View Full Version : Election Results

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 09:01 PM
No DVD, we will mostly turn overnight into Sonics fans. I have been a rabid Mavs fan for 8 years now but all bets are off. I never, never, never dreamed I would be a fan of the NBA OKC whatevers. I always wanted to move to a city that had some sort of major league team and now it looks as if they are coming to me.
AWESOME BEYOND WORDS!!

Awww, seems everybody is gonna turning into Sonic fans except me :(

Redskin 70
03-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Im glad for OKC that it passed. Even if my friend Carl wrote a piece against it.:tiphat:

CCOKC
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Give it some time. We're all just excited to have our own team. I have always followed players in the NBA, first Larry Bird and now Dirk. I will now have a team that I will have to love good or bad.

OKCDrummer77
What do you suppose is going to happen when the Sonics play the Hornets?

AFCM
OK, I'm a nothing. I hate everything. You're right. :bow:

Go back and read your posts. You're extremely bitter and hateful. It's one thing to post your concerns, but you're simply hurling contemptuous nonsense.

AFCM
03-04-2008, 09:06 PM

DVDFreaker stays home.

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Probably all the fans will cheer for both teams since Hornets played here, you know, I wonder if it wasn't for the Hornets coming here temporarily, we might never have a NBA team here permantaly...

metro
Well, if you get free passes to the games, why not give them away to a kid who might enjoy the game? Why would you carry water for the Clay's of the world and then not pay for your tickets to help support your vote? Oh I get it.....

Go back to Seattle troll. There not going to give VIP media passes to a kid for philantrophy, teams already give out tickets to Boys&Girls Club and other organizations for charity.

CCOKC

It's funny how things like that work. We'll give the Hornets a big welcome and then yell at Chris Paul and Tyson Chandler when they convert a mean alley-oop.

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 09:08 PM
DVDFreaker stays home.

Haha, yeah, sadly, I will only go to Magic-Sonic games :(

AFCM
03-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Haha, yeah, sadly, I will only go to Magic-Sonic games :(

One more open seat for me.

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 09:11 PM
One more open seat for me.

Yeah, oh well! So enjoy! :)

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Go back to Seattle troll. There not going to give VIP media passes to a kid for philantrophy, teams already give out tickets to Boys&Girls Club and other organizations for charity.

I'm not a troll, I'm a hater. Please get it right. :rolleyes:

AFCM
03-04-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm not a troll, I'm a hater. Please get it right. :rolleyes:

Hater or not, we still love you. We on the YES side just disagree with your reasoning.

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Hater or not, we still love you. We on the YES side just disagree with your reasoning.

Fair enough. Let's move on to the next issue. For example: The Core to Shore idea is something I'm interested in. I'm favoring the idea.

okclee
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Here's a question, Will the "No Voters" , support the Sonics in Okc?? Do you think that the "NO Voters" will go or watch , with a rooting interenst in the Okc Sonics??

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 09:26 PM
Here's a question, Will the "No Voters" , support the Sonics in Okc?? Do you think that the "NO Voters" will go or watch , with a rooting interenst in the Okc Sonics??

Most likely no, the no voters are most likely not fans of basketball

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm a baseball guy. The fact that I voted no would not keep me from going to games. I will spend more money at The Brick though. Personal preference.

I will root for the OKC team. I just don't like the way.......

Nevermind.

bornhere
03-04-2008, 09:30 PM
I can tell you I won't, for exactly the reason DVDFreaker says. I don't care anything about basketball. I never went to a Hornets game, and I never watch the NBA on TV.

I used to watch the NCAA twenty or so years ago, mostly Tulsa when K Sampson was there, but I haven't followed college ball in years.

(Edit: that was more than twenty years ago, I guess... more like 27.)

jbrown84
03-04-2008, 09:31 PM
How about the Gaylord Family Cagers? OR the MAPS Mobsters OR the Clay's Crusaders? All solid ideas JBrown.

Um, what does this have to do with me?

I thought Mayor Mick said this would not cause a tax increase? If so, why am I paying an extra cent in sales tax? I wish you guys would get your stories straight.

You are ALREADY PAYING IT. The tax is not going up!

I can't wait till the 10 o'clock news to see what Mr. Glover has to say!

I was at the Obama watch party at the Bricktown Brewery and he was there. Not surprisingly, he was just as obnoxious about Obama as he was about this. He was trying to dispell his lies upon the people at my table, and I kept silent for a while, until he pulled out the "well, Aubrey McClendon gave a whole bunch of money to Swift Boat Veterans For Truth!" excuse. I'm like, "do you research the political activity of every business owner you patronize?" He had nothing to say to that. "Nice try," I said. So he walked away and didn't come back.

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Um, what does this have to do with me?

You are ALREADY PAYING IT. The tax is not going up!

I was at the Obama watch party at the Bricktown Brewery and he was there. Not surprisingly, he was just as obnoxious about Obama as he was about this. He was trying to dispell his lies upon the people at my table, and I kept silent for a while, until he pulled out the "well, Aubrey McClendon gave a whole bunch of money to Swift Boat Veterans For Truth!" excuse. I'm like, "do you research the political activity of every business owner you patronize?" He had nothing to say to that. "Nice try," I said. So he walked away and didn't come back.

You told me to come up with some solid ideas. I gave it a shot.

McClendon and T. Boone were huge backers of the Swift Boaters. That's just a fact. What's wrong with tyring to "follow the money". Fact-based thinking does have a place at the table.

bornhere
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Y'know, I do research the political activity of business I patronize. That's why I try to avoid Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Promised Land Milk (new to OKC, but it's been around Texas) and several other businesses. I don't care if someone votes Republican, but someone tied to right-wing extremism or political dirty tricks is not going to get my business if I can help it.

SouthsideSooner
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
I can tell you I won't, for exactly the reason DVDFreaker says. I don't care anything about basketball. I never went to a Hornets game, and I never watch the NBA on TV.

I used to watch the NCAA twenty or so years ago, mostly Tulsa when K Sampson was there, but I haven't followed college ball in years.

(Edit: that was more than twenty years ago, I guess... more like 27.)

K Sampson was never at Tulsa but imaginary memories are kinda cool....

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm a baseball guy. The fact that I voted no would not keep me from going to games. I will spend more money at The Brick though. Personal preference.

I will root for the OKC team. I just don't like the way.......

Nevermind.

What is the Brick? I never heard of it

okclee
03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I think he meant Nolan Richardson at Tulsa.

okclee
03-04-2008, 09:42 PM
You know the Brick, the other stadium what was built with the 1 penny tax.

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Y'know, I do research the political activity of business I patronize. That's why I try to avoid Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Promised Land Milk (new to OKC, but it's been around Texas) and several other businesses. I don't care if someone votes Republican, but someone tied to right-wing extremism or political dirty tricks is not going to get my business if I can help it.

You have every right to do that in this country. Thank Goodness.

OKCDrummer77
03-04-2008, 09:43 PM
What is the Brick? I never heard of it

Bricktown Ballpark.

bornhere
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
You're correct. It was Nolan Richardson.

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
You know the Brick, the other stadium what was built with the 1 penny tax.

And which was built right from the beginning and hasn't kept coming back to the well for more money.

Nobody has answered the question: Who was responsible for the Ford Center in the beginning and why did they screw it up so bad that we have to extend sales taxes to fix it. I want names. Could it be the same people who pushed the "fix" for it? Why trust them?

jbrown84
03-04-2008, 09:50 PM

That's great, but what about the KFC you ate at yesterday? What does that franchise owner contribute to politically? I doubt you would know in such a case. It's a decent argument, and you're welcome to boycott Clay and Aubrey's NBA team, but this vote is about IMPROVEMENTS to a city owned facility, that charges rent to tenants. The benefits to OKC far outweigh what impact Aubrey McClendon might have on politics.

JWil
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
OKC Footlongs, a tie to the Sonic Corp...and watch the female attendance rise. Giggity, giggity, goo.

The NBA is against those kind of direct ties between team name and sponsor. See how the Grizzlies ownership group wanted to re-name them the Memphis Express, ala FedEx, which is based in Memphis.

And yes, I believe Thunderbirds is the best option for OKC. For the reasons listed above, plus there's no other major pro team with the name.

okclee
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
The Ford center was almost never built to begin with, because it was the last project that was part of the MAPS 1. The city used the remaining money to build basically a shell of an arena due to the lack of funds. Now with todays vote we are going to finish the project that was started years ago.

Also the Brick did come back and add player parking areas and a practice area on the east side, that was after the fact.

jbrown84
03-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Nobody has answered the question: Who was responsible for the Ford Center in the beginning and why did they screw it up so bad that we have to extend sales taxes to fix it. I want names. Could it be the same people who pushed the "fix" for it? Why trust them?

No one ever said it needed fixing. It needs finishing. It was said from the very beginning that it was a "starter" arena since we didn't have a major tenant at the time.

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:55 PM
The Ford center was almost never built to begin with, because it was the last project that was part of the MAPS 1. The city used the remaining money to build basically a shell of an arena due to the lack of funds. Now with todays vote we are going to finish the project that was started years ago.

Also the Brick did come back and add player parking areas and a practice area on the east side, that was after the fact.

Did we extend a sales tax to pay for it? How was it funded?

okclee
03-04-2008, 09:57 PM
It was funded by the city, the city used money in the general fund.

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
It was funded by the city, the city used money in the general fund.

Thanks, Do you know who owns the parking garage next to The Brick?

Easy180
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
I just hope the upgrades are finished by the time The Wiggles come back to rock the house

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
No one ever said it needed fixing. It needs finishing. It was said from the very beginning that it was a "starter" arena since we didn't have a major tenant at the time.

OK, thanks.

bornhere
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
The benefits to OKC far outweigh what impact Aubrey McClendon might have on politics.

In this particular case, I think that's debatable. McClendon's impact seems to be rather significant - more than yours or mine by a long shot.

But you're right - I can't know the politics of every single person I do business with. But if I do know someone is trying to profoundly affect this nation's direction in ways I consider detrimental, I'm not going to give them my money.

I've chosen Target over Wal-Mart for years. Sometimes I'll go to Home Depot, but only if Lowe's doesn't have what I need.

And again - I'm not going to refuse to do business with someone just because they're a Republican. It's got to be more than that.

jbrown84
03-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I also favor Target over Walmart for various reasons.

Sure it's debatable, but I disagree. If Aubrey contributes to political campaigns, its going to be with money he made from other ventures, not his share of a NBA team that will be only marginally profitable.

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Is anybody worried we won't have a NBA team even the tax passed?

bornhere
03-04-2008, 10:11 PM
If we're going to continue the politics/business discussion, maybe it should be in a new topic somewhere.

As for DVDFreaker's question... we made a bid for a NHL expansion team many years ago. It was a very generous offer, as I recall - in fact, the best offer from any of the candidate cities. The NHL turned it down anyway. Anyone recall more details of that?

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 10:12 PM

YES.

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 10:13 PM
If we're going to continue the politics/business discussion, maybe it should be in a new topic somewhere.

As for DVDFreaker's question... we made a bid for a NHL expansion team many years ago. It was a very generous offer, as I recall - in fact, the best offer from any of the candidate cities. The NHL turned it down anyway. Anyone recall more details of that?

Really? I am not a fan of hockey but I never heard of that

okclee
03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
There was also a bid to get the MLS to Edmond just a couple of years ago. That too was turned down.

CrimsonOberon
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM

Not one bit.

If the NBA doesn't come here, we will still have an arena that will make us competitive with any city in this region. Plus, the tax will end sooner because we won't have to build a practice facility.

To be honest, I don't see any reason why I should be worried. The Hornets will be leaving New Orleans if the attendance doesn't pick up, and if the Sonics aren't here I have a feeling the Hornets would jump at the chance to return. There is also the possibility of a franchise swap.

I just don't see for what reason I should worry.

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Really? I am not a fan of hockey but I never heard of that

Hockey trivia question: Who was the best hockey player to ever play a game in OKC?

DVDFreaker
03-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Hockey trivia question: Who was the best hockey player to ever play a game in OKC?

Uhh, Wayne Grezesaly?

Dustbowl
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Uhh, Wayne Grezesaly?

Bobby Orr. He was sent down to the Blazers after an injury and played in two games. I saw one of them. :bow:

I also saw Freckles Brown ride Tornado, the most famous bull in the world at the State Fair Arena. That's when we had The National Finals Rodeo.

Those were the days.....

jbrown84
03-04-2008, 10:35 PM
Maybe the NFR will come back now that we're a major league city.

betts
03-05-2008, 01:53 AM
betts!!!! I've been waiting for you..... we did it. We did it!
I know!!! Beyond excited. I had a birthday party tonight, so couldn't be at the "virtual watch party" either. I'd forgotten my phone at home, so I missed the call from a friend telling me the vote had passed. My not so much a huge fan of the NBA as I am husband hadn't even turned on the television to find out who'd won, so I came right here knowing I'd get the results the quickest.

All the readers at the DOK website thank the people of OKC for passing the tax proposal and finally shutting me up over there;)

Doug Loudenback
03-05-2008, 02:19 AM
I know!!! Beyond excited. I had a birthday party tonight, so couldn't be at the "virtual watch party" either. I'd forgotten my phone at home, so I missed the call from a friend telling me the vote had passed. My not so much a huge fan of the NBA as I am husband hadn't even turned on the television to find out who'd won, so I came right here knowing I'd get the results the quickest.

All the readers at the DOK website thank the people of OKC for passing the tax proposal and finally shutting me up over there;)
Uh, my friend, somehow I just don't think that's ever gonna happen, nor should it! Start looking for your new downtown home, girl!

The only thing that would have made the Watch Party at Nonna's better for me tonight would have been to see you, Karrie and others, there as each of you exploded (figuratively) with joy! Man, those would have been some great pics!

betts
03-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Uh, my friend, somehow I just don't think that's ever gonna happen, nor should it! Start looking for your new downtown home, girl!

The only thing that would have made the Watch Party at Nonna's better for me tonight would have been to see you, Karrie and others, there as each of you exploded (figuratively) with joy! Man, those would have been some great pics!

I've found my home. I've just got to get that all important agreement from the DH. As I told a friend the other day, we're at the stage where he's like a fly in the spider web. He's all wrapped up and knows he's caught, but he still struggles a little from time to time. He's not too excited about giving up the swimming pool, but I'm pretty determined.

If it hadn't been a couple of dear friends' birthday party, I might have managed to deal with my nervousness and show up at Nonna's, but I knew I'd hurt their feelings if I didn't show at their party.

flintysooner
03-05-2008, 05:45 AM
I've just got to get that all important agreement from the DH.
This is why husbands have offices.

andy157
03-05-2008, 09:29 PM
What do you suppose is going to happen when the Sonics play the Hornets?We will cheer for the Sonics to SWAT the Hornets.

Doug Loudenback
03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
We will cheer for the Sonics to SWAT the Hornets.
Well .... if and when the Sonics (or other name of the team owned by PBC) signs a contract with Oklahoma City, sure, in a heartbeat. But, while the team remains in a contract with Seattle and not Oklahoma City, I'm still supporting my first love! But ... not thereafter! Does that make me a two-timer? :dizzy:

andy157
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Well .... if and when the Sonics (or other name of the team owned by PBC) signs a contract with Oklahoma City, sure, in a heartbeat. But, while the team remains in a contract with Seattle and not Oklahoma City, I'm still supporting my first love! But ... not thereafter! Does that make me a two-timer? :dizzy:I'm sorry Doug, but I'm not qualified to answer that question. You will have to ask your therapist.

mecarr
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
How about the "Oklahoma City 89ers" in honor of people who made The Oklahoma Land Run of 1889 which opened the Oklahoma Territory for settlement.

metro
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I really like the 89ers, I think it's historic, makes sense, and is not hickish. There are the Philly 76ers (also historic), San Fran 49ers, why not have the OKC 89ers. I love it. Hopefully the owners to rights for the 89ers name of former AAA baseball team wouldn't try any lawsuits or anything.