View Full Version : Anyone on here have a kiteboard?

Chefdavies
03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
As in kiteboards etc??? I see ppl out at lake hefner all the time. I just ordered the "training" kit and expect it anyday now. Just wondering (bascially fishing the waters) if anyone was on here that was into this sport and could show me some pointers.

CCOKC
03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
I saw a documentary about this on OETA not long ago. This sport looks very dangerous. Please be careful.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-04-2008, 08:34 PM
As in kiteboards etc??? I see ppl out at lake hefner all the time. I just ordered the "training" kit and expect it anyday now. Just wondering (bascially fishing the waters) if anyone was on here that was into this sport and could show me some pointers.

I've wanted to try kiteboarding for a while now...What's a "training kit" consist of, and where does a person obtain one?

ultimatesooner
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
and how much did you pay?

Chefdavies
03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
I just ordered mine. The kit I'm gettin comes with a DVD, and just a kite. Basically from what I understand you "learn" on the ground first. How to control the kite, etc. I'll let you know how it all looks, when I get it, possible friday or saturday I hope!!!

kmf563
03-05-2008, 02:00 PM
I want to play too! Let us know how it goes chef. I don't want to kill myself! I'll let you go first...

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Let me know when you go...I'll tape it :D

Seriously though...How much was this "kit" and where can I check it out?

Chefdavies
03-05-2008, 02:59 PM
They range anywhere from 140ish to 160ish. Depending on the size of kite and dvd, you know extras. No videos, I would really hate to see myself on youtube when I face plant into louie's patio haha. I know Sun & Ski on may use to have equipment but I'm not sure anymore.

Kiteboard.net
Bestkiteboarding.com
realkiteboarding.com

You should see some of the videos on youtube.com....guys flying what looks to be the length of a football field!!!

CuatrodeMayo
03-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Awesome...I have always been a fan of kites and I really want to try this.

ultimatesooner
03-06-2008, 08:59 AM
I looked into taking lessons a couple of years ago and the closest place was south padre. Someone in OKC could probably make some $$ if they started giving lessons

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
How much money?

Chefdavies
03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Well I would NOT suggest ordering your kites, boards or anything from Airushkiteboarding.com....My order shows it sent out on the 3rd of this month. According to there shipping dept the package was sent out last monday but hasn't moved since. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Sounds like somebody in their their kiteboard shipping dept needs waterboarded.

ultimatesooner
03-10-2008, 12:00 PM
does you starter kit include the kite, board, harness and everything?

Chefdavies
03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
No its just the kite, lines bar, and bag also a DVD. I'm gettin cranky, on a beautiful day such as today I would love to have been outside learning.

Chefdavies
03-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Got the kite, went out yesterday...the most ironic thing happened. I needed more wind. Can you imagine that, someone from oklahoma asking for MORE wind. I'm going back out today. Its fun

ultimatesooner
03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
awesome, when you gonna hit the water for the 1st time?

Chefdavies
03-14-2008, 09:50 AM
When it gets warmer, darn oklahoma weather warm, cold, warm cold. I didnt want to buy a wet suit but might have to. I am waiting on an email back to purchase a real kite. I have pictures of the trainer, ill post soon.

Chefdavies
03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Just an update. I'm going out to the fields in edmond about everyday now to "train." It takes a bit of time to learn how to get these things to get up in the air and turn. Hardest part is to not try to "turn" the kite. What I'm sayin is not to try to turn the kite as in turning a wheel, its more of a pulling. I'm ordering a board/kite package this weekend. Hopefully it stays somewhat warm.

vandrewski
04-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Hey Chef, good luck with the new sport. I'm jealous, been wanting to try it for years. I bought a trainer kite a while back, just a small 2m one. Had a lot of fun with it, but never moved on from there. I live in Azerbaijan now, right on the coast of the Caspian. I thought when I moved here there might be a chance to try kiteboarding, and maybe windsurfing too, but it turns out the water is not something you'ld want to swim in, unless you get far away from the city. Let us know if you find anyone in OKC willing to teach. I'd love to get in a lesson when I'm home some time.

Chefdavies
04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm lacking my board and Helmet( girlfriend wants me to wear one HAHA). I got my kite used (by recemundation from AIRUSHKITBOARDING.com.) Got everything else from zombiekites.com. I told these companies I would pass along their names. I keep trying to "win" a board on ebay, but I think I'll just buy one from sun and ski sports (keep the money in oklahoma). I think this weekend I will head out to a lake or very soft field to get the "feel" of how this all goes. I also bought two dvds and found them very helpful, also kinda scary. I know of no one in oklahoma that gives lessons, I seem to always miss the guys at lake Hefner. I'll post something after this weekend, If i'm not in the hospital haha.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
04-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Well, after this weekend, YOU can give lessons :D

Chefdavies
05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Okay, so yesterday I took kite out for its maiden voyage. All I can say is if you get into this sport, WORKOUT first. Luckly, I try to workout, but I can tell i need some more muscles. It was quite simple to get the kite up and flying, but when you get one of those great Oklahoma wind gusts be ready. I only got one gust that I really got scared on. Picked me up about a foot in the air and "flew" me about 3 ft. I was alot of fun thought. I highly recommend watching videos on youtube, or buying them. They are a great help, my personal fav is "boost." Well hopefully next week i'll be up on the board.

CuatrodeMayo
05-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Good stuff chef. I am finally moving back to OKC and I would like to get into it. Years ago I did sport kites. Lots of fun.