View Full Version : Are you a native?

dalelakin
02-24-2008, 04:51 PM
If not how long have you lived here and where do you consider to be your original home?

No I am not a native I have lived here since March 06 and I consider Indianapolis my original home.

Just curious how many people are actually from here seems to be 50/50 but thought I would ask to see for sure.

dcsooner
02-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Yes, born and raised in Lawton,
OU grad, hope to retire in Oklahoma City

Midtowner
02-24-2008, 04:57 PM
I was born in OKC, raised in Edmond, currently reside in OKC.

yukong
02-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Born at Wesley Hospital in OKC and still proudly live here. Did have a 13 year stint down in Southern Oklahoma back in the 80s & 90s, but now I am back home.

Karried
02-24-2008, 05:04 PM
No.

My original home is California. I was born and raised in the Bay Area ....

Moved to OK for my husband's job transfer.

I've lived in Edmond for 5 years.

OKCDrummer77
02-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I was born in Kansas, lived in San Antonio and Tulsa for a short time before moving to Enid, all before I was 5. I moved to OKC for college (Oklahoma Christian U.) in August '95, and have lived here ever since.

Dustbowl
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
I was born in OKC in 1956. St. Anthony's Hospital. Attended OKC public schools. Graduated from UCO and have 2 graduate degrees from Oklahoma City University. I have a background in banking, hospital administration, law and investments. I have lived in Enid, Fairview, Edmond, Hugo and of course, Oklahoma City. My family lived here before statehood and my GG grandfather was a deputy US Marshall, Indian Territory.

Doug Loudenback
02-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes, born and raised in Lawton,
OU grad, hope to retire in Oklahoma City
I was born at St. Anthony's in 1943, lived here for about 6 months, but parents moved at that time to California. That didn't last, parents divorced, and my mom returned to Oklahoma, first at Clinton where her mom lived. I didn't start living in Okc full time until 1970 although I worked here during 1966-68 while in law school at OU.

Like you, I was reared mostly in Lawton, graduating from LHS in 1961. Did we know each other?

rondvu
02-24-2008, 07:14 PM
Family came in 1889 and settled what is now Hefner Parkway and Hefner Rd. My father was born in OKC in 1919. He was in the miltary and I was born in Altus, OK in 1959. Moved back to OKC in 1962 so, I guess I kinda am, you decide.

BG918
02-24-2008, 08:00 PM
No, from Fort Worth and grew up in Tulsa.

hipsterdoofus
02-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Born in Tulsa, but my family settled north of Edmond in the landrun.

CCOKC
02-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I was born at Deaconess Hospital in 1966 and have lived here most of my life. I went to college in Stillwater for four years, lived in Waco TX for four years and Boise ID last year for about six months. I currently live approximately a mile from where I was born.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Born in Tulsa, but my family settled north of Edmond in the landrun.

How cool is that? I wonder, do most of you guys who were born here have some family landrun ties?

Well, since its not totally obvious that I'm not from here, born in New York City, lived in central Jersey until a year and a half ago, now I live in SE OKC (border of Moore).

PapaJack
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Born in Denver but moved by my parents to Oklahoma at age two. Raised in Midwest City, lived also in Tulsa, Lawton and OKC since 1979. Five year sabbatical with Uncle Sam, otherwise 55 years in OK.

CuatrodeMayo
02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
I was Born at Presbyterian Hospital in 1983. My Mom grew up in OKC, as did her father and mother and her grandmother. They were originally from Louisiana.
My dad grew up on the gulf coast and moved to Oklahoma in H.S. His dad is from Arkansas, and his mom from Alabama. Their families are originally from the Deep South.

I lived in Luther, OK for my 1st 9 years, then Edmond for the next 9. I currently live in Stillwater while I finish school. I am looking to move to NYC this summer, but will return to OKC to raise a family. I plan on retiring in OKC.

MadMonk
02-24-2008, 08:39 PM
I was born in West Virginia; almost immediately my family moved to North Carolina where I was raised until I was around 11 and we moved out here. I've lived here ever since (25+ years).

bandnerd
02-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Born in Ardmore, grew up in Marietta, moved to Edmond to go to college, and now reside in OKC. 27 years of Oklahomadom.

CrimsonOberon
02-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Born in Lawton in 1983, raised in OKC all my life.

The paternal side of my family has been in Oklahoma ever since the Kiowa & Kiowa-Apache tribes first came here, sometime between 1867-1875. The maternal side of my family first settled here with the Muscogee Creek tribe sometime after the Trail of Tears.

betts
02-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I grew up in Minnesota, went to college in Denver and Michigan (and then OU!), but have lived here most of my adult life. I'm not a native, but my kids are, and I consider myself an Okie by adoption.

Architect2010
02-24-2008, 10:22 PM
I was born at OU Medical. Lived in Moore, now I live in South OKC. Born and so far raised in OKC...all 16 years! ;) lol. I also plan on going to college for architecture, move to NYC and then move back to settle down.

Saberman
02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Born in Nebraska, moved to Alva for about 7 months, then to Midwest City when I was 10. Moved to Del City for my High School, then to NW OKC. Spent 4 years traveling with Uncle Sam in USMC, and spent a couple of years traveling to different cities with a job I had, but always come back to NW OKC. It just keeps pulling me back, I love it here. People, weather, clean air, clean living, I love this place....

CuatrodeMayo
02-24-2008, 11:47 PM
I was born at OU Medical. Lived in Moore, now I live in South OKC. Born and so far raised in OKC...all 16 years! ;) lol. I also plan on going to college for architecture, move to NYC and then move back to settle down.

I'll let you know how that goes...

dcsooner
02-25-2008, 02:06 AM
Doug Dawg, not sure if we know each other. I went to Douglass elementary, Central Junior High and then LHS, graduating in 1972. After two years at Cameron, I transerred to OU graduating in 1977. Grew up around SE 7th Street.

Doug Loudenback
02-25-2008, 02:36 AM
Doug Dawg, not sure if we know each other. I went to Douglass elementary, Central Junior High and then LHS, graduating in 1972. After two years at Cameron, I transerred to OU graduating in 1977. Grew up around SE 7th Street.
Not likely, then, since I graduated form LHS 11 years earlier!

FRISKY
02-25-2008, 05:42 AM
Born in OKC, but moved from state to state for many years. Finally settled down in the best state...Oklahoma!

Kerry
02-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Born in Holdenville, OK but moved to California when I was a year old. When I was 12 we moved back to Healdton, Oklahoma but my dad died a month after moving back. My mom stuck it out for 2 years but we returned to California where I went high school and 2 years of college. I moved back to Norman in 1989 and put myself through OU by joining the Oklahoma National Guard. Met my wife at OU and after graduation in 1994 we moved to Florida. I currently live in Jacskonville, FL but I consider OKC my adopted home town. My mom, 3 sisters and 2 brothers live in and around OKC.

cindyl57
02-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Born in Cleburne TX...Moved here when I was 11. Summer of 68...Went to Kelly Elementry in Moore, Central Jr. High and almost graduated from Moore in 1975..but got married in highschool and my husband was in the Army...So he comes home SpringBreak in 75 and we move to Blackwell...Graduate from there...and then moved back to Moore...Still consider myself a Moore Graduate...

My Dad's family was from TX and My Mom is from OK...

Since I have lived here for almost 40 years, I have to say..I am pretty much from OK...I consider myself from here...

wsucougz
02-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Born in Seattle, moved here 6 years ago for a job.

jbrown84
02-25-2008, 09:59 AM
-born at St. Francis in Tulsa in 1984
-parents returned to OKC soon after
-lived 3 years in Salt Lake City, then back in Tulsa for 1 year (2nd grade)
-back in OKC for 3rd and 4th grade, then moved to Edmond
-graduated from Edmond North in 2002
-graduated from OBU in 2006
-moved downtown last summer

-family staked land near the Great Salt Plains in the Cherokee Strip Land Run
-had a great great great uncle on the Constitutional Convention

Pete
02-25-2008, 10:31 AM
I was born in Milwaukee in 1960. My dad got a job opportunity in OKC in 1963, and in a pretty bold move (considering everyone he knew in the world was in Wisconsin) packed all of us up and moved south.

So, even though I lived in OK for almost 30 years, I wasn't a true native and my family was always a little different, as we were Catholic (whereas seemingly everyone else was Baptist), didn't have the Okie accents and phrases, etc.

My youngest sister was born in OKC but my other three siblings were born in Wisconsin, like me.

After a while, my grandmother moved down to be closer to us. I have eight nieces and nephews and three of them are out of college and all have stayed local, so it looks like pretty much my entire immediate family will stay in Oklahoma -- I'm the one maverick out here in California.

And as I always say, even though I may never live there again, Oklahoma will always be my home.

sooners83
02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Born in OKC, grew up in Edmond, currently live in Edmond.

Midtowner
02-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Original Oklahoma ties?

I only really know about the older folks on my mother's side. My father's side were mostly involved in the oil industry, did some real estate development, settled in Enid back in the pre-WWI days.

On my mother's side, my great great grandmother originally homesteaded (I don't know if that's the proper term) somewhere near Anadarko. They lived in a sod house for some time. My great grandmother was a teacher in Anadarko and had the first home in town with indoor plumbing. Later, one of my great aunts became a teacher as well, also in Anadarko.

On my grandfather's side, they homesteaded out in Cushing. My great-great-great grandfather was some sort of minister. My great great grandfather was a pretty big wheel in town. He made his bucks, I guess before the days of the automobile (my info here is sketchy). He was the owner of the only wagon in the city, so everyone was reliant on him for quite a bit, I guess that was how it was until the railroad came to town. By that point, he had a furniture store and several other major real estate holdings. "Cherry Street" in Cushing (used to be Main) is named after his Cherry orchard. At one time, he had purchased all the homes in that area for family members.

My Oklahoma roots go pretty far back.

jbrown84
02-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I have been to the property where my family homesteaded near Great Salt Plains. The sod house is long gone, but a barn remains. I think the land is still in the family somewhere.

diesel
02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I was born at Baptist in 1978.. Lived in MWC all my life.. I am an Okie! It pisses me off the number of people I hear that complain about how "oklahoma sucks".. Its an easy place to live!! And nice at that... Its no NYC or LA for sure, but we have our own unique attributes..

Rifleman2C
02-25-2008, 12:24 PM
Wow, jbrown and I have something in common... I too was born at St. Francis. But it was back in 1965 for me. Yep, I'm guessing that makes me officially 'middle-age man'...

Raised in Tulsa, finally moved to OKC in 1983 to attend OU, but that didn't last. Back to Tulsa briefly, out to Atlanta, then after a year or so, the rollercoaster ride (such as it is) of my military service started. Stints in San Antonio, Biloxi, OKC, Anchorage, OKC, and Belgium... with a return to origin of sorts this summer when I'm OKC bound one more time.

I guess I'm an 'intermittent' native!

bombermwc
02-25-2008, 12:26 PM
Born at Midwest Memorial back in the day, still live in MWC now.

I'm fortunate enough that as I grew up, I didn't know that OKC "sucked". The crash/bust happened when I was very young. Most of the time of my life when I was old enough to pay attention to what was happening, OKC had already started to try and rebound. So as far as I know, OKC has always been awesome!

bkm645
02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
I was born in the old Moore hospital, I think I was the last baby born there. I still live in OKC limits, but go to school up at UCO. My great-great grandpa was part of the land run in 1892 in western Canadian County. All of my great-grandparents lived here, some were born here, while others moved here from Missouri and Texas. I am a true okie and never want to move.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Born and raised in the Detroit area, been living in this area for 5 years now.

fromdust
02-25-2008, 08:09 PM
ok, my turn. dad is from alva. mom is from arnett. i was born in okc.
my great-grandad on my moms side came here from austria during the land run and her brother still lives on that land today. somewhere indians came about in my family, not sure how far down the line that is, tho.

windowphobe
02-25-2008, 08:29 PM
I've had four nonconsecutive stints here, totaling about 34 of my 54 years.

hipsterdoofus
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
-born at St. Francis in Tulsa in 1984

Ha...I was born there in 78...my wife and sister were both born there in 1982..lotta babies go through that place.

cindyl57
02-26-2008, 09:03 AM
didn't have the Okie accents and phrases, etc.

HaHa...Have to say that...When we moved here from Texas when I was 11, my cousins made fun of my accent...and so I imagine you from Wisconsin...sounded funny too...

Speaking of Tulsa...My husband was born there...His family moved to Norman and then to Moore...
He has been in OK his entire life.

kmf563
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Born here. Lived here. Will probably die here.

Dustbowl
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
This is my GG Grandfather. Caleb Lawson "Loss" Hart. He was a Deputy U.S. Marshall. He shot and killed Bill Dalton near Ardmore, Oklahoma. http://www.rootsweb.com/~okgarvin/hartcaeibllawson.html

Midtowner
02-27-2008, 09:10 PM
This is my GG Grandfather. Caleb Lawson "Loss" Hart. He was a Deputy U.S. Marshall. He shot and killed Bill Dalton near Ardmore, Oklahoma. http://www.rootsweb.com/~okgarvin/hartcaeibllawson.html

My Great Grandmother said she casually knew the Daltons. They'd tip their hats to her. She lived in Anadarko. Your GG Grandfather apparently shot a well-mannered criminal.

Dustbowl
02-27-2008, 09:26 PM
My Great Grandmother said she casually knew the Daltons. They'd tip their hats to her. She lived in Anadarko. Your GG Grandfather apparently shot a well-mannered criminal.

Well, this well-mannered criminal jumped out of a window shooting at law officers. He got a well placed hole in his forehead for the effort. Scroll down to Personal Account of Loss Hart....

Hart Family Documents (http://www.robtyn.us/genealogy/hart/hart_documents.htm#Loss) Hart Deposition

Dustbowl
02-27-2008, 09:28 PM

Well, this well-mannered criminal jumped out of a window shooting at law officers. He got a well placed hole in his forehead for the effort. Scroll down to Personal Account of Loss Hart....

Hart Family Documents (http://www.robtyn.us/genealogy/hart/hart_documents.htm#Loss) Hart Deposition

Photo - Caleb Lawson "Loss" Hart (http://www.robtyn.us/genealogy/hart/photo_hart_loss.htm)

Dar405301
02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I was born in OKC, but Noble is my hometown. Now, I live in Jacksonville, Florida. I can't wait to come home!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-28-2008, 02:03 AM

Nice.

My family (dad's side anyway) can be traced back to a member of the Doolin-Dalton gang...So we've been around the area of Oklahoma for at least that long.

I was born at Baptist in '72.

PennyQuilts
02-28-2008, 05:38 AM
Like Cindy, I moved here from Texas when I was eleven and they made fun of my accent. I lived in Oklahoma for 30 years, then moved to Virginia. The first words out of anyone's mouth (upon hearing my accent) are, "Where are you from?" I used to say, "Oklahoma," until I recalled that I brought this hickspeak with me from Texas. Will be back home to Oklahoma in about 4 - 5 years.

SoonerBent
02-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Born in St. Anthony hospital. Furthest I've lived from OKC was south Edmond for a year or so.

Patrick
02-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Born here in 1980 at Deaconess Hospital. Never lived anywhere but OKC.

Dad moved here from Frankfurt, Germany in the 50's. Grandparents originally came from Ft. Scott, Kansas, back in the late 1800's.

OKCisOK4me
03-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I was born at Norman Regional in '78 and the parentals shortly moved to Edmond roughly 2 weeks later. Grew up in the Edmond area through my freshman year whence I moved to Missouri shortly thereafter to live with my mom for the remainder of my high school years. After a short two year stint in Stillwater, I've been in OKC ever since. I love it here and I love seeing all the construction and growth.

Oh yeah, yes I consider myself a native.

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Would anyone like for me to start a poll? I'm a little disappointed
my last one wasn't on the sidebar like the one for Hillary Clinton
but still, it rates right up there as a thrill, and, sadly, I'm not really
kidding about that.

Anyway.

Let.
Me.
Know.

kevinpate
03-10-2008, 09:28 PM
nah, I've just lived here longer than a whole passle of natives

jdsplaypin
03-11-2008, 08:12 AM
-Born in Stillwater -1984
-Graduating OSU this spring
-Moving to Portland, OR for graduate school this summer (Urban Planning)
-Family settled present day lake carl blackwell before it existed

Will
03-11-2008, 11:26 AM
My family moved here in '80 when I was 5. Grew up in edmond. Moved to the bay area after college. Then moved back about 6 years ago. Now live back in Edmond.

Dave Cook
03-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Yes and no.

Born in Oklahoma City.....fifth generation Okie....moved away in 1996....returned a year ago....and have come to the realization Oklahoma City is my hometown but sadly no longer my home.

Nothing negative to say about Oklahoma....just not for me anymore.