View Full Version : Nic's Grill

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Dustbowl
03-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Located at 11th and Penn on the West side of Penn. Hole in the wall place with 3 tables and 8 counter seats. Sit at the counter if you can. THE best breakfast for the price in town. Nic does all the cooking and you watch him cook it. He turns to you and asks questions like: "how do those eggs look? and you want a little more burn on those hash browns? He always has a smile on his face and works hard to make your food just the way you like it.
Also, he has THE best burger in town. Same thing, you tell him and watch him cook it. He shows you the meat and asks how you want your curly fries done. Just can't beat it. He has specials every day and they are always fantastic. I will buy your burger if you can eat the double with fries. I've watched some big boys try it and they can't do it. No checks, he remembers what you had and quotes the price with tax from memory. He always thanks you for coming in and tells you to come back. As long as Nic is there, I will. Give it a try.

betts
03-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Is the restaurant open on the weekends? We usually go to the Classen Grill on Saturdays, but I'm always up to try something different. Sounds great.

Dustbowl
03-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Is the restaurant open on the weekends? We usually go to the Classen Grill on Saturdays, but I'm always up to try something different. Sounds great.

Yes, he is open on Saturday. At times there can be a wait. I just sit in the car and Nic waves me in when a stool comes open. Hope you try it.

dalelakin
03-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I agree it is probably the best burger I have had in OKC hands down. I had no idea he offered a double. I have a healthy appetite and there would be NO CHANCE of me eating a double I struggle with the single at times. Oh yea not sure where he gets them but the jalapenos he uses are some of the hottest I have ever had with a fantastic taste.

Dustbowl
03-09-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree it is probably the best burger I have had in OKC hands down. I had no idea he offered a double. I have a healthy appetite and there would be NO CHANCE of me eating a double I struggle with the single at times. Oh yea not sure where he gets them but the jalapenos he uses are some of the hottest I have ever had with a fantastic taste.

Knowing Nic he probably grows them himself. He lives right behind the grill to the West. Glad you enjoy this undiscovered piece of paradise.

kevinpate
03-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I'm thinking this place deserves a try, and soon. I presume this is NW 1tth and Penn rather than SW 11th and Penn?

dalelakin
03-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Yes NW, tiny tan building on the west side of Penn.

ad47aw
03-12-2008, 04:20 PM
Man, those burgers are the best! Be sure you're hungry, though!

mheaton76
03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Nice...I'll have to try it.

metro
11-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Okay, with all the talk about Nic's, please tell more about it, where it is and reviews of the place. I've lived here almost my entire life and am a foodie but haven't heard of this place.

JakeZula
11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
I've heard great things about Nic's. It's a tiny little building next to the guy's house on 11th and Penn. I hear it seats about 15, and the burgers are supposed to be the best in town. I was going to try it out for lunch last week, but when we showed up it was closed. Nic was outside, so we inquired about it... Seems some epileptic woman drove her car up into his lawn and busted his gas line to the restaurant. Hopefully it's fixed by now.

JakeZula
11-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Here's a full review:

Nic’s Grill: possibly the best burger joint in Oklahoma City | Oklahoma City Restaurants (http://www.eataroundokc.com/2008/nics-grill-possibly-the-best-burger-joint-in-oklahoma-city/)

metro
11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh, well in that case I do know about Nic's but have yet to eat there. Heard nothing but excellent though.

mattjank
11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Tried to go for the first time yesterday, but it was closed. Hope to try again soon.

lpecan
11-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Nic's is great. There are, however, different genres of burgers. Nic's is great because the burgers are huge, and they've mastered the greasy burger style. Buttered grilled buns. 10 burgers grilling in front of you, You smell like Nic's when you leave, catch my drift? Like I said, Nic's is great. But don't go expecting Irma's. Its different. I guess think of it like the ultimate diner burger, and bring cash.

BailJumper
11-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Haven't been there in awhile - but yes, it is VERY tasty. Fun, odd, LITTLE place in a rough part of the city.

Drake
11-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Tried to go for the first time yesterday, but it was closed. Hope to try again soon.

He is not always open, but for the most part if you are there on weekdays before 1 pm you are OK.

I think his sign says 2 pm closing, but when he gets tired or runs out of food he will turn the sign around.

Great hamburgers. His other stuff looks good too. But I cant get away from the burgers.

jstanthrnme
11-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Nic's was brought up in a conversation today, and the person I was speaking with said the omlettes are the best on the planet.

I'm anxious to try it.

Norman>Edmond
11-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Nic's is awesome, but I can only do it once every three months. This cannot be stressed enough: seating is limited! And if anyone watches "My Name Is Earl"...Crabman works at Nic's!

trousers
11-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Haven't been there in awhile - but yes, it is VERY tasty. Fun, odd, LITTLE place in a rough part of the city.
rough part of the city? must be from edmond.:biggrin:

BailJumper
11-22-2008, 10:46 AM
rough part of the city? must be from edmond.

You're kidding right? The 10-Penn area is VERY crime infested. Not an opinion - a fact.

FYI - ate lunch there the other day with some associates. Nic is still manning the grill and the burgers are still so big you need a fork. I'm going back next Friday for the meatloaf special.

jbrown84
11-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I really want to try this place. It's on my UrbanSpoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com) wish list.

angel27
11-22-2008, 05:53 PM
I wish I could agree. I really wanted to experience a good burger from Nics. But.. too greasy for me.

BailJumper
11-22-2008, 06:18 PM
I wish I could agree. I really wanted to experience a good burger from Nics. But.. too greasy for me.

It's an onion burger place. Who ever heard of a good dry onion burger?

dalelakin
11-23-2008, 09:43 AM

Did you get it to go?

I have made that mistake, it is not made to carry out and if you don't plan to eat there I would recommend saving your money as it will not be very desirable IMO.

angel27
11-23-2008, 05:58 PM
yes.. that may have been the problem. I'll give it another try then because I would really like to experience a good old-time cheeseburger. Thanks.

taylor83
11-24-2008, 06:57 AM
This sounds like a great place. I'll have to try it soon.

What about their fries? What are they like? I really can't have a hamburger without some good french fries.

BailJumper
11-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Fresh cut curly fries!

onthestrip
11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I've driven by this place and always wanted to stop but never have. I have driven by in the morning a few times and seen the closed sign showing yet people eating inside.
This place sounds like Sid's Diner in El Reno, has anyone been to both that can compare?

BailJumper
11-24-2008, 09:53 AM
I've been to both. Sid's is quite abit larger inside (though still a small place). Both have great burgers. I think Nic's are bigger though. Don't know if Marty is still the grill master at Sid's - but if so, you gotta stop in if passing through.

metro
11-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Well, I've now been to both as well. I had Nic's for lunch. Definitely worth it. I wouldn't want to eat in there since I don't desire to smell like an onion burger all day, so I called in my order. Large portions. I had a cheeseburger and fries for $6.50. When I got home with it, I thought it was a double cheeseburger, but then I remembered reading a few posts back that he doesn't do doubles AND that he doesn't smash down the patties. The burger was very generous size and the curly fries were perfect (just a little on the greasy side though). It very may well be the best onion burger I've ever had, at least the best I've had in a long time. I think the not smashing the burgers and leaving the burger moist makes all the difference in the world. Also, the mayo was fantastic and tasted a little different than most as well as the cheese tasted like real american cheese and not that fake oily kind like most places use. Will definitely be back soon. The place was surprisingly clean inside. Much cleaner than it looks on the outside and more than I was expecting.

Sid's is good as well, but different style. It's been years since I've been to the one in Yukon or El Reno, but I agree with BailJumper in that it's much bigger than Nic's (both the store and the burgers).

stickboy
11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Best burgers in town by far.. I make it a point of eating there once a week. If you are going to try it for lunch, I recommend getting there early, 11-11:15ish if you don't want to risk standing around and waiting for a seat.

And by all means, try jalepeno on your burger next time. He cuts them up fresh and throws them on the grill - much better than the pickled ones you get from most restaurants.

One of these days I'm going to have to make it in there for breakfast.

jbrown84
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Does he do burgers without onion?

BailJumper
11-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Does he do burgers without onion?

Any way you want'em.

Bostonfan
11-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, thought I'd stop in for breakfast this morning around 9:15. It was closed.

BailJumper
11-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Holiday week he may have closed. Also, many mornings the sign reads "closed" but he is actually open.

redcup
11-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Probably closed for Thanksgiving weekend. A lot of small family owned places do that.
Too bad....would have been a good day to try it as I am off!

tburn
12-18-2008, 01:55 PM
Nic's is featured in the latest issue of OKLAHOMA TODAY
(Jan/Feb 2009)

Great write-up!

metro
12-19-2008, 08:11 AM
Pretty good considering Oklahoma Today is more of a Tulsa magazine.

JakeZula
12-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I think you're thinking of Oklahoma Magazine. OK Today is OKC-based.

jbrown84
12-19-2008, 09:43 AM
Correct. Oklahoma Today is the official state magazine and covers all quadrants well.

Oklahoma Magazine is Tulsa based and has gotten better in recent months about including OKC-related articles, but the advertisers are all in Tulsa.

metro
12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Thanks for clarifying, although both have had more Tulsa area related content from my observation in issues I've read.

Cindie8696
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I haven't been to Nic's for a burger yet, but plan to go soon.

Does anybody have any recommendations on when to go? I'm sure it's always busy, but is it less busy at certain times?

Thanks!
Cindie

Edmond Earl
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Your best chance is to go at 10:30 and get in line. It can be a long wait on a hot day if you show up after 11 am.

Cindie8696
06-03-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Earl!

I'll be sure to get there early so I won't have to wait too long in this heat.

Can't wait!

onthestrip
06-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Pretty much what he said, any time before 11 am and you should be ok.

Bostonfan
06-06-2010, 06:54 AM
what about breakfast? Is there a good time?

onthestrip
06-06-2010, 05:22 PM
About anytime is good for breakfast. The earlier the better though. He changed recently and now stops breakfast at 10am.

BBatesokc
06-07-2010, 06:45 AM
I've eaten breakfast there many times and there is never a problem getting in and getting a table or seat at the bar. Tip: Ignore the 'Closed' sign, it often doesn't get turned around until lunch time. If you have breakfast, I recommend the omelette if you're really hungry.

As for lunch, most days you do have to get there by 11am and plan to wait. If you're going by yourself you can usually get a seat faster. If you have a group, don't plan on sitting together.

Personally, when I go for lunch I wait and take a late lunch and go after 1pm. Even then it can be very busy. Otherwise, I skip breakfast all together and go eat at Nic's at 10:45am.

Love the fact he now allows sharing of food (for a small charge). I personally love sharing meals with my wife as its cheaper and helps me keep the weight off. He used to not allow this.

Also, don't think you can call in a togo order to avoid the lunch rush. Often times Nic will take the phone off the hook at lunch.

Spartan
06-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Sounds like the Burger Nazi. I'll have to go sometime. Too bad it's in north OKC and I work in Norman..he's not open on weekends is he?

metro
06-07-2010, 12:41 PM
You haven't been to Nic's Nick? He might be the burger Nazi, but they sure are tasty, not to mention being on Diners, Drive-In's and Dives didn't help the line. Keep in mind, his place has like 4 or 5 seats.

BBatesokc
06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't think he's a 'burger Nazi' at all. The place is tiny and he has to maximize his profits from every table. He can't afford to have people taking up an entire table or stool just to split an order. He finally gave in and I think now charges $2.50 for sharing.

He takes the phone off the hook simply because he can't cook, clean, take orders and run the cash register and also worry about togo orders. He has one helper, but its still pretty much a one man show.

Steve
06-07-2010, 09:27 PM
"Nic" is NOT a burger Nazi. The restaurant, if I recall right, seats about 16 people including the counter.

Joe Kimball
06-07-2010, 11:17 PM
As noted, not EVEN a burger, um, "bad cop" or whatever you like that is on a lesser order than "Nazi" but still notorious.

He and his assistant are incredibly kind under an amazing amount of pressure, and very accommodating as well. I did not have an empty cup after being asked of my drink order once, upon many refills. There's no ban against mayonnaise (which, according to a friend who would know, still existed officially at Meers as of 2007). The man is talented and passes on a bit of his passion in every order. With all of this, one feels obligated to not wolf down, but perhaps not dawdle over that which they eat in order to make room for the next person in a place that seats---according to the Oklahoma Today article that ran in the Oklahoma City issue---15 persons. Maybe Nic added a seat since.

acumpton
06-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Okay. I'm sorry. What and where is Nic's? Reading your posts have really got me curious...and craving a cheeseburger.

Joe Kimball
06-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Nic's Grill is a small restaurant located at 1201 N. Pennsylvania Avenue.

Nic's Grill - Inner City Northside - Oklahoma City | Urbanspoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/501061/restaurant/Inner-City-Northside/Nics-Grill-Oklahoma-City)

Matt
06-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Sounds like the Burger Nazi.
Oh, rubbish. Nic's no Nazi. He suffers for his burgers. He demands perfection from himself, from his burgers. How can he tolerate any less from his customers?

Joe Kimball
06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
That does remind me. Has there ever been any, oh, encouragement to move along swiftly?

Bigrayok
06-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I have never seen Nic or Javon try to hurry people out the door. They recently removed one of the tables and added a small counter where it used to be with five chairs so the total number of seats is 18 now. There are 9 seats at the bar, 2 tables with 2 chairs and the 5 new seats. I think they have added a worker in the back room who does food prep so there are 3 people working there now.

If you go on a Monday or Tuesday after 1:00 p.m. you are likley to encounter a smaller crowd than other days and times. I went there yesterday at 1:20 and did not even have to wait to sit at the bar. I am amazed how Javon keeps track of the customers as they come in. He seems like a really bright guy. I found out recently he has a Masters Degree in Kinesiology and teaches a class at O.U. I always wondered if he had another job since he works at Nic's from about 10:30 to 2:00 or so. Nics has great burgers and is a fun place to eat if you are willing to do something different.

Bigray in Ok

metro
06-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks for clarifying, last time I went it was the bar seating only. Glad to hear they've expanded a few seats.