View Full Version : Fraud Protection

Karried
02-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Got this in an email today.. an Oldie but Goodie

I've seen it before but it's good info and a good reminder ......

" A corporate Attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company.

1.. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put 'PHOTO ID REQUIRED.'

2.. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card Accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the 'For' line.
Instead, just put the last four numbers The credit card company knows
the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as
it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to
it.

3.. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home Phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If
you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS#
printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

4.. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine.
Copy both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what
you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers
to call to cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place. I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all
heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a
name, address, Social Security number, credit cards.

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because
my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieve(s) ordered
an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card,
had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN
number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and
more. But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case
this happens to you or someone you know:

5.. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card
numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find
them.

6.. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers
you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one)

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

7.. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations
immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social
Security fraud line number. I had never heard of doing that until
advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was
made over the internet in my name. The alert means any company that
checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to
contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the
credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew
about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks.

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, purse etc., has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 888-397-3742

3.) TransUnion : 800-680 - 7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line): 800-269-0271 "

MadMonk
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
You can also change your drivers license number so that it's not the same as your SSN. My wife and I did that several years ago.

brenna
02-11-2008, 09:42 PM
All very good advice, Karried!!

Also, your DL # is more important than you know. My mother actually had her DL # stolen/used by someone else and it affected her ability to write checks for about a year.
I'm not sure exactly what all happened or how the number was stolen, but I do know that the thief was able to access additional information just through her DL #. My mom was automatically was placed on a fraud protection watch, and she promptly changed all of her credit/bank numbers. Still, it really is scary and disturbing how people find ways to dig into your life.

Anyway, protect your DL # like you would anything else. Personally, I have merchants run my DL #, but WILL NOT allow them to write my DL number on my checks anymore. If they are unable to accept it(they usually do, but merchants are required to call and verify everything, which takes FOREVER) then I just do not write checks to merchants or people I don't know. It's not worth it!! The information listed on checks is just too much information floating around for whom ever, and the journey your check takes from the time of purchase until arrival at the bank is limitless, including the number of people who handle or have access to the actual check.

I have personally had to endure the ordeal of replacing a Social Security card. Don't EVER keep your actual SS card anywhere except in a locking file cabinet at home or somewhere equally as safe. It was like obtaining a passport, only worse - I had to provide my birth certificate, numerous photos of me growing up to prove that I was the same person I was claiming to be, one of my family members had to be present, I had to provide thumb prints, and take an oath....almost thought I was going to have to give DNA, j/k.

Another thing, online purchases: Just say NO! Example: One of my friends received his new bank card and promptly updated his information for his membership with Rivals.com(guys take notice) and that was the ONLY transaction done via internet since receiving his new card. Three days later, he tried to get gas here in Norman, but was unable to as his bank froze his account and called him while he was trying to run his card again. Apparently, someone made a $400 purchase and a $150 purchase in California 30 minutes before he tried to get gas. Scary! He received a new bank account number, was reimbursed, and called in his information to Rivals instead of doing it online after that. At least the bank took action though.

I'm done with my identity fraud rant, haha, but seriously, be careful - just when you think you have protected yourself from being a victim of fraud, someone out there knows more about you than what you think!

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
You can also change your drivers license number so that it's not the same as your SSN. My wife and I did that several years ago.

I didn't even know that this was common until a couple of years ago. I was given a differing number 20 years ago when I got my license. According to my very scientific and formal survey of people standing around me over the course of a couple of days, evidently, I'm in the minority.