View Full Version : Hometown Buffet (closed)

Jay
07-29-2005, 10:06 PM
Hometown Buffet sale reported

Hometown Buffet at 1012 S Interstate 240 Service Road in Oklahoma City has been sold, commercial real estate advisers Sperry Van Ness said Monday.

The property, which is near Krispy Kreme, Red Lobster and Steak & Ale, reportedly sold for $2.15 million. Jason Little of Sperry Van Ness represented the seller and Hooman Ghaffari of Sperry Van Ness-Los Angeles represented the buyer

linze
02-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Noticed today that the Hometown Buffet off 1-240 and South Western was closed. Hmmm that's odd because they were always busy and the parking lot was always full.

Linze!

OKCDrummer77
02-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Interesting. I just noticed this week that the Fire Mountain on N. Penn was closed. Coincidence?

Martin
02-22-2008, 07:13 PM
it was in the oklahoman about a week ago... both are owned by the same parent company and were part of a string of nationwide closings. -M

Easy180
02-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Crap...I was hoping it would stay open for another 35 years when I would finally be interested in eating there

Karried
02-23-2008, 10:53 AM
lol... Blame it on the mayor and his healthy eating campaign.... I can't possibly imagine a buffet not doing well in OK.. j/k

The other day I was in the airport in Las Vegas and we were sitting in a section waiting to depart... I noticed these groups of really, really big people meandering in and sitting in the OKC departure section... I'm talking have to buy 2-3 seats big... not trying to be mean but there were quite a few obese people in this waiting area and a few groups that were just downright stereotypical - one sporting a mullet of all things ...

I started thinking, well maybe our Mayor is on to something after all.

lo and behold, a flight to Minnesota was called and the entire room was emptied by these people getting on the plane - to Minnesota .. lol, so it's just not us!

John
02-23-2008, 04:03 PM
It's always good news to hear a buffet go out of business!

Rage_Kage
03-07-2008, 06:35 PM
It was a franchise so i dont understant why the issues within ryan's corporate would affect it.

SoonerQueen
03-07-2008, 09:30 PM
I wish we'd get a Bob Evans here, or a Marie Calenders in the city. Fuddruckers have the best hamburgers. It would be cool to have them here. Shoney's used to have the best breakfast buffet. They need to come back.

Martin
03-08-2008, 06:31 AM
there's a marie callender's just south of main in norman. -M

SoonerDave
03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
A Fuddrucker's was going into one of the outparcels in the 240 Penn Plaza, but something happened, the deal fell through, and Charleston's is now in precisely the spot Fudd's was supposed to occupy. In fact, there was a website for the OKC Fudds for the longest time (and a local OKC phone number), but it died along with the restaurant. Pity.

The Fudd's that used to be at I-240 and Western was *great*. The Fudd's I ate in last year in the Dallas area was only so-so.

BTW, someone else cheered the demise of "any buffet," and I have to disagree. Well-done buffet restaurants are a great choice for large groups and families with diverse tastes. Hometown *used* to be very good, surprisingly so to me, but it deteriorated in the last few years such that it was not entirely surprising when it finally closed.

ljbab728
03-29-2012, 11:17 PM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-hometown-buffet-closes-as-parent-company-works-through-second-bankruptcy/article/3661876

Options for this type of dining seem to continue to dwindle.

SoonerQueen
03-30-2012, 01:51 AM
We drove by there tonight and it was closed. It was a good place to eat at one time. We had our rehearsal dinner there back in 1977.

oneforone
03-30-2012, 02:23 AM
It doesn't surprise me. The last few times I ate their it was worse then school or hospital cafeteria grade food.

Brett
03-30-2012, 04:39 AM
We drove by there tonight and it was closed. It was a good place to eat at one time. We had our rehearsal dinner there back in 1977.

I never knew Hometown Buffet was around in 1977. I will say that I enjoyed Hometown Buffet's food more than Golden Corral's food. I actually liked the weekend breakfast buffet more than the regular lunch and dinner food. I stopped going years ago when the buffet price started to steadily increase.

jdcf
03-30-2012, 07:06 AM
We occasionally ate breakfast at Hometown Buffet and always thought it was good. Sorry to hear that the restaurant is closing.

I am not generally a fan of all you can eat type places but I do miss the cafeteria choices that we used to have in OKC.

Larry OKC
03-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Place was generally busy but not really surprised given the parent companies troubles...the latest General Manager of the place didn't even know about the bankruptcy until I told him about it...HT had been in that location for quite a while now, was some mom-n-pop place for decades then went thru a series of buffet places until HT lnaded there. Too bad as I ate most Sunday dinners there. They had great tasting ham, turkey and some of the best dressing. Other things could be hit or miss.

soonermike81
03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
wow, i haven't been there in years. are both of them closing? from what i remember, there was one on I-240 as well. it used to be a buffet called The Choice, then changed to HT at some point, but never knew if it lasted.

Martin
03-30-2012, 09:06 AM
from what i remember, there was one on I-240 as well.

that's been closed for several years. the location is currently an asian buffet called hibachi. before it was 'the choice' i believe it was called 'duffs'...

-M

oneforone
03-30-2012, 09:39 AM
I never knew Hometown Buffet was around in 1977. I will say that I enjoyed Hometown Buffet's food more than Golden Corral's food. I actually liked the weekend breakfast buffet more than the regular lunch and dinner food. I stopped going years ago when the buffet price started to steadily increase.

It was originally known as Heritage House. It Changed to Hometown years later.

corpsman
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Many, many years ago a brother of my wife and some of his friends went to Home Town for their evening meal. They were young, unmarried men who frequented buffets because it was to their economic advantage. They could make rent payments and car payments and party if the ate somewhere where they didn't have to spend a lot of cash and could fill up on food. One evening the duty manager at Home Town approached their table and informed the group that they had, indeed, eaten all they could and requested that they exit the premises when they had finished the food which they were consuming at that moment. He remained nearby to observe that there were no more trips through the buffet line and that the group left the premises upon completion of their current food portions. :ohno:

RadicalModerate
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
never mind . . .

kevinpate
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Wasn't locally, but in younger days I was a party to such conversations from time to time. Tried not to take them too personally so long as there wasn't a lot of rudeness involved.

kevinpate
03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Sign looks faker than a 3 dollar bill round a football bat, but having pulled a few buffet marathons in my life, I get the sentiment.

Years back there was a local place that did breakfast buffets on the weekends. Usually started up Saturday's on Friday eve near midnight. A lot of us gathered to study late on Friday's and on to dawn, sometimes beyond. We actually ate somewhat light, well sort of anyway, stayed mostly quiet, and tipped well since we held tables so long. Got to know the staff rather well too.

Larry OKC
03-30-2012, 11:47 AM
The Kettle?

Larry OKC
03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Many, many years ago a brother of my wife and some of his friends went to Home Town for their evening meal. They were young, unmarried men who frequented buffets because it was to their economic advantage. They could make rent payments and car payments and party if the ate somewhere where they didn't have to spend a lot of cash and could fill up on food. One evening the duty manager at Home Town approached their table and informed the group that they had, indeed, eaten all they could and requested that they exit the premises when they had finished the food which they were consuming at that moment. He remained nearby to observe that there were no more trips through the buffet line and that the group left the premises upon completion of their current food portions. :ohno:
Now that was probably uncalled for...

Tydude
03-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Hometown buffet is one of the worst food ever i have every had

kevinpate
03-30-2012, 04:17 PM
The Kettle?

Yeppers. The one on W Main. I rarely went to the other one. Even though the Lindsey location was usually closer to me, it was loud any time I did go.

Larry OKC
03-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I miss the Kettle...

Anyway, went by Hometown Buffet today and signs in the window stating that the location was permanently closed ...sorry for the inconvenience ... and they looked forward to seeing you soon at one of their other branded restaurant locations of Hometown, Ryan's Fire Mountain etc. Problem is, according to the Oklahoman, they don't have any locations left in the state since the last Ryan's here and in Tulsa closed in January.

On the positive side, looks like Beverly's will be getting some business as a couple of meeting groups had signs posted letting their members know of the change in locations.

OSUMom
03-31-2012, 11:39 PM

My husband and his friend got kicked out of someplace (Catfish Cabin maybe?) waaaay back a long time ago when they ate too much 'all you can eat shrimp'. They left without paying and the owners let them, they were just happy to see them leave.

bbhill
04-01-2012, 07:44 AM
So are we left with Furr's and multiple Asian buffets?

rcjunkie
04-01-2012, 08:54 AM
If you choose quantity over quality, then the answer is yes.

bbhill
04-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Well, of course. That's what buffets and cafeterias are for! Old people and poor hungry college students.

kevinpate
04-01-2012, 12:26 PM
My husband and his friend got kicked out of someplace (Catfish Cabin maybe?) waaaay back a long time ago when they ate too much 'all you can eat shrimp'. They left without paying and the owners let them, they were just happy to see them leave.

Early 80's, some guys I worked with headed into a favorite eatery with me. It was 'all you can eat' shrimp night and we were out once again to determine just how much that might be for young men with hollow legs.

After we sat down, someone at another table asked the server why don't you you do all you can eat shrimp anymore (news to us as that's why we came.) She looked up, pointed a toward our table of chow hounds and said 'Because of them!'

It's a good thing daggers don't really shoot out of evil eyes, or we might of died right there in our chairs.

ShiroiHikari
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with the "health" craze of the last few years. Or maybe it's just that food costs so damn much these days.

Easy180
04-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I enjoyed the buffet on 240 that had rotating displays where you had to keep walking to get a second serving...Can't remember the name of it but it was a terrible concept

Larry OKC
04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Type of food? Where was it at?

jn1780
04-02-2012, 01:12 PM
I enjoyed the buffet on 240 that had rotating displays where you had to keep walking to get a second serving...Can't remember the name of it but it was a terrible concept

Yeah, the average customer when become exhausted chasing after their food. lol

RadicalModerate
04-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Was it maybe, "Mick C's"?
Perhaps with something resembling a small trumpet as the logo?

jn1780
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Well, I can't imagine eating Chinese food any other way, for lunch anyway. Unless were talking about Genghis Grill or Huhot.

RadicalModerate
04-02-2012, 01:21 PM
Just out of curiosity . . . Do you prefer chopsticks over forks when "dining Chinese"?
By their very nature, chopsticks not only lend to the authenticity of the food provided, they also discourage overeating!

Easy180
04-02-2012, 07:21 PM
Type of food? Where was it at?

Wife is saying it was Duff's Cafeteria but that doesn't ring a bell...It was in the same place as the Hibachi Grill on 240 in between Western and Penn

jn1780
04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Just out of curiosity . . . Do you prefer chopsticks over forks when "dining Chinese"?
By their very nature, chopsticks not only lend to the authenticity of the food provided, they also discourage overeating!

True. Lol, yeah I usually prefer forks. Luckily, Im a tall guy with a fast metabolism.

Larry OKC
04-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Seems there was a Duffs and Choice in that same location years and years ago (decades?) but I don't recall rotating displays at all?? Seems the Choice lived up to its name as they served both pepsi & Coke products...other than Coits, few do that...it is exclusively one brand or the other (with Dr. Pepper sometimes sneaking in with both of them)...LOL

Larry OKC
03-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Oklahoma business window shopping briefs for March 21 | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-business-window-shopping-briefs-for-march-21/article/3767861)

An auction will be held next week at the former Hometown Buffet, 3900 NW 63, to sell remaining fixtures, seating, tables, equipment, appliances and more to prepare the building to be demolished.

Now if we can just get them to stop running their TV commercials in this market...

SoonerDave
03-22-2013, 11:42 AM
Oklahoma business window shopping briefs for March 21 | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-business-window-shopping-briefs-for-march-21/article/3767861)

Now if we can just get them to stop running their TV commercials in this market...

Suspect that building is in pretty rough shape, because I remember going there as a kid when it was "Heritage House Smorgasbord." And that had to be at least 35 years ago, because the last time I ate there was well before the time when my folks divorced (which was 1979). The place had been in operation for some time before that, so the building has to be close to 40 years old.

Goofy way to time-mark something, I realize, but c'est la vie.

Larry OKC
03-22-2013, 12:07 PM
THANK YOU! I have been trying to think of the name of the place that was there when I moved back here in the mid 80s. While the structure has been around for a while, I am sure that improvements were made along the way. Hometown was there for multiple years (if not a decade or 2). The dinning areas got a major reno when hometown went in but can't say what the kitchen areas were like).

SoonerDave
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
THANK YOU! I have been trying to think of the name of the place that was there when I moved back here in the mid 80s. While the structure has been around for a while, I am sure that improvements were made along the way. Hometown was there for multiple years (if not a decade or 2). The dinning areas got a major reno when hometown went in but can't say what the kitchen areas were like).

LOL glad to help :)

I remember Heritage House being one of the very first places to get a self-serve soft-serve ice cream machine on their dessert bar. I'd go over and get a nice bowl of hot apple cobbler and then dunk it with the ice cream....yummm!! :)

Heritage House was a really nice place. Reminds me, incidentally, of the old Underwoods buffets that were, IIRC, more country/bbq themed...there was one over north of 10th on Penn, and also one on SW 59th east of Penn...

Jesseda
03-22-2013, 02:08 PM
LOL glad to help :)

I remember Heritage House being one of the very first places to get a self-serve soft-serve ice cream machine on their dessert bar. I'd go over and get a nice bowl of hot apple cobbler and then dunk it with the ice cream....yummm!! :)

Heritage House was a really nice place. Reminds me, incidentally, of the old Underwoods buffets that were, IIRC, more country/bbq themed...there was one over north of 10th on Penn, and also one on SW 59th east of Penn...

I use to go to that place as kid in the 80s. I remember I use to bug my parents over and over ea time we went for one of those pet rocks they use to sell up by the registers. My parents must have loved that place because we use to drive up from moore to eat almost every other weekend.

boscorama
03-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Love me a trough, 2-3 times a year.

MWCGuy
04-24-2013, 12:27 AM
I did a little research and the new owner of the Hometown property on NW Expressway has the same mailing address as OnCue Express.

Roger S
04-24-2013, 06:52 AM
I did a little research and the new owner of the Hometown property on NW Expressway has the same mailing address as OnCue Express.

Yes, that piece of property is destined to be an OnCue.