View Full Version : Will Rogers airport gets second N/S to LAX

metro
02-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Oklahoma City airport adds second direct flight to LAX
The Journal Record
February 21, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – A second direct flight from Will Rogers World Airport to Los Angeles was added to support growing business travel to Asian cities, United Airlines spokesman Jeff Kovick said.

When the new flight was added last week, the original flight from Oklahoma City was shifted earlier in the day to coincide with the business day, he said. United’s first successful nonstop flight to Los Angeles International Airport, or LAX, was launched in September 2006.“A 6 a.m. flight from Oklahoma City is good for two reasons: One, it does provide connections to our Asia destinations – Tokyo, Hong Kong, Ho Chi Minh City,” he said.“And, two, our flight times are such that our customers from Oklahoma City can travel to Los Angeles and do business for the day and get back to Oklahoma City that night. Our business customers tell us they like to have that when it’s possible because for businesses it reduces the cost of hotels and for any customer it means they get to sleep in their own bed at night,” Kovick said.

The first flight leaves Oklahoma City at 6 a.m. daily with arrival in Los Angeles at 7:10 a.m.; the return flight arrives in Oklahoma City at 4:36 p.m.The second flight leaves Oklahoma City at 5:17 p.m. with arrival at Los Angeles at 6:27 p.m.; the return flight arrives in Oklahoma City at 11:20 p.m.Los Angeles also serves as a stop to Hawaii, a popular vacation destination, Kovick said. “It’s been one of the more difficult destinations to reach from Oklahoma City, so this should make that easier for customers.”United also offers nonstop routes from Oklahoma City to Denver, Chicago and the Washington area.

jbrown84
02-21-2008, 09:07 AM
For all the wariness we had about Mark Kranenburg, we sure have seen a lot of great things happen since he came.

Pete
02-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree that Kranenburg has done a very good job, especially adding non-stop flights.

This latest addition is particularly good for yours truly. Will make it much easier to come to OKC for a quick trip.

BTW, I'm taking the Ontario/OKC direct flights on ExpressJet for the first time in a couple of weeks. LAX & Burbank are much closer to me but flying nonstop is worth the drive.

Doug Loudenback
02-21-2008, 09:29 AM
I'd be interested to hear about your ExpressJet flight, Pete. My wife's brother lives in Camarillo and we're hoping to visit there this summer. I did take a look at the LA/Ontario map but I couldn't tell (or have forgotten) whether LAX or Ontario would be better for our purpose (of getting to Camarillo).

jbrown84
02-21-2008, 09:30 AM
I will also be trying out the XJet Ontario flight in a couple weeks. SO much better than having a layover.

Pete
02-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I've heard great things about XJet and I'll be sure to share my experience.

Doug, for Camarillo the Burbank (Bob Hope) airport is a little closer than LAX and much less hassle. But also fewer flights. Still you can get there on American, America West and United (all connecting flights).

Ontario is about another 45 minutes past Burbank -- more with traffic.

Karried
02-21-2008, 10:24 AM
A bit off topic but Champion Air was a pretty decent non stop trip to Vegas.. a little more than 2 hours each way.

No frills, blankets, pillows, or peanuts and half a plastic glass of soda but pretty inexpensive if you book through Worry Free Vacations.

We were so silly in Vegas, got to the airport sooo early because we had heard how crazy it was but forgot to note that Champion has a charter area in Terminal 2 so you don't have to deal with all of the commercial traffic.. we breezed through security and check in in about 10 minutes... that 2 hour flight turned into a total 5 hour trip with a few technical difficulties from the plane. lol..

I didn't really care, after a week in Vegas, sleeping in the airport was fine with me, I needed a nap!

metro
02-21-2008, 10:28 AM
I agree Karried, the Champion Air flight to Vegas can't be beat. Except last time we were on our honeymoon and had an early flight, only to get to the airport and find out our flight was delayed 5 1/2 hours. We could have slept in after all. But you can't beat the price and speed of their flights.

venture
02-21-2008, 03:23 PM
The joys of charter airlines...they can come with long ass delays, but they'll still end up getting you there eventually. They have to...otherwise your money doesn't get release from the escro account into their pockets. :)

I'm glad the Journal Record finally picked up on the additional flight to LAX, even though we've know about it for months now.

For those that haven't flown ExpressJet yet, definitely take the opportunity to do so. It may not last much longer if their BOD meetings go as planned.

jbrown84
02-21-2008, 04:07 PM
It may not last much longer if their BOD meetings go as planned.

Meaning...?

venture
02-22-2008, 02:19 AM
ExpressJet has several outspoken members moving to take control of the board. Thier first course of business is to completely shut down the "branded" flying and focus only on the at-risk flying they do for Delta and Continental. So for the a dozen or cities, with OKC, that enjoy their higher level of service - it'll all go away. It is one of those situations where having a lot of people pack the flights will make little difference. The branded operation as a whole is destroying their cash position and caused them to post a loss for last year. We'll see what happens.