View Full Version : Boathouse Row

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23

mkjeeves
08-02-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to unravel who is who in this chain of management before the story broke, precipitated by two events.

The old baithouse area at Overholser has seen some improvements and what looks like a stalled project. They added a zip-line. I think it's operational but I'm not sure. And they appear to have intended to enlarge the bait house structure and then stopped. There is a foundation slab poured, an air conditioning unit moved so that could be done. That happened months ago and then nothing. The last I looked it was the same, landscaping not finished around it and some construction fence but no progress.

Second, I had a conversation with someone who I thought knew what they were talking about and said that the Boathouse Foundation AKA Riversports, was taking over Hobie Point, and the area to the east of there commonly known as Paddlers Point. The roads leading in to both areas are gravel. The area commonly used for parking at Paddlers Point is a big mud hole. The person told me that was going to be paved, other improvements made, new programs, including a sailing program managed by this group would be started. Several months ago, this road had a barricade, which we talked about, thinking these improvements were in the works.

Now the road is open. I don't see any improvements or changes, other than about a 30 foot section of steel cable and posts have been removed in a long section around the road. There are a number of neglected orange barrels in and around the area, not there last year.

I've not seen anything in the news about either of these projects. Were all those improvements, (if there were any at Hefner) to be financed 100% by the authority, the foundation, partnership between the two and mothballed when the authority ran into finance issues? Or is the Overholser issue an unforeseen construction issue and nothing is going on or planned at Hefner? Which of these groups seems to have management issues? (Starting projects they can't finish, if that's the case.)

mkjeeves
08-02-2015, 08:31 AM
I just drove by Overholser and it looks like someone has spent a day or two putting up metal studs recently. Some progress, finally.

http://s10.postimg.org/buqu9xhqx/IMG_0753.jpg

mkjeeves
08-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Further investigation, the Boathouse Foundation did, does, or was trying to have a finger in Lake Hefner. Edit to add: There's a joint resolution approved by the council and signed by the mayor in February giving the foundation the authority they are seeking in this letter.

http://s23.postimg.org/g4gqqhad7/Boat_FHefner.png

https://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/2vi5k1a3mspdjx45gyoiijj3/265740508022015101707540.PDF

Snowman
08-02-2015, 08:16 PM
The old baithouse area at Overholser has seen some improvements and what looks like a stalled project. They added a zip-line. I think it's operational but I'm not sure. And they appear to have intended to enlarge the bait house structure and then stopped. There is a foundation slab poured, an air conditioning unit moved so that could be done. That happened months ago and then nothing. The last I looked it was the same, landscaping not finished around it and some construction fence but no progress.

I just drove by Overholser and it looks like someone has spent a day or two putting up metal studs recently. Some progress, finally.

http://s10.postimg.org/buqu9xhqx/IMG_0753.jpg

OKCBF seems never to have been great about sticking to construction timeline estimates, though generally they do not start constructing a project till it is fully funded, I would guess their only firm deadline on the building needing to be completed for was the start of school's fall classes. Though available to pass holders and day/hourly rentals, it has mainly been used by the youth program.

All their prior renovations at Overholser have been fairly small and incremental. They have already renovated the inside of the building in the last ten years. They also did a renovation of the 70s era boathouse across the bridge from it.

Second, I had a conversation with someone who I thought knew what they were talking about and said that the Boathouse Foundation AKA Riversports, was taking over Hobie Point, and the area to the east of there commonly known as Paddlers Point. The roads leading in to both areas are gravel. The area commonly used for parking at Paddlers Point is a big mud hole. The person told me that was going to be paved, other improvements made, new programs, including a sailing program managed by this group would be started. Several months ago, this road had a barricade, which we talked about, thinking these improvements were in the works.

Now the road is open. I don't see any improvements or changes, other than about a 30 foot section of steel cable and posts have been removed in a long section around the road. There are a number of neglected orange barrels in and around the area, not there last year.

I've not seen anything in the news about either of these projects. Were all those improvements, (if there were any at Hefner) to be financed 100% by the authority, the foundation, partnership between the two and mothballed when the authority ran into finance issues? Or is the Overholser issue an unforeseen construction issue and nothing is going on or planned at Hefner? Which of these groups seems to have management issues? (Starting projects they can't finish, if that's the case.)

I had not payed much attention about what they were doing at Hefner, they said they were going to start doing some things at Hefner but it sounded more like occasional activities than any permanent buildings at this point. It would not surprise me if they had aspirations to build facilities out there eventually, they started out downtown with a large tent to cover the boats and hope to collect enough money to build a modest boathouse (technically they were a different organization at that point though), around ten years later they had hope to build three or four college boathouses east of the Chesapeake Boathouse. If they are going to do any buildings of much size, I would probably expect at minimum three or more years between planning/funding/permits/construction; if they were anywhere near the permitting phase for buildings the plans would surely have been talked about on this site by now.

If they are building it I would expect it would be done they way they have done most of their projects: OKCBF working to gather funding from private donations and possibly other funds by organizations that will be using it, the land/building will be donated to the city, the city leases land/building to the foundation to operate the property for it, the foundation then handles maintenance on the property/equipment/insurance. Obviously another direction was went with the whitewater center, where they city is building the facilities and purchasing the land, but still seems intent that it at least take care of it's own ongoing operation costs. From the letter it sounds like in this case they may be starting out with land the city or YMCA already owns.

mkjeeves
08-03-2015, 08:46 AM
At the face, I don't have problems with the way things are set up for the city to hand over management of public owned and sometimes built property to the non-profit. Especially when the non-profit is able to source some funding better than the city. The foundation seems to be doing a pretty good job in general and I know funds are limited for improvement on the lakes, which comes through the water utilities trust, rather than the river authority.

(The proposed oil well at Hefner would have provided some funding for recreation improvements at the lake. Coincidentally or not, the public meetings on the well were happening at the same time the plans were being laid for the foundation to think about improvements at Hefner. The well would have been right next to Hobie Point and Paddlers Point and the operator included in their plans paving the entry road into the area. I'm sure ending the well didn't end the plans for lake improvements though.)

I do wonder about the lack of transparency in that model. Particularly handing over public assets to be managed outside public purchasing laws and methods that would be required if the property were managed directly by the city, including open records. Maybe some of that is good and maybe some isn't. An example might be circumventing public bidding requirements for construction improvements or purchasing. Lets say the whitewater facility needs 100 rafts, for instance. The city would have to bid that if they purchased it. Who knows how the foundation would treat it. If the foundation purchased with gifts is doesn't matter. Does it matter if purchased from operating funds of a MAPs project like the whitewater facility? (That's' rhetorical, rather than seeking a legal answer.) I've looked for information on the origins of the foundation, current structure and so on. It's not been easy to find, beyond their website info. http://boathousedistrict.org/okc-boathouse-foundation/

Snowman
08-03-2015, 10:54 PM
At the face, I don't have problems with the way things are set up for the city to hand over management of public owned and sometimes built property to the non-profit. Especially when the non-profit is able to source some funding better than the city. The foundation seems to be doing a pretty good job in general and I know funds are limited for improvement on the lakes, which comes through the water utilities trust, rather than the river authority.

(The proposed oil well at Hefner would have provided some funding for recreation improvements at the lake. Coincidentally or not, the public meetings on the well were happening at the same time the plans were being laid for the foundation to think about improvements at Hefner. The well would have been right next to Hobie Point and Paddlers Point and the operator included in their plans paving the entry road into the area. I'm sure ending the well didn't end the plans for lake improvements though.)

I do wonder about the lack of transparency in that model. Particularly handing over public assets to be managed outside public purchasing laws and methods that would be required if the property were managed directly by the city, including open records. Maybe some of that is good and maybe some isn't. An example might be circumventing public bidding requirements for construction improvements or purchasing. Lets say the whitewater facility needs 100 rafts, for instance. The city would have to bid that if they purchased it. Who knows how the foundation would treat it. If the foundation purchased with gifts is doesn't matter. Does it matter if purchased from operating funds of a MAPs project like the whitewater facility? (That's' rhetorical, rather than seeking a legal answer.) I've looked for information on the origins of the foundation, current structure and so on. It's not been easy to find, beyond their website info. OKCBF - Boathouse District (http://boathousedistrict.org/okc-boathouse-foundation/)

The current organization was set up as a way to facilitate the donation of funds for the Chesapeake Boathouse, the assets and land of the prior club at Overholser were then transferred to the new organization. I was away at college at the time so not here for details but I have heard the prior organization was not set up in a way they could fill their current role, the new structure sounded like it had some suggestions by Chesapeake/City/OkcChamber and even the size of either the largest two donations for the project was enough relative to their annual budget it could have made them ineligible for non profit status if then entire donation went to them verses the city (similar situations on the donation sizes relative to annual budget for Devon Boathouse and the Chesapeake Finishline Tower). The city was on board with the idea of it being built downtown and they were certainly not going to lose their status as a city if they accepted a few million dollars mostly from a couple organizations to build a park with a boathouse on it.

It had not been mentioned so far if it was planed to use MAPS3 funds on things like rafts, normally things like rowing shells or kayaks come from fees/donations to the foundation (I do not think they get transferred to city ownership at any point), but any time MAPS3 dollars have been spend it has gone trough an open bidding process. Sometimes it looks a little funny when a list of things purchased that is a sum total of a couple hundred dollars and itemized to down to things costing a couple dollars jammed between two multi million dollar [ purchase requisitions / status updates ]. I want to say even outside of MAPS3 funds they still use the city's bid/transparency rules on assets that will be city property or maintenance/insurance of city property regardless of funding source but I am not sure if there is a minimum threshold bellow which it is not bothered with; though records for that are published by the city not the foundation.

Pretty much the main reason I started following the OKC RRA meetings was they were a more consistent source of information than the OKCBF. With OKCBF they tend to maybe put out one announcement early on about the grand vision of a project and maybe give some info at large events. The OKC RRA posts material, minutes and often video of their monthly committee meetings (the exception on videos is sometimes they meed at stakeholder locations verses City Hall, granted with cell phones it is getting to the point they have little excuse not to post at least an attempt of audio or video recording at remote locations, even if it is below the normal quality at City Hall).

mkjeeves
08-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Now that they are moving to management of the whitewater park, the Hobie Point area with sailing programs at Hefner and agreed with the city to identify other areas at Hefner that might present opportunities, I'm sure I'm not the only one who can envision the Foundation growing in the future into THE boating and water sports facilities and programs management organization for OKC at all city owned locations. If they raise the bar at Overholser, Hefner, Draper and where ever else, improve recreation facilities and options, that might be a good thing. However, It makes me even that much more concerned about the issues I expressed above.

Dustin
08-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Flyover of the River Rapids course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7P01SN2RHU&feature=youtu.be

bradh
09-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Was watching a little sports this past weekend, just like every other weekend, and saw an ad for an AVP tour stop in Cincinnati. I think once the Boathouse District really fills out that is an event the city should strive to bring in, I think it'd be a great one.

Pete
09-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Was watching a little sports this past weekend, just like every other weekend, and saw an ad for an AVP tour stop in Cincinnati. I think once the Boathouse District really fills out that is an event the city should strive to bring in, I think it'd be a great one.

It's really not that hard to do in a parking lot; just truck in some sand which is cheap.

Somewhere in Bricktown would work.

shawnw
09-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Um, you guys know there's now an olympic class sand volleyball court in the boathouse district, right?

I know it's not enough for tournaments, but just sayin... this is a somewhat recent development. It's open to the public provided it's not already reserved for something.

bradh
09-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Um, you guys know there's now an olympic class sand volleyball court in the boathouse district, right?

I know it's not enough for tournaments, but just sayin... this is a somewhat recent development. It's open to the public provided it's not already reserved for something.

I know, I've seen it, that's why I thought it'd be great.

Pete...I know it's easy, just seems like this would be a good spot for it.

AP
09-11-2015, 06:35 AM
Where is that new volleyball court? I played competitive vball for a while in high school and would love to get back out there and play with some friends.

shawnw
09-11-2015, 07:14 AM
It's right next to the Devon boathouse, to the north of it.

For a tournament, there's probably room to put some bleachers around the court. But I'm not sure that possibly was considered when they placed the court. However all of the other infrastructure is there (utilities, restrooms, locker rooms for athletes, etc). Would be fun to at least try having a local tournament there to see if it would work (kind of like the basketball tournaments at the cage).

shawnw
09-11-2015, 07:18 AM

Not to scale, obvs, but that's where it is.

joseph
09-30-2015, 11:09 PM
The new SandRidge Youth Pavilion is lit in time for the Oklahoma Regatta Festival and Quixotic aerial show in the Sky Trail (Friday night).

Snowman
10-15-2015, 03:45 AM
They did another flyover update on construction progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyVKksQVas0

Pete
10-15-2015, 08:07 AM
Wow, so cool.

And that place is absolutely huge.

Pete
10-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Wow, so cool.

And that place is absolutely huge.

AP
10-15-2015, 08:11 AM
I've said this before, but without the context of people standing next to this or in it you really don't understand how huge this thing is. It surprises me every time.

dankrutka
10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Updates on things I hadn't seen.

Eddie1
10-26-2015, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the pics, looking very nice. I like the sculpture in the last pic.

kevin lee
10-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Super nice! Some shade trees around the buildings and walking paths would take this place to another level.

jccouger
10-27-2015, 08:35 AM
Super nice! Some shade trees around the buildings and walking paths would take this place to another level.

I think the main reason there is a lack of trees & landscaping is because this area is so rapidly evolving. I'm sure there is a "master plan" but even so there is still so much to be done to make this are feel complete that I don't think they want to get too ahead of themselves and incur unnecessary costs if they will just have to rip out trees later on.

The boathouse district is super impressive, but it is very much so under continuous construction & development & will be for probably 1 or 2 more decades.

onthestrip
10-27-2015, 09:39 AM
But trees would block the views of all the triangles Rand has designed...

Im sorry but the boathouse row, while it may provide a short-lived coolness, it gives off a sterile, bland, homogeneous feel. Ive been critical before and I still am. How many white triangle, "bow inspired" buildings can we build out there? Even the sidewalks have to be at angles and not in place where people actually walk. Trees would certainly help making it look a little more natural and green. A differently designed structure would too.

shawnw
10-27-2015, 09:47 AM
Even the sidewalks have to be at angles and not in place where people actually walk.

Funny that you point this out because it's my one gripe about the area and something I've pointed out to my daughters who have worked there. Have you noticed the slate paths that are there now in some places that ARE where people walk? I guess they got tired of people walking on the grass. Or people got tired of walking in mud from all the walking through the grass. I like Rand and his work but I hope this something he can look, after the fact, at and learn from.

Pete
10-27-2015, 10:13 AM
^

When there are worn areas in the ground they are called "outlaw paths" and they are physical signs of where people want to walk. Property owners and designers should pick up on that and make necessary adjustments.

catch22
10-27-2015, 10:20 AM
^

When there are worn areas in the ground they are called "outlaw paths" and they are physical signs of where people want to walk. Property owners and designers should pick up on that and make necessary adjustments.

You're right. Other terms I've heard are "desire lines/paths" and "goat trails".

KayneMo
10-27-2015, 10:37 AM
^ When I was still in architecture school at OU a few years ago, one of my professors pointed out that the area directly east of Evans and Bizzell, and directly west of Buchanan and Adams didn't initially have paved sidewalks but instead was first laid out by the dirt paths created by pedestrians, then the dirt paths were later paved over.

dankrutka
01-18-2016, 01:36 PM
Not a clear picture, but you can see some significant progress from this angle...

Boomer3791
01-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Does anyone know how rafters and kayakers will get from the lower pool to the upper pool? Is there some kind of conveyor belt or do they get out of their rafts and kayaks and walk? Also, the courses don't seem very long to me. I've rafted before on actual rivers and those sections look like they could be negotiated pretty quickly, depending on the speed of the current. I certainly hope that a single ticket will allow for multiple runs.

bradh
01-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Does anyone know how rafters and kayakers will get from the lower pool to the upper pool? Is there some kind of conveyor belt or do they get out of their rafts and kayaks and walk? Also, the courses don't seem very long to me. I've rafted before on actual rivers and those sections look like they could be negotiated pretty quickly, depending on the speed of the current. I certainly hope that a single ticket will allow for multiple runs.

yes there is a conveyor

ljbab728
01-18-2016, 09:27 PM

I suspect that there will be a number of different pass options to accommodate various kind of users of the facility.

Urbanized
01-19-2016, 08:12 AM
The course is longer than it looks; in fact the whole thing fools the eye both in plans and photographs. You honestly have to see it in person to grasp the scale. Remember that the advanced side is a full-scale Olympic qualifying course.

bombermwc
01-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Any word on OU getting off their butt to get their boathouse done? Or maybe convincing them to let it go so someone else can build it?

dankrutka
01-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Any word on OU getting off their butt to get their boathouse done? Or maybe convincing them to let it go so someone else can build it?

OU supposedly had all the money raised for it years ago. At least that's what was reported. Not sure what happened, but if they don't have the money already I could see a delay until the economy improves...

dankrutka
03-21-2016, 01:54 PM
Slides... from Friday.

_Cramer_
03-21-2016, 03:46 PM
OU supposedly had all the money raised for it years ago. At least that's what was reported. Not sure what happened, but if they don't have the money already I could see a delay until the economy improves...

I know they built their own facility on campus. Much closer? No clue why or if they won't build on the river. Hosted Big 12 Championships here last year.
Video of facility tour: SoonerSports.tv (http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?SPSID=750321&SPID=127244&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000&ID=3994306)

Plutonic Panda
04-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Boathouse District park promises to make Oklahoma City a destination for river sports | News OK (http://newsok.com/boathouse-district-park-promises-to-make-oklahoma-city-a-destination-for-river-sports/article/5494874)

OkiePoke
04-29-2016, 01:48 PM
I ran into one of the OU coaches the other day. She indicated to me that the boat house (shack) they have is probably going to be in use for a while. It is on a different section of the river (different damn?). It seemed as this is preferred to building a new boathouse on the busy portion of the river.

dankrutka
04-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Reading the articles and watching the videos on the rapids over the last few days has got me pretty pumped. I am assuming there's not, but the rapids aren't actually open to the public riding on the 7th, are they? I'll be in town for game 3, but I'm leaving that next day. I'd love to take a ride. But I assumed they're having events and such strictly that weekend.

checkthat
04-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Reading the articles and watching the videos on the rapids over the last few days has got me pretty pumped. I am assuming there's not, but the rapids aren't actually open to the public riding on the 7th, are they? I'll be in town for game 3, but I'm leaving that next day. I'd love to take a ride. But I assumed they're having events and such strictly that weekend.

You may be able to ride the course. I got an email blast from Riversports that had a link to this page:

One week. The ribbon has been cut and we’re gearing up for the Grand Opening of RIVERSPORT Rapids, Oklahoma City’s new $45 million whitewater rafting and kayaking center, on May 7-8! Be one of the first to raft down the channels. Be one of the first to join the Whitewater Rafting League. Be one of the first parents to host a RIVERSPORT Rapids Adventure Birthday. Be one of the first to enjoy a meal at Big Water Grill.

Join the excitement on May 7-8 and be one of the first to experience everything RIVERSPORT Rapids has to offer, right in the heart of Oklahoma City.

One Week ? Riversport Adventures (http://www.riversportokc.org/one-week/)

dankrutka
05-05-2016, 10:47 AM
https://twitter.com/kevinmotto/status/728058902181371904

OKCisOK4me
05-05-2016, 12:41 PM
^^^I noticed that the other day. It made me wish there was a way for Shields to access SW 15th Street cause that would be a lot easier getting to Boathouse Row than having to go through Bricktown but then I remembered that the Boulevard will be in place with that key intersection at Lincoln.

dankrutka
05-25-2016, 10:00 PM
Ran along the river today... At least until the sidewalk ended. Hopefully there's a plan to connect it.

The whitewater center was filled with people, including a huge group of kids. It's a great asset for the people, and animals, of OKC.

Lastly, is this planned to be a parking lot? If love to see some kind of mixed use residential or hotel built here to provide more regular life (and "eyes") to the area or the area behind it.

kevin lee
05-26-2016, 04:00 AM
During the TNT broadcast they showed Shaq and Sir Charles at top golf. It would be a real boost nationally if they could make it down to the rapids or slides if there's a game 6.

OKCisOK4me
05-26-2016, 03:53 PM
For some reason, I think I remember seeing that lot with some kind of either a hotel or actual residences for the athletes or a parking garage. I can't remember for sure though.

shawnw
05-26-2016, 04:41 PM
A hotel is in the master plan that's been around awhile.

bige4ou
05-29-2016, 12:16 PM
My wife and I went down by the rapids course for the first time yesterday and have to say we were very impressed with everything down there. Our one complaint with the whole area is that the landscaping along the whole boathouse row needs some work. It was very very bare. Maybe some trees to start with? Just seemed extremely bare, and on a hot Saturday it would have new nice to have a place to be in the shade.

Another thing we thought would be cool is like a board walk along part of the river? Pete is there any plans of this or to grow maybe retail/housing/hotels?

I love this area of OKC and I'm really excited to see what all else happens here!

dankrutka
05-29-2016, 03:45 PM
Rand Elliot opposes trees interfering with his minimalist designs. I think he's helped to create a unique architectural environment, but I think trees would enhance it.

The lack of a sidewalk near the main street that runs past the boathouses is also a mistake, IMHO. There's really no sidewalk near the boathouses that connect all the way to RiverSport Rapids so pedestrians end up walking in the grass or the street. Easy fix though... It really is a great area.

Snowman
05-29-2016, 04:11 PM
Rand Elliot opposes trees interfering with his minimalist designs. I think he's helped to create a unique architectural environment, but I think trees would enhance it.

The lack of a sidewalk near the main street that runs past the boathouses is also a mistake, IMHO. There's really no sidewalk near the boathouses that connect all the way to RiverSport Rapids so pedestrians end up walking in the grass or the street. Easy fix though... It really is a great area.

There has been plans for a pedestrian/bike trail near the road in one form or another for at least a decade but clearly has not been at the top of the priority list

KingOfTheNorth
05-30-2016, 06:16 PM

A couple things to respond to for this, first being the trees and landscaping. While I do agree that some landscaping could be useful, I don't believe it should be done with trees. While I understand the value and desire this, it is important to remember that this is Oklahoma, in the Great Plains. Trees really aren't meant to be here, and if you want to continue towards something unique and embracing Oklahoma, keeping this "plains-like" appearance can have its benefits. It also offers significant views of downtown and sunsets whenever the weather is great (I've seen some of my best sunsets while out on that river). I think some good use of scrubs or Oklahoma-native bushes can work very well, which that have some of, but it's pretty limited.

I've seen a lot of people commenting on the lack of sidewalks, but that also occurs for a reason. First is that the sidewalks are designed to match the designs of the boathouses with their sharp corners and turns. Second, this layout allows for vendors, food trucks, and other assorted stands to pop up and place easily around. Seeing this unfold during a regatta or boathouse event allows it to be seen much easier also. It's odd, but it has its purposes. Hopefully they'll work on infrastructure down the road also, but comparing it to the forested abandoned homes that was once there, it's come a long way and will continue to improve.

dankrutka
05-30-2016, 08:31 PM
A couple things to respond to for this, first being the trees and landscaping. While I do agree that some landscaping could be useful, I don't believe it should be done with trees. While I understand the value and desire this, it is important to remember that this is Oklahoma, in the Great Plains. Trees really aren't meant to be here, and if you want to continue towards something unique and embracing Oklahoma, keeping this "plains-like" appearance can have its benefits. It also offers significant views of downtown and sunsets whenever the weather is great (I've seen some of my best sunsets while out on that river). I think some good use of scrubs or Oklahoma-native bushes can work very well, which that have some of, but it's pretty limited.

Honest question, do you think Oklahomans shouldn't plant trees in general or just this development? I know a big part of the history of OU was David Ross Boyd planting trees all around the Norman campus. Is that a different scenario in your opinion? I also think there are different types of trees that might work, but your suggestion of shrubs or bushes might work better too...

KayneMo
05-31-2016, 08:59 AM

I've seen a lot of people commenting on the lack of sidewalks, but that also occurs for a reason. First is that the sidewalks are designed to match the designs of the boathouses with their sharp corners and turns. Second, this layout allows for vendors, food trucks, and other assorted stands to pop up and place easily around. Seeing this unfold during a regatta or boathouse event allows it to be seen much easier also. It's odd, but it has its purposes. Hopefully they'll work on infrastructure down the road also, but comparing it to the forested abandoned homes that was once there, it's come a long way and will continue to improve.

Not completely true, only western Oklahoma is part of the Great Plains. Much of OKC lies in the Cross Timbers, which is a forest-grassland transition; so naturally, trees do belong here.

onthestrip
05-31-2016, 11:37 AM

This makes no sense. No trees because plains? SIdewalks that go in weird directions and ignore natural foot traffic? So architects should only care about form and ignore function? That doesnt make for good design. And thats a common issue with Elliot designed things.

Zuplar
05-31-2016, 11:50 AM
Not completely true, only western Oklahoma is part of the Great Plains. Much of OKC lies in the Cross Timbers, which is a forest-grassland transition; so naturally, trees do belong here.

I was about to comment on this as well. Also the Southeastern part of this state is know for having a few trees as well as a timber industry.

KingOfTheNorth
06-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Much of OKC does not lie within the Cross Timbers. Only the far northeastern parts of the OKC metro are actually inside it (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Timbers#29c:_Western_Cross_Timbers). I'm not going to get into the fact that Oklahoma has very diverse geography but the first image that will come to mind at the state's name is prairie land, which you'll find more shrubs and bushes for that kind of geography.

I do think that Oklahomans should plant trees, but they should also do their research on what kinds to plant as I have known many to try growing them only for them to die due to Oklahoma's climate. I personally feel this development should be more limited in trees. This is coming from my experience of spending more hours than I care to admit down there and having a great view of downtown while on the river, or being able to see races or competition while on land or from the boathouses is best done without the visual disturbance of trees. I also feel that if you try and make this area pretty wooded it will look out of place due to what it is surrounded by. This area of land specifically has a highway to the northwest, north, northeast, and east of it, and railroad operations directly to the south. If you try and give it much of a canopy, it will seem pretty out of place compared to its surroundings of concrete mass, not to mention I would like to wait until further development fills in more of its area and then look at a larger beautification plan.

On my stance on the sidewalks, they don't go in weird directions. They are slightly unnatural at certain locations, but overall they get the job done, and it still works very well for vendors or food trucks to line up on them in an easy fashion. I'm not saying they're perfect, but I personally believe that they aid the overall appearance of the area, if you're into the design of it in the first place.

mkjeeves
06-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Trees really aren't meant to be here...

Except were they were, which frequently was and is near a water source.

FWIW, I live in Council Grove

http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2008/06/council-grove.html

As an avid paddler, sailor, and outdoors person...a huge downside of the area for me is it is devoid of what I like the most about my sports, nature. I have and will play down there, but concrete rivers and crushed gravel banks in an urban setting don't place it anywhere near the top of my list of places to go.

KayneMo
06-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Much of OKC does not lie within the Cross Timbers. Only the far northeastern parts of the OKC metro are actually inside it (source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_Timbers#29c:_Western_Cross_Timbers). I'm not going to get into the fact that Oklahoma has very diverse geography but the first image that will come to mind at the state's name is prairie land, which you'll find more shrubs and bushes for that kind of geography.

Not just the northeastern parts but also the eastern part of the metro and southeast OKC. And while technically that's the Cross Timbers, western parts of OKC and the metro are in a sub-ecoregion called called the Cross Timbers Transition, which is prairie and savanna, which naturally has trees. I only grouped them simply because both ecoregions have trees, which contradicts your statement of trees not belonging here.

ljbab728
07-14-2016, 10:52 PM
An extensive video interview and update with Mike Knopp, as is only done locally by the Oklahoman.

http://newsok.com/multimedia/video/5035888019001