View Full Version : IHOP coming to Bricktown

Patrick
12-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Well, downtownguy had already let us know that IHOP was coing to Bricktown, but we weren't too sure on the site. Here's the answer: 401 E. California, in te old restaurant supply building next to the Coca Cola Events Center. IHOP wil be the first tenant of the new Bricktown Marketplace. IHOP will take up much of the 1st floor. Boy, the pic looks impressive. It's definitely an urban IHOP. For once, someone got it right. I'm elated. This is way better than a suburban style IHOP next to the gasoline station.

--------
http://www.journalrecord.com/APTImages/OKC_60587.jpg

"IHOP comes to Bricktown
by Heidi R. Centrella
The Journal Record
12/9/2004

Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruities are making their way to Bricktown, complete with pancakes, bacon and eggs.
Bricktown Urban Design Committee gave the go-ahead on Wednesday to remove the steel windows at the future site of Bricktown Marketplace, an empty warehouse at 401 E. California Ave., to begin repairs on the building.

This decision paves the way for an IHOP to move into the neighborhood.

Franchise owner Wes Salous said the $1.5 million construction project needs to begin by late January to be completed by May. The planned 5,000-square-foot restaurant will seat more than 200.

Once renovated, the 40,000-square-foot building east of Joe Carter Boulevard will provide additional restaurant and office space on the second floor and a portion of the first floor.

Changes to the building will create what project architect Larry Stubblefield described as an IHOP image, complete with the company's signature blue sign on the corner tower.

Stubblefield said IHOP corporate officials offer latitude on the color of the awnings and the blue roof, but would like to stay as close as possible to the corporate image.

Since no pole signage is allowed, having the blue color and towers are important elements because they reflect that image, according to Al Sahil, who purchased the building in September for $1.35 million.

"If you drive by any IHOP, you can tell it's an IHOP," he said. "And this should look the same."

Sahil said he already has talked with business owners in various locations, including one in Kansas City, who have expressed an interest in relocating next to IHOP.

"We've been working on IHOP for about seven months now, trying to get this done," Sahil said. "And hopefully we'll get it done now.

Sahil last month purchased the parking lot directly north of the property. IHOP customers will not be charged to park in the lot, however other Bricktown visitors may be charged.

The empty warehouse has structural problems and is in need of much repair. Concrete columns and beams have suffered water damage. After repairing the concrete, a stucco finish will cover the columns, Stubblefield said.

Plans for the building include constructing corner and west-side towers with metal roofs, replacing windows, constructing handicap ramps, raising the parapet with a layered cap and adding awnings.

While some discussion revolved around the towers and old Bricktown versus new Bricktown, committee members showed no resistance to the design concept. But Sahil will have to go before the committee again for approval to build a proposed second tower on the building.

"One of the unique things about the particular building is it is either the last or almost the last brick building heading east after you pass Joe Carter," Stubblefield said. "This is a brick building and we recognize that it is a part of Bricktown.

"In the spirit of Bricktown, what we're attempting to do is to take that old warehouse and create something that is back in the mainstream," Stubblefield said, "something that would generate revenue and still stay within the flavor of Bricktown."

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
12-09-2004, 01:40 AM
IHOP's overrated...now, if they put a Denny's in with competent people working, then that would be something

floater
12-09-2004, 07:49 AM
My two conditions were met: that it be a 24 hours operation, and that brick be the prominent exterior, or in an existing warehouse. You said it, Patrick, somebody got it right. I hope the second floor windors remain multipane, and it would have been nice to have green awnings instead of blue. But still, it's chain that fits.

Midtowner
12-09-2004, 07:53 AM
I'm against any chains moving into Bricktown, period.

This is unfortunate. But I guess it gives you a place to go sober up before trying to drive home. :D

Nuclear_2525
12-09-2004, 08:07 AM
I agree...I don't think any more chains should be let in to Bricktown. OH WELL. At least the building doesn't look like a chain building.

mranderson
12-09-2004, 08:09 AM
Every area similar to Bricktown has chain stores.

I have been to many like Bricktown which include Gharidelli Square in San Francisco, Jack London Square in Oakland (among the first like it), and others. They ALL have chains. Jack London Square is even the home to KRON-TV.

So, We are no different.

floater
12-09-2004, 08:38 AM
I have an opposition to chains too, guys, but look at the metro. How many 24-hour establishments are there? And that are independently run? In this case, a chain is filling an important void. Bricktown needed a 24-hour place that serves breakfast.

At least they were willing to compromise some on the design. If I was on the commission, I would have pushed for multipane windows on the first floor and green awnings and tower -- especially since IHOP desperately wanted to locate here. Or demanded that "Bricktown" appear underneath the IHOP logo.

It was said in the Oklahoman's report that single pane windows were chosen to save the operator some cleaning costs. But I don't think he'll have to worry about revenue. This IHOP will do boffo business.

Luke
12-09-2004, 09:18 AM
I'll bet the Deep Deucers will appreciate that.

floater
12-09-2004, 09:38 AM
I'll bet the Deep Deucers will appreciate that.

Indeed.

BG918
12-09-2004, 02:20 PM
This will be on the street right? The design is a pretty good compromise, much better than some of the other designs they've been approving down there lately. Please tell me parking will be at the back or in a side lot, no more gigantic parking lots in Bricktown!

floater
12-09-2004, 02:37 PM
It sounds like it will be in that building next to centerfield of the Bricktown Ballpark, on the other side of Joe Carter in the former Restaurant Supply Building. As I recall, the lot north of it is a small one on Sheridan. Does this sound right, gang?

wally
12-09-2004, 09:40 PM
The Design itself looks cool, it will match in with the atmosphere. I think if it wasn't for the chain restraunts, that many people just won't try anytinhg else.

Luke
12-09-2004, 10:37 PM
Sadly, wally, I think you're right.

Patrick
12-12-2004, 11:13 PM
It sounds like it will be in that building next to centerfield of the Bricktown Ballpark, on the other side of Joe Carter in the former Restaurant Supply Building. As I recall, the lot north of it is a small one on Sheridan. Does this sound right, gang?

Yeah floater...you're right on....they'll be using the small lot to the north of the building....and it is the old Restaurant Supply Building, right next to the Coca Cola Events Center. The IHOP will be on the southwest corner facing the ballpark.

I would've preferred a local restaurant too, but there aren't too many decent local restaurants that are open 24 hours and serve breakfast food. The only one I can hink of is Madison's Pancake House on NW Expressway and Independence. But local breakfast places like that probably couldn't afford this renovation. The guy that's financing these renovations is local and owns several other franchises in town.

I'm just happy we're getting a 24 hour breakfast restaurant, and I'm happy it's not gonig to be your typical suburb-style IHOP. I have no problem with chains moving in, as long as they adapt to the Bricktown theme. San Antonio downtown has many chains......so does downtown New York...but they fit into the local building which are already there.

metro
05-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Construction seems to be coming along nicely. Gutting seems about complete and new walls and windows seem to be going in. New pics from last week in my gallery:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/204/cat/500

mranderson
05-16-2005, 10:02 AM
This will be a welcome addition to Bricktown. Had it been open, I probably would have stopped for coffee after the RedHawks game.

Doug Loudenback
05-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Looks good to me, too! As far as nay-sayers about chains in Bricktown, I wonder how many "chains" are there that we'd not want ... Hooters? Harkins Cinema? The neat ice cream store next to the Harkins? Sonic? etc. etc. etc.

Doug

NewPlains
05-16-2005, 10:50 AM
I think putting a 24 hour diner in bricktown near all of the clubs and venues there is nothing short of a brilliant business move. That place is going to do some major overnight business.

Luke
05-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Judging by the pics you posted, I think their May opening date was a little optimistic.

metro
05-16-2005, 11:06 PM
Well, their construction plans got delayed in design stages with whomever is in charge of design standards for Bricktown, otherwise they may have been opened by this month. I'm glad it got delayed however and more Brick and original elements will be incorporated although not as much as I think should have been.

BG918
05-16-2005, 11:48 PM
^ The Bricktown design committee is too lax IMO. They need to be stricter with regards to what can and cannot be built, even if it means some businesses can't come into Bricktown. Higher standards ALWAYS pay off in the long run...

HKG_Flyer1
05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
This is great news. A well-capitalized IHOP with interesting design should bring a lot more traffic to Bricktown, especially late night and early morning.

As an aside, has anyone noticed the new McDonald's on May Avenue, north of 63rd Street? It is one of the most upscale-looking McDonald's I've seen anywhere (stone facade, etc.).