in the canal. You would have to drop the entire canal a whole other entire floor lower (17") in order for it to meet up on the same elevation. The cost for that, or to maintain a lock system, were never seriously considered. There may have been some councilfolk that were not heavily involved in the plans that misunderstood, but that doesn't mean they really "knew" what was being planned. There's a HUGE GINORMOUS difference between a close water system like the canal and a river. This isn't San Antonio folks, we don't have an actual river here. As cool as that would have been, it just isn't what we had.

The extension is merely for bringing the two systems closer so that when you disembark from boat #1, you can walk a shorter distance to boat #2. But uh, let's be realistic....how many of us have even taken a river cruise yet? How many tourists even know it's there when they stay on Meridian (and it's of no use to anyone but a Meridian tourist right now...maybe in 30 years when there is more development like the Norick plan, but not now)? So does it even matter? Not really.

okclee
09-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Wouldn't it be less expensive to replace the water taxi's with Duck Tour Boats? There would be no need to connect the canal to the river and it would be lots of fun for families.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Duck_Tour_boat_beaching.JPG/800px-Duck_Tour_boat_beaching.JPG