View Full Version : Ellen Calls Sally Kern

Karried
03-12-2008, 08:12 AM
omg... Ellen just played the entire YouTube video and is not trying to call Sally Kern. User mailbox is full.

I could die.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Is Ellen pissed?

Decious
03-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Sad. This will pass but it can be assumed that a great number of people will remember this crap for a looooong time.

For a bunch of people, this s*** is the first thing that will come to mind when Oklahoma is mentioned. There is no denying that.

Even if Sally feels that her comments were taken out of context, she should at least have the humility to explain them. For God's sake, she's a public representative.

The weirdest thing is that Sally probably thinks that this backlash is an assault by the devil. She's probably asking people to pray for her that she remain strong against these attacks. Weak. I'm praying that she gains wisdom and learns God's heart instead of memorizing the dogma that men erected around the thought of Him. When she was studying "the word" she must have skipped the part about loving everyone and overlooked the passage that reads "death and life are in the power of the tongue." Does she honestly feel that she's speaking life to anyone? Does she feel like she's spreading love to anyone? I doubt it.

She must have some kinda ego. Pretty easy to live you own head.

soonerguru
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
One wonders about the depth of her "faith." It seems pretty weak to me. The lady doesn't seem to get the Sermon on the Mount, that's for sure.

Also, is it just me or do you doubt what she said about the "death threats" in the "hate mail" she received? Sounds like a straight up lie to me, a clear Biblical transgression.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
The newsok article quotes someone at OSBI saying that if it just says something along the lines of "I hope you die" as opposed to "I'm going to kill you", then it's not a death threat and amounts to nothing legally. I would be surprised if there's anything more than that.

Karried
03-12-2008, 10:51 AM
Refusing to apologize is the worst.

Again, I'm relieved some of the focus is shifted to Spitzer, but I agree.... people will always associate Oklahoma being afraid of Gay Terrorists and their Agenda according to Sally Kern. heavy sigh.

OKCTalker
03-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Ellen Degeneres is not the person most people go to for guideance, and this isn't the thing by which most people will judge Oklahomans. But there will always be others.

okctvnewsguy
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
The newsok article quotes someone at OSBI saying that if it just says something along the lines of "I hope you die" as opposed to "I'm going to kill you", then it's not a death threat and amounts to nothing legally. I would be surprised if there's anything more than that.

I read the emails that were sent to Kern, and they were some hate filled writings. The stuff you have seen on TV is the stuff we can show. There are death threats in the stack of emails, and the OSBI has opened an investigation.

OSBI Opens Investigation: KOCO (http://www.koco.com/news/15568400/detail.html)

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Well that's too bad. Those people are no better than her.

okclee
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
The threats could be from Extreme Islamic Terrorists groups that are mad because she said that homosexuals are more of a threat then they are. If I were a terrorist I would be insulted too.

okctvnewsguy
03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Well that's too bad. Those people are no better than her.
The people that send that stuff, are only making her point...

I hope that Sally reads this...

Im sure Sally Kern, that you were basing your speach on Leviticus 18:22.

I have a couple of questions for you Sally since you are such a Bible scholar.

My Dad wanted to sell my youngest sister into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She’s a Yale Grad,
speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Father insists on working on the Sabbath.
Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself? Or is it okay to call the police?

Here’s one that’s really important, because we’ve got a lot of sports fans in this town.
Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves,
can the Sooners still play football? Can OSU? Can the Highschools? Does the whole town
really have to be together to stone my brother Bill for planting different crops side by side?
Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads?
Think about those questions, would you?

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 12:17 PM
The threats could be from Extreme Islamic Terrorists groups that are mad because she said that homosexuals are more of a threat then they are. If I were a terrorist I would be insulted too.

hahaha

kmf563
03-12-2008, 12:19 PM
i think i love you okctvnewsguy.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Apparently this

http://shopping.beloblog.com/archives/lance%20bass.jpg

is more evil than this

http://www.geocities.com/psychodramata_2001/mcveigh222.jpg

Did I get that right, Sally?

RoboNerd
03-12-2008, 12:22 PM
You forgot the football team wears cotton underwear and synthetic jerseys. Wearing two different fabrics is forbidden as well, punishable by stoning.

metro
03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
I think it's safe to say, Sally Kern will have a hard time getting re-elected. Anyone know her district and where it is? When is she up for re-election?

okclee
03-12-2008, 12:30 PM
I don't know , but I thought I read on here that it is near Southern Nazarene Univ.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 12:31 PM
The thing is, she ran on this platform. Her district is home to Windsor Hills Baptist Church, a fundamentalist (not Southern) Baptist church that doesn't allow women to wear pants. They are the ones that stand on the corners in that part of town literally Bible thumping.

Caboose
03-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Apparently this

http://shopping.beloblog.com/archives/lance%20bass.jpg

is more evil than this

http://www.geocities.com/psychodramata_2001/mcveigh222.jpg

Did I get that right, Sally?

I dont know, we have been hearing that George Bush is a worse terrorist than Osama Bin Laden for about 5 years now. I haven't seen any outrage over it. I would wager that a large portion of the people upset about Kern's comments have made worse comments about Bush. The expectancy of tolerance, tact, and reason seems a one way street.

metro
03-12-2008, 12:46 PM
You bring up good points Caboose.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Well George Bush is responsible for sending hundreds of soldiers to die in Iraq.

When's the last time someone being gay caused another person to DIE??

Karried
03-12-2008, 12:52 PM
Bush / Iraq - 3984

Deaths to be exact...( we were posting at the same time.)

Osama - World Trade Center: 2974

Gays: ???

Doug Loudenback
03-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Well, actually ... if you venture down to New Orleans, you might need to watch out for an attack by the New Orleans Cross dressers ... USATODAY.com - Thieving divas hit Big Easy boutiques (http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-07-09-new-orleans-thieves_x.htm) .... just kidding! :dizzy:

venture
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
I also get a kick of the various extremists. Which they are...in that their views are truly hardcore compared to the norm. Here is my take on this...

Quoting the Bible for hate is getting old. Old Testiment by the Jews was too hardcore and mean for Christians, so along came the New Testiment. Both books, either way, are written by man. They have been rewritten over and over and over again and I don't two Bibles have exactly the same meaning (or translations).

I take the Old Testiment as a book of stories used to get people to get back into shape. It was written around what... 1100 and 100 BC. More than likely people were acting like fools and needed some structure and guideance in their lives. This book provided that backed up with stories of a vengeful God.

The New Testiment is the happier, more loving guidelines. The OT outlined punishments for people eating this, and doing that. The NT started to layout that we really just need to treat others with respect, love, and forgiveness. IOW, stop throwing the stones at the person, pick them off the ground and try to help them be a better person.

Whenever people get into these hardcore hate situations about damning a certain group of people to hell, they always go back on the OT...even though most common era Christians follow the NT. I was raised Catholic and attended schools were I was taught by nuns, priests, and Jesuits...they always made sure that the message of caring and being open minded prevailed. The dangerous people are those with blind faith that do as their told and can't think for themselves.

Ms. Kern is one of those that has her faith, but may need to be reminded about the caring part of the NT that supports Christianity. Everyone falls and stumbles, this is hers...just like the other people with jaded views of hate and intolerance. Does this mean that her beliefs about gay people are wrong? Not neccesarily. She needs to focus more on disliking the "sin", and caring about the "sinners." It is a big world out there, and I hate to tell ya - just because you believe in this one line of religious thinking - doesn't mean you are right. The Creator, whoever you believe it is, is not one that is going to discount billions of people.

Heck for all we know...there is no afterlife, or there is more to the story and what we believe is totally flawed. Maybe our "spirit" just keeps coming back every 90 years until our job on this rock is done. Or maybe there just isn't any spirit there at all, and we really are just another species of animal. We'll never know until it's too late to ask questions.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 02:31 PM
A letter to Mrs. Kern from an OKC high school student:

Rep Kern:

On April 19, 1995, in Oklahoma City a terrorist detonated a bomb that killed my mother and 167 others. 19 children died that day. Had I not had the chicken pox that day, the body count would've likely have included one more. Over 800 other Oklahomans were injured that day and many of those still suffer through their permanent wounds.

That terrorist was neither a homosexual or was he involved in Islam. He was an extremist Christian forcing his views through a body count. He held his beliefs and made those who didn't live up to them pay with their lives.

As you were not a resident of Oklahoma on that day, it could be explained why you so carelessly chose words saying that the homosexual agenda is worst than terrorism. I can most certainly tell you through my own experience that is not true. I am sure there are many people in your voting district that laid a loved one to death after the terrorist attack on Oklahoma City. I kind of doubt you'll find one of them that will agree with you.

I was five years old when my mother died. I remember what a beautiful, wise, and remarkable woman she was. I miss her. Your harsh words and misguided beliefs brought me to tears, because you told me that my mother's killer was a better person than a group of people that are seeking safety and tolerance for themselves.

As someone left motherless and victimized by terrorists, I say to you very clearly you are absolutely wrong.

You represent a district in Oklahoma City and you very coldly express a lack of love, sympathy or understanding for what they've been through. Can I ask if you might have chosen wiser words were you a real Oklahoman that was here to share the suffering with Oklahoma City? Might your heart be a bit less cold had you been around to see the small bodies of children being pulled out of rubble and carried away by weeping firemen?

I've spent 12 years in Oklahoma public schools and never once have I had anyone try to force a gay agenda on me. I have seen, however, many gay students beat up and there's never a day in school that has went by when I haven't heard the word **** slung at someone. I've been called gay slurs many times and they hurt and I am not even gay so I can just imagine how a real gay person feels. You were a school teacher and you have seen those things too. How could you care so little about the suffering of some of your students?

Let me tell you the result of your words in my school. Every openly gay and suspected gay in the school were having to walk together Monday for protection. They looked scared. They've already experienced enough hate and now your words gave other students even more motivation to sneer at them and call them names. Afterall, you are a teacher and a lawmaker, many young people have taken your words to heart. That happens when you assume a role of responsibility in your community. I seriously think before this week ends that some kids here will be going home bruised and bloody because of what you said.

I wish you could've met my mom. Maybe she could've guided you in how a real Christian should be acting and speaking.

I have not had a mother for nearly 13 years now and wonder if there were fewer people like you around, people with more love and tolerance in their hearts instead of strife, if my mom would be here to watch me graduate from high school this spring. Now she won't be there. So I'll be packing my things and leaving Oklahoma to go to college elsewhere and one day be a writer and I have no intentions to ever return here. I have no doubt that people like you will incite crazy people to build more bombs and kill more people again. I don't want to be here for that. I just can't go through that again.

You may just see me as a kid, but let me try to teach you something. The old saying is sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will never hurt you. Well, your words hurt me. Your words disrespected the memory of my mom. Your words can cause others to pick up sticks and stones and hurt others.

Sincerely

Tucker

I am just APPALLED that she refuses to apologize.

venture
03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Great great letter. Thanks for posting it jb. :)

Doug Loudenback
03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Very very good. Where did you find it, JBrown ... on the internet, letters to the Oklahoman editor?

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
It was posted to some blogs, and supposedly was obtained from some of our local media, but I can't find that to confirm.

mheaton76
03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Doug, I believe it was originally posted on the Victory Fund's web site, here:

LGBT Community | Gay Politics | Gay Political Candidates - The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund (http://www.victoryfund.org)

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

Pete
03-12-2008, 03:00 PM
As absurd as her comments were and as embarrassing to our city and state as they may be, I think this could mark a little turning point in some ways.

That a public official could make those comments and not be censured or even offer an apology amounts to pretty much the last straw in the religious right's hostility towards gays and lesbians. What Kern said is what many of the extremists in that movement think and it's high time there was a public discussion about this matter.

They've simply gone too far. This is no longer about marriage or health benefits... It's about hatred and paranoia and quite frankly, out-right delusion.

It's time for republicans to officially distance themselves from these zealots and it's craziness like this that might finally force that issue.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I think you're right Pete. Look at the Rep. nominee for president. The far right is losing ground.

sethsrott
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
I think it's safe to say, Sally Kern will have a hard time getting re-elected.

Nope not in Sally's district they will probability nominate her for sainthood!

Millie
03-12-2008, 04:13 PM
I don't understand the comments about the whole state having to be embarrassed and ashamed because of the comments. I, for one, feel no different about NY than I did this time last week. Do any of you honestly look down on them b/c of Spitzer's actions?

rwood8
03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Excellent.

The people that send that stuff, are only making her point...

I hope that Sally reads this...

Im sure Sally Kern, that you were basing your speach on Leviticus 18:22.

I have a couple of questions for you Sally since you are such a Bible scholar.

My Dad wanted to sell my youngest sister into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She’s a Yale Grad,
speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be?

While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Father insists on working on the Sabbath.
Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself? Or is it okay to call the police?

Here’s one that’s really important, because we’ve got a lot of sports fans in this town.
Touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves,
can the Sooners still play football? Can OSU? Can the Highschools? Does the whole town
really have to be together to stone my brother Bill for planting different crops side by side?
Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads?
Think about those questions, would you?

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
I thought in America we want everyone to speak up?
Well, she spoke up.

jbrown84
03-12-2008, 04:17 PM
Exactly. And she can't expect to say such things without upsetting a lot of people.

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-12-2008, 04:18 PM
And I don't look down on New York because of Spitzer.
I look down on New York because of other things.

wsucougz
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Meh.

soonerguru
03-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Mayor Cornett made some "distinguished" comments similar in nature to Kern's? Not as wacky, but still anti-gay? Didn't Kirk Humphries make antigay comments? Haven't all of the "moderate" middle of the road conservatives? I don't see how the Repubs can separate themselves from this, as it is their new "Southern Strategy," just like their wink-wink, nudge-nudge against Civil Rights in the 60s. If the GOP loses the South, it is officially over as a party, as the South is really its final bastion of popular support.

jbrown84
03-13-2008, 08:41 AM
There's a difference between saying you disagree with that lifestyle and saying something that equates those people with terrorrists.

BDP
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM
I thought in America we want everyone to speak up?
Well, she spoke up.

And now people here are speaking up. That's how it works. What's the problem?

bretthexum
03-13-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow... her comments are the 7th most viewed video on youtube today.

soonergal
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
i have a question why does everyone think everyone has to believe the same thing...lot of tolerance missing for someone that may not believe the same way the majority does on here? guess that is why lot of people don't post, if you aren't exactly pc you get blasted and are somehow "unamerician"...geeze...

kevinpate
03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
soonergal, pick any issue, not just the Kern comments issue.

You'll generally find that folks on either side of an issue are more accommodating, and often far more accommodating, toward those who share their specific view than they are toward those who do not.

It's not a conservative/liberal thing. It's not a on issue X thang. It's not an XX or XY thing. It's not a nature v. nurture thaing. It's some quark way down the life chain deep in our core molecular structure. And for those who doubt this view, phffffffffft :)

jbrown84
03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
i have a question why does everyone think everyone has to believe the same thing...lot of tolerance missing for someone that may not believe the same way the majority does on here? guess that is why lot of people don't post, if you aren't exactly pc you get blasted and are somehow "unamerician"...geeze...

No, what you will find is that we only welcome (on this board and in the public sphere) people who express their opinions with respect and dignity and intelligence. That is why Steve Hunt was banned here twice, and that is why the majority here are appalled by Mrs. Kern's statements.

Karried
03-14-2008, 08:25 AM
No, what you will find is that we only welcome (on this board and in the public sphere) people who express their opinions with respect and dignity and intelligence.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

OKCTalker
03-14-2008, 08:26 AM
There are 49 other options for residency in the U.S. Oklahoma isn't perfect and I'm happily working to improve things here, but it's better than any of the other options I've experienced.

Midtowner
03-14-2008, 09:25 AM

I can only speak for myself.

The views I have expressed re: Kern and others' remarks have been decidedly negative. I believe some of the words I have used have included "hate-mongerer," "idiot," "moron," you get the picture.

The reason I express myself as strongly as I do regarding what she said and regarding those who have expressed their unqualified agreement with the "Honorable" Representative Kern actually has little to do with her being a homophobe. That alone I can live with. My church, and just about anyone's church these days will tell you that homosexuality is a sin. Do I think my pastor is an "idiot" for expressing this viewpoint? Absolutely not. Do I disagree? Absolutely.

So how is/are my pastor (or most reasonable clergymen) different from the "Honorable" Sally Kern? Reasonable, thinking, non-hate-filled, non-moronic people do not think that homosexuality is a worse threat to this nation than terrorism or a religion we don't agree with.

For starters, terrorism, unless you live under a rock, which if you agree with the "Honorable Kern," I do not rule out, is a really, really bad thing. You may recall a bunch of zealots flying some planes into a couple of buildings in New York, and that Pentagon building in D.C. You may recall that those guys killed a lot of our citizens and made countless others sick/widowed/injured/orphaned, etc. You may recall that those same terrorists are responsible for killing around 5,000 (so far) of our young men and women over in Afghanistan and Iraq and maiming some 30,000 more, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of their own countrymen they've butchered. Despite all of this evidence of the fact that these terrorism-inclined folks want to kill us, maybe even enjoy it, the "Honorable" Kern and her disciples conclude that homosexuals are worse than terrorists.

To me, the "Honorable" Kern and company are making an argument which is about as dumb and demonstrably false as it can possibly be. The only reasonable response any thinking person can possibly make is "No, idiot, you are wrong." This isn't intolerance, it's an affinity for the truth and justice, and a general dislike of people who are against those things.

Then there's the Islam comment. That Islam is a threat to this nation. For whatever reason, this part of her little diatribe isn't getting much play (damn that gay agenda!). There again is something which is demonstrably false. Muslims are really no different than you or I other than their religious beliefs. Muslims do not as a rule believe that killing Christians is going to get them to heaven faster. Muslims make up a very productive portion of the OKC community. To say their religion is a threat to America is akin to saying that Protestantism or Catholicism are a threat. It's just, for lack of a better adjective, a dumb assertion.

Sally Kern, you are an idiot. Her adherents are also idiots. I don't hate you people, I just think you are a bunch of anti-intellectual, unthinking, bigoted buffoons. This is not something we can agree to disagree on. Your words do hurt people. Your freedom of speech comes at the expense that people are free to respond to you. Don't like the response? Don't open your mouth.

brian
03-14-2008, 08:52 PM
How does Sally Kern get away with wearing grandma school teacher clothes to the state floor?

Patrick
03-14-2008, 10:54 PM
I think Kern should've been able to express her distaste for homosexuality. That's her first amendment right. And to the others, there's a whole chapter in Romans in the New Testament that spells out how homosexuality is perverse and sinful.

BUT, to equate homosexuality to terrorism is flat out wrong. It's hate, and shouldn't be tolerated. Calling homosexuals terrorists is not loving the sinner.

redland
03-15-2008, 05:37 AM
I think Kern should've been able to express her distaste for homosexuality. That's her first amendment right. And to the others, there's a whole chapter in Romans in the New Testament that spells out how homosexuality is perverse and sinful.

Yes, and Deuteronomy tells us that we should not go near a woman having her period, we should not eat shell fish, we should stone adulterers to death, and many other perverse behavioral rules. I wonder how many of these you and Sally observe. Maybe you could go to Deuteronomy and compile a list for us.

bandnerd
03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Um, I thought that religious beliefs were supposed to be kept out of government? Am I totally off-base here?

Equality of all men? And women? Didn't we already go through this with women, and African Americans? And Native Americans? And other "inferior" or wrong groups of people?

Patrick
03-15-2008, 08:59 AM
I think homosexuals should be treated equally.

mheaton76
03-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you for standing up for us, Patrick - perhaps the conservative/fundamentalist bile needs to be fully aired before we can move past it. Not sure.

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

bandnerd
03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Patrick--

If you feel that homosexuals should be treated equally, then why is it okay to allow a State Representative to go on a rant like this? Replace every time she says "Gay" with "African American" and you bet she'd be considered a racist. It shouldn't be different.

Oh, but since black people don't "choose" to be black, therefore they are protected. But gay people "choose" that lifestyle, according to you.

Karried
03-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Reasons to Choose to Become Gay

1) To become rejected by society.
2) To have multiple groups against myself.
3) To raise risks of being physically harmed.
4) To raise risks of being mentally harmed.
5) To have less rights in the states.
6) To risk losing family support.
7) To risk losing friends.
8) To risk losing chances at good jobs.
9) To get flamed for being a flamer.
10) To be a large target for rude jokes.
11) To be described as animals to others.
12) To be talked about as things among the law.
13) To raise my chance of being lead toward suicide.
14) To lose my chance at a rightful marriage.
15) To hide myself from everyone else.
16)Risk being called an abomination by my church who will abandon me
17)I will be called names like "***got", "queer", and "pervert".

Who wouldn't choose to be gay?!

With a list like this, who would "choose" to be gay or lesbian? The answer is no one.

That is because no one chooses his or her sexuality. I didn't "choose" to be straight.

This is for parents who are faced with a teen or a child who is struggling:

"I hope you can find it in your heart to be compassionate toward your child. They've had an unfathomable burden placed upon their undeserving shoulders. They long for your love and acceptance, not your condemnation, for they have heaped self-hate upon themselves for long enough. And if you can't give them your acceptance at this stage, that's OK too, but don't deny them your love "