View Full Version : New Coaster Coming to Frontier City

Pages : [1] 2

Taggart
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
So work has begun on the new coaster project coming to Frontier City. If you drive by, you'll see that the swings, bathrooms, and tomahawk base were bulldozed to make room for a new coaster. There are now billboards outside the park with the tag-line "This summer, the bottom drops out."

It's rumored that the coaster is a family-style suspended like this one: Jimmy Neutron's Atomic Flyer (Movie Park Germany) (http://www.rcdb.com/ig3675.htm?picture=12)

According to what I hear, there's also a lot more in store for the next 3 years since PARC Management bought the park from Six Flags. They're spending a large sum of money to re-invent the park.

Personally, I say we'll see what happens, but I guess any improvement to the place is still a step forward.

SouthsideSooner
03-09-2008, 08:39 PM
It's great that they're spending some money on the place but the pictures of the rollercoaster are pretty disappointing.

Taggart
03-09-2008, 08:53 PM
True. But the point is not to put in a huge mega-thriller but something that everyone in the family could enjoy together. You have to admit, for a small family ride, a suspended is pretty cool.

Even though I'm a thrill junkie, I think it's great that they're focusing on family-based entertainment.

It seems that all Six Flags ever did was create a poor babysitting service for rude teens.

SouthsideSooner
03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with you on the family aspect.

I just love great rollercoasters and have ridden some great ones.

SWOKC 4 me
03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Does anyone know if Friontier City owns the land around the current park. I believe most of it is a very wooded area if I remember right from the last time I was there, but there seemed to be a lot of land behind the park. Would there be any chance they could expand in the future or is there room?

venture
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
The suspended coasters are always fun, at least I enjoy them. Granted if it is a "family" type ride...its obviously not going to be anything like the Raptor at Cedar Point. :)

kevinpate
03-10-2008, 05:09 AM
I enjoyed the place on trips to OKC as a lad. my kiddos enjoyed the park in their younger days. Perhaps, in a few years, I'll be able to let my granddaughter enjoy the park as well. I like that idea, but if not, there will be other places to go and play as she wears Poppa down to the bone. :)

Jesseda
03-10-2008, 06:35 AM
yes froniter city has land across the street on coltrain (i think thats the roads name, rumor was they where going to put the parking lot on that piece of land and use the existing parking lot to add to the inside park itself

jbrown84
03-10-2008, 10:00 AM
I had seen the billboards and the clearing of that area of the park. Thanks for the info.

Taggart
03-10-2008, 10:54 AM
The lot behind the park across from Coltrane is used for large storage. They have hundreds of un-used rides and such for parts. This was mostly left behind by Six Flags.

Apparently from what I hear, almost every ride will be re-painted this year as this is Frontier City's 50th anniversary.

venture
03-10-2008, 11:07 AM
This site has a good deal of info on it...
Frontier City Thrills.com l "An Official Fan Site" l (http://frontiercitythrills.com/)

MrBojangles
03-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Well they better get started PDQ, if want all the rides painted before opening date, March 29th.

Patrick
03-10-2008, 08:12 PM
A full sized roller coaster called Excalibur, that Premier Parks purchased from Six Flags Astroworld, used to be in parts on the empty land west of the park. There was talk that they'd reassemble the full rollercoaster, but that never happened. They've sold it off in parts, and used other parts at other parks.

Taggart
03-10-2008, 09:18 PM
True about Excalibur. It was supposed to be installed at Frontier City in 2002 but it wasn't removed carefully enough from Astroworld and was in too bad of shape to be rebuilt.

So apparently Frontier City is spending a good deal of cash this year on improving the food and shops. That has always been my complaint about the place.

Thunder
06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
Is that exactly what it looks like in the pictures or similar?

Can someone post pictures of the new one?

It looks scary with the steel poles everywhere.

I could lose my legs at the end of the ride...

Overall, I am disappointed in the size being smaller than Silver Bullet.

What happened to the Nightmare? I think it was torn down. What goes there?

OKCMallen
06-06-2008, 09:08 AM
New is good. Those swings were lame, and the Tomahawk was always breaking down....

Thunder
06-06-2008, 03:16 PM
What did they do to the swings?

Tomahawk was always working when I went there a lot. If it was always breaking down, Six Flags would have left it.

OKCMallen
06-06-2008, 03:22 PM
I worked there, and it was always breaking down.

Thunder
06-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Interesting...

Okay, so it was always breaking down, but Six Flag decided to take it and not take the working Silver Bullet. LoL

Architect2010
06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
This reminds me...The junior class for next year at Southeast High (c/o 2010) is working at frontier city tomorrow. Its to raise money for prom next year. All the juniors work from 4 to 10 tomorrow and all the money we earn goes to our Junior class account. We also work the 21st from 9 to 11. I'll be working tomorrow. So if you don't want horrible service from a group of kids that don't have any clue at what they're doing...then don't come. lol

jbrown84
06-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Okay, so it was always breaking down, but Six Flag decided to take it and not take the working Silver Bullet. LoL

Six Flags didn't take it. It was still here until 4 or 5 months ago--well after the point when PARC Management took FC over from Six Flags.

Taggart
06-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Tomahawk suffered a major and irreperable breakdown last year when the gear box shattered and sent chunks of metal and oil everywhere. It was deemed that the ride was un-reliable so Six Flags removed it before they sold the park.

Yes, the new coaster ended up being the Vekoma Family Suspended like the one I linked to above. It is designed for families, not thrill seekers, so it will be moderately slow and short.

The swings will be rebuilt for next year's season.

solitude
06-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Tomahawk suffered a major and irreperable breakdown last year when the gear box shattered and sent chunks of metal and oil everywhere. It was deemed that the ride was un-reliable so Six Flags removed it before they sold the park.

Yes, the new coaster ended up being the Vekoma Family Suspended like the one I linked to above. It is designed for families, not thrill seekers, so it will be moderately slow and short.

The swings will be rebuilt for next year's season.

Do you work for PARC? If so - keep up the good job! I've been impressed with the way they've handled Frontier City. The website and fan website are great touches. I especially, as an OKC history buff, love the history of Frontier City PARC put together. If anyone is interested in reading it, it's at the "official" fan website for Frontier City and can be read here:
The History of Frontier City! (http://www.frontiercitythrills.com/history.html)

Thunder
06-08-2008, 09:47 AM
The official Frontier city site needs a lot of improvement. There is still a major lack of info and pix of rides and attractions.

dalelakin
06-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Steel Lasso Construction :: #1 Source for News and Rumors (http://frontiercity411.webnode.com/steel-lasso-construction/)
That site has some pictures of the new coaster.

Thunder yes both the WWB and FC sites could use some improvements. Especially from a pictures of the attractions stand point. I am not sure what platform they are running the sites from but it is SLOW to load and I am on cable.

Taggart
06-08-2008, 04:50 PM
No. I don't work for PARC. I do work in theme design though, and I have a lot of connections with FC.

Thunder
06-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Taggart, you by any chance know what is in store for next year? Any new record-breaking roller coaster within next few years? They pretty much have to start on the early stages by now.

venture
06-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Record breaking at Frontier City is a pipe dream. This isn't Cedar Point or one of the major Six Flags parks. I would be happy if they just filled out their number of rides to help increase traffic first.

jbrown84
06-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Well it could break Oklahoma records easily... ;)

Taggart
06-09-2008, 03:31 PM
No record breakers, but PARC did make a deal with Zamperla rides where new prototype rides will debut at the three PARC properties, including Frontier City.

Depending on how well this season does, you might see a few new things next year. The big question to be answered is what they're going to do with Nightmare.

Richard at Remax
06-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Cedar Point is amazing.

FC just needs one good ride. Something along the lines of the Joker or Titan. In this case, if you build it they def will come.

This is something where you can't wait to see what attendance numbers are for the year. It's in a good location along I-35 where people will want to come if there is something worthwhile to ride.

BTW, they are getting there but some of those motels around that area really make it look rundown in that part of the city.

kevinpate
06-09-2008, 03:41 PM
> make it look rundown

look?
:)

Thunder
06-09-2008, 05:05 PM
I think they should put in a new braking system. It is a good ride, not tall, but crazy sharp drop.

Karried
06-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Cedar Point is amazing.

FC just needs one good ride. Something along the lines of the Joker or Titan. In this case, if you build it they def will come.

You're not joking.. I drove 30 hours to ride the awesome rides at Cedar Point. I would absolutely love it if we had one, just one cool ride in OK.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Dragster or the Millenium.

This thread is making me frustrated... why can't OK even get a good freaking roller coaster? ugh.

Thunder
06-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Well, the idiots look at the big park and see more traffic there, so they set up major rides there. They don't even think about setting major rides here to gain traffic to the park. They look at past traffic record. Well, duh! More people are starting not to go to Frontier City, cuz there is nothing new.

Taggart
06-13-2008, 09:39 AM
I don't think that's the case with the new owners. I think it's a money issue. They just bought 4 theme parks and 3 water parks that were all in some sort of bad shape and are trying to improve them all at the same time. I'm sure if they could, they'd put in whatever was financially feasible that they could get a return profit on, but frankly, I don't think they have the money to put a 50 million dollar + coaster in every park.

But the reality is that Frontier City will never have the profit margin that Darien Lake, Elitch Gardens, or any of their other parks have, no matter how many people visit. From a business stance, it doesn't make sense to spend much more.

From what I can tell, their goal is to completely re-design Frontier City over the next 5 years, improve food, cost, and value. They will be getting new rides (actually NEW rides, a Frontier City first). It's not going to be treated like the ugly cousin of the Six Flags chain anymore.

To me that seems like a good deal, but my fear is that the Oklahoma City public can never be made happy no matter how much they try. All that will do is discourage PARC from trying to fix it up. Frontier City will never be a Six Flags or Disney and people need to understand that. We should just enjoy the fact that we're a small city with an actual theme park.

okiebadger
06-13-2008, 10:54 AM
You're not joking.. I drove 30 hours to ride the awesome rides at Cedar Point. I would absolutely love it if we had one, just one cool ride in OK.

I'm thinking along the lines of the Dragster or the Millenium.

This thread is making me frustrated... why can't OK even get a good freaking roller coaster? ugh.

Have you driven the Kilpatrick as it passes Yukon?

Thunder
06-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Could you be more specific, other than the things you had stated, on how they plan to completely redesign the park. Will they keep the western theme, or make it more modern to open the possiblities of having more modern rides?

What has been elminated and added so far?

I can understand the finanical part of having just bought several parks at once. They are in pretty deep debt right now, but they will be rewarded, because many of us will be seeing the improvements and they will recover from the debt.

Could you explain to us about the rides at the State Fair? Who owns them all? Is it invidually owned and operated, or is the whole operation under a management? The state? I've seen new rides, even fancy mega thrills, introduced at the State Fair. Who paid for it? Where the money come from?

I do have an idea, but I doubt it would even be considered. If PARC develops a space at Frontier City and make deals with whoever operates the State Fair to have one thrill ride (different each year) on the space from park opening till days before the State Fair. Will that ever be possible if PARC considers it?

Is the Round Up painted black/silver? I remember Six Flags still had Round Up in commercials being black, which was misleading.

Taggart
06-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Frontier City will keep the western theme. There is no limit to what rides - modern or not - that can be installed. Most can be given a theme.

Too much has changed to document here.

The state fair carnival is run by a company out of Florida called Wade Shows Inc. They own the rides and operate them. The state fair just pays them on contract to provide their services and rides.

PARC isn't connected with the State Fair or Wade Shows so I doubt they'd support their competition.

jbrown84
06-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Frontier City's western theme doesn't hold it back from "modern" rides. That's silly.

Fair rides travel the country and are taken down and moved from carnival to carnival. They have nothing to do with permanent theme parks like FC.

John
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
The Silver Bullet is actually a fair ride...

True story!

Taggart
06-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Very true. It's built by Anton Schwarzkopf, a German coaster designer who mainly made portable coasters for traveling fairs in Europe.

However, I don't think any of his coasters, including Silver Bullet, can be considered TYPICAL fair rides.

Thunder
06-15-2008, 08:49 PM
There is one ride at Frontier City that is not a western theme, the Mind Bender.

MrBojangles
06-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Well they either need to tear down those meth-infested motels around FC, sell land to FC let them expand to become a bigger park. A fews week ago they 50 cent entry fee, OMG traffic was parked every where, had northbound traffic on I-35 backed up to Wilshire.

Is it just me, when did today's kids get into KC and the Sunshine band, and why do they keep bringing them back every year? And why would that generation want to be hanging out kids of this generation? I bet if you polled 2000 kids at FC, none would know a KC song.

Jesseda
06-17-2008, 10:51 AM
I though frontier city was expanding since they own the last west of colltrane? That would be a great area to put some large coasters...

jbrown84
06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
KC and the Sunshine Band is clearly not playing for teenagers. It IS possible for adults to go to a theme park, you know.

Thunder
06-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Frontier City needs to hook up major bands. Wouldn't Oklahoma love to see Britney Spears? LOL

SOONER8693
06-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Drove by today on my way to Cushing for business. The new "spectacular" coaster is still under construction. Here it is June 20th, and the new ride is not yet up and operating. How can anyone take these people seriously?

Taggart
06-23-2008, 08:33 AM
^ I think statements like that are why most people think Oklahomans will never be happy about anything they have.

A coaster takes YEARS to plan, PARC just bought Frontier City in April of last year. They first had to move two rides and completely level the area. The coaster began construction in May and was structurally completed 2 weeks ago. Most coasters take 4 months minimum from start to finish. Frontier City originally stated that it would be open at the end of June in which it's still on schedule, even though we've had a very rainy May and June.

Other than that, PARC spent 6 million in capital investments in Frontier City, more than Six Flags Inc. EVER spent on the park in its entire history. They revamped food, structure, and added two new shows. They addressed the problem of Frontier City being a babysitting service for teens by adding a family coaster and family based attractions as well as by bringing in 3 Disney music artists.

Sounds like a lot to take seriously if you ask me.

Kerry
06-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I went to Wild Adventures in Valdosta, GA last month and they have several large coasters and they are 120 miles from the nearest population center (Jacksonville, FL). I was surprised by the size of the park and the number of rides they have. Blows FC out of the water. Why can a park like Wild Adventures exist in a corn field in Valdosta, GA and OKC has to settle for FC?

Taggart
06-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Because Wild Adventures thrives off of Disney World-bound traffic.

Thunder
06-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Could you explain capital investment, please?

Kerry
06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Because Wild Adventures thrives off of Disney World-bound traffic.

I am going to disagree with this statement. No one is stopping off at Wild Adventures for the day on their way to Disney World. Why would someone from Ohio spend a day and half driving down I-75 and then 3 hours before getting the little ones to Disney World stop at Wild Adventures? All of the license plates I saw were from Florida and Georgia. I am going back in a few weeks so I will keep a better eye out for tags.

Jesseda
06-23-2008, 12:03 PM
The last time I went to frontier city was about 4 years ago and I was so disappointed, when i entered the main gates those bears that sing in the gift shop one had its eye ripped out the other had a broken neck held together with duck tape, yes i am not making this up duck tape, the other one looked like its motor funtions was shot because all it could do was siezure. I told my little niece not to touch it because she would probably get electrocuted. Then the gift shops where old and dusty, the candy shop had stale out of date candy, a lot of the rides where in bad shape or broken down, and the park had a waste odor smell to it in a lot of areas. Six flaggs set frontier city back a decade and now that there is new owners and I have seen some great pictures and commericals on how it has changed, I am actually thinking of taking my little girl there..

Taggart
06-23-2008, 02:44 PM
I am going to disagree with this statement. No one is stopping off at Wild Adventures for the day on their way to Disney World. Why would someone from Ohio spend a day and half driving down I-75 and then 3 hours before getting the little ones to Disney World stop at Wild Adventures? All of the license plates I saw were from Florida and Georgia. I am going back in a few weeks so I will keep a better eye out for tags.

Florida locals do go up there, and that does make a part of attendance. I'm not saying it's completely national traffic that heads there, but many are from that region that are heading down to Orlando or Tampa.

centaurian
06-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I can hardly believe Frontier CIty is still open. I think the State Fair is 100 time better , a new rollercoater?> where. they barely have room for you to walk around the plce. This is an eye sore for okc, and i m glad its way up north near edmond. sad that travelers off I44 and I 35 have to see it, wondering if it s for real still open.
I ll save my money and go to six flags. Where there they have Real roller coaster.

Thunder
06-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Centaurian, give it time, under new management, I am sure the park will be greatly improved.

Taggart, do you know if the management is planning to do something about the water at the park? It is old, dirty, and smelly. What about the water splash at the end of the Wild Cat ride, will it be fixed?

jbrown84
06-23-2008, 08:00 PM
I can hardly believe Frontier CIty is still open. I think the State Fair is 100 time better , a new rollercoater?> where. they barely have room for you to walk around the plce. This is an eye sore for okc, and i m glad its way up north near edmond. sad that travelers off I44 and I 35 have to see it, wondering if it s for real still open.
I ll save my money and go to six flags. Where there they have Real roller coaster.

What a short-sighted statement.

Barely room to walk? What are you talking about?

EYESORE? How is it an eyesore? That is a ridiculous statement.

solitude
06-23-2008, 11:08 PM
What a short-sighted statement.

Barely room to walk? What are you talking about?

EYESORE? How is it an eyesore? That is a ridiculous statement.

Agreed.

Frontier City looks better than it has in years. On their blog they explain why they had to settle for a smaller "family coaster" this year but a thrill coaster is still planned. They are actually doing things right at the park. It's hardly an "eyesore."

Thunder
06-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Where is this blog?