View Full Version : Cold & Flu Remedies

kmf563
02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
What are some of your favorite remedies or needs when you are sick?
I read today that what you feed your cold or flu can speed your recovery.

Some of the things they suggested (and gave reasons for) were:
hot tea
honey
lemon
chicken soup
garlic
hot red pepper
oatmeal
yogurt
strawberries
nuts
seeds
cinnamon
ginger fresh or powdered (for upset stomach)

As for personal choices here is what I have to have when I am sick:
Egg drop soup
mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC
Vitamin water
Sprite
OJ
Jalapenos (for sinus issues)
hot tea
popcorn
Motrin
Saltines

FritterGirl
02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Odwalla "Green" or Monster-C juices, and lots of them. They're a bit high in calories during normal periods, but when I'm sick, I can't get enough of them.

Also lots of hot green tea and whole wheat toast with honey.

When I'm really feeling low, tapioca and/or mashed potatoes make the ultimate comfort food.

bandnerd
02-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Gatorade
Dry cinnamon toasties (the malt-o-meal version of cinnamon toast crunch)
Egg drop soup
Taco Bell (only when I am sick do I ever want this stuff)

Some people swear by Pho (Vietnamese noodle soup). Others swear by Airborne. Frankly, I don't think you can reduce the time, really, but you can ease some of the symptoms.

MadMonk
02-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Having just suffered through the flu for the last seven days and an upper respiratory infection that I'm still fighting, I didn't have much of an appetite (but I wasn't nauseous). I've been existing mainly on water and the occasional piece of fruit. I did enjoy some chicken noodle soup with saltines yesterday.

I've lost seven pounds from a week ago. Maybe I should write a book? Call it the "Strain-B Diet". You'll look and feel like Nick Nolte after a three-day binge, but you'll lose the weight.

Oddly, beginning last night I had a craving for a Fillet-O-Fish from McDonalds, that has yet to be satisfied.

betts
02-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Zicam for a cold, Tamiflu for real influenza (fever, chills, cough, muscle aches)

Karried
02-21-2008, 05:35 PM
ahhh, sorry to hear you're sick Madmonk... hope you feel better.

Speaking of Fillet of Fish... omg.. I love those things.. my favorite news lately, the Double Fillet of Fish... whoo!!

Actually, I've switched my alliance to On the Border Fish Tacos.... those have to be my all time new favorite food.

Flu, I can never eat.. but when I do

Top Ramen or Chicken Noodle Soup - I'm so boring

kmf563
02-22-2008, 07:38 AM
Having just suffered through the flu for the last seven days and an upper respiratory infection that I'm still fighting, I didn't have much of an appetite (but I wasn't nauseous). I've been existing mainly on water and the occasional piece of fruit. I did enjoy some chicken noodle soup with saltines yesterday.

I've lost seven pounds from a week ago. Maybe I should write a book? Call it the "Strain-B Diet". You'll look and feel like Nick Nolte after a three-day binge, but you'll lose the weight.

Oddly, beginning last night I had a craving for a Fillet-O-Fish from McDonalds, that has yet to be satisfied.

LOL. Me too. The Strain B Diet doesn't work so well once the flu is over though. As soon as I got taste back - that took about 2 weeks - I headed to the nearest buffet table and shoved as much food as possible in my mouth. I ate so much our server thought I was prego. And I weigh about a buck o five when wet.
Then on the way home, I stopped and grabbed a fish sandwich from McDonalds. I think maybe it's the sauce or protein that we crave.

Redskin 70
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
When I started feeling bad several weeks ago, I went home, got a good STIFF shot of Bourbon and took 4 aspirin.
Went to bed and woke up 5 hours latter feeling just fine.
Now I :tiphat: dont know if that cured anything but I sure didnt care.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-26-2008, 04:05 AM
As somebody who gets the flu MAYBE once every 5 years or so, and it lasts about 2 days tops...Uh...I say...Spend more time outside drinking beer. That's what I do.

I've never had the mumps, measles, mono, black plague, or even the chicken pox. I don't know if this means that I've got an immune system that eats more than I do, or that I've just been the luckiest non-germaphobe I know...So I'm worried about how badly the avian flu is going to hurt me. REALLY WORRIED.

*bites nails*
*dons mask*

flintysooner
02-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Zicam nasal swabs
Emergen-C

Vitamin C IV's if persistent

Faith
03-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Swallow garlic (fresh, whole cut-up)
Vitamin C (Purely C)
Cayenne Pepper (to use for an expectorant