View Full Version : Boathouse Row

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

wschnitt
01-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Where did that indoor surfing picture come from? Sources?

Pete
01-21-2012, 08:52 AM
It's in Steve's article from today's Oklahoman.

metro
01-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Indoor surfing, WOW. It started out a triangular pavilion, now it looks like it is moving to be fully enclosed and has artificial surfing.

http://photos3.newsok.com/cache/r620-6c15d070e7602f2fc0f7a5314dc4e66e.jpg

Excellent, now us surfers that are landlocked have an outlet. I've used indoor surfing facilities in California in the winter months and it's a blast. It bruises you up good when you fall though. Glad we are getting one in OKC.

OKCisOK4me
01-21-2012, 02:11 PM
That's awesome!

Doug Loudenback
01-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Excellent, now us surfers that are landlocked have an outlet. I've used indoor surfing facilities in California in the winter months and it's a blast. It bruises you up good when you fall though. Glad we are getting one in OKC.
Metro, it would be pretty hard for me to get down there (breathing problems), but, if this gets done and you name the time that you will be trying this out, I'll do my very best to be present and take some pics of you doing your thing on the indoor surfing deal.

This is a very good thing for SandRidge to do, and I was impressed that the amount its contribution was not disclosed so as not to be tooting its horn ...

Is SandRidge in danger of becoming a nice corporate "person?"

kevinpate
01-21-2012, 02:38 PM

It's possible. It's definitely an awesome thing for them to do.

Urban Pioneer
01-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Indoor surfing, WOW. It started out a triangular pavilion, now it looks like it is moving to be fully enclosed and has artificial surfing.

http://photos3.newsok.com/cache/r620-6c15d070e7602f2fc0f7a5314dc4e66e.jpg

Wow this is great! I go out to California at least once a year to surf and not having waves here has been the toughest challenge to my staying around.

Spartan
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Did SandRidge just sponsor something significant? Did metro just say he's a surfer? Has hell frozen over?

Way to go, SR.

Pete
01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
I see in the agenda for the Riverfront Authority they are commissioning a study to develop an equine facility along the river.

Although it's tricky to integrate horse riders with pedestrians and cyclists, it certainly has been done with good success elsewhere. Seems like a great idea, especially if they can tie it into other trails that branch off from the river.

I also see they are mentioning the "Power of 10" principle, which basically states to consistently draw people to an area that there needs to be at least 10 things for them to do. Looks we are making very good progress in this direction when it comes to the river.

lasomeday
01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Not sure if this is in that plan but I think it should go all the way to the Stockyards. Anyway we can continue to connect these hubs of attraction. Same reason I would like to see us regain passenger rail access from Bricktown to Remington Park.

Excited to see what their plans are with this addition.

Horses downtown really? That is a horrible idea. Maybe they should look at sending them west instead of to downtown.

We don't want horse nuggets on the concrete trails. There is a reason Jane Jacobs mentioned them in Death and Life of Great American Cities. They don't belong in downtowns!

gracefor24
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Metro, it would be pretty hard for me to get down there (breathing problems), but, if this gets done and you name the time that you will be trying this out, I'll do my very best to be present and take some pics of you doing your thing on the indoor surfing deal.

This is a very good thing for SandRidge to do, and I was impressed that the amount its contribution was not disclosed so as not to be tooting its horn ...

Is it possible that they've always been a nice corporate person that simply had a different vision than others for a piece of property? I think so. :) And I would think buying into an old, empty DT block and spending well over $100 million to renovate it (with that number increasing) would be called being a nice corporate person. Or how about giving generously to help Teach for America bring teachers to the NE side? Many other things that most wouldn't know about that make SD an incredible corporate citizen, much of which are less about corporate image and more about the character of the man running the company.

Snowman
01-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Being able to ride from the fairgrounds to the Stockyards would be a good route too.

Unless the stockyards reduced the activities which produce horrid odors for a few thousand feet, there are limits to the types of development that will happen between i44 & Penn and it is surprising how developed it is north and south of it between May & Agnue are now.

metro
01-24-2012, 05:05 PM
I could be wrong, but I believe the OCPD already have an equine facility on the river.

skanaly
01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
There's going to be public stands built am i correct?

Fantastic
01-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Horses downtown really? That is a horrible idea.

So, I'm guessing you are not fond of the Oklahoma Premier Carriage Company?

Doug Loudenback
01-25-2012, 06:13 AM
Is it possible that they've always been a nice corporate person that simply had a different vision than others for a piece of property? I think so. :) And I would think buying into an old, empty DT block and spending well over $100 million to renovate it (with that number increasing) would be called being a nice corporate person. Or how about giving generously to help Teach for America bring teachers to the NE side? Many other things that most wouldn't know about that make SD an incredible corporate citizen, much of which are less about corporate image and more about the character of the man running the company.
Anything is possible. I have no interest in beating a dead horse but there are some who still have negative impressions about how SandRidge handled the development of its campus plan in the review and appeal process, including its unwillingness to allow outside experts have a look at the inside of the India Temple and Okc S&L building. The stonewalling about that and some other related matters left a bad taste in the mouths of some. That is all I'll say about that.

Snowman
01-25-2012, 06:21 AM
A proposal to approval the OU boathouse construction went to the OU Board of Regents earlier this week, the story I saw was written before the meeting so it may not have passed, though that seems unlikely since it is fully funded and there will not be resistance at the site it is being built.

bombermwc
01-25-2012, 07:03 AM
lasomeday, perhaps you are unaware of the NYPD still using horses? I'd say that constitues "horse nuggets" on concrete. Ever heard of the mounted police in central park as well? Hmmmm.

gracefor24
01-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Anything is possible. I have no interest in beating a dead horse but there are some who still have negative impressions about how SandRidge handled the development of its campus plan in the review and appeal process, including its unwillingness to allow outside experts have a look at the inside of the India Temple and Okc S&L building. The stonewalling about that and some other related matters left a bad taste in the mouths of some. That is all I'll say about that.

Glad to hear your open to seeing the full truth. Hope others are as well.

lasomeday
01-25-2012, 07:29 AM
lasomeday, perhaps you are unaware of the NYPD still using horses? I'd say that constitues "horse nuggets" on concrete. Ever heard of the mounted police in central park as well? Hmmmm.

Bombermwc, you obviously don't have horses. I have had horses. They don't like bikes zooming by and have to be cleaned up after in urban areas. Those mounted cops have to jump off and clean up those messes.

I am not against the horses on trails. I just know that they pose safety issues. If not properly trained they can get spooked my skater boarders, bikes, etc. Which could lead to horses bucking and running off down streets. They are best for more rural areas. I think taking a horse west from the stockyards/Fairgrounds to Lake Overholser would be perfect.

lasomeday
01-25-2012, 07:32 AM
So, I'm guessing you are not fond of the Oklahoma Premier Carriage Company?

No, because the people that own the horses or are leading them are properly trained and so are the horses. Have you ever gone horse back riding in Mexico or on a vacation and had someone with you that has never ridden a horse and they freaked out. I have had too many experiences with people that have never been around large animals freaking out and causing the horses to jump and buck them off.

BoulderSooner
01-25-2012, 07:40 AM
A proposal to approval the OU boathouse construction went to the OU Board of Regents earlier this week, the story I saw was written before the meeting so it may not have passed, though that seems unlikely since it is fully funded and there will not be resistance at the site it is being built.

i did not find anything on the regents agenda for the OU boathouse .....

the regents did approve the ON Campus rowing practice facitlity ... with practice tank ... cost 6mil

Spartan
01-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Is it possible that they've always been a nice corporate person that simply had a different vision than others for a piece of property? I think so. :)

Give me a freaking break. That was a nightmare, so let's just focus on the good from the past year.

Pete
01-25-2012, 08:31 AM

the regents did approve the ON Campus rowing practice facitlity ... with practice tank ... cost 6mil

Thanks Boulder.

I don't know what the heck the holdup is here... They've had money donated, reported the full funds have been available, etc. Perhaps they are waiting for UCO so they can be developed at the same time? Or waiting on the new pavillion?

BoulderSooner
01-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks Boulder.

I don't know what the heck the holdup is here... They've had money donated, reported the full funds have been available, etc. Perhaps they are waiting for UCO so they can be developed at the same time? Or waiting on the new pavillion?

it is interesting ... i would think they would at least have a timeframe in mind for when they would start

gracefor24
01-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Give me a freaking break. That was a nightmare, so let's just focus on the good from the past year.

That's one way to see it. Of course the things Pete has pointed out show a bigger picture. But I think everyone hear sees that you're not into the bigger picture. Just your myopic hate based on a few unfortunate events that cast a shadow on what is otherwise a HUGE win for OKC.

The great thing about it is people like you will never have any real influence in a city like OKC. We need people who can see the bigger picture, treat people with respect, take a loss with dignity, and win with grace.

dankrutka
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM

Is there any chance they've pulled out? It's hard to believe they are spending 6 million for a practice facility in Norman and approximately 10 million for a boathouse on the river. That's a heck of a lot of money for a sport that will bring in no money...

BoulderSooner
01-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Is there any chance they've pulled out? It's hard to believe they are spending 6 million for a practice facility in Norman and approximately 10 million for a boathouse on the river. That's a heck of a lot of money for a sport that will bring in no money...

the only sport that brings in money is OU football (basketball has before) .... OU spends millions on all kinds of sports that don't make money ... and the 16 mil was all raised from the Athletic dept ... not from general funds ... if OU wants to win at women's rowing (they do) they have to spend the money

Popsy
01-25-2012, 02:55 PM
That's one way to see it. Of course the things Pete has pointed out show a bigger picture. But I think everyone hear sees that you're not into the bigger picture. Just your myopic hate based on a few unfortunate events that cast a shadow on what is otherwise a HUGE win for OKC.

The great thing about it is people like you will never have any real influence in a city like OKC. We need people who can see the bigger picture, treat people with respect, take a loss with dignity, and win with grace.

Extremely well said and accurately stated.

Doug Loudenback
01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
And, now, I hope, gracefor24, that you will return the courtesy.

More particularly, to set the scene for this reply and in this sequence, our exchanges were ... (truncated) ...

... to which you replied ...

Is it possible that they've always been a nice corporate person that simply had a different vision than others for a piece of property? I think so.
... to which I said ...

I'm one of those who has the bad taste residue that I've just identified. I hadn't really intended to say anything more on the subject and was content to let it lie. But, you then said,

To that, my response is that I trust that you, as well, are open to the possibility that your suggestion/inference, as follows, is likewise subject to the same possibility that I conceded to you, when you said ...

Is it possible that they've always been a nice corporate person that simply had a different vision than others for a piece of property?
... may also be not necessarily so and is open and subject to fair and legitimate challenge and critique, and, that, moreover, the contrary critique, as I've mentioned here in summary form above, may in fact, be correct.

Can I also say about you, gracefor24, "Glad to hear you're open to seeing the full truth?" Put differently, is it possible in your own mind's eye, that SandRidge HAS NOT ALWAYS been a nice corporate person?

Does that work for you, or do you wish to persist in your suggestion that SandRidge has ALWAYS been a nice corporate person? If you cannot concede contrary possibility, then let's just agree to disagree and go on from here.

OKCisOK4me
01-25-2012, 11:18 PM
Why is Sandrige Centers & Commons on the Boathouse Row thread??

MDot
01-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Why is Sandrige Centers & Commons on the Boathouse Row thread??

I just noticed that? That's weird.

gracefor24
01-26-2012, 09:41 AM
And, now, I hope, gracefor24, that you will return the courtesy.

More particularly, to set the scene for this reply and in this sequence, our exchanges were ... (truncated) ...

... to which you replied ...

... to which I said ...

I'm one of those who has the bad taste residue that I've just identified. I hadn't really intended to say anything more on the subject and was content to let it lie. But, you then said,

To that, my response is that I trust that you, as well, are open to the possibility that your suggestion/inference, as follows, is likewise subject to the same possibility that I conceded to you, when you said ...

... may also be not necessarily so and is open and subject to fair and legitimate challenge and critique, and, that, moreover, the contrary critique, as I've mentioned here in summary form above, may in fact, be correct.

Can I also say about you, gracefor24, "Glad to hear you're open to seeing the full truth?" Put differently, is it possible in your own mind's eye, that SandRidge HAS NOT ALWAYS been a nice corporate person?

Does that work for you, or do you wish to persist in your suggestion that SandRidge has ALWAYS been a nice corporate person? If you cannot concede contrary possibility, then let's just agree to disagree and go on from here.

My issue was relating the entire Sandridge Commons controversy with Sandridge's total corporate persona. It's ridiculous and myopic. So your comment about the "danger" of SD becoming a "nice corporate person" was tongue in cheek but also misguided, similar to how you admonished Spartan in another thread about his comments directed towards Heritage hills residents.

Am I willing to admit that SD made MAJOR mistakes with the Commons process? Of course. Am I willing to say that I think it's bad urban design? Of course. Am I willing to say that that made SD a bad corporate person? No. Because that wasn't the totality of what the company was doing at that time.

At the same time as the controversy SD was busy giving away millions of dollars and creating hundreds of jobs for Oklahomans and filling a block with life that had been dead for a long while.

Now we see SD expanding their reach to the Boathouse Row and specifically with regards to the involvement of children.

With that I'd say it isn't a turn of public relations but just a realization of who they have been in the past that was marred by one unfortunate process.

Doug Loudenback
01-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Oh. Anyway, I didn't call SandRidge a bunch of boozers. :dizzy:

gracefor24
01-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Oh. Anyway, I didn't call SandRidge a bunch of boozers. :dizzy:

Haha. Very true. :)

Spartan
01-26-2012, 08:42 PM

Why do you think I care about having influence in OKC? I fail to understand what is so insidious about someone merely articulating their thoughts and contributing to larger movements comprised of individuals that do have real influence? Is it just beyond your comprehension that someone's activism could be irregardless of personal ambition? If so, let me just set the record straight, I have no ambitions whatsoever when it comes to political or influential realms. All I have is what I have to say.

All you have evidently is personal attacks, so congratulations on that as well. I can't even say something positive about SandRidge without my devout following of obsessed detractors rearing their ugly head.

bombermwc
01-27-2012, 07:01 AM
the only sport that brings in money is OU football (basketball has before) .... OU spends millions on all kinds of sports that don't make money ... and the 16 mil was all raised from the Athletic dept ... not from general funds ... if OU wants to win at women's rowing (they do) they have to spend the money

Let's get back to the Boathouses here.....

Before we start having people go ape here on football, remember that football (good or bad) actually funds basically the rest of the athletic department. It doesn't take 2 seconds of thought to realize that you need to pay for things like coaches, equipment, travel in things like gymnastics. But you would never make that in ticket sales. It's not just an OU thing, that's true in almost any school...high school or college. The majority of people go to football games and they make more band for their buck because of it. Basketball requires a LOT of games, to facility use cost is high. Think about the electric bill Lloyd Noble has for 40 games, plus all the staff. At OU games, most of that concession staff is volunteer for fund raising (after it's already been contracted out). You don't have to heat/cool the stadium either. And 80+ at $80+ a pop can't compared to basketball either. Basketball is #2 in the cash raising area, but it's not a close #2.

Now what does that mean for the boathouses. It means if OU has crew, then that money has to come from somewhere. If it comes out the general athletic funding, then that means that it will have to be taken from some other programs that already use it...cause you don't think they have a surplus do you? If it's women's, then Title IX cash can come into play. But that's not going to be used for facilties. The boathouse itself is going to be either out of a general fund (which i doubt they would do), or constructed through fundraising like the others were.

As we've seen, the effort has already been put in to secure the funding. And rather than doing what so many places do, they took the approach OCU takes with any building. Raise the funds first and THEN build it without a loan. The alumni base and community is so behind OU, it would be silly to think they wouldn't be able to secure the funding. Hell, OCU can plop out 100 million for a building out of a single benefactor for a music building, so why couldn't OU get 20 for the boathouse (obviosuly we've seen they already have it).

But these things don't happen overnight. We'd all like to see them all built yesterday, but we just need to wait a little folks. If you wait and let the full funding flow, you'll have a better product than if you put it out there before you have it....just look at the Native Americian Cultural Center...cough cough.

BoulderSooner
01-27-2012, 11:22 AM
OU boathouse is fully funded. And has been for a little bit

Steve
01-30-2012, 09:09 AM
My understanding is design work on the OU boathouse is underway.

bombermwc
02-01-2012, 06:33 AM
Well that was sort of the point of what I said boulder...it's already paid for. They secured funding before building...rather than taking out a loan for it.

People are just antsy when they think nothing is happening, even if it's happening behind the scenes.

Snowman
02-01-2012, 07:07 AM
My understanding is design work on the OU boathouse is underway.

Did they want changes made? As of six months ago the boathouse foundation was saying that the design was just waiting on final approval from OU.

dankrutka
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Did they want changes made? As of six months ago the boathouse foundation was saying that the design was just waiting on final approval from OU.

Exactly. We're not antsy. It's just that final funding has long been secured.

Spartan
02-02-2012, 07:33 AM
OU may not be in any hurry to get this done just because they already have bare bones facilities somewhere. This is mostly a PR and cosmetic deal for them.

Decious
02-02-2012, 08:29 AM
OU may not be in any hurry to get this done just because they already have bare bones facilities somewhere. This is mostly a PR and cosmetic deal for them.

They do Nick. It's on the river as well. I assume it's leased space.

http://youtu.be/SN_-A9IsiYM

Snowman
02-06-2012, 07:02 PM
A consulting agency to rowers evaluating universities is saying that the OU boathouse has been approved.

http://www.sparksconsult.com/reports-from-the-front/university-of-oklahoma-womens-rowing/

stdennis
04-02-2012, 11:27 AM
They do Nick. It's on the river as well. I assume it's leased space.

http://youtu.be/SN_-A9IsiYM

If you look at http://www.soonersports.com/s-finder/rowing.html

it shows that they use the Chesapeake Boathouse currently.

bombermwc
04-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Sure is taking a long time for these other boathouses to even level some dirt....

Pete
06-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Update to be presented to City Council next week:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6121.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61220.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6122.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6123.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6124.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6125.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6126.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6127.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6128.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse6129.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61210.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61211.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61212.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61213.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61214.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61215.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61216.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61217.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61218.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/boathouse61219.jpg

mmonroe
06-09-2012, 08:00 AM
I hate how the power lines make the view horrible...

OKCisOK4me
06-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Makes you wonder why they can't run the lines on the south shore or even thought of that in the first place... Probably money issues.

Pete
06-09-2012, 09:06 AM
The power lines were supposed to be moved.

It was in their plan with specific dates. Have no idea what happened to that but I agree, they greatly detract from the massive investment being made in this area.

Snowman
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I did not think the ones south of 6th were being touched. Though the small power lines that ran along Laird & 5th are probably being removed, large ones along 6th & the river sounded like they would be converted to what is along 6th.

dankrutka
06-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I hope all these plans come to fruition. It's going to be an amazing area that will hopefully attract a lot of private development too. However, I just don't understand the hold up on the OU boathouse. The funding has been in place for a while and they don't even have an estimated date... Just TBD.

Spartan
06-09-2012, 12:53 PM
It's going to be an amazing area that will hopefully attract a lot of private development too.

Hopefully. I just don't see how, or where. They've built it in a vacuum merely adjacent to the downtown area. Perhaps if they developed over the proposed surface parking lots and the area with the warehouse..

betts
06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
I think expanding the Bricktown Canal will help with accessibility. Not really because of the canal, but because of the path alongside it. That will allow foot traffic and bike traffic to easily access the river.

Spartan
06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I just don't see that making up for how disjointed it is from the downtown street grid. It will always be a nice, secluded park area, perhaps even suburban in design and inspiration. But as for mixed-use and residential development, or other attempts to bring more activity to this area, I just think non sequitur.

And that is a shame considering the caliber of architectural and athletic facilities, and that for the time being, this is our best riverfront.

Pete
06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
The best bet is for the river to be developed in the Core to Shore area and the whole area becoming a recreation corridor.

dcsooner
06-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Afraid this concept will be like so many others in OKC. Start out with grandeous plans but the reallity is that neither the will nor the funding is available to start or complete the project. Finish the AICC and make it into the world class venue it was touted to become. OKC is famous for producing grand plans but as we have seen so often those plans are many time left undone or half done or unfinished. OKC needs to do a few things well and on time rather that selling the public on alot of things done not so well and beyond the original cost and schedule/

Spartan
06-10-2012, 06:51 PM
This boathouse row is already exceeding expectations, is largely privately-funded, and is delivering what it originally proposed, at least so far. The problem here is just that the original proposal, which is coming to fruition, never once took into account how to build a waterfront with private development.

Pete
06-10-2012, 07:35 PM
The canal extension, playground, indoor surf tank and zip line are all pretty much already funded and the OU and UCO boathouses are close. The grandstand, whitewater facility, windscreen and lighting are funded through MAPS 3. That doesn't leave much left.

There is plenty of room on the river for more development and lots of people are already looking into that.

It's amazing how far this area has come and within five years it's going to be incredible, and that's only the beginning.