View Full Version : Any good "Blues" clubs/bar in OKC?

MrBojangles
03-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Hello everyone! I am new to OKCtalk. Do any of you know of a good "Blues" club/bar?

Wish they had once in Bricktown.

FritterGirl
03-09-2008, 01:28 PM
I can't think of the name of the place. It's on 10th, between May and Penn, I believe. Less Chicago blues and more JRV style, as I recall.

It's called Danny's, or Donnie's, or something like that. Sorry I can't be more helpful. It's been a long, long time since I've been there, so don't recall the name.

Others might know what I'm talking about and be able to give you the name.

Dustbowl
03-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I can't think of the name of the place. It's on 10th, between May and Penn, I believe. Less Chicago blues and more JRV style, as I recall.

It's called Danny's, or Donnie's, or something like that. Sorry I can't be more helpful. It's been a long, long time since I've been there, so don't recall the name.

Others might know what I'm talking about and be able to give you the name.

I think you're talking about Danny's Blue Saloon. It's a fun place and lots of biker people hang there. PLEASE watch the cops on 10th St. They are out in force on weekends in this area. Don't drink and drive.

wsucougz
03-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Wish they had once in Bricktown.

Hate to give them any pub since they tried to shoot down Flaming Lips Alley, but The Biting Sow is a blues bar in bricktown.

MrBojangles
03-09-2008, 09:19 PM
It's been a while since I have been to Danny's. But I did hear it was becoming more of a biker bar. I also heard that Danny passed away, and his wife and daughter took over and it has been going down hill ever since. Did not know the Biting Sow was a "Blues" bar. Also heard that the UCO Jazz club has blues bands every now and then, anyone got confirmation?

FritterGirl
03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
You might check on the Jazz Lab's website The University of Central Oklahoma Jazz Lab (http://www.ucojazzlab.com), where they publish their schedules.

Some time ago for a work-related project I signed up to receive email notifications from the Oklahoma Blues Society. They send out LOTS of updates about upcoming concerts, artists, festivals, etc.

This might be a good way to keep in touch with the community.

I finally asked to stop receiving the emails (they were a bit prolific for my needs), but for any Blues enthusiast, this would be a great resource to keep up to date on local happenings.

Their website is: "GOT BLUES IF YOU WANT IT" (http://www.okblues.org)

kmf563
03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
As with any other musical genre in this town - you are better off finding the band you like and going where they go rather than trying to find a venue to cater to your musical tastes. It's just not going to happen.