View Full Version : Removing Window Tint

Karried
03-16-2008, 07:57 AM
When I bought my vehicle it had a really dark tint on all windows which I personally think is unsafe. I've always wanted to remove it.

And now I have more of an incentive since Edmond is starting to ticket drivers...

$244 ticket!

I want to leave the darker on the back and backseat passengers but remove it and put a lighter tint on the driver's and passenger front windows.

Any experience with this or a company that does it?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Cliff notes: Any tint shop will do it...But it costs extra to remove tint because it's a complete and total PITA.

Tolstoy version: I just went through this one one of my trucks. I had two layers of limo tint on the back glass, and some really light tint on the driver/passenger windows.

I put a camper on the back that came pretinted, so with that in addition to the double-limo on the backglass of the pickup...I might as well have spraypainted the rear window. When the passenger window got knocked out, it was the only excuse I need to correct all my tint related woes. I had the tint removed off of two windows (driver and backglass, the passenger side was new and untinted), and the front two windows tinted to where I wanted it. That cost me $100 out the door at Audio Plus about two weeks ago.

The only reason I went there is because Alta Meter (however you spell it) on S. Western couldn't fit me in that day. Every shop I've been to for go-fast parts, repair parts, or accessories has recommended Alta Meter...Including the automotive glass shop that I buy glass from.

If I had it to do over...I'd have waited on Alta Meter. My tint has a couple of bubbles in it and there are a couple of questionable spots on them as well. I've got to take it back in. I've NEVER had to had a shop redo tint.

Oh, and if you want to remove it yourself? Good luck. It's tedious, messy, and much easier than you think to scratch the inside surface of your window.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Wait a minute...Edmond is ticketing for tint all of a sudden? Do you know the % value of tint allowed by chance?

35% used to be the rule...But I thought that went out the window with safety inspections.

Heck, I've got a couple of friends that have even tinted their windshields and not been hassled.

BTW, I don't recommend tinting your windshield. It looks cool, but you can't see SQUAT out of the car at night.

okclee
03-16-2008, 03:02 PM
I got a "window tint ticket" in Moore. The moto-cop specifically pulled me over for, what he considered dark tint.

I have never thought of my tint as being dark. The officer also gave me a copy of the Moore law, he said that the city of Moore was cracking down on tinted windows.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 03:04 PM
How dark are your windows?

Martin
03-16-2008, 03:17 PM
it's spelled altamere. not being a spelling nazi... honest! just might be harder to find otherwise. afaik, they've got locations all around the metro area.

regarding tickets for tinted windows, i also thought enforcement of that had halted. perhaps it was just okc police that stopped pulling people over for it.

-M

Karried
03-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Oklahoma Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com (http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OK/)

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OKLAHOMA?
http://www.tintcenter.com/img/clear.gif
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Oklahoma, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
http://www.tintcenter.com/img/clear.gif WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 25% of light in.Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 25% of light in.Rear WindowMust allow more than 25% of light in.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 04:37 PM
it's spelled altamere. not being a spelling nazi... honest! just might be harder to find otherwise. afaik, they've got locations all around the metro area.

regarding tickets for tinted windows, i also thought enforcement of that had halted. perhaps it was just okc police that stopped pulling people over for it.

-M

Thanks! I knew I'd butchered it, just not that badly :)

HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN OKLAHOMA?
http://www.tintcenter.com/img/clear.gif
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Oklahoma, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.
http://www.tintcenter.com/img/clear.gif WindshieldNon-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line. Front Side WindowsMust allow more than 25% of light in.Back Side WindowsMust allow more than 25% of light in.Rear WindowMust allow more than 25% of light in.

THAT...is news to me. It used to be 35% on the driver/passenger windows, and as dark as you like on the back.

Weird. I've got 18% all the way around on both of mine...Hope I don't get nailed.

Karried
03-16-2008, 06:17 PM
How do you tell anyway? Mine is so black, I swear I have to roll my window down at night to drive. That can't be safe!

It's coming off this week.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 06:39 PM
Ask a cop. They've got testing equipment :D

Sounds like you've got 5%. It's pretty hard to see out of at night. 18-20 percent is about as dark as I can handle. 25% is probably a good (and legal, I guess) compromise. 35 is too light (for my tastes)...People can still see my finger at 35%. :D

Karried
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes, I think so too.... I've never liked it.. I think it looks nice but I can't see! lol

Click on the FreeImage to get a bigger pic.

FreeImageHosting.net Hosting Service (http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?d7e292ecd8.jpg)

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.d7e292ecd8.jpg

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
That looks pretty dark! Nice truck though :)

Here's mine with 18%...Or 20%...Now that you've got me talking about it...I can't remember the percentage :/

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/imawingnut/fred1.jpg

Karried
03-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Nice Truck!

Well I have to get the tint removed... I don't want a ticket.

All this Car maintenance is threatening to break the bank!

We just had the Mickey Thompson Baja Belted put on our truck and the ball joints replaced...detailed it out.... this has turned into quite the project!

But it does look really awesome with new tires.

The truck has an 8 inch lift ( Ford F350) with a Long Bed and a Crew Cab... it's a big boy.

These are some big tires!

Tire size:

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Dangit...Looking at that picture of my truck again, everything is green. So that's from last summer....Those (front) windows are at 35%. I'm a retard.

They're at 18-20 now.

*kicks own ass*

F350 with 8" lift...Saplings cower and small animals run and hide when that comes rumblin' down the road. I had one with 14" of total lift a while back. Lifted trucks go through parts like there's an award for breaking the most. Especially if you drive them off-road, like I did. Parts cost more for them too. That's why I went with a 2 wheel drive this time, and did a mild 3" lift. Since it's 2wd, I won't be beating around the trails with it, and it's not so high that I can't get in and out of it. I think I'm just getting old :D

CC long bed? Dang...When he turns a corner, he's got to wait until Thursday for the ass to follow.

I drive the short-truck now :D

DVDFreaker
03-16-2008, 11:58 PM
Don't really understand the need for tint, they are pointless, well, unless they use the tint to have sex inside the car so people can't see

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Don't really understand the need for tint, they are pointless, well, unless they use the tint to have sex inside the car so people can't see

Off the top of my head...

-I like privacy
-It helps tremendously with keeping it cool in the summer
-I like to have sex in my car
-I like privacy
-I pick my nose in traffic
-I like privacy
-So I can shoot the bird at people without worrying about getting beat up for it
-I like privacy

Oh, and I like the way it looks.

MadMonk
03-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Once you plop down on black leather or vinyl seats that have been sitting the the sun in the middle of summer, you will begin to understand (as the first layer of skin sloughs off your legs). :D

MikeLucky
03-17-2008, 08:56 AM

well it keeps your interior in better shape since it blocks the UV damage to the upholstery and trim.....

And it reduces the UV light in your car.... do you not ever wear sunglasses?

Far from pointless......

Karried
03-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Pointless?

I have actually been worried about the effects of UV rays on my interior if I do remove it .... it really does make a difference with our hot summers.

Chefdavies
03-17-2008, 09:40 AM
I heard about this couple weeks ago. I want to say maybe 5 years ago, judges were throwing out any case brought to them bc of "illegal tints," for one reason. The meters the police were using most often would not read correctly, and the judge didnt want to go outside and see for themselves. Personally I think this is just another "stupid" ticket for the edmond police to give you. Honestly, I live in edmond, HOW MUCH VIOLENCE IS THERE??? Is the edmond police dept really that worried as they say?

kevinpate
03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
it couldn't be because everybody's the same color behind heavily tinted windows and that could mess with eyeballing those deemed less desireable ... nah, nobody profiles anymore, that's a thing of the past

Chefdavies
03-17-2008, 10:34 AM
haha, very true...I have noticed that whenever I have my hat backwards I always get stared at, but when I fix my hair its as if i'm never there. Maybe this weekend I'll have someone follow me and prove this point....Na not worth my time. Profiling sucks

DVDFreaker
03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
well it keeps your interior in better shape since it blocks the UV damage to the upholstery and trim.....

And it reduces the UV light in your car.... do you not ever wear sunglasses?

Far from pointless......

Yeah I wear them so that is why tints is pointless

MadMonk
03-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Sheesh! Do you not grasp the concept that UV light also fades and cracks the various surfaces of your interior, which is the point she was getting at? Much like sunglasses for your eyes, the tint helps preserve the interior, therefore it's very much NOT pointless. You may not like it, and that's your personal opinion, but there are good reasons for it. My personal opinion is that every car I will ever own will have at least some degree of tint on the windows.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
I heard about this couple weeks ago. I want to say maybe 5 years ago, judges were throwing out any case brought to them bc of "illegal tints," for one reason. The meters the police were using most often would not read correctly, and the judge didnt want to go outside and see for themselves. Personally I think this is just another "stupid" ticket for the edmond police to give you. Honestly, I live in edmond, HOW MUCH VIOLENCE IS THERE??? Is the edmond police dept really that worried as they say?

If I ever get a ticket for it, I'll go to the police parking lot, and start snapping pictures of the popo's vehicles. Both professional as well as personal. I know I've seen many, MANY policemen that have limo tint on their own vehicles as well as their patrol cars.

MikeLucky
03-18-2008, 09:38 AM

those must be BIG sunglasses if they protect your interior and keep your car cool.

Chefdavies
03-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm sure the next ordinace Edmond will pass will be a cell phone law. Which of course you can argue "How many police officers are on theirs driving or using their laptop computers while driving. I almost got hit head on by one of edmond's finest in a macdonalds parking lot, bc he was looking at his laptop while tryin to exit the parking lot. I just don't understand the need for this law. So is 35%???

Chefdavies
04-15-2008, 08:43 AM
So, after having a run in with some of edmond's finest last week for a reason I can't really explain (basically someone called the cops on myself and girlfriend for getting into guitar hero tooo much). I asked the officer about the tint law/ordinace. He couldn't explain it at all!!! HAHA I basically asked is it the same thing as in back in the day. ( I had remembered him from when I was in high school) He said yes, and they were just inforcing it more now...Amazing. Just thought I would let you all know.

metro
04-16-2008, 10:44 AM
When I bought my vehicle it had a really dark tint on all windows which I personally think is unsafe. I've always wanted to remove it.

And now I have more of an incentive since Edmond is starting to ticket drivers...

$244 ticket!

I want to leave the darker on the back and backseat passengers but remove it and put a lighter tint on the driver's and passenger front windows.

Yes, I use and am related to the owners of Alta Mere on NW Expressway so I'm kind of biased, but they do a good job. It's not illegal to have dark or limo tint in the back, but just the front two windows can't be blacked out (I think any lower than 35% is illegal). Don't try removing it yourself if you don't know what your doing, it's easy if you know what your doing though.

Karried
04-16-2008, 10:56 AM
thanks metro .. NW Expressway and what cross street?

Do you know what it might cost to have the front tints removed and retinted a little lighter?

metro
04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I'll PM you.

sentrymechanic
05-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I have 5% on my doors and rear windshield. If I had it to do over, i would have stayed around 15 or 25 on the sides. I do like the way it keeps the truck cooler though.

metro
05-06-2008, 09:12 AM
Karried, did you get it done yet? If so did you end up going to Alta Mere?

jsenter
05-06-2008, 09:15 AM

$244 ticket!

Keep the tint. Keeps homeless bum panhandlers from looking in.

Karried
05-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Keep the tint. Keeps homeless bum panhandlers from looking in.

Thanks for your suggestion.. but I don't have a problem with that....my windows are usually down at that point while I hand them money or food.

Metro, thanks for the PM, I'll give them a call.. with summer approaching I hate to lose it! But I need to get it fixed.

jsenter
05-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your suggestion.. but I don't have a problem with that....my windows are usually down at that point while I hand them money or food.

Shame on you. You should give them bottles of beer instead. Saves them the trip to walmart.

oneforone
05-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I highlty recommend Alta-Mere. I have had them do three diffrent vehicles over the the last ten years. Every time the job was professional and looked as if it were factory tint.

Thunder
06-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Oklahoma allows by low the darkest tint that can be on autos is 5%.

On my car, I have 5% on all 4 side windows and the back, plus the same for front strip.

I've never had any problem with it and the police confirmed that 5% is allowed in the state.

I see very well thru it at night.

jsibelius
06-15-2008, 04:12 PM

The first time I drove on the highway after buying a new car with no tint changed my mind in a hurry. My leg was on fire after an hour in the sun. A/C just wasn't enough. I'll never have another car without tint. And I guess that means I'll never get to live in Missouri (darn) since I think they don't allow tint.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-16-2008, 11:48 PM
The first time I drove on the highway after buying a new car with no tint changed my mind in a hurry. My leg was on fire after an hour in the sun. A/C just wasn't enough. I'll never have another car without tint. And I guess that means I'll never get to live in Missouri (darn) since I think they don't allow tint.

That's why you shouldn't wear short-pants outside the bedroom! :053:

OKCMallen
07-07-2008, 01:04 PM
Oklahoma allows by low the darkest tint that can be on autos is 5%.

On my car, I have 5% on all 4 side windows and the back, plus the same for front strip.

I've never had any problem with it and the police confirmed that 5% is allowed in the state.

I see very well thru it at night.

5% is basically limo tint and I highly recommend no one actually expect to be able to see well through it at night.

CuatrodeMayo
07-07-2008, 01:29 PM
And I guess that means I'll never get to live in Missouri (darn) since I think they don't allow tint.

They allow it.

Missouri Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com (http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/MO/)

Thunder
07-07-2008, 06:07 PM
5% is basically limo tint and I highly recommend no one actually expect to be able to see well through it at night.

I see thru it quite well.

OKCMallen
07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, maybe you're a superhero or have great vision, but telling people en masse that 5% on your car is safe at night is almost irresponsible. And it's NOT legal. I recommend 20% or above. I had trouble seeing out of my 15% at times at night.

Thunder
07-08-2008, 09:48 PM
telling people en masse that 5% on your car is safe at night is almost irresponsible.

I didn't tell people that 5% is safe. Your accusation was thrown out the window.

For me, it is safe, because many idiots on the road has the habit of (racing style) driving side by side, staring at me, which gets me nervous.

My dark tint prevents people from seeing me, so they just drive on by without harassing me.

jsibelius
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
That's why you shouldn't wear short-pants outside the bedroom! :053:

:LolLolLol

They allow it.

Missouri Window Tint Law - TintCenter.com (http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/MO/)

Hmmm...I wonder where I got that idea, then? :bright_id