View Full Version : Broadway Extension/Memorial Rd.

OKCisOK4me
03-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, here's good news depending on how you look at it:

AWARDED: CALL ORDER: 480
PROJECT NO.:NHY-024N(004) J.P. NUMBER:1727104 BAMS NO: 080093 CALENDAR DAYS ALLOTTED: 540
COUNTY: OKLAHOMA HIGHWAY NO.: US-77 LENGTH: 1.5060 KILOMETERS
DESCRIPTION : GRADE, DRAIN, SURFACE AND BRIDGE
LOCATION : US-77: (BROADWAY EXTENSION) AT MEMORIAL ROAD INTERCHANGE.
CONTRACT AMOUNT : $ 27,947,058.47 CONTRACTOR : ALLEN CONTRACTING, INC./MUSKOGEE BRIDGE

(Info courtesy of ODOT website)

Judging by that amount, I'd have to imagine that this is going to be the contract that includes putting Kelly Ave. underneath Broadway Extension. This was awarded on March 3rd, 2008. Has anyone noticed any work started? I go to Boulevard Bowl on Tuesdays, but I take the Kilpatrick to Eastern--where, speaking of, they need to put stoplights at and two left turn lanes!

Pete
03-12-2008, 06:57 PM
I was in Edmond last week and took Kelly all the way south to where it ties in with Broadway Extension and I didn't notice any construction whatsoever.

OKCisOK4me
07-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Well, here it is:

Courtesy of kfor.com.

Broadway Extension/Memorial Road construction begins Monday (http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=8692315&nav=menu99_2_6)

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Broadway Extension reaches another milestone as construction begins on the highly anticipated highway interchange at Memorial Road and Kelly Avenue near Edmond.

The project is the next phase of Broadway Extension/I-44 corridor reconstruction and includes realigning the interchange, widening Broadway Extension and reconstructing ramps and frontage roads at Kelly Avenue and Memorial Road.

It is scheduled to be complete in late 2009. The $30 million project was awarded to Allen Contracting and Muskogee Bridge Company by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission.

Schedule (Subject to change)

Beginning Monday, July 21, motorists can expect several closures at the Broadway Extension and Memorial Road interchange:

Broadway Extension: two lanes in each direction between 122nd St. and Memorial Road;
Memorial Road: one lane in each direction at the Broadway Extension interchange;
Closed: northbound Broadway Extension off-ramp to westbound Memorial Road; and
Closed: northbound Broadway Extension on-ramp from Memorial Road.

Features of the project, including addition of a dedicated off-ramp from northbound Broadway Extension to northbound Kelly Avenue, are designed to accommodate the area's rapid growth and increased traffic volumes. Reconstruction will realign Kelly Avenue into a continuous street, minimize traffic tie-ups and increase the carrying capacity of the corridor.

With 65,000 cars per day, drivers in the area are urged to find an alternate route as construction crews mobilize. Because the corridor is narrow, space around the work zone is limited. Motorists are asked to use extreme caution when driving near construction crews.

Speed limits will be reduced to 45 miles an hour with lower speed limits in transition as necessary. Drivers are asked to heed warning signs, slow down and be aware of work crews.

Throughout construction, all businesses in the corridor will remain accessible. Signs directing traffic to these locations will be in place. If traveling through the interchange, drivers are asked to allow extra time and are reminded traffic fines double in work zones.

Message boards are located in advance of construction areas and provide real-time traffic conditions. Daily travel advisories, including detours, will be issued before future closures affect traffic. To avoid congested areas, Edmond and northwest Oklahoma City commuters should consider using alternate routes.

Detour and alternate routes include:
Alternate routes: I-35 (east); Lake Hefner Parkway (west)
East and westbound traffic: 33rd St. in Edmond; 122nd St. in OKC (route could change)
North and southbound traffic: Santa Fe Ave.; Eastern Ave.

In hopes of minimizing driver inconvenience, ODOT has included contract incentives to reduce the number of days construction affects motorists. The incentive also includes penalties should construction continue longer than the contract allows.

Additionally, construction on the Broadway Extension corridor's previous phase at 36th St. in Oklahoma City is scheduled to be complete in the next few months.

Daily traffic advisories detailing temporary road closures can be found on the ODOT Web site at Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us).

For additional information or schedule/route changes visit Oklahoma Dept. of Transportation (http://www.okladot.state.ok.us)

All I gotta say is, have fun Edmond residents!

hipsterdoofus
07-17-2008, 09:14 PM
I've been enjoying my quiet ride up santa fe...now all the people who took broadway before are going to join me...all I can say is, I hope that they hurry up and put stop lights up at the 122nd /broadway extension interchange...it needs them already.

okcdeveloper
07-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I was backed up about half a mile to the east traveling westbound this morning! fun stuff.

bretthexum
07-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Yeah - watch out for the cops coming north into Edmond... its at 35 mph and I saw 2 guys get pulled over yesterday. They were doing at least 50 or 60.... that's a nice cheap ticket in a work zone. Idiots...

Chefdavies
07-29-2008, 01:42 PM
brett, i second that, everyday since monday I have recieved the "number one" hand wave for slowing down to 35 coming back into edmond. I'll be d*mned if i'm going to get tagged going 50 in a construction zone, double fines....no thanks....but please hurry up on the construction 60 - 35 is a pain...

hipsterdoofus
07-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Yes, you guys keep driving on broadway and leave Santa Fe for me...I can drive 50 there hehe

FFLady
07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Broadway hasn't been too bad - yet.....

hipsterdoofus
07-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Kinda wish they'd waited til 36th was finished before they did this...thats all people want to do is drive out of one construction zone and into another.

OKCDrummer77
07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
I've only been that way 2 or 3 times since the construction started. Each time, I was the only one to slow down all the way to 35. Didn't see any cops, either. I'm sure I was really popular then! (not)

OKCisOK4me
08-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Kinda wish they'd waited til 36th was finished before they did this...thats all people want to do is drive out of one construction zone and into another.

Get used to it. Either shortly before of just after they wrap up this construction they'll probably start on the 50th Street interchange before then starting on the I-44 interchange as the last go around for I-235. I hope they go ahead and just construct the connector ramp for the flyover (south to west) while they're working the 50th Street interchange. That's how it is down at 620/183 interchange down in Austin. The ramps are there, just waiting to be connected to. Learn something ODOT!

hipsterdoofus
08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Learn something ODOT!

hahaha you are kidding right? I think their motto is to just do things like they've always done them.

hipsterdoofus
09-09-2008, 11:09 AM
So now that everyone else has decided to take 122nd, makes me wonder why they didn't bother to put up traffic lights. Whole area is turning into a mess with people turning from lanes that aren't turn lanes! grrr

jsibelius
09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
hahaha you are kidding right? I think their motto is to just do things like they've always done them.

That's a governmental mantra. If you've ever worked for the government in any capacity, you know what I mean. "Change is the enemy."

bretthexum
09-09-2008, 04:03 PM
This was a cluster F this afternoon. A semi ran off the road and got stuck on memorial eastbound turning south on bway. Guess Kelly is closing on Fri also...

OKC4me
09-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Yip, its a big mess.

I get ticked off driving home at 1am from work and having to slow down to 35 mph. Other cars fly by me going 60. I waiting for them to get a ticket, but it hasn't happened yet. I think 35 is waaaay to slow.

hipsterdoofus
09-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Yip, its a big mess.

I get ticked off driving home at 1am from work and having to slow down to 35 mph. Other cars fly by me going 60. I waiting for them to get a ticket, but it hasn't happened yet. I think 35 is waaaay to slow.

Yeah..I can see 45 but 35 just looks like they are trying to find a way to issue tickets. I went through there yesterday for the first time in awhile and it was pretty silly.