View Full Version : Tinker 3 Dead

Karried
02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
What a sad outcome to a hostage standoff... 3 dead, looks like 2 kids and 1 adult. I'm sure we'll hear more details but this is the latest.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Oh man.

betts
02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Oh, terrible, terrible news.

Karried
02-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Domestic disturbance with ex-spouse - Military member killed his 2 kids -ages 4 & 8 and then himself.

I can't even imagine how much hatred in his heart to do this to a mother. How tragic.

Karried
02-25-2008, 04:38 PM
From CNN:

3 Dead In Standoff At Tinker Air Force Base - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/15405413/detail.html)

SoonerQueen
02-25-2008, 10:59 PM
An adult and two children were found dead inside family housing Monday following a domestic disturbance at Tinker Air Force Base.

An Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office tactical team entered the home and discovered a man and children, ages 4 and 8, around 4:30 p.m., two hours after military security forces contacted the sheriff's office for assistance, Sheriff John Whetsel said.

"At that point in time, the information that we received was that a member of the military and an ex-spouse had an altercation, that the ex-spouse had left the residence, and that she had heard gunshots upon her departure from the residence," Whetsel told reporters at a news conference on the southeast Oklahoma City base.

Officials said the names of the victims were withheld pending notification next of kin, but Whetsel and Col. Mark Correll, a Tinker spokesman, referred to him as a member of the military.

Correll said Air Force policy precludes any release of information on the deceased within 24 hours after next of kin have been notified.

"We'll provide as much detail about the individuals as is releasable at that time," Correll said.

Whetsel called it a "sad day in Oklahoma County."

This is from MarkShannon.com

jbrown84
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
What a sad outcome to a hostage standoff... 3 dead, looks like 2 kids and 1 adult. I'm sure we'll hear more details but this is the latest.

I don't think it was a standoff. The shots were fired right after the mother left the house. They just thought it might be a hostage situation, but it had already happened.

How awful.

Karried
02-26-2008, 05:53 PM
Yes, more details came out after the story broke....

I saw the pictures of the little girl today...adorable

God, it is so horrible.. and I can't imagine what the mother is going through.

drum4no1
02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Today the military said it was deciding whether to give him Military honors at his funeral. I come from a military family and this may sound harsh, but I hope they dont, he dosent deserve a damn bit of respect from us or the military. Make him out to be a hero, I dont think so.

Karried
02-27-2008, 11:03 AM
omg .. no, no, no!

That would be such a horrible travesty... this idea makes me sick to my stomach.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Today the military said it was deciding whether to give him Military honors at his funeral. I come from a military family and this may sound harsh, but I hope they dont, he dosent deserve a damn bit of respect from us or the military. Make him out to be a hero, I dont think so.

Well, I know that suicide doesn't disqualify you from honors...I've done both the notification as well as the burial in a couple of those...Now, the MURDER on the other hand, if they go through the process of trying him, I'm assuming they could disqualify him somehow.

Not sure how I'd feel about that, as technically, his military service (as far as I know) was honorable, and he did this in his capacity as a bad father/human being.

Hell, we gave JFK Jr. a military funeral, and he never even served. Well, not a "military" funeral, but they loaded up the family on the U.S.S. Briscoe (from memory, not sure about it) and toddled off with them for a burial at sea on the government's dime.

jbrown84
02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
We don't really know anything about his military service, except that he was asked to undergo a mental evaluation. Extreme temper issues, maybe?

No honors for this killer.

drum4no1
02-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, I know that suicide doesn't disqualify you from honors...I've done both the notification as well as the burial in a couple of those...Now, the MURDER on the other hand, if they go through the process of trying him, I'm assuming they could disqualify him somehow.

Not sure how I'd feel about that, as technically, his military service (as far as I know) was honorable, and he did this in his capacity as a bad father/human being.

Hell, we gave JFK Jr. a military funeral, and he never even served. Well, not a "military" funeral, but they loaded up the family on the U.S.S. Briscoe (from memory, not sure about it) and toddled off with them for a burial at sea on the government's dime.

A friends father commited suicide and received his honors. I dont want lessen his service to his country but murdering your children? Maybe im having too much of a gut reaction to the case.

Rifleman2C
02-27-2008, 02:37 PM
A friends father commited suicide and received his honors. I dont want lessen his service to his country but murdering your children? Maybe im having too much of a gut reaction to the case.

No, don't second guess yourself... I think many will join me in saying that your 'gut reaction' is spot on.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-28-2008, 01:43 AM
That's why I said I'm a bit torn on it.

I've done the notifications and/or funerals for loved ones that their son/husband offed himself...And they got full military benefits/burial/SGLI/etc. But I've never known a service member that killed anybody outside of the scope of their duties...Much less something THIS horrible.

I'd like to say "screw-em", but if they take away his benefits and insurance...Well...Maybe his ex-wife was the beneficiary and she'd now get bupkis for insurance to top off the loss of her children.

Hmmm....