View Full Version : Debit card numbers compromised?

SoonerDave
02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
All:

This comes as a warning I'm putting together more or less 'in the public interest," as I've not heard anything about it more broadly.

Over the last few weeks, I've come across several people who have been notified that their debit card number has been deemed "compromised" due to a breach in the credit card network centered somewhere around the northeastern part of the US.

Some card numbers are apparently only on a list of potentially compromised numbers, while others have already reported losses from their checking accounts.

We received information that our debit card number was on such a list, and the card was reissued. Fortunately, we experienced no loss as a result, but it is clear that there is some rather substantial known fraudulent activity going on.

Be VERY careful with your debit cards!!! Sometimes, I wonder if the convenience of a debit card is worth the risk!

-SD

FRISKY
02-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Did the number actually change, or did they just send you a duplicate card?

SoonerDave
02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
New number was issued.

BDP
02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Sometimes, I wonder if the convenience of a debit card is worth the risk!

Especially when you can use a credit card with almost no risk to the consumer.

Patrick
02-19-2008, 06:34 PM
That's why I've switched from using my debit card to just using my credit card, and paying it off every month. I'd rather thieves have access to my credit card than to my checking/savings account. At least it's easier to clean up a mess when credit card fraud is involved, than it is to clean up a mess with your bank accounts.

OKCTalker
02-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Radio guy Clark Howard frequently mentions the problems and risks with debit cards, which he refers to as "fake Visa cards." Link: clarkhoward.com: Clarchives clarkhoward - Clark Howard's Show Notes debit cards (http://clarkhoward.com/shownotes/category/7/40/225/)

jason_b
02-20-2008, 11:32 PM
I will probably continue to use my debit card, as we don't do credit (except for the house loan of course). I did have my card stolen and used before, and MidFirst Bank was very helpful in taking care of us in that situation. Also, you can set a daily transaction limit on a debit card as well.