View Full Version : Ford Center upgrade effort under way

Pages : 1 [2]

OSUFan
04-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Ellerbe Becket has done the most. HOK has done the second most. Sinkcombs have done NONE ZERO NBA facilities no NBA renovations. Each of the national firms partnered with a local firm. Benham was the OKC firm with Sinkcombs. Benham (gave the money to the Chamber) was the firm that designed the Ford Center and gave us those great tight seating that everyone loves. The City gives the Chamber 4.2 million+ a year for marketing and tourism.

They give that to the CVB.

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Hmm... what else is being built in specific areas?

DavidGlover
04-09-2008, 06:21 PM
"Metro", the 2007-2008 contract for the $4.3795 million is between Oklahoma City and The Greater OKC Chamber of Commerce with the Chamber's staff assigned to convention and visitor services. The CVB is inside and under the Chamber.

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 06:36 PM
David, who the hell are you and where do you get your information?

metro
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
"Metro", the 2007-2008 contract for the $4.3795 million is between Oklahoma City and The Greater OKC Chamber of Commerce with the Chamber's staff assigned to convention and visitor services. The CVB is inside and under the Chamber.

David, quit spewing nonsense, I never said anything about anything you just mentioned. Go back to the Village. This is OKC Talk, not VillageTalk.

DavidGlover
04-09-2008, 07:16 PM
"Metro" wow, relax, chill guy/girl, man/woman, I misread the poster name, I meant OSUfan not Metro, he/she said the the city gives the 4.2 million to CVB, I was correcting the information. My information came from the city clerk and the contract with the city and chamber.

To be sure I have this straight, "Metro" residents of the Village, Nichols Hills, parts of Edmond, other communities that border or are surrounded by OKC should "go back" and not be involved?

If you agree with me you can hang out, if you disagree go away?

mmonroe
04-09-2008, 07:20 PM
I vote David go away.

andy157
04-10-2008, 07:13 PM
I vote David go away.I agree. If you don't live in OKC, then you shouldn't be allowed to post here. By the way. You do live in OKC, don't you?

Cid
04-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I live in The Village. :(

andy157
04-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I live in The Village. :(Well then, according to metro you need to go back to the Village.

Doug Loudenback
04-10-2008, 07:45 PM
"Metro" wow, relax, chill guy/girl, man/woman, I misread the poster name, I meant OSUfan not Metro, he/she said the the city gives the 4.2 million to CVB, I was correcting the information. My information came from the city clerk and the contract with the city and chamber.

To be sure I have this straight, "Metro" residents of the Village, Nichols Hills, parts of Edmond, other communities that border or are surrounded by OKC should "go back" and not be involved?

If you agree with me you can hang out, if you disagree go away?
I'm just guessing, but maybe he means that just The Village should be excluded! :bright_id

BDP
04-10-2008, 08:10 PM
the firm that designed the Ford Center and gave us those great tight seating that everyone loves.

You do know that the average seat size in the ford center is about average for most arenas and certainly bigger than the Myriad's seats, right? I think the problem is that the average Oklahoman is, well, bigger than average.

I think there were definately compromises, but the seats have never bothered me. Everyone wants more room, but I wouldn't expect it in most arena seats and certainly not in the 300s, which is really what we're talking about, I assume, because the 100s and definately the 200s have plenty of room.

mmonroe
04-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm 6' 1/2" tall and weigh 215 pounds, I've never had a problem sitting in the seats of the 100's or 200's, but i've never sat in the 300's. Most of the time they have the black skirt up and you can't sit up there.

SouthsideSooner
07-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Ford Center renovations to begin this summer

By Randy Ellis
Staff Writer
Renovations to make Oklahoma City’s Ford Center ready for the SuperSonics basketball team will begin this summer and are scheduled to be completed by the fall of 2010.

The city planned all along to follow the same construction schedule, regardless of whether the team moved to Oklahoma City in time for the 2008-2009 season or was forced to play two more years in Seattle to fulfill a Seattle lease agreement, said Tom Anderson, special projects coordinator for Oklahoma City.

Brighter lighting and upgrades to wiring and the broadcast infrastructure will be made this summer, Anderson said. NBA staff members identified these as things that needed to be done immediately to facilitate television broadcasts of games, Anderson said.

City officials have identified several other improvements they would like to have completed by the end of 2008 to improve things for the public and enhance team revenues, he said. Improvements to restrooms, event sponsor areas, bunker suites, and a private club would fit in that category, he said.

The most massive improvements will be put off until after the Big 12 basketball tournament and women’s regional tournament in March 2009 to avoid inconveniencing fans, Anderson said.

Following those tournaments, the Ford Center will have to be closed down for a couple months — at least as far as concert activities are concerned — so major construction work can be done, Anderson said.

During that time, a warm up area will be built in the southeastern part of the Ford Center, a loading dock with a covered shelter will be built and other major construction work will be done.

Improvements will continue until the fall of 2010, with an off site practice facility also being built.

Oklahoma City residents voted March 4 to extend a 1-cent sales tax 15 months to pay for $100 million in improvements to the Ford Center and construction of a new $20 million practice facility for the Sonics’ basketball team.

Randy Ellis: 475-3522, rellis@oklahoman.com

Ford Center renovations to begin this summer | NewsOK.com (http://newsok.com/ford-center-renovations-to-begin-this-summer/article/3264889/?tm=1215014412)