View Full Version : Ford Center upgrade effort under way

Pages : [1] 2

metro
03-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Ford Center upgrade effort under way

March 6, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Now that city voters have passed a temporary 1-percent sales tax worth about $120 million, city leaders have entered a complicated new phase of actually setting in motion construction of Ford Center arena upgrades.

“We don’t know the time frame exactly for designing what’s supposed to be ready and when,” City Manager Jim Couch said. “We know generally the scope of what we want, but the staging is going to be difficult.”

Couch’s staff has made at least one big step, however: Weeks ahead of Tuesday’s election, architectural firms were reviewed and a contract is ready to be awarded for initial designs on the new facilities. That decision will be announced next week.

Oklahoma City residents passed the sales tax by a large margin with a vote of 44,849-27,564, or about 62-percent approval. Voter turnout was nearly 31 percent, double the response of an average city election, election board officials said.

The tax, which will go into effect at the beginning of 2009, is earmarked to pay for massive upgrades to the downtown arena to make it worthy of hosting NBA league games. About $20 million of the expected tax revenue will go toward the construction of a practice facility for the sole use of a National Basketball League team.

Tax supporters hope that team will be the SuperSonics, currently based in Seattle. Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett heads Professional Basketball Club LLC, the group that paid $350 million last year for the Sonics and the WNBA’s Storm.

Bennett’s partners in the deal include Aubrey McClendon of Chesapeake Energy, Tom Ward of SandRidge Energy, and Jeff Records of MidFirst Bank, all based in the metro area; Bennett is chairman of Dorchester Capital. But before Bennett and his group can move the Sonics to Oklahoma, they’ve got a few hoops to jump through. One of the two largest problems is that the Sonics’ lease with Seattle runs through 2010, and city officials there aren’t going to let the team go without a fight; the city has sued the team to hold to the contract. That case is still three months away from being heard in federal court.

Before then, the NBA’s board of governors is scheduled to meet in April to consider the Sonics’ relocation proposal. That decision deadline is the main reason Oklahoma City leaders put the arena sales tax issue to a public vote so quickly after announcing it in January – Ford Center upgrades originally were intended to be part of a larger package of infrastructure improvements under MAPS-3, a successor to Metropolitan Area Projects and MAPS for Kids.

A committee of NBA owners will visit Oklahoma City ahead of the board’s decision – “a dog and pony show is what they’re calling it,” Cornett said Wednesday – to judge whether the city can legitimately sustain a team of its own. That group is expected later this month. Cornett, Chamber President Roy Williams and others will show the group around town and answer their questions. “If we’re going to get a team will be decided by the NBA’s relocation team here in the next 30 days or so, and when we get a team will be decided by a judge in Washington,” Cornett said.

But otherwise city leaders and residents have played their parts in the election. Now it’s largely a matter of waiting for certain dates and decisions to be made elsewhere, Cornett said. For example, Couch said designing the arena can’t begin until it’s known whether the center will serve as the new home of the Sonics. Certain amenities such as a warm-up court, executive operations offices and reserved spectator suites might not make it into the blueprints otherwise.

If the Sonics team is allowed to move to Oklahoma City to play as early as November, the start of a new league season, officials might be able to push ahead certain improvements – a new scoreboard and skyboxes or offices, for example, Couch said.“When we know that, it will really help us in our decision-making,” he said. As for the funding, even though the dedicated sales tax won’t start until next year, the city has some flexibility in its budget to cover minor expenses, Couch said. A short-term line of credit also is available if needed until the tax revenue starts coming in.

Funds for the election campaign itself are still be collected across downtown by the chamber of commerce, Williams said. Cornett has been the main spokesman promoting the issue; the chamber took the lead financial role in the campaign. According to campaign financial records filed with the city clerk’s office, by mid-February the Citizens for a Big League City campaign collected more than $113,000, of which $100,000 was submitted by Williams on behalf of the chamber’s Forward Oklahoma City III project. Half of that had been spent by Feb. 17, mostly on advertising. Williams said Wednesday he didn’t know how much money the campaign ultimately will report next month. Contributions are still being accepted, he said. None of the Sonics’ owners or their companies have made contributions yet, he confirmed.“We knew it was going to be close, and we actually thought it was going to be closer,” he said of election results. A last-minute media surge was needed, Williams said. “We didn’t want this to be a small group of people to make this decision. We wanted as many voters as possible to weigh into this. You do have to have a very, very high-profile campaign to turn the voters out.”

The chamber last year created Forward OKC as an economic development program with funding separate from chamber operations. Williams said supporting the “Major League City” campaign was well within the program’s mandate. And the large number of residents involved in the election is bound to have a positive effect on NBA officials’ decision to move the Sonics, he said.

SouthsideSooner
03-06-2008, 09:18 AM
"But otherwise city leaders and residents have played their parts in the election. Now it’s largely a matter of waiting for certain dates and decisions to be made elsewhere, Cornett said. For example, Couch said designing the arena can’t begin until it’s known whether the center will serve as the new home of the Sonics. Certain amenities such as a warm-up court, executive operations offices and reserved spectator suites might not make it into the blueprints otherwise."

I find it hard to believe that even if we didn't get the Sonics, we wouldn't still go ahead with plans to make the arena NBA ready. That would be incredibly short sighted.

The locker rooms and warm up court would be excellent for the Big 12, the NCAA's and the All College.

metro
03-06-2008, 10:02 AM
I agree, especially after the big push for this vote, if we don't get NBA then, we'll get it within the next 5 years probably, don't have another Ford Center election. Get it done right in hopes of luring some sort of major-league tenant whether it be the NBA or NHL. The executive offices and suites can still be used as well as a practice area (Big 12 could use it, gynastics championships, and other events could make use of it too).

betts
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
I agree, especially after the big push for this vote, if we don't get NBA then, we'll get it within the next 5 years probably, don't have another Ford Center election. Get it done right in hopes of luring some sort of major-league tenant whether it be the NBA or NHL. The executive offices and suites can still be used as well as a practice area (Big 12 could use it, gynastics championships, and other events could make use of it too).

I'm one of the more cautiously optimistic (emphasis on cautiously) or even pessimistic people about this issue you'll ever find, and I would be completely shocked if we do not get a team within the next two to three years.

Our city's response must be like a breath of fresh air to the NBA, because of what they have had to deal with in the last few years. Charlotte voters turned down the arena proposal, more because of their dislike of Shinn than anything, I've been told, but the city council had to find the money to make it happen. Memphis and Orlando didn't put the arena issue up for a citywide vote, but rather again found the money elsewhere, and I heard that was because they were afraid of the results. Seattle passed I-91, which if it is interpreted and used correctly, would make it very difficult for the city to fund an arena, and Sacramento voters voted down an arena proposal.

Oklahoma City is precisely the model the NBA would like to present to the other cities in the league or any other cities looking to become NBA hosts. We were sixth in the league in season ticket sales while the Hornets were here, and even though our ticket sales were only mid range, we were supporting a team that wasn't ours and was a "lame duck" team the last year they were here. Now, and this is the most important part, we've shown the NBA that we as a city will robustly support a tax on ourselves to create an NBA ready arena.

On top of all that, David Stern has shown himself to be a commissioner that recognizes a debt. He gave Charlotte the Bobcats when the Hornets left, he made George Shinn take the Hornets back to New Orleans. By passing this tax, coupled with our support of the Hornets and what Clay Bennett has had to endure up in Seattle, I believe he will go out of his way to make sure we get a team. I'm not sure what team. It's still not inconceivable that the Hornets could end up here, and he's certainly talked with Las Vegas about an expansion team, so it wouldn't even shock me if he were to award us an expansion team with the plan to put one in Las Vegas when they deal with the betting issue, although I think that has a small percentage chance of happening.

But regardless, I believe there will be an NBA team here soon.

jbrown84
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I thought the designs were done. What were the floorplans that were in the powerpoint presentation?

andy157
03-06-2008, 12:06 PM
I thought the designs were done. What were the floorplans that were in the powerpoint presentation?Were you voting for the floorplans you were shown in the powerpoint presentation?

jbrown84
03-06-2008, 12:14 PM
No.

Nixon7
03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Oh no, they are going to go cheap now with stucco!

andy157
03-06-2008, 12:23 PM
No.Sorry, I just assumed from your comments those were the ones you voted for. My bad.

andy157
03-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Oh no, they are going to go cheap now with stucco!They wouldn't

bornhere
03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Our city's response must be like a breath of fresh air to the NBA, because of what they have had to deal with in the last few years.

You keep talking about the NBA like it was World Neighbors or something. And they've just been treated like dirty dogs because other cities weren't willing to adjust their spending and priorities to get the poor beleaguered owners their skyboxes and office suites. (Or the city leaders and local chambers had to go around the citizens to get the NBA what it wanted.)

Oklahoma City is precisely the model the NBA would like to present to the other cities in the league or any other cities looking to become NBA hosts.

Well, I don't doubt that.

what Clay Bennett has had to endure up in Seattle

Poor Clay. It's a wonder he hasn't become a monk or something, given the hell his life has been.

MikeLucky
03-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Poor Clay. It's a wonder he hasn't become a monk or something, given the hell his life has been.

Clay (and the other owners) are spending upwards of half a billion dollars, all told, to bring professional sports to their home town.....

Yes he has lots of money, but he is also willing to spend it, and lose it, for the sake of his community..... tell me again why he is such a bad guy??????

bornhere
03-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I think it's inaccurate to characterize him as some sort of oppressed minority in all this.

He made a business investment, which was his choice to do. He asked the city to spend money to enhance his investment, which the voters agreed to do.

But no one on any side of this, here or in Seattle or at the Sonics front office, was under a moral obligation to do any of this. Everyone made their free choices based on what they thought served their interests.

(edited for elaboration)

betts
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
He's not an oppressed minority, but he has been ignored or villified, made fun of and disbelieved from the start. I would be pretty angry were I him, especially since word is he was really sincere about trying to get an arena built in Seattle ( as were at least a couple of the other owners), and they pretty much treated him like a pariah from day one.

solitude
03-06-2008, 01:50 PM
He's not an oppressed minority, but he has been ignored or villified, made fun of and disbelieved from the start. I would be pretty angry were I him, especially since word is he was really sincere about trying to get an arena built in Seattle ( as were at least a couple of the other owners), and they pretty much treated him like a pariah from day one.

I'm no Clay Bennett fan. He married well.

As for sincerity in keeping the team in Seattle, what is the name of the company that bought the Sonics? And....what was it exactly that Aubrey McClendon said?

MikeLucky
03-06-2008, 02:05 PM
I'm no Clay Bennett fan. He married well.

As for sincerity in keeping the team in Seattle, what is the name of the company that bought the Sonics? And....what was it exactly that Aubrey McClendon said?

I think Clay's intent was and always has been to bring a team to OKC. Maybe the Sonics, maybe another team.....

In the end Clay may just be what Seattle needed to resolve their arena issues. The pressure of the possible move may facilitate new local owners and a new arena deal.

And in that case you know the NBA will take care of Clay and make sure his objective is reached as well......

andy157
03-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I think Clay's intent was and always has been to bring a team to OKC. Maybe the Sonics, maybe another team.....

In the end Clay may just be what Seattle needed to resolve their arena issues. The pressure of the possible move may facilitate new local owners and a new arena deal.

And in that case you know the NBA will take care of Clay and make sure his objective is reached as well......But hasn't Bennett said the Sonics are NOT for sale?

MikeLucky
03-06-2008, 02:35 PM
But hasn't Bennett said the Sonics are NOT for sale?

everything is for sale for the right price. I'm just sayin'

jbrown84
03-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Sorry, I just assumed from your comments those were the ones you voted for. My bad.

I don't understand what you're saying.

Yes, I thought the plans that they showed were at least somewhat final (that they had at least picked an architect). No, I didn't vote yes based solely on those plans and renderings.

andy157
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I don't understand what you're saying.

Yes, I thought the plans that they showed were at least somewhat final (that they had at least picked an architect). No, I didn't vote yes based solely on those plans and renderings.I have no doubt that your yes vote was NOT based solely on the advertised plans and renderings. I would think that your yes vote WAS based on, not solely on, but primarily on, upgrading the F.C. to the level that would facilitate landing an NBA team. Whether that be the Sonics, the Hornets, or possibly even an expansion team. My interpretation of your comments was that you seemed disappointed, and somewhat perplexed with the thought of the ultimate goal falling short, based upon Couch's statement that certain NBA specific amenities may be excluded from the final plans. I apologise if I misinterpreted your comments.

bkm645
03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
It's good that they are going to get the ball rolling quickly on the Ford Center, but what about the Robinson exit? The plan with the Ford Center is to put the new entrance on the southwest side, which is where the exit is now. If they close that exit you have to go to Classen to get downtown. It would add at least a few min more to my daily drive.

OKCDrummer77
03-06-2008, 07:46 PM
I think that the "grand entrance" will have to wait until after the new Crosstown opens and the old bridge is taken down. It would look a lot less impressive with a dilapidated old bridge running across it.

bkm645
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I think that the "grand entrance" will have to wait until after the new Crosstown opens and the old bridge is taken down. It would look a lot less impressive with a dilapidated old bridge running across it.

But isn't the bridge not coming down until 2010-2012?

OKCDrummer77
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
But isn't the bridge not coming down until 2010-2012?

Unfortunately, that's true. In fact, 2012 is closer to accurate. Maybe someone knows something about this that I don't. I was making an educated guess. Given the proximity of the Ford Center to I-40, and particularly the Robinson exit, I don't see how the new entrance could be completed while they are still in place.

betts
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I saw something somewhere that said they were going to do a temporary entrance on Robinson to finish the Ford Center, before the Crosstown is done. Can't remember which article, though.

SouthsideSooner
03-06-2008, 09:56 PM
That exit splits in to a Y, with a left turn lane and a right turn lane.

The right turn lane will close and that will allow room for the expansion

Saberman
03-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I thought the designs were done. What were the floorplans that were in the powerpoint presentation?

Those were preliminary concept plans.

The finished plans contract will be approved latter this month by the council, to be done by, by Benham Group. they did the original plans for the Ford Center. That should take 8 to 9 months to finish the construction plans. Once they approved, then work will be put up for bid. So major construction should not start for about 12 months or more.

They have already said that some projects will be started earlier, depending on when or if an NBA team comes in 08, 09, 2010. Things like locker rooms and some cosmetic work can be done pretty quickly. But major construction will come in the 12 month time frame. Structural plans take time and have to be approved.:artist:

jbrown84
03-07-2008, 08:26 AM
I have no doubt that your yes vote was NOT based solely on the advertised plans and renderings. I would think that your yes vote WAS based on, not solely on, but primarily on, upgrading the F.C. to the level that would facilitate landing an NBA team. Whether that be the Sonics, the Hornets, or possibly even an expansion team. My interpretation of your comments was that you seemed disappointed, and somewhat perplexed with the thought of the ultimate goal falling short, based upon Couch's statement that certain NBA specific amenities may be excluded from the final plans. I apologise if I misinterpreted your comments.

No problem. It was mainly that I liked the aesthetic look of the renderings and assumed that was final.

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-07-2008, 12:25 PM
"If we believe a team is coming in October of 2008, we would probably find some things that could be done in just a few months,” Cornett said.

"Maybe that is some suites.

(snipped the rest that talked about locker rooms.) (http://newsok.com/article/3212609/)

metro
04-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Surprised no one posted this yet:

Arena renovations to begin in June

By Darnell Mayberry
Staff Writer

The first wave of Ford Center renovations will begin in June, according to Oklahoma City officials, while construction of the NBA practice facility is much further from breaking ground.

The entire project, however, is scheduled for completion before the start of the 2010-11 NBA season, the latest possible season the NBA's Seattle SuperSonics could relocate to Oklahoma City.

Construction of the downtown arena's recently approved $100 million improvement project will be done in three segments.

The building's interior is slated to undergo renovations in June, but the project's two biggest makeovers — a new grand entrance on the southwest side of the building and a southeast expansion — won't begin until early 2009.

"We're going to focus on the interior improvements that would be noticeable to the patrons and try to enhance the facility so that it meets NBA standards as they're defined today,” said Assistant City Engineer Laura Story. "And some of those upgrades are pretty significant.”

Story said the interior work includes the construction of the arena's bunker suites, loge boxes and renovated club suites as well as improved bathrooms and finishes to the 100 and 300 levels' floors and walls.

Of the project's other two segments, construction of the grand entrance likely will begin next January. The southeast expansion project, which calls for repositioning the arena's loading dock, is tentatively scheduled to begin in June 2009 with the projects taking up to six months for completion, Story said.

Because The Benham Companies, the architect firm that developed the preliminary renderings of the proposed Ford Center project, was initially hired by the city to only form concepts of arena upgrades, the firm, in conjunction with Denver-based Sink Combs Dethlefs, still is designing blueprints for the arena.

"What we had in the conceptual renderings was nothing close to a designed-level detail needed by a contractor,” said Oklahoma City Special Projects Manager Tom Anderson. "So the architects are in the process now of creating that detailed-level design process. And that will probably take a matter of months before they complete that task.”

Even then, Story said, work likely will be slowed because of the need to keep the Ford Center open while working around scheduled events.

"Whenever we develop the plans then we look and see which can be installed around existing events,” Story said. "Our major construction time will likely be from June to August and into September, because that's when it's the off-season for all of our heavy use of the Ford Center.”

Story said the city hasn't made plans for the $20 million off-site practice facility, which will be developed by the architect firms C.H. Guernsey and HOK. The city is waiting on a ruling from the NBA that the Sonics can relocate to Oklahoma City.

The NBA Board of Governors will consider the team's relocation request during league meetings in New York City on April 17 and 18. The owners will then vote on the application no sooner than seven days and no later than 30 days after a recommendation is made at the league meetings. A majority of the league's 30 owners is needed for final approval.

"When we receive positive information as far as an NBA team coming to Oklahoma City, we will gear up with (the practice facility) consultant and do the same process with it,” Story said.

"But there's plenty to consume our time right now with the Ford Center. But by the time the practice facility issues get here we'll have some of these other details with the Ford Center ironed out and it'll be down to a smooth process and we can gear up for the practice facility and get our act together on that.”

If the NBA approves the Sonics relocation, Story said, the site selection process for the practice facility will begin.

"We would be looking for a facility location that everybody feels is a good match for the team and for the city to own a facility at,” Story said. "And once you have the site located you can begin design. But it's not real prudent to begin that design until you know what your site is.

"And I haven't heard a word of what that might be. It's not a secret. We just haven't given it that much thought. We're really pretty swamped with what we're trying to get going right now. But we're plugging right along, and we're trying to do it according to how it was passed by the voters and we want to do a good job with it.”

BDP
04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
Any ideas on where a good place for the practice facility would be?

The fairgrounds comes to mind as a way to maybe maximize its potential for use for other events and there's plenty of land over there. I know there are always a lot of hoops to jump through when you're talking about the fairgrounds.

metro
04-07-2008, 12:06 PM
You won't see it at the fairgrounds, I would almost bet you it will be south of the Ford Center somewhere in the C2S area.

kevinpate
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Silly me, I thought it was planned as an addon to the arena footprint. So where in the area, other than the old PO complex, has the city gonea nd acquired land in the last 60 days ... possible a clue, possibly not

metro
04-07-2008, 01:43 PM
kevinpate, you won't hear of anything for awhile if you ask me. The city won't act on a practice arena, until we hear something more solid with a team moving permanently. I imagine it won't be an issue acquiring the land in C2S (Bennett, Records, McClendon, Ward and others own the team after all).

BDP
04-07-2008, 03:09 PM
I thought of C2S as well, but I was hoping that the area wouldn't need it. But it could be a way for the city to help clean it up by having an excuse to buy up and improve more of the area. I'd rather see it more of a live/work area, though. I'm not really sure what kind of footprint a practice facility would have.

jbrown84
04-07-2008, 10:26 PM
It won't be on the Post Office land. That's all going to be park.

mmonroe
04-07-2008, 11:41 PM
do we have an overlay of the proposed "c2s plan" on a map we can look at? Where's Doug?

HOT ROD
04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Any ideas on where a good place for the practice facility would be?

The fairgrounds comes to mind as a way to maybe maximize its potential for use for other events and there's plenty of land over there. I know there are always a lot of hoops to jump through when you're talking about the fairgrounds.

BDP, Ive mentioned this before but I'd like to see it at OCU. There's plenty of 'cheap' land there and it would be in the INNER CITY so that common residents could BOND with the team during it's daily rituals. PLUS, I'd build the facility with collegiate in mind, where OCU, OU, OSU, and UCO (all local U's) could use the facility for therapy and workouts with the pros.

I think having it there would be a HUGE plus for OCU's efforts to re-enter the NCAA with a top Basketball club. Who wouldn't want to come to Oklahoma City university to play b-ball with that kind of incentive (or OU, or OSU) for that matter.

In finality, having the center at OCU better integrates Oklahoma City with OCU. I feel that OCU plays far too small of a role in OKC. It is Oklahoma City's university yet there is really not that much connection between the two. It should NOT matter whether the school is private or public, OCU should SPEAK and ACT Oklahoma City and OKC should know that OCU is it's school.

How many of you have ever gone to an OCU sporting event? or knew that OCU has a fine arts auditorium complete with theatre, orchestras, and opera. .. Im sure there probably is nobody on this forum - yet these are entertainment opportunities that should be promoted and supported by the city. Having the NBA facility on or near OCU helps TIE everything together: the inner city northside, OCU (and the other universities), and the city of Oklahoma City [especially image/support wise].

Who knows, building it at or near OCU might even encourage the school or Alumni to pay for some of it. Im sure if it were pitched to them and they are really serious about re-entering the NCAA; Im sure they'd go for it.

Then the dollars saved could go into MORE Ford Center improvements OR build a top NBA facility OR go into a maintenance trust fund.

metro
04-08-2008, 07:47 AM
It won't be on the Post Office land. That's all going to be park.

I don't think anyone claimed it, he just said he was wondering if the city was going to acquire anything besides the Post Office land.

metro
04-08-2008, 07:51 AM
HOTROD, actually myself (a twentysomething), have attended events they have each year with MAJOR public speakers, sporting events, arts events, etc. I'm confident many other OKCTalker's have as well. I know your not in OKC, so you might not get the feel of OCU, but OCU does a heck of a job promoting their events and championing their cause as well as partnering with the city/community. They host community events there all the time, and many community groups often hold their events there.

Again, I think the main problem with building the NBA practice facility there is that it is a private Methodist university and a lot of people would have a problem with that. There may even be laws governing city/state funds to a private university (which I'm pretty sure there is).

Just curious, since you're in Seattle, where is there practice facility in perspective to downtown. I doubt they practice at UDub.

mmonroe
04-08-2008, 01:32 PM
When I attended SNU in Bethany, the Hornets practiced in our gym every morning starting at 11am. You could even go and watch, on the second floor of course.

metro
04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
yes, that's true mmonroe, but the SNU gym won't cut it if we land a permanent team, they will/are demanding a $20 million practice facility just like every other NBA team. SNU was generous (and I caught a few practices) to cover the Hornets while they were here in a bind.

CCOKC
04-08-2008, 05:05 PM
OCU already has a really nice facility in the Abe Lemmons Center. I attended the women's tennis tournament when we still had one there and the players all raved about how nice the facility was. I think the only reason the Hornets did not practice there was because of scheduling conflicts.

mmonroe
04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Haha, I worked IT at SNU while in school, and we had offices on the third floor of the Sawyer Center [ Sawyer Center | Southern Nazarene University Athletics (http://sports.snu.edu/facilities_sawyer.asp) ] for the coaches and associates of the Hornets to use. We had our internet connected to the downtown offices as well as the third floor. Some how, Byron Scott had plugged in a cable somewhere on the third floor and had cause a loop on the network that eventually took the entire network down. I don't exactly remember the standings on it, but it was funny non the less.

jbrown84
04-08-2008, 11:36 PM
OCU is pretty landlocked. It would require some major eminent domain of houses occupied by people to put in the practice facility there. With the C2S area, you have a lot of empty land, and what's not empty is low rent businesses and empty slumhouses.

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Out of curiousity, why would someone want to place a practice facility near a college or university?

//edit

To add, does anyone have an idea as to how far other practices facilities are away from their arenas where their teams play at? That could give us an estimate of how far away we are looking at.

Kerry
04-09-2008, 06:13 AM
In Sacramento the practice facility is across the street from the arena. However, in Tampa the arena is downtown but the NHL practice facility is in the burbs. I am not sure about other cities.

metro
04-09-2008, 07:14 AM
well, let's see what HOT ROD has to say about Seattle's practice facility since that's the team we're looking at. Let's compare apples to apples.

autoMATTic
04-09-2008, 08:19 AM
HOTROD, actually myself (a twentysomething), have attended events they have each year with MAJOR public speakers, sporting events, arts events, etc. I'm confident many other OKCTalker's have as well. I know your not in OKC, so you might not get the feel of OCU, but OCU does a heck of a job promoting their events and championing their cause as well as partnering with the city/community. They host community events there all the time, and many community groups often hold their events there.

Again, I think the main problem with building the NBA practice facility there is that it is a private Methodist university and a lot of people would have a problem with that. There may even be laws governing city/state funds to a private university (which I'm pretty sure there is).

Just curious, since you're in Seattle, where is there practice facility in perspective to downtown. I doubt they practice at UDub.

I thought they were putting it next to McClendon University.

DavidGlover
04-09-2008, 08:28 AM
3 Architect Groups were considered. One has done over 10 NBA facilities and renovations, one has over 5, one has done NONE (but they gave over $100,00 to the Chamber). Guess which one got the contract? Welcome to OKC.

soonergolfer
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
To me the best idea by far is to put the facility just south of the Ford Center in the C2S area. Its not often the city can construct a $20M improvement without many obsticles. I think by putting it in the C2S area they will help boost private investment in the surrounding area instead of having to pump in more money that they dont have yet. It also could be a selling point to hold an NCAA regional in the future.

sgt. pepper
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
3 Architect Groups were considered. One has done over 10 NBA facilities and renovations, one has over 5, one has done NONE (but they gave over $100,00 to the Chamber). Guess which one got the contract? Welcome to OKC.They have already awarded this to an architectural firm? i guess they gave it to the one that has 10 or 5 facilities under thier belt. After all, that would be the common sense choice, right?

OSUFan
04-09-2008, 08:43 AM
You have a link to back that up?

Also, since when did the Chamber pick the architect?

DavidGlover
04-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Ellerbe Becket has done the most. HOK has done the second most. Sinkcombs have done NONE ZERO NBA facilities no NBA renovations. Each of the national firms partnered with a local firm. Benham was the OKC firm with Sinkcombs. Benham (gave the money to the Chamber) was the firm that designed the Ford Center and gave us those great tight seating that everyone loves. The City gives the Chamber 4.2 million+ a year for marketing and tourism.

Midtowner
04-09-2008, 09:24 AM
OCU is pretty landlocked. It would require some major eminent domain of houses occupied by people to put in the practice facility there. With the C2S area, you have a lot of empty land, and what's not empty is low rent businesses and empty slumhouses.

OCU is private, hence, I don't think any condemnation would ever fall within the Oklahoma Constitution's definition of "public use," which is a prerequisite for a legal taking.

betts
04-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm still in favor of putting it east of Bricktown. The Fox Collision Center is an eyesore, and I'd love to see it replaced with a new building (brick, please!)

jbrown84
04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
OCU is private, hence, I don't think any condemnation would ever fall within the Oklahoma Constitution's definition of "public use," which is a prerequisite for a legal taking.

Well it would be the city taking the land for it's practice facility, not OCU. But it matters not because I just don't see it happening there.

David, the practice facility will be designed by HOK.

MikeLucky
04-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Benham (gave the money to the Chamber) was the firm that designed the Ford Center and gave us those great tight seating that everyone loves.

They were tasked to make a 18,000+ seat arena with only $85-$90 million. They did a pretty damn good job...... Getting that many seats was A BIG DEAL. they could have lowered their standards and gave everybody the leg room they wanted with fewer seats or they could have spent more money.... With less seats we would be complaining about the amount of big acts and events we WEREN'T getting, as opposed to the ones we are..... And people like you can't stop complaining about how much money we are spending already.....

And if my fat ass can sit in those seats, then they aren't that bad......

Just another reason for people to complain.

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm gonna go with 4th and EK Gaylord for the practice facility. Sounds good to me.

metro
04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
The new Chamber of Commerce is being built there monroe.