View Full Version : Block 42 update

metro
03-05-2008, 10:38 PM
I couldn't find a good place to put this since B42 was mentioned in over 500 threads none of which were specific to it. Anyhow, I drove by today and snapped a few quick pics. A few owners have moved in now and I imagine they will be 100% done within a month or two. They have been dilegently working on the exterior landscaping the last week or so. They also installed the Block 42 stainless sign out front either yesterday or today. Also Central Ave. Villas across the street is finally moving along at lightning speed.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/block_42_sign1.JPG

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/block_42_sign_2.JPG

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/block_42_landscaping.JPG

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/block_42.JPG

metro
03-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I also am going to post the Central Ave. Villas pics here as well. They are directly across the street from Block 42 and also but up to the back of some of the Deep Deuce Apts on NE 4th.

Partial front view (will try and get better pics this weekend)
http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Central_Ave_Villas.JPG

Back view, from a parking lot that backs up to it at Deep Deuce Apts.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Central_Ave_villas_back_view.JPG

BG918
03-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Block 42 is SO much better than The Centennial and they were both designed by the same architects. The difference? The developers of Block 42 are not Randy Hogan.

betts
03-06-2008, 06:47 AM
I think Block 42 is really good looking. It's hard to tell with Central Ave. Villas. It will be nice to see what it's going to look like eventually, as now it's rather bland looking as a big white box.

mecarr
03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Only problem I have with Block 42 is that design has a slight "futuristic" look to it. It seems cool now, but I hope it doesn't seem dated in 15 years.

metro
03-06-2008, 09:59 AM
"futuristic"? Doesn't seem futuristic to me, seems like most modern construction in most cities, clean and streamlined, can't go wrong with that IMO. If you want to see futuristic construction, look what they are doing in Dubai and most mega-cities (20+million people) in the world. A good example is my DeathStar architecture post in OKC Underground section of this website.

Pete
03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
I think Block 42 looks better in pictures than in the renderings. I really like all the visual interest in terms of colors and materials. It looks more like a little village than just a single building.

As always, thanks for sharing Metro!

Dustbowl
03-08-2008, 03:55 PM
Ate at Cattlemen's last night and it was packed out. They have a waiting room upstairs that held about 100 people waiting for a table. Same great food and service. I did wonder why they would have a huge room full of waiting guests rather than putting some tables in there for peak periods. Maybe the kitchen size has something to do with it.

After dinner, drove into Bricktown and it was active. Had to slam on the brakes twice to avoid hitting groups of bar hoppers running across the street. Use the crosswalks please, especially if your drinking.

Drove into the Maywood/Block 42/ Flatiron area. Since I was critical of the location of Block 42 and the "on the street" location of The Maywood Brownstones, I thought I would give it another look.

Block 42 is a very impressive building. I parked and got out of the car to see what the traffic noise would be like from the highway. It was there, but not as intrusive as I assumed. The quality of the structure and the quality windows should take care of that issue.

Now on to the Brownstones. Again, very impressive design and structure. This has a much more claustrofobic feel to it. I know it's what brownstones are all about, this is just my personal opnion. The fit and finish should be high quality. I will give it very high marks for the views of downtown. They were amazing. I hope the view isn't blocked in future building. I would want to know what they will build in the other Maywood projects before I plunked down the money for one of those.

Flatiron has a ways to go. I can see the concept and it could be impressive. Again, the view of Downtown is very nice.

These are impressive projects that will transform OKC IMHO. I saw many Hummers, Lexus, etc. cars cruising through doing what I was doing. The area does not need anything but upscale priced and high quality projects. Any scaled down versions on the periphery will really hurt the attractiveness of the area. Seems to me that it is attempting to attract single professionals and empty nest high income people. Nothing wrong with that.

It was odd driving and walking at night in the same areas that twenty years ago you would have been robbed, solicited or killed.

OU Adonis
03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
It was odd driving and walking at night in the same areas that twenty years ago you would have been robbed, solicited or killed.

Yeah, I would definately hate getting robbed or killed.

:D

betts
03-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Now on to the Brownstones. Again, very impressive design and structure. This has a much more claustrofobic feel to it. I know it's what brownstones are all about, this is just my personal opnion. The fit and finish should be high quality. I will give it very high marks for the views of downtown. They were amazing. I hope the view isn't blocked in future building. I would want to know what they will build in the other Maywood projects before I plunked down the money for one of those.

The Maywood lofts on second street will be four stories high, so they won't block the view from the fourth floor of the Maywood Brownstones. There are a couple of projects planned for the south side of 2nd street, between Walnut and the railroad, but I do not know how tall they are supposed to be. Right now, from the fourth floor of the largest Brownstones, you've got a great view of the CBD, and if you can look up at the fourth floor, there's a great 15' x 25' outdoor patio, complete with fireplace. The 3 story outdoor patios give a limited view of downtown, but you can still see a little.

Because of the Build Block construction, with 8 inches of concrete and 3 inches of foam on either side, the interiors are really quiet. I've been in one when the train goes by and you can hear nothing.

The Decorator Showhouse will be open next month, which should give everyone a great idea of what different things can be done with the Maywood Brownstones, since four of them will be decorated, and it supports the symphony, so it's a great cause.

Dustbowl
03-09-2008, 06:08 AM
The Maywood lofts on second street will be four stories high, so they won't block the view from the fourth floor of the Maywood Brownstones. There are a couple of projects planned for the south side of 2nd street, between Walnut and the railroad, but I do not know how tall they are supposed to be. Right now, from the fourth floor of the largest Brownstones, you've got a great view of the CBD, and if you can look up at the fourth floor, there's a great 15' x 25' outdoor patio, complete with fireplace. The 3 story outdoor patios give a limited view of downtown, but you can still see a little.

Because of the Build Block construction, with 8 inches of concrete and 3 inches of foam on either side, the interiors are really quiet. I've been in one when the train goes by and you can hear nothing.

The Decorator Showhouse will be open next month, which should give everyone a great idea of what different things can be done with the Maywood Brownstones, since four of them will be decorated, and it supports the symphony, so it's a great cause.

Thanks Betts. I'm definately going to the Decorator Showroom function to check these out. I will be the guy with the vampire fangs, dark cape and a vote NO button on my lapel. :evilsmile

betts
03-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks Betts. I'm definately going to the Decorator Showroom function to check these out. I will be the guy with the vampire fangs, dark cape and a vote NO button on my lapel. :evilsmile

I think everyone should go. I love to snoop, so I'm sorry there's not a Block 42 model open. I'm hoping there will be one for The Hill and Central Ave. Villas, although I've already decided on Maywood Park. I like the energy efficiency and noise control with the Build Block, they've got heat pumps, and I like the layout. I'll be able to walk to work if I want as well, so it's all good.

There's going to be a two story building just west of the Showhouse townhouses (which you can tell, because the brick just stops at what will be the roof of that building, and it's going to have a coffee shop in it. It seems like there are a lot of coffee shops planned, but that one will be right on the pocket part there, which sounds like a great place to hang out.

Dustbowl
03-09-2008, 07:55 AM
I think everyone should go. I love to snoop, so I'm sorry there's not a Block 42 model open. I'm hoping there will be one for The Hill and Central Ave. Villas, although I've already decided on Maywood Park. I like the energy efficiency and noise control with the Build Block, they've got heat pumps, and I like the layout. I'll be able to walk to work if I want as well, so it's all good.

There's going to be a two story building just west of the Showhouse townhouses (which you can tell, because the brick just stops at what will be the roof of that building, and it's going to have a coffee shop in it. It seems like there are a lot of coffee shops planned, but that one will be right on the pocket part there, which sounds like a great place to hang out.

I would like to tour Block 42 also. Man, you guys are going to turn me into an Urbanite before this is over. I have to admit that it was exciting to park on the street Friday night and look at the CBD all lit up. I was imaginig sitting on my patio and hearing the sounds of the game at The Brick. I used to do that when I was kid. I lived one block north of the fairgrounds and could hear the PA, crack of the bat and the crowds from the old 89'ers games. I would open the windows of my room to hear it. I could also hear the sounds of the State Fair and if the wind was right, I could smell the corn dogs. You could also smell the old packing plant down at the Stockyards. Does anybody remember that? Whew!!!!

betts
03-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I've imagined looking over at the Brick and noticing there's a game. Then, turning to my husband and saying, "Want to walk down to the ballpark? There's a game tonight." Or, "want to walk down to Bricktown and get coffee/lunch/dinner? Want to walk to the Harkins Theatre to see a movie?" Or, best of all, "Want to walk over to the Ford? The _______'s are playing the Mavs tonight."

mecarr
03-09-2008, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=betts;131829

There's going to be a two story building just west of the Showhouse townhouses (which you can tell, because the brick just stops at what will be the roof of that building, and it's going to have a coffee shop in it. It seems like there are a lot of coffee shops planned, but that one will be right on the pocket part there, which sounds like a great place to hang out.[/QUOTE]

What are the Showhouse Townhouses? I've never heard of this development...

CCOKC
03-09-2008, 11:48 AM
She' talking about the Symphony Designer Showhouse. Every year the big fundraiser for the symphony is to take a really nice house in town and turn it over to different designers to show off their skills. You pay somewhere around $10 to tour the houses. Usually their is also a group of landscape designers as well. I'll be interested to see if they do any landscaping this year.

Dustbowl, my grandmother lived in Linwood when I was growing up and I could hear the engines of the car races at the fairgrounds on a summer's night. For some reason the sound of races (from a distance) is a soothing sound for me even still.

Dustbowl
03-09-2008, 12:09 PM
She' talking about the Symphony Designer Showhouse. Every year the big fundraiser for the symphony is to take a really nice house in town and turn it over to different designers to show off their skills. You pay somewhere around $10 to tour the houses. Usually their is also a group of landscape designers as well. I'll be interested to see if they do any landscaping this year.

Dustbowl, my grandmother lived in Linwood when I was growing up and I could hear the engines of the car races at the fairgrounds on a summer's night. For some reason the sound of races (from a distance) is a soothing sound for me even still.

WOW, My Grandparents lived in Reed Park/Linwood and so did I. I attended Linwood Elementary. Most of my friends lived in Linwood also. We used to play hockey with a tennis ball on 19th St. with homemade chicken wire goals. We were HUGE Blazers fans and made most of the games. You are right, we always listened to the engines from the Speedway. Also went there quite a bit. There was a guy who drove a Studebaker race car #54, we rooted him on all night even though he usually got lapped. Memory lane.....

kevinpate
03-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I like this look. thanks for the pictures