View Full Version : What to do to get a grocery store downtown.

Pages : [1] 2

okctvnewsguy
03-06-2008, 04:54 PM
I know this is a topic that has been discussed here many times, but I live downtown, I see other people downtown, and there is TONS of new construction downtown. What is the REAL possibility, and how can we get a grocery store interested in moving into downtown okc. I know we have the residential numbers to support it. There are enough people in the midtown and downtown area to support a store. I think it would be a perfect fit in one of the many new Banta developments along tenth, or in any of the new retail areas along walker. It could even be a bodega type store, catering to essentials like Milk, Bread, Eggs, minimal produce.

Dustbowl
03-06-2008, 05:05 PM
I know this is a topic that has been discussed here many times, but I live downtown, I see other people downtown, and there is TONS of new construction downtown. What is the REAL possibility, and how can we get a grocery store interested in moving into downtown okc. I know we have the residential numbers to support it. There are enough people in the midtown and downtown area to support a store. I think it would be a perfect fit in one of the many new Banta developments along tenth, or in any of the new retail areas along walker. It could even be a bodega type store, catering to essentials like Milk, Bread, Eggs, minimal produce.

Talk to Drew Braum. A Braum's Fresh Market would probably do well.

okctvnewsguy
03-06-2008, 05:08 PM
I think that is exactly what is needed some type of "mart" it would have high appeal as a restaurant, and the grocery side of it would do well for the downtown residents, the ideal location for it could be placed in bricktown to draw the after movie crowds, and the post Earls type crowds. The drive-thru (if they could manage) would appeal to the lunch-ers.

mecarr
03-06-2008, 05:50 PM
A downtown grocery store will eventually happen, it's just a matter of when. The Ford vote should provide some renewed interest in the idea. But yes, I desperately want one. Maybe we can start a petition among those who live in downtown\midtown and deliver that petition to some grocery store companies.

okctvnewsguy
03-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm all about it, when I first moved downtown, everyone said "Oh go to the homeland on classen... no thanks..." I think the time has come to put something in downtown proper, and If we can lure someone that will be an attraction, then all the better, ie Whole Foods (until the liquor laws change that won't happen). Lets do the petition, I may even start a website :D) GIVE US OUR FOOD.COM I don't know... KEEPUSFROMDRIVINGSOFARTOSHOP.COM

flintysooner
03-06-2008, 06:02 PM
I went to the Sprouts site (http://www.sprouts.com/) and requested that they come to Oklahoma City. I received a nice email. They are expanding. We probably won't get one anytime soon but it doesn't hurt to ask them as well as others.

FritterGirl
03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm a suburbanite myself, but work downtown. As I was driving up Walker yesterday, I saw a great building (a Banta Midtown property, I believe) on the east side of the street, at about 8th or 9th, just southeast of the hospital and south of the round-about.

In passing it, I thought to myself that it would make a great "small" grocery or convenience-like store for some of the downtown dwellers.

Perfect size, nice location in proximity to downtown, St. Anthony's and Midtown, and lots of windows. I don't remember what kind of parking there was at the location.

Grant it, it's not in the heart of downtown, but it's still not a bad spot, plus it would be using available space.

BDP
03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Would you guys who live downtown pay a premium to shop in your neighborhood?

okctvnewsguy
03-06-2008, 06:42 PM
See, I think that will be the key is using existing space, there are some great old building just sitting around downtown, and bricktown that can be retrofitted easily for retail. Some of the recent examples, Irmas in Plaza Court, IHOP in bricktown. There are some great opportunities!

Millie
03-06-2008, 07:08 PM
If we can lure someone that will be an attraction, then all the better, ie Whole Foods (until the liquor laws change that won't happen).

The Whole Foods in Tulsa doesn't appear to be hurting for business. I know there have been threads about this in the past, but are we sure that the wine issue is the whole reason that Whole Foods won't come to OKC?

betts
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Supposedly there will be a small grocery store in the Flatiron Building. At least, that's what _____ Humphries told me is planned (forgot his first name, Grant?).

onthestrip
03-06-2008, 08:10 PM
I dont mean to disappoint anyone, but there is pretty much no chance a whole foods would locate in the downtown area. I think they would come to the city but I dont think there has been a good location come available for them, yet. A smaller, boutique type grocery is probably all you can hope for right now, and yes, you will be paying a premium for it. Just my opinion.

metro
03-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I think that is exactly what is needed some type of "mart" it would have high appeal as a restaurant, and the grocery side of it would do well for the downtown residents, the ideal location for it could be placed in bricktown to draw the after movie crowds, and the post Earls type crowds. The drive-thru (if they could manage) would appeal to the lunch-ers.

Downtown OKC Inc., The Chamber, Urban Neighbors and other organizations have been working to get one for years. One will come when the critical mass arrives, even though my opinion says we could probably support one now. Unfortunately businesses like this (especially grocery stores who make very little money, usually 1-2%) don't build based on opinion, but on solid numbers instead. Keep in mind, most of the projects downtown won't be finished until this summer. I imagine we'll hear something by sometime next year.

If you want a say so, join Urban Neighbors, downtown's residents association. Members get voting rights and the organization is a direct conduit to The City of Oklahoma City. Our next meeting is next thursday night and we will have a special session for voting members to vote on a few issues, for more info: Home | Urban Neighbors (http://www.urbanneighbors.org)

okctvnewsguy
03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
What do you vote on?

mecarr
03-06-2008, 10:04 PM
What do you vote on?

Good Question. I am a member and don't even know what we vote on...Well, actually we are voting on a new set of by-laws coming up. Nevertheless, it's a great organization and a good way to meet some nice and friendly people.

As far as location is concerned, there is a perfect building on 4th and walker. It's completely abandoned but it seems like a perfect size for a small to midsize grocery store. It is right across the street from the Legacy Apartments.

OKCTalker
03-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Not to rain on the CBD grocery store parade, but there isn't a quality grocery store anywhere in the metro, and I point to Crescent Market as the "quality" option, and the Homeland takover of Albertson's locations as proof. Having made that arguable point, why would an outside grocer come to OKC and pick the CBD over the burbs? The suburbs have quantifiable and long-term histories to analyze in terms of sales and demographics, and a greater percentage of owner-occupied residences versus rental housing than the CBD (a grocer doesn't want to see his customer base suddenly move when the apartment lease expires). I believe that OKC is ripe for the picking, but if it were MY multi-million $ decision to open in OKC, I would pick NW, Edmond or far SW over the CBD.

metro
03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Good Question. I am a member and don't even know what we vote on...Well, actually we are voting on a new set of by-laws coming up. Nevertheless, it's a great organization and a good way to meet some nice and friendly people.

As far as location is concerned, there is a perfect building on 4th and walker. It's completely abandoned but it seems like a perfect size for a small to midsize grocery store. It is right across the street from the Legacy Apartments.

mecarr, two things. The UN's vote next week is to approve the by-laws of the organization. Future votes, may include issues we will go to the city council with since we are the direct conduit to them for downtown residents issues. We have been discussing the grocery store issue with them for quite some time as well have other organizations. I strongly urge you to get involved with a committee and bring your ideas to the table and get involved in the inner workings of the organization, after all, it's your organization for you. We need as many active downtown residents, businesses, and friends of downtown as possible to make it successful.

The building on 4th and Walker, well, see my post from yesterday called "Rick Dowell's building at 4th and Walker", they started rehabbing it this week. Not sure what will come of it.

trison
03-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Banta recently let it slip out that he has a small bodego type market coming in one of his buildings in Midtown. He wouldn't say which one but said that it was leary of announcing it until he had a building permit.

Dustbowl
03-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Banta recently let it slip out that he has a small bodego type market coming in one of his buildings in Midtown. He wouldn't say which one but said that it was leary of announcing it until he had a building permit.

I still believe that a Braum's Fresh Market would take care of the CBD for a long time. Maybe next year as the population increases. It would not only be a grocery, the burger/ice cream side would help. You would still need to make a run to a larger store every 2 weeks or so, not a big deal.

mheaton76
03-07-2008, 09:28 AM
I read recently that the residential population in downtown would have to reach around 4,000 people before a grocery store would be profitable. I believe downtown is getting close to achieving that number....

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM

You could always hold an election and get taxpayers to subsidize it.

goinhikin
03-07-2008, 04:22 PM
There are a lot of folks in the Crown Heights and Edgemere Park (where I live) neighborhoods that would shop downtown at a quality grocery store. There is nothing decent close to us. Like Dustbowl mentioned, I shop at Super Target every two weeks and use the Braum's market for my perishables. Not an ideal setup but it works.

trison
03-08-2008, 11:34 AM
The rumor is that Braums is purchasing a site in Bricktown. I wish that they would put a new site in the Midtown area that included their fresh market. I really don't see people going down to Bricktown to pick up groceries.

metro
03-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Bad idea, why can't these chains have the foresight to put a nice walk-up, zero lot line, streetfront store with NO drive in. Braum's new design is crappy in my opinion although it is better than their old design of stores. The new one does not have any consistency. It's half the old store/half urban looking new store. I wouldn't mind if they had a downtown/Midtown store with all stone (the stone they are using now is very nice) and modular looking, but no pitched roofs, etc.

CCOKC
03-08-2008, 01:13 PM
I agree that the new design would not work well in Bricktown but if it is in Upper versus lower that design would not fly there with the board. I always thought a Braum's would be great in Bricktown but that was before Marble Slab and Sonic went in. Does anyone know what side of Bricktown it's supposed to be built?

mecarr
03-09-2008, 12:08 AM
A grocery store in Bricktown?! Can you imagine the parking problem? I'd be surprised if this were to happen, especially considering the high rent that the store would have to pay coupled with the low profit margin that most grocery stores receive. I know Braums' is not a real grocery store, so maybe it'd be different. I think something in the Arts District would be a good location.

lpecan
05-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Sorry to resurrect the old thread, but I've been poking the idea around for months. Unfortunately, I don't get to go to UN meetings since I go to school at night after work.

People are always asking how we can attract a grocery store, and its always contingent on someone else. What if we opened a co-op grocery? It would require a small investment from people, but it would guarantee that we could open one. It would be not-for-profit, so the tax burden would be lower, so conceivably it could compete with outside big box grocery stores. We could buy local, so we'd fill the niche market of those looking for an independent, and honestly, the store could be whatever the member wanted.

For an example see : Open Harvest : Natural Foods Cooperative Grocery (http://www.openharvest.com/)

Also, there are a few groups which help those who want to start such markets:

Welcome to the Food Co-op 500 Web Site (http://www.foodcoop500.coop/)

What do you think? Would you be willing to pay $12/month to shop at a local grocery store downtown AND own it?

The Old Downtown Guy
05-24-2008, 09:59 AM
. . . What if we opened a co-op grocery? . . .

A couple of other options:

There is already an established food coop . . . Oklahoma Food Cooperative - Local Food, Local Farmers - Farmer's Market, Natural, organic, health, sustainable, locally grown, meat, vegetables, nuts, produce, bread (http://www.oklahomafood.coop), but it doesn't have a store front. It does now have a permnant warehouse location to handle the sorting of products from around the state brought to OKC for the once monthly order and orders can be picked up there. The warehouse is not right dowtown, but it is not too terribly far away, just west and a few blocks south of the Exchange Avenue Viaduct.

The assortment of food is good and the prices fair. Everything is all Oklahoma grown and raised, either organic, free range, or chemical free.

Another option might be to talk to Native Roots in Norman about opening a location closer to downtown OKC.

soonerguru
05-24-2008, 10:56 PM
I have been told by an absolutely unimpeachable source that OKC is getting Whole Foods, that it will NOT be in Edmond, that it will NOT be at the intersection of 235 and 36th, and that it will be in or near downtown.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I have been told by an absolutely unimpeachable source that OKC is getting Whole Foods, that it will NOT be in Edmond, that it will NOT be at the intersection of 235 and 36th, and that it will be in or near downtown.

I hope you are right . . . because if you're not . . . you will be tracked down and large organic vegetables will be inserted into every orifice of your body.

betts
05-24-2008, 11:28 PM

I was just told the same thing within the last week, but now I cannot remember whether my source was unimpeachable or not. I do remember thinking said person was a pretty reliable source, but for the life of me I cannot remember who it was.

lpecan
05-25-2008, 08:17 AM
Did this individual hint as to when such an announcement might be made, because if waterboarding is somehow OK I think the organic vegetable solution is legal as well.

Thanks so much for the info. I really hope you're right!

GWB
05-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Found this on another forum. Not sure how this person knows, but if it's true, I can't wait for it to happen. My wife and I go there every time we're in Dallas and we love it!
-------------------------------
happytown

972 posts, read 303,021 times

There is a Whole Foods in Tulsa and OKC will be getting one soon on Western and Dtown.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dismayed
05-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Rumor has it that the store is going into University North Park in Norman, but of course nothing says that they have to build only one store in the metro.

lpecan
05-25-2008, 10:02 AM
Found this on another forum. Not sure how this person knows, but if it's true, I can't wait for it to happen. My wife and I go there every time we're in Dallas and we love it!
-------------------------------
happytown

972 posts, read 303,021 times

There is a Whole Foods in Tulsa and OKC will be getting one soon on Western and Dtown.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i saw that too, but that post was from january

gmwise
05-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi, isn't the old Fox Collison site up for sale, its real close to the Bricktown IHOP.
I think that would fit, but I was told its already spoken for.
Any thoughts?

mmonroe
05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I emailed Crest Foods awhile back, but no reply.

Chicken In The Rough
05-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Personally, I have mixed feeling about Whole Foods. They have beautiful stores and great products. They are well managed and are often listed as great places to work.

My biggest complaint is that they are insensitive to local producers. Whole Foods will come into OKC and jeopardize the fragile local economy that has begun to emerge around the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. Whole Foods advertises that they support local farmers and producers, but my experience with them has demonstrated otherwise. They are just another multi-billion dollar company, and their long-term affect on OKC will not be positive.

They certainly know how to build a pretty store, though.

Jeopardude
05-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Personally, I have mixed feeling about Whole Foods. They have beautiful stores and great products. They are well managed and are often listed as great places to work.

My biggest complaint is that they are insensitive to local producers. Whole Foods will come into OKC and jeopardize the fragile local economy that has begun to emerge around the Oklahoma Food Cooperative. Whole Foods advertises that they support local farmers and producers, but my experience with them has demonstrated otherwise. They are just another multi-billion dollar company, and their long-term affect on OKC will not be positive.

They certainly know how to build a pretty store, though.

Those halogen lights and polished concrete floors do impress. Also, NOT ALL THEIR PRODUCE IS ORGANIC. Last Whole Foods I went in (Dallas Greenville) not even half of the produce was organic. People just assume it all is.

Millie
05-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Hi, isn't the old Fox Collison site up for sale, its real close to the Bricktown IHOP.
I think that would fit, but I was told its already spoken for.
Any thoughts?

I thought another body shop was going to move in there- Body Works or something.

Pete
05-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I really hope Whole Foods goes in or near downtown but be forewarned... It's an expensive place to shop.

However, that might not be such a big deal for OKC because other than the market in NH Plaza, I don't think there is another upscale concept in the entire Metro.

And of course, if they do well then others are sure to follow.

I have to say that the downtown/Midtown housing market will likely go nuts once a legitimate market goes in down there.

soonerguru
05-25-2008, 10:01 PM
For those of you lucky enough to live in a major city, what are some of the other concepts besides Whole Foods? It is expensive in my experience.

What about Trader Joe's? Central Market? Are there other upscale / organic markets better than Whole Foods?

Millie
05-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I'd much, much, much rather see a Central Market than a Whole Foods- much better produce selection, imo, and Whole Foods can't even compete with the meat counter at Central Market. Or the cheese selection, or the deli, or... well, anything.

I've only been in a Trader Joe's once and I wasn't too impressed- I may have just been at a bad/small location, though. Everything just seemed too expensive for what it was.

oneforone
05-26-2008, 12:24 AM
I smell a sales tax around the corner. I can see it now, "Help your downtown neighbors get a grocery store vote yes on Tuesday. Voting No will starve the citizens downtown it's bad enoough they pay $1000 for rent. Even though they chose to live downtown, they a right to have a neighborhood grocery store." Low tone announcer voice: Paid for by Citizens for Selling Their Souls and The Friends For Selling Out For A Better City.

edcrunk
05-26-2008, 01:13 AM
I hope you are right . . . because if you're not . . . you will be tracked down and large organic vegetables will be inserted into every orifice of your body.
ya know ODG... i have multiple friends that would not consider that a punishment.

edcrunk
05-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I'd much, much, much rather see a Central Market than a Whole Foods- much better produce selection, imo, and Whole Foods can't even compete with the meat counter at Central Market. Or the cheese selection, or the deli, or... well, anything.
i would kill for HEB to put a CENTRAL MARKET in OKC! i miss the beer and wine selection. (btw, our outdated liquor laws are so flippin retarded! aaarrrgh)
anyways, i totally agree... i would much rather have a CM than a WHOLE FOODS. but don't get wrong... a whole foods is better than nothing.
has anyone ever shopped/eaten at EATZI'S? i miss that place.

but back to the main topic... i read a study from okc.gov that said we needed at least 6,000 units to support a DT grocery store.

Central Market (http://www.centralmarket.com/cm/index.jsp)
Whole Foods Market (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/)
Welcome to Trader Joe's - Your Neighborhood Grocery Store (http://www.traderjoes.com/)
Welcome to Publix Super Markets, Inc. (http://www.publix.com/)
https://eatzis.catertrax.com/

Chicken In The Rough
05-26-2008, 06:46 AM
I think OKC would also stand a much better chance of landing a Market Street rather than a Whole Foods or Central Market. Market Street is an upscale division of United Supermarkets (based in Lubbock), and they have a number of stores in the Dallas area. They have a similar product mix as Central Market, but also mix in a lot more mainstream grocery items.

On the other hand, Whole Foods' store in Tulsa must be difficult to support logistically. They need another store in this region to help spread the cost of shipping.

What can we do to get Crest, Health Food Center, Akins, or someone else local (or semi-local) to build what we want downtown? Maybe Chesapeake can help Crescent find a new location in the downtown area like they've done with other relocated businesses.

Whatever happens, we've got to get past the mentality of bringing in an outside company. They do not have our best interests in mind, and they add little or nothing to our uniqueness as a city.

If tax incentives are offered, an equal incentive should be offered to locals. I really don't want a city filled with Bass Pros, Starbucks, and Wal Mart Super Centers. I can get that anywhere. However, a shiny new Crescent Market with an in-house cafe, flower shop, bakery, etc. locate in the St. Anthony area would be a dream come true.

By the way, Crescent Market doesn't get enough publicity for the good they do in the local community. They are one of the only grocery stores in town to actively support local food producers.

Pete
05-26-2008, 08:12 AM
My personal favorite is Trader Joe's.

It's not as large as others and it takes a bit longer to warm to, but they have fantastic prices and a wide array of interesting products you can generally only find there.

In fact, there was a Whole Foods less than a mile from my house and I went in several times but never bought anything. Then, they moved down the road to a much larger space and TJ's moved into their old spot... And I now shop in that Trader Joe's at least once a week.

Still, I think Whole Foods would do very well in that market. If I was them, I'd find a place in Midtown or between there and downtown.

alan
05-26-2008, 08:51 AM
(btw, our outdated liquor laws are so flippin retarded! aaarrrgh)

completely agree.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-26-2008, 12:39 PM
. . . . Maybe Chesapeake can help Crescent find a new location in the downtown area like they've done with other relocated businesses. . .

I shop at Cresent from time to time for selected items, but I don't think they could make a go of it away from Nichols Hills and its attendant disposable income. I am from time to time amazed by some of the prices they get for individual items . . . often 50% more than the same item at other stores.

Cresent does pormote locally produced products and I appreciate that. As does Bill Kamps Meat Market located on North Western Avenue.

dismayed
05-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Central Market. Man I wish we had one of those here somewhere.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-27-2008, 07:17 AM
While we wait for a new downtown grocery store to open, may I suggest shopping at the one we already have . . . Homeland . . . located between Western and Classen on NW 18th.

Over the past year or so, they have upgraded their dairy offerings by adding a complete selection of organic products including milk, cottage cheese etc. along with an assortment of organic salad greens and other specialty products like imported cheese, canned goods and beverages.

It sure isn't Whole Foods, but perhaps if we encourage them a little by shopping there and letting them know what other items we would like to see in their store, we will have a better place to shop while we wait for our dream store. BTW . . . I just can't seem to get through to them that low fat varieties of Hagan Daz and Ben & Jerry's would be well received, so if you stop in there, please add your voice to mine.

Actually, this proven location is a very good one; right on Classen Blvd. in Mesta Park and close to Heritage Hills, Edgemere, Jeff Park, Paseo and Midtown. And, a portion of the over-sized and under-utilized parking lot could be used to expand the size of the store for a new specialty grocery operator like Trader Joes whose stores tend to be a little smaller than Whole Foods.

OKCMallen
05-27-2008, 07:40 AM
While we wait for a new downtown grocery store to open, may I suggest shopping at the one we already have . . . Homeland . . . located between Western and Classen on NW 18th.

Over the past year or so, they have upgraded their dairy offerings by adding a complete selection of organic products including milk, cottage cheese etc. along with an assortment of organic salad greens and other specialty products like imported cheese, canned goods and beverages.

It sure isn't Whole Foods, but perhaps if we encourage them a little by shopping there and letting them know what other items we would like to see in their store, we will have a better place to shop while we wait for our dream store. BTW . . . I just can't seem to get through to them that low fat varieties of Hagan Daz and Ben & Jerry's would be well received, so if you stop in there, please add your voice to mine.

Actually, this proven location is a very good one; right on Classen Blvd. in Mesta Park and close to Heritage Hills, Edgemere, Jeff Park, Paseo and Midtown. And, a portion of the over-sized and under-utilized parking lot could be used to expand the size of the store for a new specialty grocery operator like Trader Joes whose stores tend to be a little smaller than Whole Foods.

Stop making so much sense!!! :fighting3

mmonroe
05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
I don't like the area west of homeland. It scares me.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-29-2008, 09:54 PM

According to your profile, you're only 21 years old and your interest is urban renewal. . . . . you should be fearless. One's own mortality is a concept that seldom crosses most 21 year olds minds.

bornhere
05-29-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm in that area all the time. If that scares you, you should move to the 'burbs.

soonerguru
05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
don't like the area west of homeland. It scares me

Wow! Not to pick on you, but that area is rapidly gentrifying. Dicey? A bit. That's life in the city.

metro
05-30-2008, 07:53 AM
No kidding. Lots of that area is nice in the "Plaza District". Are their some sketchy properties in there, sure. It has an eclectic mix of lifestyles and examples of new urbanism as well though. Heck, Wayne Coyne lead singer of the Flaming Lips lives in this neighborhood and he has the money to live anywhere in the world if he wanted to.

jbrown84
05-30-2008, 01:40 PM

Seriously? I mean I wouldn't take a leisurely walk there in the middle of the night, but that fact that it scares you away from shopping at that grocery store is silly. I tried it once and the selection was just too poor.

For those of you lucky enough to live in a major city, what are some of the other concepts besides Whole Foods? It is expensive in my experience.

What about Trader Joe's? Central Market? Are there other upscale / organic markets better than Whole Foods?

I haven't actually been to a Whole Foods, but I adore Central Market. They are very nice and even have an outdoor cafe area with live music (or at least the one in Ft. Worth does).

I thought another body shop was going to move in there- Body Works or something.

Dear lord, I hope not!! One of these things is not like the other...

The Old Downtown Guy
05-30-2008, 02:42 PM
. . . . Heck, Wayne Coyne lead singer of the Flaming Lips lives in this neighborhood and he has the money to live anywhere in the world if he wanted to.

Good point metro. Actually Coyne and Company own about six adjacent houses in that area. He and his family live there along with some staff. Brian Fitzsimons is doing an extensive remodel of his "compound in the hood." They are just rehabbing most of the buildings, doing an addition here and there and adding a few contemporary touches, mostly back yard areas not visible from the street . . . but not doing anything like his house on Francis.