View Full Version : Ideas for June OKCTalk Event

Pete
03-14-2008, 03:26 PM
I will be in OKC for a few days the second week of June and wanted to gauge interest and get some feedback on a potential event for the good posters of OKCTalk.

I’d like to organize something where those that were interested could meet up and also tour some important developments and/or historical buildings, and/or feature a prominent local leader and/or developer(s).

This is rough but it may serve as a good starting point to give the idea some shape:

When: Thursday June 12th. Meet at 6PM.
Where: Grand Banking Hall / Santa Fe Station / Plaza Court or similar
What: Walking tour of particular buildings and/or areas of downtown/Bricktown, etc.
After: End up at a private room at RED (or similar) where we could have dinner and drinks and feature a speaker (Larry Nichols? Anthony McDermid? Greg Banta? Marva Ellard? Joe Van Bullard? Mick Cornett? Steve Lackmeyer?) or two

We could also discuss a project the board could undertake, such as a beautification effort or something similar. It would be nice to rally around something actionable where we could all plow our ample opinions and words into something tangible. :)

I'd also like to structure things where people could come for the tour but not necessarily stay for dinner & drinks and vice versa.

I would greatly appreciate your input and interest. It would be great fun to meet each other and make better connections within the OKC leadership community.

Karried
03-14-2008, 03:44 PM
That's a great idea! ... now if only everyone can get over their fear of meeting face to face ..... lol

mheaton76
03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey Pete - this sounds like a really great idea. I'd definitely be game to participate in something along those lines. I recommend charging some sort of fee definitely.

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

John
03-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Grant Humphreys would be another suggestion for a speaker.

Pete
03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
I realize that some value their anonymity but I've been down this road before with another big message board and what started as a timid group of 20 has grown into a social group that draws about 50 or so every time something is organized.

We don't need to big crowd to do this... If we could get 10-15 people to come, that would be plenty. And hopefully, there would be more.

Pete
03-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Rand Elliott would be another great one.

Or Mark Kranenburg from the airport authority.

jbrown84
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm all for it (except I would prefer no Joe Van Bullard). I think he would just get bullied anyway.

Pete
03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
I understand the thoughts about JVB but since OCURA has so much power and influence over the areas that concern so many of us, it might be very interesting to hear his perspective. I have the feeling many of the perceptions on this board would likely be changed.

He might not want to meet us, though, if he reads some of the comments here. :)

Intrepid
03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
What? No Sally Kern??

;)

Doug Loudenback
03-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Count me in. But I don't think that Sally Kern could take the heat! :sofa:

Patrick
03-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Keith and I might be there, depending on when it will be....I'm guessing the above is tentative.

FRISKY
03-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I'm interested in this.

TStheThird
03-14-2008, 08:13 PM
I will be there if I am in town.

Pete
03-14-2008, 08:36 PM
The date is relatively firm -- I doubt it will change due to my travel schedule.

Glad to see such a positive response.

bandnerd
03-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe, if there is an addition to the invite that all pitchforks and torches be left at home ;)

Saberman
03-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Leave you tar and feathers at home also....

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-14-2008, 09:33 PM
I actually would love to go, but I'm not really interested in a speaker,
unless it was someone here.

I find the food part interesting.

Caipirinhas sound good.

Intrepid
03-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Maybe, if there is an addition to the invite that all pitchforks and torches be left at home ;)

You are absolutely no fun at all!!!

;)

andy157
03-15-2008, 06:55 AM
A walking tour would be fine. But a trolly tour would be relaxing, and it my allow you to take in more sites before dark. Just a thought.

CCOKC
03-15-2008, 07:46 AM
Count me in as well. I like the idea of a speaker to get some insight into what is going on downtown as my husband and I are interested in moving there when our kids are gone to college in a few years.

Doug Loudenback
03-15-2008, 09:00 AM
A walking tour would be fine. But a trolly tour would be relaxing, and it my allow you to take in more sites before dark. Just a thought.
How about getting some of those horse drawn carriages? I've never been in one ... probably don't hold enough people though ...

kevinpate
03-15-2008, 09:15 AM
y'all can have my pitchfork when y'all pry it from my cold daid hand :)

CuatrodeMayo
03-15-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm interested. If I still live here by then.

Rifleman2C
03-15-2008, 10:04 AM
I too am interested... but I won't be back in town until July.

I guess timing is everything. :(

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I know! How about a band?

oneforone
03-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Best of luck on getting an event together... In the past some of us have met for meals(usually somewhere casual and affordable), Blazers and Redhawk games, and a Passion Party. (LOL the old timer's will get the last one.)

I know every time in the past an event has been scheduled twenty people commit to going and only 5 show up. The 15 that did not show up always came up with a lame ass excuse why they could not go.

I guess some people were scared that they will be grilled for thier points of veiw. In all actuality those of us that got together had a good a time.

We rarely talked about the activities on the board. When we did talk about the board we were looking at what to do to draw more traffic and to make the site better for the exiting members.

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Why do you want to make things better for the exiting members?

Karried
03-15-2008, 01:09 PM
I think you are talking about Single's Events.

oneforone, I don't recall you going to an event under this username.

Did you post as someone else?

Pete
03-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Another idea would be a ride on the new river water taxi.

We could perhaps charter one of the boats and have some appetizers and talk as part of the cruise.

It sure is nice to have all these great new options, isn't it?

betts
03-16-2008, 11:43 AM
If I'm in town, I'll be there. I've got a trip tentatively scheduled that might conflict, with dates not of my choosing. But, I'd love to attend. Any of the above mentioned options sound good to me.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I'll be honest...I don't make a habit of volunteering to hear ANYBODY speak, no matter the topic. It's just not something I enjoy.

I'm MUCH more casual than that.

That said...I'd be down for a get together. Every time I've met people from the intertubes, it's turned out to be fun...And I've not wound up on Dateline yet.

metro
03-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Pete, the boat idea might be a good idea, as long as no one throws me overboard!

kmf563
03-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Depending on details - I would like to participate. I promise to play nice.

The Old Downtown Guy
03-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Perhaps. I would suggest Midtown for this event. . . meet at Plaza Court . . . have someone from Banta's group give a little walking tour of some of their projects in the immediate area . . . Marva Ellard might let us have a look at the Sieber which is just a couple of blocks away and finish up at the Cafe de Brazil roof bar. Next time around do something that would include Maywood, The Hill, Block 42 and finish at Red . . . or vice versa.

Pete
03-18-2008, 06:27 PM
That would be a great plan ODG, especially if McNellie's is open by then.

The Old Downtown Guy
03-19-2008, 06:07 PM
That would be a great plan ODG, especially if McNellie's is open by then.

Not even remotely possible. But I do owe you a beer there when it does open.

soonerguru
03-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Pete,

Count me in. I would be thrilled to join. I tend to agree that a speaker could be good -- or a drag. Obviously, that depends on the speaker.

If it's Steve, we can remind him that he thinks we're a bunch of conspiracy theorists who "don't really know what's going on downtown." (I kid)