View Full Version : Devon Plans Downtown Skyscraper

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

soonerkev
03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Devon plans downtown skyscraperBy Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer
Copyright by The Oklahoman, 2008

Devon Energy Corp. is pursuing plans to build a new "iconic" downtown corporate headquarters — one that would be the tallest building in Oklahoma City

In an exclusive interview with The Oklahoman, Devon Chief Executive Officer Larry Nichols also confirmed he resigned from the board of the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority because the city agency owns the proposed tower site.

In response to interest expressed by Devon Energy, Urban Renewal is set to issue a request for development proposals at next week's meeting for the old Galleria parking deck just north of the Myriad Gardens.

"In talking with experts and engineers, we're looking at something in excess of $350 million," Nichols said. "We're talking about something that matches MAPS I."

With 1,350 employees based downtown, Nichols said the company needs to move forward with construction of a new headquarters that he hopes can be completed within four years. He expects 2,000 people will move into the new tower when it is completed.

"Devon has recognized for some time that we need to consolidate into one building," he said. "We now have employees in five different buildings. There are obviously inefficiencies in that."

Nichols said Devon has yet to hire an architectural firm, though there have been "extensive conversations" with a potential candidate.

He estimates the building will span more than 1 million square feet. But when asked the potential height of the building, he could only cite the size of the floor plans. By dividing 1 million square feet by the proposed floor size, the height will be at least 37 stories.

Currently, the tallest building in Oklahoma City is downtown's 36-story Chase Tower.

"To have 1 million square feet, it will probably be the tallest building downtown," Nichols said. "That's not the goal — I don't care about having the tallest building or not. I do care that it be an iconic building, that it be distinctive building. It will change the skyline downtown, and we want to build a building that everyone will be proud to have in Oklahoma City."

While he has toured buildings in major metropolitan areas including New York and Washington, Nichols could not single out a particular skyscraper as a personal favorite.

"I wish there were a building I could say, 'Go build that,'" Nichols said.

But Nichols does have some basic ideas as to what he does and does not want in a new corporate headquarters. He doesn't want the sort of windswept plazas that often are desolate around some of the downtown Oklahoma City towers built in the 1970s.

But he does want a large public space — a large enclosed atrium with cafes, a large conference center, and an enclosed garden.

"We want a fairly large distinctive atrium that would be unlike anything that exists in Oklahoma at the moment," Nichols said.

He also wants to explore opening a never-completed tunnel that connects the Galleria parking deck to the gardens, and he hopes to somehow connect to The Underground pedestrian tunnels.

But before any of this can become reality, Devon must first respond to Urban Renewal's request for development proposals. Nichols isn't legally required to resign from his board seat, which he had held since he was first appointed by former Mayor Ron Norick. Nichols said he insisted on resigning to avoid any appearance of impropriety.

If selected as the developer for the site, Devon must still negotiate parking arrangements with the city for the City Center Garage. Nichols said the discussion would likely include adding floors to the west City Center garage, which opened two years ago. The tower would also have underground parking.

Urban Renewal Executive Director JoeVan Bullard called the proposed tower the largest single development in the agency's history.

"What a great, great day this is," Bullard said. "But there are always two sides to this story, and Larry not being an Urban Renewal commissioner any longer is really saddening. He has served admirably for 20 years. He's absolutely the best example of a corporate citizen willing to take on the responsibility to serve on this voluntary board, and he has been wonderful."

oumoodman85
03-12-2008, 10:50 PM
YES! I can't believe its finally happening. I have complained for so long that the skyline downtown doesn't reflect the renaissance that is occurring throughout OKC. I can complain no longer! Can't wait to see a preliminary design sometime in the near future.

Steve
03-12-2008, 10:53 PM
We've got more coverage at NewsOK (http://www.newsok.com), and my blog at OKC Central — All about downtown OKC (http://www.okccentral.com).
-Steve

soonerfever
03-12-2008, 10:56 PM
I really hope this goes through. This will be a huge leap into the future for OKC. This can really make OKC stand out. I hope they make sure it is the tallest and most iconic. We were all hoping for big news from FNC and we get this too. Nothing bad against FNC but this news blows it out of the water. THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!

AFCM
03-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Rock on!!! I'm glad they're not just building a tower, but making it iconic.

Steve
03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
In our interview Larry Nichols was very insistent that this be no ordinary office tower.

mheaton76
03-12-2008, 11:10 PM
YES! Okay - NBA, C2S, and a new skyscraper for Devon?! Gazing into my crystal ball, the benefits of all of these developments and their importance cannot be understated for Oklahoma City - each will support, be symbiotic, and cause even further growth in the CBD that will please and surprise us all .

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

Pete
03-12-2008, 11:22 PM
YESSSSS!!!!

In order to get 1 million square feet (which is exactly what I predicted in other threads!) a building is more likely to be around 50 stories, as a typical floorplate would be around 20,000 sq. ft. each -- and that's a good size. Chase Tower, for example, has less than 15,000 per floor. Oklahoma Tower is about 18,300. So, I would be very surprised if this thing ended up being much less than 50 floors.

Boy, is OKC on a roll! It's seems like the momentum is growing every single day.

Pete
03-12-2008, 11:25 PM
Devon's tower, called a catalyst for Core to Shore
By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

ABOUT 25 YEARS AFTER the last high rise was built downtown, Oklahoma City's skyline is set to change significantly with construction of a new Devon Energy headquarters.

Designed to climb at least 37 stories high, the tower will top downtown's Chase Tower, Oklahoma Tower, First National and City Place — all currently the tallest skyscrapers in Oklahoma City.

"This is another booster shot,” Mayor Mick Cornett said when told of the company's announcement. "As good as things have been, this gives us every reason to believe things will get even better. It shows there is a lot of investment going into the city's future.”

Cornett said Devon's tower shows a confidence in not just its work force, but also the city's momentum.

But a new Devon Tower will be more than symbolic for downtown. Devon Energy Chief Executive Larry Nichols said he never considered building anywhere but downtown and said the new site is only two blocks west of Devon's current headquarters.

Even so, the new site is going to bring 2,000 people within walking distance of the west fringe of downtown, where development has lagged, compared with the rest of the city's core. Empty storefronts can be found just across the street from where the tower will be built.

Nichols and Cornett agree the tower also will serve as a gateway to the "Core to Shore” area — blighted land south of the central business district that the city is hoping to develop in conjunction with relocation of the Interstate 40 Crosstown0 Expressway.

"This will be a real catalyst for Core to Shore,” Cornett said. "With Core to Shore involving a lot of housing, all these people who will work there will need a place to live.”

The project also will affect The Underground, downtown's pedestrian tunnel system, and the Myriad Gardens.

Nichols said he wants to tie the tower to the tunnel system, even if by skywalk, and also wants a connection to the Myriad Gardens across from the site being pursued for the tower.

Devon Energy last contributed $250,000 to overhaul the gardens' water stage so that it could become the new home to Shakespeare in the Park. With the new tower, Nichols wants to step up that support.

"The Myriad Gardens is a greatly under-utilized facility in Oklahoma City that most people don't see and don't use,” Nichols said. "By putting this building there, we would like to figure out a way to enhance the Myriad Gardens ... I see us and the city and the Myriad Gardens working together to significantly upgrade the public usage of the Myriad Gardens and to help our building be a bridge between Oklahoma City and the Myriad Gardens.”

The Devon Tower announcement follows weeks of successful campaigning by Cornett to convince voters to support a sales tax to raise $120 million to renovate Ford Center, build a practice arena for an NBA team, and step up his hometown's profile as a world class city.

"This is exactly what we're trying to create,” Cornett said. "This hits on every measure.”

Pete
03-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Momentum best describes downtown, energy industry
By Jack Money
Business Writer

Momentum.

There's a good word to describe Oklahoma's oil and natural gas industry.

It also works as a way to describe what is happening downtown, especially with Devon Energy Corp.'s announcement Wednesday of a downtown headquarters that will add to Oklahoma City's skyline.

The uniqueness of the word isn't lost on Brett Hamm, president of Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. "What better to reflect the energy and momentum of downtown besides energy companies in Oklahoma City?” he asked.

Devon Energy, of course, has been part of downtown Oklahoma City for decades — indeed, oil and natural gas companies have been part of downtown's fabric since the beginning. Some companies such as Devon stuck it out downtown through the bad times and are flourishing now in the strong energy climate.

Today, there are perhaps as many as 100 or more such businesses — most small, but some medium-size and some huge — in offices downtown.

Devon Energy isn't the only company experiencing phenomenal growth because of the bustling oil and natural gas business.

Quest Resource Corp. moved its 60 employees downtown in November after running out of room in an office building near Britton Road and May Avenue.

Quest is growing, so, "We needed more office space,” said Jack Collins, Quest's executive vice president of investor relations.

Today, Quest is in the Oklahoma Tower, and occupies offices on its 25th, 26th and 27th floors.

Simons Petroleum brought its 150 employees downtown in December.

"We looked at a lot of different places,” said Roger Simons, chairman of the company and vice chairman of Maxum Petroleum.

"We wanted to make sure it was the right deal, the right location, and the best environment for our employees,” Simons said. The company chose the 17th and 18th floors in Oklahoma Tower.

Another rapidly-growing company making downtown its new home is SandRidge Energy Inc. About 400 of its employees are either already in or on their way to the former Kerr-McGee tower, another landmark building downtown.

Tom Ward, chairman and chief executive, said a growing enthusiasm about downtown convinced him to make the move instead of building an office campus in north Oklahoma City.

"Downtown has changed dramatically,” he said, explaining the move. "It's much more vibrant, and there are so many things to do.”

Midtowner
03-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Excellent.

SouthsideSooner
03-12-2008, 11:35 PM
News just doesn't get much better than this.

Truly historic....:congrats:

Pete
03-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Nichols said Devon has yet to hire an architectural firm, though there have been "extensive conversations" with a potential candidate.

Any guesses as to who this might be?

Do any OKC firms even have experience with skyscrapers?

CCOKC
03-12-2008, 11:36 PM
This is exciting on so many levels. Hurray for Larry Nichols and his vision for OKC.
I think he truly has the citizens of OKC in mind when making his decisions for his company. If I ever had this much money I would hope to be as good of a citizen as he has seemed to be. I know the other Oil and Gas Companies around the country will notice this move as well. Look for more companies to move not just downtown but from other cities to OKC.

Steve
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Pete, FSB partnered with a national firm to design Kerr McGee Tower way back when. Don't be surprised if a similar arrangement is made for Devon Tower, where a local and a national are picked.

Pete
03-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Good point, Steve.

And Nichols being so civic-minded, you know a local firm will be in the mix.

But which one??

soonerguru
03-13-2008, 12:07 AM
This is outstanding news.

Interestingly, this was rumored here on this site months ago. Of course, what an amazing fact that is considering we're such conspiracy theorists who don't know anything that's really happening downtown. Right Steve? *snark*

Pete
03-13-2008, 12:19 AM
When the Sonics relocation is finalized (just a matter of time now, IMO) I wonder if some of the big players there like Jeff Records (MidFirst) and Bill Cameron (American Fidelity) might move their operations downtown.

Certainly, Devon will be vacating a good chunk of space plus perhaps First National Center will be up to snuff soon, too.

I have the feeling a downtown address will soon be fashionable again.

OKCisOK4me
03-13-2008, 02:37 AM
I can rest well now...:bedtime:

This is frickin awesome. Downtown Ford will be gone by the time this is built so they shant have to worry about altering their logo!

okctvnewsguy
03-13-2008, 02:47 AM
I'm really excited about the new tower, I'm across the street from the construction site, but I'm willing to deal with some noise in the name of progress! Plus it will be cool to watch the entire phase of the building. I should setup a webcam when construction starts.

BoulderSooner
03-13-2008, 03:04 AM
what great news for okc .. what a good few months this has been.

Doug Loudenback
03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
I don't know how this might relate to the number of stories in Devon's new structure, but Tulsa's One Williams Center at 52 stories is either 770,000 square feet ... see Trizec Exits Tulsa with Sale of 770,000-Square-Foot Williams Center; Trizec Continues to Execute Investment Strategy to Recycle Capital from Non-Core Markets. | Banking & Finance > Financial Markets & Investing from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/banking-finance/financial-markets-investing/5194047-1.html) ... or 1,373,733 square feet ... Williams Center Tower, Tulsa, OK. Office Leasing by the McKoy Company (http://www.mckoycompany.com/williams_center_tower.htm) ... I don't know which (if either) is true ... probably the latter since LoopNet - Williams Center, Office Building, Tulsa, OK (http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/ProfileSE.aspx?LID=14850307&linkcode=10850&sourcecode=1lww2t006a00001) also shows it at 1,373,730 square feet. However, the larger number may include both Williams Center I and II, I don't know.

By comparison in Okc, Downtown Now, Commercial (http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=82&categoryid=0&currentpage=2) shows Okc's Chase Tower as 514,642 square feet. According to Downtown Now, Commercial (http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=82&categoryid=0&currentpage=3) , Okc's Oklahoma Tower is 568,960 square feet.

It sure as heck will be exciting to see Devon's 1,000,000 square foot tower rise to the sky!

BFizzy
03-13-2008, 07:05 AM
Any guesses as to who this might be?

Do any OKC firms even have experience with skyscrapers?

I know the Benham Group has been involved with this.

metro
03-13-2008, 07:45 AM
This is excellent news and glad to hear this is actually and finally happening!!!!!! I'm ecstatic. Any architecture/design/building experts in here know how long it might take before we see any dirt moving? I think it will be vital for OKC to get this project rolling before some larger conglomerate eats Devon out in a buyup and moves it to Houston. I know Nichols won't move Devon, but Luke Corbett of Kerr McGee said the same thing. A new tower will shoe them in OKC for the long-term.

I am kind of boggled that Larry Nichols would make such a huge announcement and not be further along in his plans or have some sort of rendering though.

bombermwc
03-13-2008, 07:49 AM
You know what I can't wait for....to see the crane on the worksite edging it's way up the tower as everyone that drives by sees it. I'll get to watch it everyday on my way to work!

JLCinOKC
03-13-2008, 08:13 AM
Why limit it to the tallest in Oklahoma City??? Why not the tallest in OKLAHOMA? The Williams tower in Tulsa is 52 stories and 203.3 meters while the Cityplex is 60 stories but only 197.5 meters high.

jbrown84
03-13-2008, 08:29 AM
It very well could be tallest in the state.

What a GREAT surprise this was when I logged into newsok this morning. I wasn't expecting it so soon.

I'm really excited to see it start going up. Also, I'm glad Nichols wants to upgrade the Gardens, and we won't even have to pay for it!

"This is exactly what we're trying to create,” Cornett said. "This hits on every measure.”

And that's not just spin. I guarantee you if it weren't for MAPS and other investments we've made downtown, Devon would be moving out to Memorial if it hadn't already gone to Houston.

betts
03-13-2008, 08:34 AM
When the Sonics relocation is finalized (just a matter of time now, IMO) I wonder if some of the big players there like Jeff Records (MidFirst) and Bill Cameron (American Fidelity) might move their operations downtown.

Certainly, Devon will be vacating a good chunk of space plus perhaps First National Center will be up to snuff soon, too.

I have the feeling a downtown address will soon be fashionable again.

I'd heard Bill Cameron was looking at moving downtown a few months ago. Hopefully all the ongoing excitement downtown will make that a greater possibility.

jbrown84
03-13-2008, 08:39 AM
I can definitely see American Fidelity or MidFirst taking up Mid-America Tower. Although I'm not sure that would be any bigger than the space those companies are already in.

JWil
03-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Okay, so, it's early and I prolly missed it... but where will this tower be located exactly?

Doug Loudenback
03-13-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm having trouble identifying exactly where the "footprint" of this building will be ... maybe I missed that in the articles but I couldn't find it. Anyone know?

(on edit: HA! We posted the same query at the same time!)

Pete
03-13-2008, 08:46 AM
It will be interesting to see how Devon Tower will tie into the Underground, since Nichols said this was a priority.

They could either build a skybridge to Corporate / Oklahoma Tower or a new tunnel eastward to the Sheraton or Cox Center.

The latter might be preferable as it would offer a more direct connection to their current building, which they may need if they continue to grow.

eataroundokc.com
03-13-2008, 08:47 AM
This is very exciting news. Momentum is a good word for our city.

soonerkev
03-13-2008, 08:52 AM
I'm having trouble identifying exactly where the "footprint" of this building will be ... maybe I missed that in the articles but I couldn't find it. Anyone know?

(on edit: HA! We posted the same query at the same time!)

The plan is to build it where the Galleria Parking Garage is, which is just north of the Myriad Gardens and right to the south of the new Library.

Pete
03-13-2008, 08:54 AM
They don't say exactly where on the Galleria parking deck, but I'm assuming it's toward the corner of Hudson & Sheridan, especially since Nichols said they will likely need to add to the west part of the new parking structure:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/devon1.jpg

Pete
03-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Also, Nichols talks about a "large atrium unlike anything else in the state", so perhaps that will require most the footprint left on the deck -- or at least the western half.

jbrown84
03-13-2008, 09:12 AM
This is what I would hope for.

http://a471.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/103/l_5c4734dba53a33b90ead28ca25abfcde.jpg

Yellow is the building footprint (much larger than Chase or OK Tower)

I would like to see Festival Plaza and the trees along the street (in green) be kept.

The red is the never-finished tunnel entrance that has escalators that go down to the Myriad Gardens tunnels. This always intrigued me. It's completely overgrown and fortunately not very noticeable unless you're exploring the area. Obviously it was intended to connect to the Galleria shopping center that never happened.

Pete
03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Here's a couple ideas of how the building might connect to the Underground (show in red).

Nichols said in one of the articles there was the beginnings of a connection from the Galleria lot to the Myriad Gardens:

http://www.pc78.com/images/okctalk/underground3.jpg

Laramie
03-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Oklahoma City will be looking more and more like a major league city!

jbrown84
03-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Connecting to IRS makes the most sense, because the area that would have to be ripped up is just parking lot/garage that's going to be coming out anyway. Actually it's already dug out because it's a below-ground garage.

OU Adonis
03-13-2008, 09:18 AM
This is what I would hope for.

http://a471.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/103/l_5c4734dba53a33b90ead28ca25abfcde.jpg

Yellow is the building footprint (much larger than Chase or OK Tower)

Any idea how big that footprint is? I am curious to see how many stories that would be with a footprint that size.

jbrown84
03-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Well that's about half the block in width, and a third in depth. Looks like it would be about the footprint of the entire FNC. Of course, it's not going to be a rectangle of glass and being iconic. It will probably step back multiple times.

stlokc
03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
I admit to having been worried in the past about what a new Devon Tower would do to the rest of the downtown office market. But I find myself highly charged by this announcement and the monentum it is sure to create. By the looks of the above map, it would appear that the tower will be just far enough to the west of Oklahoma Tower that it will be a distinctive addition to the skyline when looking from due north or south, instead of being directly behind an existing building. I think that is neat because it will "lengthen" the skyline. Just by way of comparison, my building, Metropolitan Square, in St. Louis, is over 1 million square feet, and is 42 stories. I don't know how the floorplates compare to this new tower, however. Way to go Devon and Larry Nichols!

Pete
03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Using Google Earth, I determined the area jb shows in yellow to be about 350 feet east-west and 250 north-south, so 87,500 sq. ft. footprint.

That's taking the dimensions to the limits of that parcel, even though there will be set-back from the street.

Pete
03-13-2008, 09:27 AM
it will be a distinctive addition to the skyline when looking from due north or south, instead of being directly behind an existing building. I think that is neat because it will "lengthen" the skyline.

I was thinking the same thing. Also, it's a little further south than any of the taller structures, so it will lengthen the skyline from an eastern or western perspective as well.

The way the buildings line up has always been one of the best things about out skyline and this tower will only enhance this aspect.

BDP
03-13-2008, 09:36 AM
This will be fun to watch. I love watching things like this being built.

I know that everyone wants to have the tallest, but I actually like the word 'iconic' more so than tall. If it's the tallest, so be it, but I would certainly hate to compromise design for height. Maybe both can be achieved, but I really like the fact that Nichols is stressing the overall aesthetic more than just the vertical.

If they do achieve an iconic design, I think downtown will look very cool from the south with the FNC admirably representing the past and the Devon tower pointing to the future.

And if they do build on that location, I think it will go a long way to connecting east and west sides of downtown without spreading it out at all. As it is now that parking lot kind of feels like a barrier. This will give much better flow and continuity down Sheridan from the CBD and convention area into the arts district.

jbrown84
03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Here's some "iconic towers" from Google images:

http://propdubai.com/images/news/2007/01/news_877_61.jpg

http://www.immo-news.net/photo/561171-685082.jpg

http://www.skpropertiesabroad.co.uk/files/Dubai/SmartHeights1.bmp

http://www.thedubailife.com/images/oval%20tower.jpg

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3936/trumphoteldubaing7.jpg

http://www.kuwaittimes.net/upload/img_pict/friday11753d5.jpg

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9076/usersutilisateurdesktopune145ah9.jpg

http://www.zilbert.com/marina_blue/images/p2.jpg

http://www.reardonsmith.com/projects/imgs/ghyis1.jpg

The last two are my favorites.

Pete
03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
By the way, "iconic" buildings tend to have smaller floorplates than big, rectangular boxes.

I'm sure all those buildings shown have well less than 20,000 square feet per floor which means that if Devon went that route, they'd need quite a tall building (or one with a very large base) to achieve the desired 1 million sq. ft.

redland
03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the images JBrown and I hope Devon opts for something as bold as these. I agree with you about the last two, and think I would choose the last one (though I doubt Devon will be seeking my opinion). At any rate, this a great day for all us who value the development of Oklahoma City into not just a "big league" city but a "world class" one.

sgt. pepper
03-13-2008, 10:31 AM
OKC builds an arena, Tulsa builds an arena....OKC updates and expands our airport, Tulsa expands and updates thiers...OKC gets a strech of highway, Tulsa gets a strech of highway...OKC builds a dowtown ballpark, Tulsa wants a downtown ballpark. OKC getting a new skyscrapper, I guess Tulsa will get a new skyscraper. it's obvious who the leader in the Oklahoma is. This is great news, Devon is not going to Houston. Hopefully the Core to Shore project is not a pipe dream.

OKCisOK4me
03-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't know how this might relate to the number of stories in Devon's new structure, but Tulsa's One Williams Center at 52 stories is either 770,000 square feet ... see Trizec Exits Tulsa with Sale of 770,000-Square-Foot Williams Center; Trizec Continues to Execute Investment Strategy to Recycle Capital from Non-Core Markets. | Banking & Finance > Financial Markets & Investing from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/banking-finance/financial-markets-investing/5194047-1.html) ... or 1,373,733 square feet ... Williams Center Tower, Tulsa, OK. Office Leasing by the McKoy Company (http://www.mckoycompany.com/williams_center_tower.htm) ... I don't know which (if either) is true ... probably the latter since LoopNet - Williams Center, Office Building, Tulsa, OK (http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/ProfileSE.aspx?LID=14850307&linkcode=10850&sourcecode=1lww2t006a00001) also shows it at 1,373,730 square feet. However, the larger number may include both Williams Center I and II, I don't know.

By comparison in Okc, Downtown Now, Commercial (http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=82&categoryid=0&currentpage=2) shows Okc's Chase Tower as 514,642 square feet. According to Downtown Now, Commercial (http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=82&categoryid=0&currentpage=3) , Okc's Oklahoma Tower is 568,960 square feet.

It sure as heck will be exciting to see Devon's 1,000,000 square foot tower rise to the sky!

By these numbers that would put Oklahoma Tower @ 18,353 sq. ft. average & Chase Tower @ 14,296 sq. ft. average per floors. If you were to average these two buildings out you'd get 16,325 which rounds out at about 61 stories for a new tall.

If the footprint were to be as big as JB set it at then I would hope that the building would angle out to smaller floor sizes as it goes higher and higher, otherwise you're looking at 11 stories. So I say that footprint goes.

I look for this building to be exactly what I figure above. Somewhere right in the middle of our two current biggest. Can't wait to see what's in store!!

sgt. pepper
03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
Now we can expect Tulsa to build a tower, can't leave them out.

Pete
03-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Another point of comparison is that big, boxy One Williams Center in Tulsa (the state's tallest) is about 22,000 sq. ft. per floor.

Also, the tallest building in Dallas -- BofA Plaza -- averages 26,000 sq. ft. per floor. That's just a massive building, though.

okclee
03-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Does this annoucement come if the NBA / Ford center March 4 vote was a "NO"??

I don't think so, I believe once again that the people of Okc that believe in the future of downtown with MAPs 1,2, and "MAPs for millionaires" are the driving force behind this announcement and the future announcements that will follow this.

To borrow another members quote, "continue the renaissance".

brianinok
03-13-2008, 11:07 AM
This is excellent news. I am out of town; have the local news stations been covering it? Have any said anything in addition to Steve's articles, or has he pretty much covered it? It certainly appears he's done a good job covering it.

Pete
03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
It seems Steve has all the news and the local stations are just repeating what he's reported.

And Steve was also the first person in the press to hint at this development some time ago.

okclee
03-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I believe that I read that the building should be completed in four years. Devon hoped to get approval from the Urban Committee in the next few months as well as have an architect selected.

If so then 2012 would be the time of Grand Opening, and the new crosstown I-40 has the same 2012 completion date. Just in time to officially kick off C2S.

This is very exciting news, many of us younger crowd have never witnessed a skyscraper being build in Okc.

Doug Loudenback
03-13-2008, 11:35 AM
I think that Steve got an exclusive!

Here's the rendering in this morning's Oklahoman, as to location ...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/DougLoudenback/devon_tower/devonfootprint.jpg

I took some pics of the area from Myriad Gardens this morning and am working on a blog post as we speak. I'm going to try to superimpose the shell of a building in the area, but it will be amateurish at best, and not knowing the eventual height of the building or its actual footprint. I'll post pics again later with or without the "model" superimposed in the space.

AFCM
03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Great! I think the math was already done somewhere on here for a pad that size. Great news!

Swake2
03-13-2008, 11:40 AM

Congratulations on the new tower, I really hope they choose a good architect, don't be afraid to go outside of Oklahoma and please, please don't go with Benham.

The BOK tower (formerly known as One Williams Center) is 52 floors and 1.2 million square feet, not including the former mall at the base. I think the mall (which is now just all office space) is another 500-600,000 square feet. Williams owns all of this still. The article you are referencing is talking about the same of the Williams Center Tower I and Williams Center Tower II buildings, they are across the street from the BOK tower and are the angular black buildings.

Cityplex in south Tulsa is actually 60 floors but is not as tall as BOK, all three buildings of Cityplex are 2.2 million square feet. The First Place Tower in Tulsa is 41 floors and the Midcon Tower is 36. I don't know how big they are though for comparison, I would guess they are each well under the 1 million square feet planned for your tower.

I would not be surprised at all to have George Kaiser build his own "BOK Tower". One that is not actually the owned by and the headquarters of another company (Williams). BOK owns a full block of land right next to the BOK Center, my guess is that will someday be the new headquarters of BOK. Oklahoma's largest company is the privately held Semgroup, and they might also want their own tower as well someday, they are currently located at Warren Place in south Tulsa. Oneok is also growing and might want to finish their building at some point. That building was started as a 60 floor tower taller than the BOK, but was capped off at 16 floors.