View Full Version : Weight gain caused by lack of sleep?

Patrick
12-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Hmmm...first it's the fat virus, now a lack of sleep? What do you guys think. This is interesting!

-----------
"Why lost sleep affects weight gain
Studies link appetite hormones with shut-eye
People who put on a few extra pounds may be able to blame a lack of sleep for the added weight, according to two separate studies published on Monday.

Losing sleep can raise levels of hormones linked with appetite and eating behavior, the researchers said.

In one study, people who slept only four hours a night for two nights had an 18 percent reduction in leptin, a hormone that tells the brain there is no need for more food, and a 28 percent increase in ghrelin, which triggers hunger.

The young men in the study also tended to eat more sweet and starchy foods when sleep was cut short.

“We don’t yet know why food choice would shift,” said Eve Van Cauter, a professor of medicine at the University of Chicago who led the study. “Since the brain is fueled by glucose, we suspect it seeks simple carbohydrates when distressed by lack of sleep.”

“This is the first study to show that sleep is a major regulator of these two hormones and to correlate the extent of the hormonal changes with the magnitude of the hunger change.” Van Cauter said. “But we are finding that people tend to replace reduced sleep with added calories ...”

Van Cauter and colleagues wrote in the Annals of Internal Medicine that they studied 12 healthy men in their early 20s. They measured circulating levels of leptin and ghrelin before the study, after two nights of only four hours in bed, and after two nights of ten hours in bed.

“We were particularly interested in the ratio of the two hormones -- the balance between ghrelin and leptin,” Van Cauter said. After four hours of sleep, the ratio of ghrelin jumped 71 percent compared to a night when the men slept nine hours.

The sleep-deprived men chose candy, cookies and cake over fruit, vegetables or dairy products.

A second study found that the less people sleep, the more they weigh, using a measure called body mass index, which scales weight to height. It also found lower leptin levels and higher ghrelin levels in people who slept less.

Dr. Emmanuel Mignot of Stanford University in California and colleagues examined 1,000 people in the Wisconsin Sleep Cohort Study, measuring each person’s sleep habits, as well as sleep on the night before the exam and leptin and ghrelin levels.

They found people who consistently slept five hours or less per night had on average 14.9 more ghrelin and 15.5 percent lower leptin levels than those who slept eight hours a night.

“Our results demonstrate an important relationship between sleep and metabolic hormones,” the researchers wrote in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal.

“In Western societies, where chronic sleep restriction is common and food is widely available, changes in appetite regulatory hormones with sleep curtailment may contribute to obesity.”

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
12-08-2004, 12:13 AM
and here I thought it was just fat blood...go fig

Ms.Relaxationstation
12-08-2004, 12:40 AM
OF course it couldnt be that people who are up late are just up eating everything is the fridge.lol

Patrick
12-08-2004, 12:43 AM
Anyone ever heard of sleep walkers who make trips to the fridge.....they had a story about this some time ago on 60 Minutes, or some show like that. Apparently some people actually do eat late night snacks without realizing it.

Midtowner
12-08-2004, 07:52 AM
I don't like these studies. If people would just try to eat with moderation and integrate excercise into their lives, weight wouldn't be a problem (barring gland problems and things like that).

mranderson
12-08-2004, 08:07 AM
I don't like these studies. If people would just try to eat with moderation and integrate excercise into their lives, weight wouldn't be a problem (barring gland problems and things like that).

Of course, this was indirectly covered, however, an eating disorder called binge eating disorder also causes weight gain. I am living proof. :treadmill

Midtowner
12-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Of course, this was indirectly covered, however, an eating disorder called binge eating disorder also causes weight gain. I am living proof. :treadmill

From what I can come up with as far as research on the study, Bing Eating Disorder can be taken care of through willpower, moderation and excercise. Therefore, my formula still works :D

Maybe some anti-depressants as well since patients for this disorder seem to be more susceptible to depression. None of the articles I could find were very clear whether this was a behavioral disorder or something actually physiological (none of the articles were very committal either way).

mranderson
12-08-2004, 08:26 AM
From what I can come up with as far as research on the study, Bing Eating Disorder can be taken care of through willpower, moderation and excercise. Therefore, my formula still works :D

Maybe some anti-depressants as well since patients for this disorder seem to be more susceptible to depression. None of the articles I could find were very clear whether this was a behavioral disorder or something actually physiological (none of the articles were very committal either way).

Trust me. "will power" and the rest does not always work with binge eating disorder. I should know. I have it. It also can take an eating disorder clinic and medication.

Patrick
12-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Most antidepressants actually CAUSE weight gain, except for Wellbutrin. Scientists have shows the there does seem to be some genetic chemical imbalance that can cause binge eating disorder. Of course, proper counselnig can fix most chemical imbalances....I don't believe that genetics are 100% involved in developing illness.

Working with a good personal trainer and drastically changhing one's diet (I don't man jsut cutting back on certain foods either....I mean eating nothing but fruits and twigs) can help.

metro
12-11-2004, 10:07 AM
I'm trying to gain weight anyways, this weight gainer shake stuff is natsy good thing I dont sleep much as it is......hehe