View Full Version : Why I Would Vote Yes

okcpulse
02-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Before I give my explanation as to why I would vote yes, let me being some points to your attention that you will need to know, and will help you later down the road. First, stop using median income as a way to measure Oklahoma City's wealth. It doesn't paint an overall accurate picture of the city's actual wealth or lack of wealth. Median income is where half the population make more and half make less by place of work. Average household income averages the annual take-home of any working persons in that household by place of work. Now per capita income, that is where we really need to focus when it comes to guaging our city's economy. Per capita income is the total annual income of a certain geographical area by place of work, proprietary (royalty income, etc), farm income, interest dividends and gifted income divided by the total population of a certain geographical area.

And Oklahoma City's per capita income is catching up with the rest of the country quickly. Not to mention local companies are thriving there, so the question of whether we can support a team is out the window. I would question supporting two teams or more, but not one team. Now, let's take a look at some other cities with an NBA team as the only game in town, and how they stack up...

Orlando-Kissimmee-St. Cloud, FLA - PCPI (2005): $31,555
1,931,479 (2005)

Memphis, TN-MS-AR - PCPI (2005): $33,529
1,256,631 (2005)

Salt Lake City, UT - PCPI (2005): $32,133
1,046,685 (2005)

San Antonio, TX - PCPI (2005): $30,393
1,888,047 (2005)

Sacramento-Arcade-Arden-Roseville, CA - PCPI (2005): $35,463
2,041,701 (2005)

Oklahoma City, OK - PCPI (2005): $32,875
1,154,991 (2005)

Now, why exactly would I vote yes? Seriously, people, it's simple. Let's all admit that the Ford Center was never actually done. Items, mostly aesthetic, were shaved here and there to meet the construction budget. Did you seriously think a true 'state of the art' arena would hatch out of $89 million? Yeah, sure we got lucky with Flintco's miscalculated bid, but that can only get you so far.

The Ford Center simply isn't finished. NBA team or not, let's remodel our venue to be the best in the region, something we can really be proud of. Despite all of these lame VOTE NO excuses and some rhetoric about nepotism at city hall that is best left for an ethics panel and not an arena election, we really should be supporting improvements to Ford Center before it really DOES become the white elephant that naysayers feared back in the 1990s.

So what if the Ford Center improvements were left for the future election of MAPS 3? Would it have still been the "MAPS for Millionaires" that whiny skeptics have been crying about?

I'd vote yes to get the Ford Center done, regardless of an anticipated Sonics arrival. Think about that.

Karried
02-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Great points Okcpulse...

This is part of the reason I'm voting YES ...

NewsOK.com Article (http://newsok.com/article/3207975/1203817808)

I realized recently that there is a huge void that hasn't been filled since the Hornets left...

When they were here, we hit Bricktown and restaurants/nightclubs at least 30 or more times during that period. We always made a night of it.

Since they left, I haven't been back ... that is so sad. I realize I'm bored to tears.. I've watched more movies from Hollywood Video the last year than I have in my entire lifetime. There are enough restaurants close to where I live that I don't need to drive to Bricktown.. so the tax that I'm spending in Edmond (tax that people are complaining about) would easily come back to OKC.

I miss that and I'm betting the Bricktown merchants miss us too!

Vote YES!

betts
02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm voting yes because first of all, I think the Ford Center needs to be upgraded so that we can be competitive with Tulsa, Wichita and Omaha, all of whom have or are building arenas that are more expensive than the Ford Center. I'd like to think we can hope to be competitive with Kansas City and their new $300 million arena.

I'm voting yes for fun! When I saw people at the Hornets games, I was repeatedly struck by how much joy was in that building. How Oklahoma City loved the Hornets, and they loved us back. I loved seeing families together at the games, and kids proudly wearing Hornets jerseys or trying to win t-shirts. Families of all income levels were at those games, and we frequently saw promos on the big screen showing us that Rasul or Chris Paul had donated so many hundred tickets to underprivileged kids so that they could go to the games.

I'm voting yes for a new image for Oklahoma City. Frankly, when my husband told me he was looking at a job here (we lived in Denver at the time), I told him: "My family has traveled all over the country on vacations, and I've never been to Oklahoma. I'm sure there's a good reason we skipped that state." I knew OU had a good football team, and that was the extent of my knowledge. Other people think we're still living in a dustbowl, that we're a bunch of hicks and rednecks, and all the negative connotations you get when you hear the word "Okie". Or they remember the Murrah bombing. Otherwise, we're some amorphous place somewhere in the middle of the country, that is assuredly dusty and not worth a visit. If you have an NBA team, you're on ESPN 100 nights a year, and your team is discussed in every major newspaper in the country. When you have a televised game on ESPN or TNT, they show shots of your city and arena as they break for or come back from commercials. Attractive shots. People will actually see Oklahoma City on television, not to mention perhaps seeing it in a whole new light.

I'm voting yes for an additional entertainment option downtown that will support our Bricktown restaurants, encourage downtown living and perhaps the return of retail. Centralization of the city would actually help make things like light rail more reasonable, at there would actually be a place many people are going. I believe an NBA team is good for the city part of Oklahoma City. If more people live in the city, as opposed to the suburbs, that increases the tax base, and actually helps our city schools.

I'm voting yes because I've already voted for parks, museums, the Redhawks Stadium, the Bricktown Canal, purchasing land for our new central park, money for schools. None of these things alone can change Oklahoma City, but they can as a whole transform our city, and that includes an NBA team.

Last, and not at all least, I'm voting yes because I am so thankful that the Sonics owners care enough about Oklahoma City to spend almost half a billion dollars of their own money to bring a team here for all of us to enjoy. I'll gladly fix up our arena to create a place I won't be ashamed to have other NBA teams and fans see.

Doug Loudenback
02-24-2008, 12:03 PM
I think I've explained my answer to this question already.

flintysooner
02-24-2008, 12:29 PM
I would vote yes if I could. I will not move to Oklahoma City proper though until after the election.

I am in favor because the downtown part of Oklahoma City needs to have more and unique attractions. An improved Ford Center greatly improves that possibility. In addition the amount of spending that is proposed seems moderate to me and the tax package to pay for it also seems reasonable, considered, and less obtrusive than other methods.

In addition the improvements will benefit all events to be held at the Ford Center and therefore the entire community. Moreover there is the possibility of getting an NBA team at a very low cost to the City. That's a plus to me but I favor the proposal even if that were not a possibility.

One big thing that makes me favor this is the way that the previous MAPS projects were managed. I feel more comfortable with the leadership of the City when it comes to such programs.

I was just at the Civic Center not long ago and it is a wonderful venue. There are several other attractions downtown that are simply not available anywhere else in the metropolitan area. I am in favor of more of that kind of thing. The Ford Center provides a unique facility for any number of events and opportunities.

Karried
02-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Some yahoo voting NO on the NewsOK boards referred to not wanting the 'hip hop' culture or something similar in OK ... what a moron - thinly veiled racism at it's best .. I can bet he never attended a game.

Prior to the Hornets, I had never attended a game and couldn't tell you one thing about basketball. It only took one game and I was hooked! I loved everything about it..... the kids loved it, the fans were so enthused and it felt great to be a part of something so electric and all of us cheering for the same outcome.

It's seems to me that those who actually attended professional basketball games are the ones who see the value in having a team here, and for those who never have, you just don't know what you're missing.

Vote Yes!

betts
02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
I think there was hardly a Hornet that I wouldn't have been delighted to have as a friend, a neighbor or even a son in law. Except for maybe Birdman. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have wanted him as a son in law......

Chris Paul, the guy who loves his mom and bowling a bad influence? I am going to have to digress and tell a cute Chris Paul story for those who may never watch PTI on ESPN. This is a sports show, and they had Chris Paul on one day, after he'd been selected by People magazine for their "Sexiest men" issue. Apparently Chris had never seen the picture that was going to appear in the magazine, and PTI happened to have a large copy of it. They flashed it on the screen, and in the photo Chris was shirtless, sitting down, wearing practice shorts or warmup pants...can't remember which. He looked at the picture and his mouth dropped. The first words out of his mouth were, "My mom's gonna kill me."

metro
02-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Just wondered what everyone is doing (those in favor of the vote) to help get the word out. I know betts has picked up stuff from the chamber. I went by yesterday and got some bumper stickers (put it on my vehicle), got some restaurant tents and some posters. Took them by several restaurants in Midtown and they were glad to put them up. Let's do all we can to spread the word. I know the restaurant business will be glad if this proposal passes!

FritterGirl
02-28-2008, 09:33 AM
I've got my "home made" (computer-generated) sign in the back window of my car. As I drive a small SUV you can't miss it if you are behind me. So, that's great advertising, especially in morning and afternoon traffic.

I picked up some yard signs. One is in my yard, one I took to my parents.

I've secured at least 6 votes between myself, husband, parents and in-laws.

I am also culling information to put into a fact sheet and will be sending that out to my email list, and to my mom's email distribution list.

I'm pretty much promoting it to all of my friends, family and anyone who will take 2 seconds to listen to me speak on the issue.

jbrown84
02-28-2008, 09:50 AM
I would go by the chamber office and get stickers, since it's so close to me, but I'm sure they will be closed by the time I get home from work (6:00).

FritterGirl
02-28-2008, 10:00 AM
They delivered the yard signs to my office.

I emailed Drew Dugan at the chamber and one of their staff delivered the signs right to me.

You might call and see if they are still offering the service.

Karried
02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Speaking of.. I want to thank betts once again for braving the cold icy weather to drop signs off at my house!!

My neighbors have them in their yards too and I've put a few in the addition ...

betts, when the NBA comes, I'll look you up in our new and improved Ford Center and buy you a drink!

JB1975
02-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Forgive the hyperbole, but my reasons for voting yes are a little more abstract.

I've lived in Oklahoma City virtually my whole life. I was born in Edmond. I'm so sick and tired of the "We can't" culture of central Oklahoma. This is a chance to put it to bed once and for all. I can honestly say I have not seen one reason not to vote yes for this. All reasons to vote "no" all come down to a myopic attitude of class envy and stinginess.

I fully and readily realize that Clay Bennett is going to make money off of me. So what?! Every shareholder of every parent company of every brand of every product I consume makes money off of me. Every time I eat at a restaurant somebody is making money off of me. Every tiime I go to Bricktown somebody makes money off me when I park my car.

Tell me what I have to gain by voting "no." My pockets are lined with a few more pennies? I keep Bennett and McClendon from making a little more money than they already have? I need better reasons than that.

I think Oklahoma City is worth the risk of a few pennies and a couple of "millionaires" being a little richer. If you haven't noticed, there are a lot of rich people in this world. Businessmen make money. It happens.

bornhere
02-28-2008, 11:18 AM
Every time I eat at a restaurant somebody is making money off of me.

And nobody came to me and said, "You need to pay additional sales tax to support this restaurant so JB1975 can feel proud of Oklahoma City."

I'm also sick of the 'we can't' culture. The culture that says 'we can't' be a worthwhile city unless we prostrate ourselves before the NBA and whoever else comes down the pike after that.

Two and a half years ago, most people here thought we had a great city. We had finished MAPS, were working on MAPS for Kids and had other progressive projects on the drawing table. There was some grumbling amongst the downtown suits about the populist taint all this seemed to carry, but mostly city residents were satisfied with what had transpired - more than satisfied, in fact.

Now the people who were once telling us what a great city we had become are telling us we have magically morphed into some dreary hick town - a 'minor league city,' by the inference of the chamber's campaign, that isn't worth living in and is hurtling toward some dark abyss. We're on the brink of a horrifying demise that can be averted ONLY if we jazz up the Ford Center to the NBA's standards and cave in to whatever concessions and subsidies the Sonics partners demand in the coming months.

I don't buy it. We didn't get where we did today by reverting back to the sixties/seventies approach of sucking up to the local elites. The people who back this on the official level would like to reprogram city residents to think the way they did back in the 'good old days,' when Oklahoma City's manifest destiny was to please Mssrs. Gaylord/McGee/Vose et al. and we all thought what the Oklahoman told us to think.

And some people, apparently uncomfortable with opinions not dictated to them from on high, are buying into it.

JB1975
02-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Again I ask what the benefit is of voting "no." What do you gain from it? The pride of....what?.....not "giving something to millionaires?"

Is that what it's about really? Class envy and pride? Surely not.

jbrown84
02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Now the people who were once telling us what a great city we had become are telling us we have magically morphed into some dreary hick town - a 'minor league city,' by the inference of the chamber's campaign, that isn't worth living in and is hurtling toward some dark abyss. We're on the brink of a horrifying demise that can be averted ONLY if we jazz up the Ford Center to the NBA's standards and cave in to whatever concessions and subsidies the Sonics partners demand in the coming months.

It's called not resting on our laurels. No one ever said two years ago that we'd "made it" or were done with this progress. This is the next step.

Karried
02-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Two and a half years ago, most people here thought we had a great city.

Isn't it time that people everywhere thought we had a great city?

This is a way for that to happen. News ,media, positive articles etc etc...

As you've stated, you were Born Here, well, this is your home and you are proud of it.. but for those not born here, they need a little more incentive to appreciate (or even pay attention to or notice ) all that OK has to offer.

I wasn't bornhere and I know and have seen the perception and stereotypes of OK from others. You can imagine all that I heard when telling friends and family we were relocating to OK. I won't go into it, but it wasn't pretty.

Suffice it to say, when I moved here it became a mini mission of mine to get the word out that we do have a great city/state here.

When the Hornets were here, I was never more proud of the way the city embraced them and made them feel at home. I think that's when I finally started to feel less homesick.

What better way to get noticed in a positive light than to have a Professional NBA team? We saw what happened when we hosted the Hornets... yes, it was a different circumstance but if you go back and read any of the articles, they were always complimentary.

Companies move their employees to thriving, growing areas and employees accept those transfers based on quality of life including entertainment options such as concerts and pro sports.

If you want a retirement community, pass a Bingo tax.. if you want a young, excited work force, give them something to do here - like attend NBA games.

Vote Yes on March 4th!

betts
02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm also sick of the 'we can't' culture. The culture that says 'we can't' be a worthwhile city unless we prostrate ourselves before the NBA and whoever else comes down the pike after that.

Two and a half years ago, most people here thought we had a great city. We had finished MAPS, were working on MAPS for Kids and had other progressive projects on the drawing table. There was some grumbling amongst the downtown suits about the populist taint all this seemed to carry, but mostly city residents were satisfied with what had transpired - more than satisfied, in fact.

I think you miss the point, bornhere. It's not a we can't culture, so much a it will happen a lot faster culture. Just out of curiousity, though, which cities do you consider bastions of culture and worthiness that don't have professional teams?

I'm going to have to use myself as an example, because I have no other. Since I'm not a very unique person, I'm guessing there are others who think like me.

Before the Hornets came, I'd been to Bricktown perhaps twice. I'd never been to a Redhawks game, and I rarely dropped below 50th street for entertainment. I drove to Dallas for NBA games a few times a year, and spent more time thinking about where and when I was going away than almost anything else for entertainment. When the Hornets came, I suddenly started going downtown. I liked the feel downtown, and I liked what we had going on down there. When housing in the Triangle started going up, I started thinking about moving there. I would never in a million years have done that had the Hornets not come. I started going to the movies downtown, started walking at the river instead of Lake Hefner and generally changed my whole attitude toward the city. When the Hornets left, all of a sudden we were without entertainment that our family had had together for two years. I started thinking about moving away, because I wanted to live somewhere with more entertainment options than I had before. I'm waiting to see if we get an NBA team before I decide whether to move downtown, and if we don't, I may seriously consider moving to be near more of my children. Without more entertainment options downtown, we're still a sprawling, amorphous city/town with no heart or center. It will take a lot longer for good things to happen here, I personally believe. It may even take the heart out of the mayor, and you may find he doesn't push for a MAPS 3 like he might if we have a team. I'm not saying I'm unique, but rather that I may not be, which is more worrisome if we end up without an NBA team.

JB1975
02-28-2008, 02:04 PM
I think you miss the point, bornhere. It's not a we can't culture, so much a it will happen a lot faster culture. Just out of curiousity, though, which cities do you consider bastions of culture and worthiness that don't have professional teams?

I'm going to have to use myself as an example, because I have no other. Since I'm not a very unique person, I'm guessing there are others who think like me.

Before the Hornets came, I'd been to Bricktown perhaps twice. I'd never been to a Redhawks game, and I rarely dropped below 50th street for entertainment. I drove to Dallas for NBA games a few times a year, and spent more time thinking about where and when I was going away than almost anything else for entertainment. When the Hornets came, I suddenly started going downtown. I liked the feel downtown, and I liked what we had going on down there. When housing in the Triangle started going up, I started thinking about moving there. I would never in a million years have done that had the Hornets not come. I started going to the movies downtown, started walking at the river instead of Lake Hefner and generally changed my whole attitude toward the city. When the Hornets left, all of a sudden we were without entertainment that our family had had together for two years. I started thinking about moving away, because I wanted to live somewhere with more entertainment options than I had before. I'm waiting to see if we get an NBA team before I decide whether to move downtown, and if we don't, I may seriously consider moving to be near more of my children. Without more entertainment options downtown, we're still a sprawling, amorphous city/town with no heart or center. It will take a lot longer for good things to happen here, I personally believe. It may even take the heart out of the mayor, and you may find he doesn't push for a MAPS 3 like he might if we have a team. I'm not saying I'm unique, but rather that I may not be, which is more worrisome if we end up without an NBA team.
Fantastic post.

For me, this isn't just about the NBA. It's about growth as a community, both economically and culturally. It doesn't offend me that I might have to dish out a little bit of my tax dollars to make that happen. I'm sorry, but I'm not that stingy....errr, I mean.....uber-conservative to the point that that offends me being asked to do that. Are people so out of touch that they don't realize that in order to progress as a community the public has to line the pockets of the private sector? It's a reality.

I hope to not come across as rude, but I am personally sick and tired of Oklahoma's red-stateness (I know, not a real term....) holding us back!!. LET'S GROW!!!!

metro
02-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I don't buy it. We didn't get where we did today by reverting back to the sixties/seventies approach of sucking up to the local elites. The people who back this on the official level would like to reprogram city residents to think the way they did back in the 'good old days,' when Oklahoma City's manifest destiny was to please Mssrs. Gaylord/McGee/Vose et al. and we all thought what the Oklahoman told us to think.

And some people, apparently uncomfortable with opinions not dictated to them from on high, are buying into it.

Again bornhere, you're missing the point! We wouldn't be here where we are today if it weren't for MAPS, MAPS extension, and MAPS for Kids. These are the taxes that got us where we are today. Before that, all we had was "The Big House" aka State Fair Arena and the old beat up half -a$$ baseball stadium at the fairgrounds (which still have a long wayz to go BTW). Just think if these same naysayers won back in 1993. We'd be going to the fairgrounds for our "entertainment options". There was no Bricktown other than Spaghetti Warehouse, no Ford Center, no canal, no Bricktown Ballpark, etc. etc. Al Gord didn't "invent" the internet yet. The internet has revolutionized the way we do business these days.

As someone said, the key that everyone is missing now is, we don't want to rest on our laurels, now that we've finally achieved something, or else we will fall into that old mentality of the Government is out to get us and "Oklahoma Sucks" that everyone used to have. Look at our PRIDE now, we're a proud people again. Let's take it to the next step, not plateau. I'm not saying we'll fall into an abyss like others state, but if you're not moving forward and taking big leaps, then you're eventually going to go backwards in this global economy.

jbrown84
02-29-2008, 10:09 AM
a bulletin/blog I just posted on myspace:

to my OKC friends:

Many of you are aware of the constant whining that there is nothing to do in Oklahoma City. I personally disagree, and although I hear this less these days, I still hear it often.

Since the mid-nineties, OKC has has a one cent sales tax that has paid for the MAPS Projects as well as MAPS for Kids. Without MAPS we would have no Bricktown, no improved Civic Center Music Hall, no downtown library or Art Museum. The Oklahoma River would still be a ditch and our arena options would the the state fair and the Myriad. Without MAPS as a catalyst, we would not have seen the major private investment in downtown, midtown, and the surrounding area.

On Tuesday, we the citizens of OKC have the choice to extend that tax for 15 months. This 1% sales tax will go towards improving the Ford Center, which was built bare bones as an original MAPS project. It also will fund a city-owned NBA practice facility in the event that we get a team. These improvement will make the arena a stronger competitor for events in the region as Tulsa completes it's 200-million dollar arena, Wichita preps to build one, and Dallas and KC already have 300-million dollar arenas. This $115 million dollar upgrade will make the FC nicer aesthetically, improve functionality, and provide more and better amenities. These improvement are not only good for the general use of the arena, but they are also necessary to secure an NBA team for OKC--something that will stimulate our economy and put OKC permanently in the national eye for positive reasons.

The opposition will tell you that this is "maps for millionaires" and that the city shouldn't be giving away it's money to the wealthy owners of the Sonics, who could pay for it themselves. This is misleading, because it is impossible for the Sonics owners to pay for arena upgrades when they have not yet been given permission to move the team from Seattle. Also, the arena is city-owned, so the city must pay for improvements. They will also tell you that we don't need this to get the NBA. This is a lie. Clay Bennett himself has gone on record saying a NO vote means NO NBA.

Please go to the polls on Tuesday and vote YES to improve the Ford Center. YES for the NBA. YES for more great events at the Ford Center. YES for more entertainment options in downtown and Bricktown. YES for OKC's continued progress.

Patrick
02-29-2008, 10:23 AM

Not true at all. I don't think anyone here has said OKC has fallen back to this. But, we all want to continue the momentum, and not stop. If we stop now, it will be a surrender of the momentum we've gained from MAPS 1 and MAPS for Kids.
We can never stop improving our city. Stopping is what we did in the 80's, and we can't go back to that.

Patrick
02-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I notice people keep saying that, 5 years from now, the city is going to back and ask for more money for the Ford Center.

Well, that might be true. We have to maintain our facility, and not allow it to fall into disrepair, and fall behind arenas in other cities. We need to continually be improving our city, and its facilities. I think part of the problem with our city in the past is that we haven't kept up our facilities. Just look at All Sports Stadium. Had it been improved over time, it probably wouldn't have fallen into such disrepair in the end. Same thing with other facilities we own.

I personally wouldn't be opposed to a major overhaul of the ballpark or Civic Center...I bet in 5 years, they'll probably need some improvements as well.