View Full Version : Wedding Location

OKCDrummer77
02-16-2008, 04:51 PM
A couple at my church is looking for a good place in the metro to have their wedding. They are expecting about 100 guests. They don't want to have it in a church because they want to use instrumental music in their ceremony, which most churches don't allow. I don't know their exact budget for a location fee, but they want to keep it cheap (they are both still in college). If anyone knows of a unique, interesting, but low-cost place for a wedding, please post it here.

Thanks in advance!

rondvu
02-16-2008, 05:52 PM
I am told the Morrison Florist on N. Meridian has a conservatory you can lease for weddings. The Crystal Bridge downtown is noted for their weddings. I know of someone who rented a spot at the Oklahoma City Zoo. If money was not an object I would choose the Dominon House in Guthrie. The Dominion House (http://www.dominionhouseguthrie.com/)

Doug Loudenback
02-16-2008, 06:30 PM
One of the VERY best days of my life occurred when my daughter was married at the former home of the Oklahoma Heritage Association ... when the Hefner Mansion (immediately south of St. Luke's Methodist Church) was its home. That's no longer available ... but I'd suppose that the new home of the Oklahoma Heritage Association at NW 13th & Classen Drive would provide similar services. I don't know the cost, though, but it might be worth checking out.

Patrick
02-16-2008, 07:41 PM
You might check out Creekside Wedding Chapel at 15500 N. Western.
Creekside Wedding Chapel (http://www.weddingsatcreekside.com/)

Also, Walnut Creek Chapel at Council Rd. and 122nd St., but they're kind of expensive.
Walnut Creek Chapel - Specializing in Stress-Free Weddings (http://www.pwgbride.com/walnutcreekchapel/)

walnutcreekchapel (http://walnutcreekchapel.com/)

And most churches allow instrumental music. It's only Churches of Christ that ban instruments.

metro
02-16-2008, 08:41 PM
I agree with Patrick, the only churches I've heard of that don't allow instrumental music is Church of Christ (they don't believe in using instrumental music). But almost all other denominations and non denominational churches are totally okay with it, heck my church plays rock and rap music and even guitar hero for music.

Easy180
02-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I agree with Patrick, the only churches I've heard of that don't allow instrumental music is Church of Christ (they don't believe in using instrumental music). But almost all other denominations and non denominational churches are totally okay with it, heck my church plays rock and rap music and even guitar hero for music.

Don't believe in instrumental music?

Wonder what the reasoning behind that is

I have been to a wedding at the Walnut Creek chapel and it was very nice

flintysooner
02-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Actually I heard that Quail Springs Church of Christ is experimenting with a Sunday morning service that has instruments.

solitude
02-17-2008, 05:16 AM
Actually I heard that Quail Springs Church of Christ is experimenting with a Sunday morning service that has instruments.

Oh yes. They (Quail Springs Church of Christ) are considered liberal infidels by leaders of the so-called "Churches of Christ."

BailJumper
02-17-2008, 06:08 AM
The most beautiful weddings I have ever attended were at Cole's Garden across from the Cowboy Hall of fame. Large reception area, great outdoor space for a ceremony and beautiful ponds and gardens.

I'm not a church wedding kinda guy myself.

onthestrip
02-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh yes. They (Quail Springs Church of Christ) are considered liberal infidels by leaders of the so-called "Churches of Christ."

Yes, other Churches of Christ even bought a full page ad in the Oklahoman a few weeks ago criticizing the Quail Springs Church of Christ. Funny thing is, the evidence and scriptures they cited in the ad didnt prove their point. The verses were very vague and mentioned nothing of not using instruments.

jsenter
02-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Patrick and others, Walnut Creek owns Cole's Garden now.

bombermwc
02-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Actually, St. Luke's owns it now and you can have stuff there. I'm having my wedding at St Luke's and reserved the place for the rehearsal dinner. Not sure 100 people fit in there though. There isn't a room big enough to hold that many...unless you want standing people.

Actually a lot of churches allow instrumental music. Most Methodists and Baptists will let you...and of course the new contemporary places. Beyond that you have the endless possibilties of chapels, events centers, classy clubs, etc.

Seriously...talk to The Montgomery. They have an events center in the basement. The place is really nice, but the columns might get in the way of the view. They charge line-item so you can spend as much as you want for the event...even have the ceremony and reception in the same room!!!! It was a really nice place, but just didn't fit my needs because of the price model.

Misty
02-19-2008, 12:24 PM
How about Griffin in Norman because I think anyone who gets married is nuts.

HA HA!

Patrick
02-19-2008, 03:48 PM
My wife and I got married at Walnut Creek. It was very pretty, but it was very expensive. If I had to do it over again, I probably would've gotten married at my church home, Northwest Baptist.

Gene Nease and Judy Moninger built Walnut Creek Chapel, and they own it today. They made enough money off of me (Ha!) to buy Coles Garden late last year. So, they own Coles Garden. They may have ties to St. Lukes, as Gene is a retired Methodist minister, but Gene Nease and Judy Moninger own both properties outright. They're company is simply called Walnut Creek Chapel, Inc.