View Full Version : County Assessor ads new features to property website

metro
03-05-2008, 08:48 AM
Okla. County assessor adds new features on Web site
Journal Record
March 5, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY –The Oklahoma County Assessor’s Web site has won an international award for its design, tools and accessibility, and now the office has added several new features to the site.

The site offers detailed information on any property in Oklahoma County including records, sale dates and prices, market value, assessed value, owners, a legal description and photos, among other features.

The new additions to the site include linking the county’s property data to Microsoft Virtual Earth and Yahoo! Maps and offering 45-degree-angle views of land and properties in the county. “The new updates will provide greater access to different layers of property records that have never before been available, including the Tax Increment Financing districts and never-seen-before one foot-pixel-high-resolution-aerial-images,” said Oklahoma County Assessor Leonard Sullivan. “Also included is a new center-line street layer that can be used for intersection searches and will include all the new streets, also a part of a joint project with the United States Geological Survey.”

Larry Stein, chief deputy at the assessor’s office, said the site was first launched in 2000, when the office started putting properties records online. In 2001, the office began putting the mapping database from the Geographic Information Systems online. “We just continued to make improvements and improvements and more improvements all the time,” Stein said. About three years ago the site won the international Environmental Systems Research Institute award for outstanding use of GIS mapping systems.

In addition to the site upgrades, Stein said the assessor’s office will hold a series of training seminars for the public to better acquaint people with the new features.

wsucougz
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
It is a good site - way ahead of most any other city, certainly my native Seattle(King County). I use it daily.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-05-2008, 08:50 AM
It's stalkeriffic!

wsucougz
03-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, I mainly use it to see how large Doug is living.

FritterGirl
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Oh, yeah! Let's start posting links to all of our local celebrities' homes since they don't deserve privacy at all. Nope, not at all. We can just change our name to okcstalk.com!

Karried
03-05-2008, 09:56 AM
It is sort of freaky to know that anyone with your name can look up your address and what you paid for your home!

You can go to Zillow.com and add an address as well... sigh... Big Brother

metro
03-05-2008, 10:23 AM
It is sort of freaky to know that anyone with your name can look up your address and what you paid for your home!

You can go to Zillow.com and add an address as well... sigh... Big Brother

This has always been public information, it's just becoming more easily accessible (definitely not "big brother", if anything blame corporate america, after all Google and MSN are the ones with this technology). As someone pointed out, Oklahoma County's site is one of the best in the nation and you have been able to search a property owner, know their taxes and how much they paid for their house since 2001 online. This is a great tool for realtors and real estate investors, when I was a realtor after I graduated high school in the late 90's, we still had access to this stuff publically. Before that, you could go to the county courthouse or assessor's office and get this. Nothing new really. Google Earth and MSN Live Earth only added satellite capabilities. This is also a good tool for potential home buyers so they know what their property taxes will be as well as if they are overpaying for the house or not and how much negotiation room they have.

Heck, they've been selling "Maps to the Stars" of celebrities homes in LA for years. This is nothing new people.