View Full Version : Tornado Warning OKC

Karried
03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Hey all, get off the computer if you live in OKC 1-40 ... possible tornado near the Fairgrounds... I hate these sirens! boohoooooooooo - I'm scared

Karried
03-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Get away from the windows guys.. high winds near downtown... East of the fairgrounds.... good luck to everyone!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-02-2008, 06:59 PM
I hate these sirens! boohoooooooooo - I'm scared

Okie n00b.

:p

bandnerd
03-02-2008, 07:27 PM
We took the kitties and the violins downstairs to the empty apartment. Our neighbors and their cats came, too.

I don't get too jumpy until those sirens blow and they say "downtown OKC." But dang, that caught me off guard.

Karried
03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Okay, I'm back ... ha.ha.. I always unplug the computer during lightening and ready myself for a trip to the shelter, just in case.

I always worry about peeps here.. I heard downtown and instantly thought of my buddies and hoped they would be okay.. and then I ran to my shelter... in sympathy. lol

I'm so not ready for Spring!

MadMonk
03-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Somehow I knew we'd be hearing from you tonight Karrie, either via the Internet or the sound of your scream. :D Your sympathy shelter run is too funny!

Dave Cook
03-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Typical news weather 4 warnings. Lots of sirens and nothing more than three minutes of rain. Yippee.

metro
03-03-2008, 07:30 AM
Yeah, I was surprised to hear the tornado sirens from our downtown OKC condo. First time ever with a tornado warning down there. Good thing we were surrounded by 12 inch concrete and steel walls though!

kevinpate
03-03-2008, 07:34 AM
I ignore sirens. If Gary isn't shouting Val's name 3 times in 2.3 seconds, it ain't a real storm in my book.

Karried
03-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Ha,ha.... You guys are hardcore .... it's okay, you're probably used to tornadoes.

I'll bet in an earthquake, you'd jump out of a second story window ... lol

kmf563
03-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Karrie I have to admit I was a little nervous last night. But that was because I was inside the Ford center ( Rockin my butt off btw ) and had no clue what was going on. I got a text message that it was headed downtown and then realized my baby was home alone and I had no idea what was happening! I should have called you. I should have known you would be glued to the tv and would know exactly where it was! Note to self for next time. haha. You will be my weather girl if I'm ever stuck inside somewhere like that during bad weather.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Ha,ha.... You guys are hardcore .... it's okay, you're probably used to tornadoes.

I'll bet in an earthquake, you'd jump out of a second story window ... lol

I was sitting 20 feet away from over 1,000 lbs of high explosives during a 7.4 in Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley in (I think) '92.

Jesse Owens has NOTHING on my 100 yd. dash time that day...And I ran it on epileptic sand!

Karried
03-03-2008, 07:55 AM
I should have called you.

oh no! Of course ... call me anytime and next time leave your 'baby' with us!

I was sitting 20 feet away from over 1,000 lbs of high explosives during a 7.4

Oh Lord, yes, anything over a 7, I'm running, jumping and pushing you out of the way... lol

I like that at least you know a tornado might be coming.... an earthquake (surprise!!) is a pure shot of adrenaline.. especially in the middle of the night!

OUman
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
I went storm chasing yesterday with my freinds. We didn't see much but the cloud-to-ground lightning was spectacular at times, and yes we got caught in some really heavy rain and small hail.

On the way back we heard the tornado warnings for downtown and the east part of the city. I thought Channel 9 did a really good job of it, deciding to cut off to regular programming when they did.

Funny thing is when we were having dinner in Anadarko we got news of the tornado warning for Anadarko itself lol. We headed outside looking to see if we could spot anything, but we only saw some small lowerings and lots of rain. Eventually we found out that it was likely just a small spin-up along the leading edge of the squall line much like what happened over Oklahoma City. We kept close to the restaurant though because they had a walk-in freezer, which is actually a safe place.

There's a reason the forecasters interrupt your regular programming for these things, especially at night when you have blinding rain. Such breif touchdowns have caused damage before, in some cases pretty bad damage, and they can form and touchdown much faster than you think.

venture
03-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I figured yesterday everyone and their brother would be out chasing, and with the likelihood that they would just be the quick spinups - eh, i got better things to waste gas on. :)

The Oklahoma County warning yesterday was an unusual one with the configuration of the storm. KWTV's MOAR system definitely did a good job showing the little curl on the front side of the storm. The guys in Norman made the right call issuing the warning, even though nothing came to the surface. Night time, rain wrapped,...all around not a good situation.

The event yesterday was fun to watch from home...though I'm sure I'll get dragged out before too much longer. Though March last year was good for me and the guys I chase with. :)

chekkie
03-03-2008, 12:02 PM
what a shock...another pointless scarefest from the local thunder ****. they seriously told us what they WEREN'T seeing, and that there "may not be a tornado, but it's highly possible..." it didn't stop the damn air raid sirens in MWC from sounding for 35mins...grrr!

metro
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
yeah, and if one of the circulations that they were watching did touch down for just a second, and happened to hit your house or someone you knew, you'd be complaining why didn't they sound the alarms in advance, even though there wasn't anything that hit the ground yet. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Even though the alarms went off, I clearly heard them say numerous times, we haven't seen a tornado yet, but we've seen some rotations lowering.

OUman
03-03-2008, 03:13 PM
what a shock...another pointless scarefest from the local thunder ****. they seriously told us what they WEREN'T seeing, and that there "may not be a tornado, but it's highly possible..." it didn't stop the damn air raid sirens in MWC from sounding for 35mins...grrr!

It's obvious you know nothing about weather here or you wouldn't be posting such statements...

Have some gratitude for the people who try to warn you about such things.

I figured yesterday everyone and their brother would be out chasing, and with the likelihood that they would just be the quick spinups - eh, i got better things to waste gas on. :)

We did have some discrete cells out in western OK yesterday and there were actual tornadoes, so it wasn't just all brief spin-ups. ;) We actually saw part of the lowering on the storm near Gotebo. The main activity of course was way north of I-40. It was a typical March chase.

chekkie
03-04-2008, 12:12 PM
oh, please. i've lived in Oklahoma for 32 years, and have survived many a tornado, twister, hook echo, hidden rotation, and mesocyclone. i understand that our weather can take a turn for the worst at any given moment this time of year, but when they have people in the metro area terrified because of some rotation in Davis County, yes i have a problem with that. they said "a tornado" was 2/3 of a mile from my house, heading straight for me, but you know what happened? it rained, and it got windy, and THAT'S ALL. they've been cultivating the fear of weather since May 3, 1999. you think the local meteorologists don't know that they're the rock stars of local television!? wake up, people. a fearful populous is the most easily controlled--

OUman
03-04-2008, 02:28 PM
^Well first off, I'm not easily controlled, and second, no, I don't think the local meteorologists think they're rock stars. They give warnings to alert people, that's all. That's their job, and that's why they're there. If you don't like watching them or hearing them, that's fine with me, but don't belittle them by saying all they do is scare people.

If they hadn't warned people on May 3rd, there would have been many more people dead. It's because of their work and the storm chasers who help them that even though the number of tornadoes has increased, the number of deaths is significantly down from years past.

And they have no agenda, so no, they're not trying to control anyone. If you don't want to watch their coverage, switch the channel anytime. A viewing area is a viewing area, and if there is a tornadic storm 20 miles west of Oklahoma City which falls in their viewing area, they have an obligation to cover it, especially if it's targeting a populated area.

If this were politicians or some Hollywood fanatics you were talking about, I could believe it, but we're talking about local meteorologists. Sure, some local TV stations cash in on the ratings game covering such events, but there are a few stations that actually switch to regular programming once they have informed the public enough.

flintysooner
03-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I am old enough to remember when there were no tv warnings at all. We'd just head for the neighbor's old cellar if we thought there might be danger. TV reports are much better than that.

And, yes, I have been in actual tornadoes and survived but I don't want to do it again.

Harry Volkman at WKY gave the first tornado warning in the early 50's. Some of us think that isn't so long ago.

chekkie
03-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Sure, some local TV stations cash in on the ratings game covering such events

That's not quite true...they ALL do. spring time in OK is like May Sweeps for the locals. i'm not belittling what they do...in a place like this, with the most unpredictably severe weather possibly anywhere on Earth, they serve a very valuable purpose. but that doesn't mean they don't go a little overboard sometimes. telling us to take cover when we really don't need to; telling us to just "stay inside" when they predict snow/ice. it's a bit much sometimes, is it not? i've been through enough weather here to know that when it's bad, take cover and DON'T GO CHASING IT, and when it doesn't seem too bad, it usually isn't. that's all i've got.

OUman
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
^I have in the past and will fully agree now as well that sometimes the weather coverage does get a bit too much and they shouldn't beat a dead horse. But in conditions like we had on Sunday night, it can get bad in a hurry, that's all I was trying to say.

And about chasing, well, I'm a meteorology graduate and I go with freinds who know what they're doing. We all observe road rules and don't chase alone. There are people out there that I've seen who shouldn't be chasing in the first place though, but that's another story.

Harry Volkman at WKY gave the first tornado warning in the early 50's. Some of us think that isn't so long ago.

I remember reading about that. Back before the first Doppler weather radars were put into use.

bretthexum
03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Typical news weather 4 warnings. Lots of sirens and nothing more than three minutes of rain. Yippee.

Too bad the warnings come from the NWS. NOT the TV stations. The media pass along the info.

CCOKC
03-04-2008, 09:03 PM
When I lived in Waco 15 years ago I was watching TV in the middle of the day and the meteorologist cut into programming to inform me a tornado had just touched down, 1 mile from my house. I think I prefer it the OKC way.

bornhere
03-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't remember Harry Volkman, but I do remember Jim Williams, who would interrupt programming, tell you what was happening, and be off again in less than a minute.

No one got killed because he didn't stay on the whole evening flogging his collection of adjective-laden radars.

This stuff of staying on for hours in some cases just to follow a wall cloud or do a live shot with some guy who's being rained on annoys me.

Every spring, I say this is the year I'm getting a weather radio. Maybe this year I'll do it.

bornhere
03-04-2008, 09:52 PM
While I'm on the subject... I already know what hail looks like. You don't have to scoop up a handful and hold it up to the camera for me.

flintysooner
03-05-2008, 06:15 AM
I bought a weather radio after May 3, 1999. It missed me barely and changed forever the way I view storms and storm reports. I had been in buildings hit by tornadoes more than once before May 3rd.

I think the people who work at the severe storms lab and the weater service and the tv stations and all the volunteer spotters all deserve tremendous respect as well as much credit for actually saving people from injury and death.

There's nothing on TV that I think is as important as a weather report when there are storms. Just the other night there was a lot of damage.

It apparently means nothing to some people but to those who are hurt or have lost property it is very significant.

ewoodard
03-05-2008, 08:01 AM
As one who had his house hit on May 3rd while being in the house with no place to go, I'd rather have night disrupted for the sake of safety. Yes, the forecaseters do go over board with the snow/ice coverage, but I believe they are doing the right thing when it comes to tornadoes.

bandnerd
03-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I decided on a new word the other day.

Snonadoes.

When it is tornadoey one night, and snowy the next day.

venture
03-05-2008, 12:38 PM
It's obvious you know nothing about weather here or you wouldn't be posting such statements...

Have some gratitude for the people who try to warn you about such things.

We did have some discrete cells out in western OK yesterday and there were actual tornadoes, so it wasn't just all brief spin-ups. ;) We actually saw part of the lowering on the storm near Gotebo. The main activity of course was way north of I-40. It was a typical March chase.

Blah discrete...broken line...whatever. ;) Yeah the one up in NW Oklahoma was definitely a pretty tornado...even better it was out in the middle of nowhere.

The anti-weather comments on here just amaze me. It definitely shows people really don't understand the dynamics behind situations like we had on Sunday. The amount of shear in the atmosphere and the setup was one to where anything could spin up extremely fast. The Oklahoma County storm showed that. The radar signature clearly showed a compact, tight area of rotation and NWS Norman made the call and issued the warning. The TV stations are always going to go a bit nuts when you see something like that in a populated area - especially close to Downtown OKC.

As far as terrifying people in the OKC Metro with a storm a 100 miles away...I really don't think that is the case. Most educated people have a good understanding where certain locations are in the state. However, like others have posted, the OKC stations are the only TV station covering a lot of Western Oklahoma. So to those people, the OKC stations ARE their local stations. If that pisses you off, find an investor and pay for a new station in one of those areas. On May 3rd, and several other events, the long track tornado situations can make anyone in OKC or elsewhere in Oklahoma grateful for what the OKC Weather community does. You could argue on May 3rd there was a lead time of well over an hour on the tornado warning for OKC. That is not something you get everywhere.

When severe weather is getting ready to impact the metro, you can be assured that hundreds of chasers and spotters are out following. That is definitely not something many cities around this country have. I remember being on a chase back in 2004 or 2005, and a storm with a nice wall cloud and an occassional funnel moved from over where Riverwind is now across south Norman. They didn't blow the sirens in Cleveland County right away because there was no visual confirmation. The benefits of the storm moving into a "spotter rich environment" as NWS Norman said over the ham radio. Now contrast to Sunday. We didn't have the luxury of daylight and good viewing conditions. The configuration of the storm also almost guaranteed the thing would be rain wrapped. Visual confirmation isn't really going to happen in that case unless it is via power flashes - which then it is too late.

So just like every year this time. Stop complaining and change the channel. They are providing a service that is somewhat unique and also beneficial to this area. I've lived in a few cities that had nothing like our weather coverage, and I couldn't tell you how scared people can get when they see a tornado warning and but have absolutely no information about it.

rwood8
03-06-2008, 02:41 AM
You have a remote control for a reason. As much as the TV stations would love for you to watch their station, I bet they'd rather you change the channel than have to hear you whine on the phone while you waste their time and patience.

kmf563
03-06-2008, 07:43 AM
ha. no, they love those calls! really.
some people just wouldn't have a complete life if they didn't have something to complain about. there are over 300 channels on tv now and you want to complain about tornadic weather being reported on the local channels which probably had what on sunday night anyway? what was on that was so important that you were missing? change the freaking channel, program your dvr to record your shows and never have to watch a weather report again! whoa technology!!

i love the weather shows. i love to watch the storm develop, i like to watch it move in, and i like to watch it move out.

Martin
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
i didn't find the warnings to be over the top this weekend so i don't have a dog in this hunt, so to speak. but i will add this... on cox, the audio on all channels cut out at least a couple times for emergency weather advisories, so it isn't exactly fair to say that someone could just change channels.

-M

windowphobe
03-06-2008, 06:33 PM
I've had a weather radio for twenty-five years. (The same one, in fact; it just demands a new 9-volt battery twice a year.) The one problem with the NWS audio service is that when there are different warnings in the same broadcast area - witness last night, when everything southeast of I-44 got a Winter Storm Warning and things to the northwest got only a Winter Weather Advisory - you have to pay attention to both and listen to the list of counties for each. Fortunately, they're always in alphabetical order. And if there are five or six warnings and advisories around, you might be listening for a long time. On the upside, nobody shows you a handful of hail.

It should be remembered that all those towns out to our west don't have their own television stations: they watch Oklahoma City stations. You may not care what happens in Custer County, but Gary and Mike and Rick do.

OUman
03-09-2008, 02:07 PM
It should be remembered that all those towns out to our west don't have their own television stations: they watch Oklahoma City stations.

Save a few like Altus and Lawton.

windowphobe
03-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Lawton has one station of its own (KSWO); the other three stations in the market are actually in Wichita Falls. Altus, to my knowledge, has nothing. (Maybe they watch Lawton/Wichita Falls.)

bornhere
03-09-2008, 08:00 PM
My problem with the hours-long coverage is not that a program is being covered up.

It's that when the meteorologist has conveyed all the information he has to convey in thirty seconds the station then fills another 45 minutes or hour or whatever with non-information: here's a helicopter shot of a dark cloud, here's Reporter Joe Blow live from wherever he happens to be parked whether it's near the dark cloud or not, here's an assistant meteorologist repeating whatever the main meteorologist just said, here we are zooming in on the doppler, here we are zooming out on the doppler, and don't watch that other station's doppler because it sucks and you'll die for sure and we're the only station that truly cares about you and blah and blah.

Nothing has changed, there's no tornado, but pretty soon a half hour has ticked by while the viewers are waiting for something to happen. And eventually we get tired of sitting on the edge of our seats and we go back to whatever we're doing.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
03-10-2008, 12:04 AM
My problem with the hours-long coverage is not that a program is being covered up.

It's that when the meteorologist has conveyed all the information he has to convey in thirty seconds the station then fills another 45 minutes or hour or whatever with non-information: here's a helicopter shot of a dark cloud, here's Reporter Joe Blow live from wherever he happens to be parked whether it's near the dark cloud or not, here's an assistant meteorologist repeating whatever the main meteorologist just said, here we are zooming in on the doppler, here we are zooming out on the doppler, and don't watch that other station's doppler because it sucks and you'll die for sure and we're the only station that truly cares about you and blah and blah.

Nothing has changed, there's no tornado, but pretty soon a half hour has ticked by while the viewers are waiting for something to happen. And eventually we get tired of sitting on the edge of our seats and we go back to whatever we're doing.

THIS.

What's wrong with the ticker at the bottom of the screen until there's an ACTUAL TORNADO?

Karried
03-10-2008, 08:57 AM
lol, I'm reading this post and here comes a commercial for Rick's Advantage Doppler..

yes, I would love a CNN type scrolling at the bottom of the screen as well.

The first few years I moved here, I was glued to the set, ready at the drop of the hat to sprint to the shelter ( had visions of flying cows, the whole shebang... ) now, I'm more complacent.

I agree, even with my fear of tornados, it's still a little much and I can't help but think it's definitely a way to increase ratings and get more viewers to tune in.

bandnerd
03-10-2008, 09:13 AM
They used to have that little ticker, when I was younger. It would be nice to go back to that.

Patrick
03-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Hey all, get off the computer if you live in OKC 1-40 ... possible tornado near the Fairgrounds... I hate these sirens! boohoooooooooo - I'm scared

:omg:

venture
03-11-2008, 12:57 AM
The scrolls are still there. Typically those will run for any advisory/warning that isn't a tornado or a severe thunderstorm that is likely to cause damage. Typically the nonstop weather coverage is saved mainly for those extreme events.

We can argue this on both sides from those of us with a meteorological background and those that don't. The fact is, OKC media will continue to cover weather events much like Southern Cal stations cover car chases. It drives ratings and the "thrill" of not knowing what may happen next keeps people glued. When nothing drops from the sky, people are pissed and disappointed for wasting their time. When something does, they are grateful that the coverage was there. You can never satisfy people no matter how hard you try.

We are moving into our storm season, and it'll probably be a very active Spring. Sit back, get ready for typical OKC-style weather coverage, and if you don't like it...buy a weather radio and grab some DVDs to watch.

mickinwarracres
03-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Interesting thread...I called a friend of mine in Mid West City that night and I asked her if she was paying attention to the weather and the sirens. She said 'no' should I be?

No matter how much time is spent on the television covering tornadic thunderstorms we still have people in Oklahoma, such as wrote on this thread, that would rather see the sirens stopped and the warnings discontinued so they can watch their precious television program.

I on the other hand am thankful, very thankful, we have men and women who, at times, place their own lives in danger to provide us the most comprehensive weather coverage of anywhere in the country! Thank goodness for men like Mike Morgan, Rick Mitchell and Gary England who have devoted their lives, and have extremely thick skin, in helping protect the lives of those who don't want it.

I run into this at the office every time we have severe weather and the potential of tornadic weather. Because I'm in charge of the Emergency Response Team I have to prepare and consider the worst possible situation and keep my team prepared for that as well and even though we have people who don't want that protection, who think they are just fine on their own, we have to maintain that level of security for them also. This is in response to those men on the streets doing the same thing reporting what may or may not happen.

I for one would much rather be told their is circulation in the storm and it may produce a tornado and I should seek shelter than not be told at all and it come down out of the clouds and destroy my life or a love one of mine.

I suspect those that complain the loudest about their lives being disrupted because of the siren or their favorite television show not on would be the first to scream the loudest if a warning was not provided and something bad happened.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I too have been around here for 41 years and I've seen the destructive power of what a tornado! Keep those sirens going and let me know when the storm is on the horizon so I can make plans accordingly.