View Full Version : Starbucks take a Coffee Break

BailJumper
02-27-2008, 06:31 AM
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
At Starbucks stores across the country on Tuesday night, it was time for the corporate version of re-education camp.

In its campaign to revive the intimate, friendly feel of a neighborhood coffee shop, Starbucks orchestrated the closing of 7,100 of its American stores at precisely 5:30 p.m. for a three-hour retraining session for employees.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

If I'm a shareholder I'm not feeling very confident of late.

I can vouche for the Starbucks I go to some that a retraining day was needed. The quality varied greatly from visit to visit. Not just the coffee but also the customer service.

I find Seattle's Best much more consistent.

I did hear that Starbucks is planning to offer free internet at many locations!

flintysooner
02-27-2008, 06:38 AM
Every time I try something else it makes me realize why I love Starbucks. I think Schultz has assessed the issues correctly and is doing the right things. It takes a lot of courage and perseverance.

FritterGirl
02-27-2008, 07:38 AM
I find Seattle's Best much more consistent.

I did hear that Starbucks is planning to offer free internet at many locations!

Kudos on the free internet. That's been needed for a long time. I might need to fact check this one, but I thought I heard sometime back that Starbucks now owns "Seattle's Best." And I agree, it is a better product.

I wish I could say I like and frequent some local coffee houses. I love Red Cup, it's just a bit of a drive for me. As for Java Dave's, I think their food is okay, but I can't STAND their coffee. EVERYTHING tastes like macademia nuts or coconut to me.

metro
02-27-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm pretty sure Starbucks own's Seattles Best, Tazo Teas, and several other companies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle's_Best_Coffee

Starbucks to buy Seattle's Best Coffee (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/117808_starbucksww16.shtml)

BailJumper
02-27-2008, 10:22 AM
I heard they dropped the hot breakfast. I didn't even know they offered one. The one I've stopped in a few times won't even microwave a muffin to make it hot. Yet, Seattle's Best have excellent hot sandwiches and soups.

Honestly, I'm no expert on coffee. I mainly go there because someone with me wants a cup of Joe.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
02-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I heard they dropped the hot breakfast. I didn't even know they offered one. The one I've stopped in a few times won't even microwave a muffin to make it hot. Yet, Seattle's Best have excellent hot sandwiches and soups.

Honestly, I'm no expert on coffee. I mainly go there because someone with me wants a cup of Joe.

BailJumper, I think only certain regions got hot breakfast to being with. In fact many locations around the country also have to-go lunch stuff (like salad, fruit and cheese plates, sandwiches, etc). For some reason none of the Starbucks in OK appeared to ever have offered these things (at least not the ones I've been to around the metro, not sure about Tulsa area?)

I guess their marketing researchers found that perhaps Oklahoma isn't the best market for it? I dunno. It was awfully overpriced for what it was, and compared with the great deals you can get on awesome breakfast and lunch in the metro, they probably couldn't compete or it probably wasn't a money maker for them? Does anybody know really know why though, I was always curious...

:tiphat:

flintysooner
02-27-2008, 08:31 PM
They have to have distribution in place before that can be accomplished because of the standards for freshness and quality. Distribution requires a certain store density.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-28-2008, 02:40 AM
The one thing I don't like about Starbucks?

Yeah, try walking in there and asking for a "large black coffee". :053:

BailJumper
02-28-2008, 06:13 AM
Hmmmm, I no more than made my comments about food when the wife reminded me the Starbucks in Norman at Barnes&Noble has breakfast sandwiches and lunch sandwiches. I do remember eating there awhile back when going to their Sam's (they get different things then the one by us). We're not crazy are we - that is a Starbucks?

JerzeeGrlinOKC
02-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Hmmmm, I no more than made my comments about food when the wife reminded me the Starbucks in Norman at Barnes&Noble has breakfast sandwiches and lunch sandwiches. I do remember eating there awhile back when going to their Sam's (they get different things then the one by us). We're not crazy are we - that is a Starbucks?

Actually I'm pretty certain that those are not actually Starbucks, that they are Barnes and Noble cafe that just serves Starbucks drinks (and promote the hell out of them). The reason I say that is because a friend of mine used to work for Barnes and Noble, he was hired by Barnes and Noble, and worked at the cafe only. He never did any official Barista training with Starbucks, or ever dealt with them for hiring or payroll.

flintysooner, are you sure about that? Seems like it shouldn't matter about the distribution (food is probably not made there fresh, like many of the pastries, they are shipped in). Or, if they can ship in pastries why can't they ship in food? Just wondering if that's the real or only reason? Then again I know nothing about the restaurant business or marketing, so forgive me for not understanding.

:sofa:

flintysooner
02-28-2008, 05:51 PM
flintysooner, are you sure about that?
That's what a manager told me a while back. I am pretty sure it was true at one time because the Grand Prairie distribution center supplied Sbux locations in Dallas-Fort Worth. But it wasn't built until there were well over 100 locations.

Oklahoma City hasn't had Starbucks too long. When I came back from Dallas there weren't any except the Barnes and Noble and those aren't the same.

I don't have any current information though.

I did try the Golden Honey Latte today though and it was very, very good.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
That's what a manager told me a while back. I am pretty sure it was true at one time because the Grand Prairie distribution center supplied Sbux locations in Dallas-Fort Worth. But it wasn't built until there were well over 100 locations.

Oklahoma City hasn't had Starbucks too long. When I came back from Dallas there weren't any except the Barnes and Noble and those aren't the same.

I don't have any current information though.

I did try the Golden Honey Latte today though and it was very, very good.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info!