View Full Version : Gift Ideas

Keith
12-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Ok, Christmas is just around the corner, so here is the 10 million dollar question. What do you give somebody who has everything, or can buy anything they want :noldus: ? I am not a shopper....as a matter of fact, I think I would rather have a root canal than to go shopping. When I go shopping, I know exactly what I am going to buy. I buy it and then I get out of Dodge :ridem: .

I need some gift ideas. I am looking for something unique, inexpensive, and legal :wink:

floater
12-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Keith, help us out here! Are we talking about a guy, gal, a relative, your SO, who? Then you go for what their interests are. And ask yourself this: would this person like something practical, or something symbolic/special that's unique to your relationship? Another tactic would be to ask those who know that person well what they would like.

Patrick
12-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Well, gift certificates are always nice, but you did say unique....gift certificates aren't unique. If the person likes sweets, try Cookie Bouquet at May Ave. and Wilshire (2929 W Wilshire Blvd)....they have some unique stuff. Help us out by responding to floater's comments. What is the age of the person? What are their interests? If you don't want to post here, give me a call or PM/email me and maybe we can talk!

Ms.Relaxationstation
12-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Here I go again...but sentimental stuff is always good for people who have everything. For example, if it's a wife or GF then something that reminds her of a time you two spent together....if it's a father/mother sometimes a small lil photo album with pictures and written words that talk about that time in their life ( especially good when grandkids afre involved). How about a self-made coupon book. (free back rub, I do dishes tonight, kid free day, etc)

Patrick
12-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Keith, relaxationstation made me think of something......we buy an "Entertainment Book" every year....they're full of all sorts of coupons for restaurants and stores. Many of the coupons are "buy one get one free!" The book is extremely thick and just loaded with coupons. We always buy ours at the Credit Union Service Center at Memorial Rd. and Penn....NW corner near Pier One! They're always useful, especially if you go out a lot.

Another idea:
Megan got me a pretty creative gift last year....she took 12 of her favorite pics of us, took them up to Wal-Greens, and had them make a personalized 2004 calendar. I just love the thing. I'll be sad to see the year end! She coordinated the pics with the different seasons. Wal-Greens did a superb job on it, but I think other organizations make them as well....I saw an advertisement for them at Kinko's the other day. If it's for your wife, you might consider it!

Another idea:
Make her a scrap book with pics, detailing your past year (that is, if the gift is for your wife)!

Again, a lot of it depends on who the gift is for.

Keith
12-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Sorry about that everyone, I was rather vague in what I was asking for. My mom and dad are retired, and don't need anything. Whatever they want, they buy. I guess they could use gift certificates to their favorite restaurant or something. When I ask mom what dad wants, she tells me that she has no idea. Same with my dad concerning my mom.

Then there is my brother-in-law. He is in his 50's, sells real estate (which has been slow for him), and I know very little of what his interests are. We don't talk very much and I don't see him much. My sister is no help in the matter.

I've already taken care of my wife. I got her a new weedeater that I hope to borrow when spring gets here. Just kidding, ladies...please don't beat me up. Now that I think about it, what DID I get her?

mranderson
12-08-2004, 07:29 AM
With my mom, my dad would give her a vacuum, microwave, dishwasher, and similar things. Of course, once in a while, he would throw in a new car or a rock for her finger for good measure. For their 35 aniversary, he gave her a cemetery plot.

Gift cards are the answer. Or you could do what my parents do for me... C-a-s-h! :Smiley193

Midtowner
12-08-2004, 08:04 AM
I always look for something they already have and use, then buy something better.

It's a formula that has yet to fail.

floater
12-08-2004, 08:26 AM
I've already taken care of my wife. I got her a new weedeater that I hope to borrow when spring gets here. Just kidding, ladies...please don't beat me up. Now that I think about it, what DID I get her?

Lol.

Well, I'm in a similar situation in that my parents pretty much buy what they want. They rarely drop by bookstores, so I buy them books on things they like. My dad regularly watches 60 Minutes, so I got him a book by Andy Rooney. Or try to recall something that you both talked about and use that to guide you.

But then, you could take the easy route and simply ask what they want. If they say, "Oh, anything," then push harder -- they will cave in, and appreciate your insistence!

Patrick
12-08-2004, 10:36 PM
Keith, what interests do your mom and dad have?

Keith
12-09-2004, 07:00 AM
They both like to work in the yard, however, they have every gardening tool and every piece of lawn equipment they need. Since they have retired, they are now traveling, pulling a fifth wheel behind them, so they don't stay home much anymore.

floater
12-09-2004, 07:31 AM
How about a travel guide book? There are all these books on cool roadside attractions, interesting small towns, bed and breakfasts, great places to eat. Or, it sounds corny, but a travel journal for your mom. Hmmmm........

mranderson
12-09-2004, 07:35 AM
Or a gift card to their favorite national chain restaurant. If they travel, they may eat out occasionally, so, that may work.