View Full Version : Amazon Web Services (AWS)

flintysooner
03-01-2008, 09:50 AM
I've been using the AWS S3. It is very nice. I tried to register for the SimpleDB but the beta is closed for now apparently.

bkm645
03-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I have also been using Amazons S3 with Jungle Disk for my home server as a backup solution. It is very easy to use and now I do not have to worry about a tornado destroying all my data. It only cost $2-$3 a month for 14gb of data.

jeffbarr
03-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi, Jeff Barr from Amazon Web Services here!

I saw that flintysooner was looking for Amazon SimpleDB access in this thread and I may be able to help! Send me (jbarr @ amazon.com) a quick note and we can discuss the details offline.

flintysooner
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the contact. I will email you.

One of the things I like about the SimpleDB is that it reminds me of the old PICK OS that used associatve arrays and strings for database. Shows how ancient I am.

flintysooner
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Ok, I have the SimleDB working now. So I'm using S3 for my Internet backup storage and now I'm going to try to build a simple web app using SimpleDB.

bkm645 I'm just using the FireFox S3 addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addons/policy/0/3247/20757
This works well enough for me. Actually it works really great.

RoboNerd
03-14-2008, 09:29 AM
The one thing I wish Amazon would fix is that 5GB limit on file sizes. I would love to be able to back up my Exchange server nightly, automatically, without having to split the files.

Does anyone know of an automatic S3 backup solution for Windoze that will split files automatically?