View Full Version : Kindle

flintysooner
02-14-2008, 05:42 AM
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/digital/fiona/dp/v3-whispernet._V4948 240_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons-Wireless-Reading-Device/dp/B000FI73MA/ref= cm_taf_title_featured?ie=UTF8&tag=tellafriend-20)I ordered one of these when it first became available last November but they all sold out in a few hours. Mine finally arrived in early January. Since then I've ordered 10 books of which I've read 8. I've saved about $80 or a little more actually if I include shipping and sales tax over what I would have spent for printed books. I've also emailed several legal documents to it that were in Word format at $.10 each. Each Kindle has its own email address. You can also drag stuff over to the Kindle from a computer via USB.

The normal means of delivery though is Amazon's Whispernet which is Sprint's EVDO Network. There is no charge for this network. From the time you click the order button to the time you see the title appear on your Kindle is less than a minute or so. Mostly mine have been a few seconds. If you keep the wireless switch turned off the battery lasts well over a week for me without recharging.

I can't really claim my entire savings because I've bought several books that I
otherwise would not have purchased. There are very few things I dislike about the device. There are many things I really do like.

One surprising advantage for me is that Amazon keeps my "digital library" available for me so if I delete titles from the Kindle I can get them again if I want. But so far I've just moved read titles to my Sandisk.

I think I could have at least 1,000 titles with my SanDisk - probably more - but
without a memory card you can have 150 plus titles. It is very nice carrying around your entire library.

It is small and light and I find it easy and enjoyable to use. The font is
adjustable and the screen is good for me. The navigation took a little time to
feel natural but I don't even think about it now. I do like being able to
highlight (so called) and add notes and bookmarks and search and look up definitions and hook into Wiki or click on hyperlinks.

I'm thinking of getting one for my other readers in the family.

I have not read a newspaper yet or a magazine. I like the idea of both and there's a decent selection. I think I might enjoy reading the paper every morning on this thing. There is a 14 day free trial so I'm not certain why I haven't tried it.

Really the only drawback is the initial cost of $399 and the fact that you have to wait a while to get one.

FritterGirl
02-14-2008, 07:14 AM
My husband and I discussed getting one of these, but he wanted to wait unitl the technology developed a bit further (and the price dropped).

Color me a traditionalist, but to me, there is nothing like the smell and feel of musty paper in a good ink-printed book; not to mention the crackle of a new binding.

I stare at a screen all day at work. I really don't want to stare at another for my reading enjoyment.

flintysooner
02-14-2008, 07:42 AM
Well I am on many hours a day myself but this one doesn't make me feel like I am reading a computer.

I've tried all of the electronic book and tablet devices going way back and this is by far the best one I've used. It could be improved but I wouldn't give mine up now. The last two books I bought could easily have been paper and I thought about it for a few seconds. Then I punched the button and they both appeared on my Kindle.

And it gives a totally new dimension to sitting in the waiting room while the oil is changed in the car or waiting on the doctor or any number of other things.

metro
02-14-2008, 10:42 AM
My husband and I discussed getting one of these, but he wanted to wait unitl the technology developed a bit further (and the price dropped).

Color me a traditionalist, but to me, there is nothing like the smell and feel of musty paper in a good ink-printed book; not to mention the crackle of a new binding.

I stare at a screen all day at work. I really don't want to stare at another for my reading enjoyment.

True, but think of the millions of trees and millions of gallons of water (that paper creation uses) this device will help save. Making paper commercially is a very dirty and toxic process.