View Full Version : Oklahoma City made Vodka

Pages : [1] 2

donbroncho
02-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Ran across this article...I wonder how this guys business is doing?

News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Russian-inspired vodka made in Oklahoma (http://www.news9.com/global/story.asp?s=7848695)

Midtowner
02-10-2008, 10:51 PM
I got a bottle for my brother last year. He said it was okay.

The guy at the store said it was some of his favorite stuff.

In my opinion, vodka is vodka. You mix it with stuff. As long as it's not cheap swill like Heaven Hill, it's all about the same.

This particular vodka comes in a small bottle and costs a lot of money. It's a novelty purchase at this point.

metro
02-11-2008, 09:27 AM
They've been around here for several years. I think he actually won #2 best tasting vodka a year or two ago. There is an article on it somewhere.

Metore's - Old Russia Distillery and Spirits (http://www.old-russia.com/news.htm)

Midtowner
02-11-2008, 09:29 AM
best tasting vodka

That's like winning the prize for making the best tasting turd sandwich.

metro
02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
haha, hence why I don't drink vodka. maybe it's something about drinking anything made with charcoal?

donbroncho
02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
haha, hence why I don't drink vodka. maybe it's something about drinking anything made with charcoal?

Ahh being a little bit harsh on vodka dont ya think...haha

You gotta mix it up with other things. By itself, it is nothing special. I like somthing called "7-ups Evil Twin" very tasty. But thats for another thread...

Ive never heard of this guys brand before. Might try some, just to see what all the hype is about. And he is a local business person. Gotta support them, right?

Im just surprised that he is able to run a distillery.The article said some laws were changed for him to run it...

dismayed
02-11-2008, 02:12 PM
You guys. :) All vodka is not created equally. Try sipping a bit of something like McCormack's then Grey Goose. You'll taste the difference. I definitely can, even in mixed drinks.

Anyone know of a liquor store that carries it, I'd be willing to give it a try?

Also I wasn't clear on its name from the article, is it Old Russia?

FritterGirl
02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
You guys. :) All vodka is not created equally. Try sipping a bit of something like McCormack's then Grey Goose. You'll taste the difference. I definitely can, even in mixed drinks.

I purchased a bottle as a birthday gift for my dad last year. I got it at the Cellar (Britton & May). You might call and double-check they still carry it. I believe there were three varieties. The review on it was quite good, as I recall.

metro
02-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes, it is referring to Old Russia, which is in the old Fred Jones Ford plant downtown at Classen and Main.

okclee
02-11-2008, 08:58 PM
Quicker Liquor , on south May Ave and 89th, they carry all of the varieties, and I must say that it is an excellent vodka. I would compare it to grey goose in both taste and price.

I have also given this vodka as gifts many times to vodka drinkers and they all want more and I send them to Quicker Liquor.

Midtowner
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Mix it with OJ and you can't tell the difference.

I guess if what I was drinking was a vodka martini, I might care.

jbrown84
02-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I would think surely Byron's would carry it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-12-2008, 08:25 AM
I love vodka arguments.

It's like arguing over lightly used (but strained for purity) bathwater.

To me anyway. BLECH

vodkaczar
02-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I was told about this thread by a friend this afternoon. I make Metore's vodka. If you have any questions about Metore's feel free to ask and I will try to answer as best as possible. Metore's is not a novelty vodka. It should be priced below Gray Goose in your liquor stores. If it is higher then the store is ripping you off. Also Metore's has ten different vodka's. The original Russian Heritage has won multiple medals at international competitions and just won a gold at the Chicago Beverage Institute. This is my first post so I will add more later.

jbrown84
02-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Is it Metore's or Old Russian?

vodkaczar
02-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Old Russia Distillery is the name of the company. The vodka is named "Metore's".
Pronounced "Me-Torz".

metro
02-14-2008, 09:39 AM
I think Metore's is Old Russia, jbrown.

Metore's - Old Russia Distillery and Spirits (http://www.old-russia.com/home.htm)

jbrown84
02-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Got it. thanks

I really like the bottle design, vodkaczar! How wide is your distribution?

SouthsideSooner
02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
If it's made in OKC, what's Russian about it?

I've tasted it side by side with Grey Goose and it's noticably smoother.

donbroncho
02-14-2008, 10:22 AM
If it's made in OKC, what's Russian about it?

I've tasted it side by side with Grey Goose and it's noticably smoother.

Its all in a name. I mean, there is New York Brand Texas Toast. And bottled water that comes from the tap...

I am definitly going to have to try some of this stuff out. Which brand is your best seller, vodkaczar?

mheaton76
02-14-2008, 10:24 AM
For those of you who are vodka afficionados, try Ciroc. Like Grey Goose, it's a French vodka, but distilled from grapes. Very clean and smooth - makes a great vodka/soda with lime.

cheers!

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

BailJumper
02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I bought a bottle when it first came out. It was okay, but nothing special. Like any vodka, to drink it straight you should get it as cold as possible. Out of the fridge it was smooth - but no more so than any other mid to high range vodka. Besides, most people I know rarely drink their vodka straight. So, using a less expensive brand name makes alot more sense. For the rare occassions a guest wants a martini or a basic highball, who is going to be impressed with something 'made' in downtown OKC?

Regardless, I think the price is ridiculous though. I mean c'mon, who pays premium prices for 'Oklahoma Vodka'? I'm guessing there is nothing actually Oklahoman about it. Let me guess, they order in medical-grade ethanol from out of state and combine it with either shipped in water or they are filtering city tap water - Yippee!

Personally, I love it when they do the blind taste tests in some snobby bar with call vodka's vs premium vs. super premiums and usually the vodka snobs can't tell the difference - I know, I know, there will be some Grey Goose snob here that swears they can tell. Of course then they'll spew how they love it in their Diet Coke!

Regardless, save your dough or at least buy something in a really cool bottle with name recognition.

Now, if they packaged it in a teepee shaped bottle and called it "Firewater" or such, I'd buy it as novelty on a regular basis.

Drake
02-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Gotta love message boards.

Somebody asks a question abount an Oklahoma made product, the guy who makes it shows up and offers to answer any questions somebody may have, and then only to have somebody degrade it and "guesses" that they probably use medical-grade ethonal. Nice.

If you don't like it, thats OK. Nothing wrong with that. But all you really did what tell us how stupid it was for someone to make a vodka in Oklahoma and not to buy it. Why? Tito's vodka out of Austin, Tx has won several major awards.

For us that don't put our vodka in diet coke, do you mind if we give the okie & his company a chance and decide for ourselves?

Vodkaczar - Good luck & thanks for posting and keep it up. Its nice to hear from people that are actually doing and not just posting about how stupid something is or how they are doing it all wrong.

Sorry, just had to vent.

vodkaczar
02-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Metore's is made using Oklahoma Wheat to produce our ethanol and we distill our own water. The Oklahoman about it is that I am from Oklahoma and haved lived here most of my life. The Russian about it is my wife heritage and her father "Simoyn Metore" is the man that gave the recipe. Bailjumper should come to one our tastings. We give our samples at room tempature to show that we are better than Grey Goose and the others.

vodkaczar
02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Its all in a name. I mean, there is New York Brand Texas Toast. And bottled water that comes from the tap...

I am definitly going to have to try some of this stuff out. Which brand is your best seller, vodkaczar?

We have our flagship which is called Metore's Russian Heritage, it is our straight 80 proof. We also have 6 different flavors. Lime, Lemon, Cherry, Orange, Chocolate and Cranberry.

vodkaczar
02-14-2008, 06:05 PM
who is going to be impressed with something 'made' in downtown OKC?

Regardless, I think the price is ridiculous though. I mean c'mon, who pays premium prices for 'Oklahoma Vodka'? I'm guessing there is nothing actually Oklahoman about it.

Now, if they packaged it in a teepee shaped bottle and called it "Firewater" or such, I'd buy it as novelty on a regular basis.

People should be impressed by the quality of a product. I have seven international awards for my vodkas. I am proud of being from Oklahoma and proud that my vodka is made in Oklahoma. What makes vodka's made in France or Poland so special. What impresses me most about your opinion's is that you buy your vodka based on the shape of the bottle.

donbroncho
02-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Gotta love message boards.

Somebody asks a question abount an Oklahoma made product, the guy who makes it shows up and offers to answer any questions somebody may have, and then only to have somebody degrade it and "guesses" that they probably use medical-grade ethonal. Nice.

If you don't like it, thats OK. Nothing wrong with that. But all you really did what tell us how stupid it was for someone to make a vodka in Oklahoma and not to buy it. Why? Tito's vodka out of Austin, Tx has won several major awards.

For us that don't put our vodka in diet coke, do you mind if we give the okie & his company a chance and decide for ourselves?

Vodkaczar - Good luck & thanks for posting and keep it up. Its nice to hear from people that are actually doing and not just posting about how stupid something is or how they are doing it all wrong.

Sorry, just had to vent.

Amen to that!!!

BailJumper
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Drake - this is a forum NOT a hippie drum circle. It's a place to share opinions. If you don't like someone's opinion you are welcome to voice yours or ignore it all together.

I'm telling you now, I doubt my 'guessing' is off the mark.

Give it a try all you want. I even offered that I had given it a try. I also offered my opinion. GET OVER IT.

donbroncho
02-14-2008, 08:37 PM
We have our flagship which is called Metore's Russian Heritage, it is our straight 80 proof. We also have 6 different flavors. Lime, Lemon, Cherry, Orange, Chocolate and Cranberry.

Thanks for the info. I plan on purchasing a bottle of the Russian Heritage soon (probably not this weekend as I hate ice and snow).

I am always willing to help out local businesses whenever I can. And I like how you said that you are proud to be from Oklahoma and make vodka here. I mean there are lots of wineries here but you've got somthing unique going. Keep up the good work man.

Drake
02-14-2008, 09:13 PM
What impresses me most about your opinion's is that you buy your vodka based on the shape of the bottle.

LOL. I think that about says it all.

I said your opinion that you didn't like his vodka or his price was fine. But that was about the only opinion based off knowledge.

So why the rest of the post?

The rest consisted of guessing about inferior ingredients & questioning how a vodka made in Oklahoma could be any good. ???

I think the man responded to your concerns about his ingredients.

Sorry your friends wouldn't be impressed because its made in OKC. That sounds like a pretty closed minded group of friends. Trick them, just tell them its made in Russia. Maybe they will like it. Or just maybe you don't have to trick them and they will judge the product on its own merits & not where its made at.

Just my opinion.

CCOKC
02-14-2008, 09:43 PM
My husband just heard the part about tastings and asked when and where?
Seriously, when and where?

John
02-15-2008, 01:36 AM
My husband just heard the part about tastings and asked when and where?
Seriously, when and where?

Well, he did post a link to his website where the info is easily accessible...

Metore’s Russian Heritage
• Gold – Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute
• Bronze – San Francisco World Spirits Contest

Metore’s Signature Series
• Bronze – Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute
Metore’s Lemon Flavored
• Silver – Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute

In 47 taste tests – over three years – more than 1,000 people … Metore’s has never lost
a blind taste test. And that’s up against the world’s best known, highest priced vodkas.

jbrown84
02-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm telling you now, I doubt my 'guessing' is off the mark.

He just said they make it from Oklahoma wheat. Are you now accusing him of lying?

BailJumper
02-15-2008, 09:00 AM
He just said they make it from Oklahoma wheat. Are you now accusing him of lying?

I wouldn't go so far as to say "lying" but definately vague with the facts.

I would ask this directly - Is it not true they order from an out of state medical grade ethanol supplier?

Hey - i supported them by buying a couple of bottles. Still have one sitting in the garage freezer. Just saying - that setup could be packed up and shop set up again in any city. They just combine a whosaler's high end ethanol with filtered city tap water. How does that, no brand equity and very weak sales equal premium prices?

Also, I never said I base all my vodka buying on the bottle. I do however buy some novelty products based on the bottle. Also, if you know anything about the industry you know MANY multi-million dollar companies DO spend gobs to come up with a hook like the bottle's shape, size and color - Why? Because a huge number of people DO buy based on the packaging.

SouthsideSooner
02-15-2008, 09:45 AM
I've been a fan of the Metore's products for years. I've introduced many friends to it and have tasted it side by side with most super-premium vodkas on the market.

Metore's more than holds it's own against the finest vodkas available today.

All the Metore's vodkas are available at Quicker Liquor for $19.99. That makes them a great value compared to the prices of other super- premium vodkas.

Some people just don't see the value in or appreciate quality. Thats why McCormick vodka sells so well and Kentucky Deluxe is the #1 selling whiskey in Oklahoma.

I think it is very cool that one of the best vodkas in the world is produced in downtown OKC and I will continue to support and spread the word about Metore's vodkas.

Steve
02-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I've posted stories I've written about Metore's at OKC Central — All about OKC (http://www.okccentral.com). The blog post includes a photo taken of the owner and part of the distillary inside the old Fred Jones plant downtown.
-Steve

vodkaczar
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say "lying" but definately vague with the facts.

I would ask this directly - Is it not true they order from an out of state medical grade ethanol supplier?

No we don't buy out of state medical grade ethanol. That is why we own a still. When we first started we bought some ethanol from an outside producer but that was before we got our still up and running and that has been for several years.

Misty
02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
I love vodka and am a loyal Tito's fan but I look forward to trying Metore's soon! I really believe in supporting local business and hope this vodka makes me switch from Tito's! Thanks for all your info.

vodkaczar
02-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Hey - i supported them by buying a couple of bottles. Still have one sitting in the garage freezer. Just saying - that setup could be packed up and shop set up again in any city. They just combine a whosaler's high end ethanol with filtered city tap water. How does that, no brand equity and very weak sales equal premium prices?

If you think it is so easy to set up a distillery then try it yourself. It took 7 months to go through the paperwork to get our licensing. All that before we could even produce or sell our product. I also pay for two different Oklahoma licenses and two Oklahoma City licenses so I can sell my product. 2007 cost me over $8500 dollars in license fees just to make and sell my product in Oklahoma. Again we distill our own ethanol. We distill our own water. You ask how does no brand equity and weak sales equal premium prices. Quality
If you want a mediocor vodka, which is what it sounds like you prefer then buy one. Lot's of companies use fancy bottles to sell their mediocor vodka because they can't price it on quality.

vodkaczar
02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
John, thanks for checking out the website. It is a little behind. Our awards are those plus what we have won in the last 6 months.

Metore's Russian Heritage - Gold at Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute (Our second)
Metore's Signature Series (100 proof) - Silver at Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute
Metore's Orange - Silver at Chicago Beverage Tasting Institute

Drake
02-15-2008, 05:21 PM
I think the czar has successfully answered all the questions. I guess you would call them questions.

Sounds like you are doing something right to have made it this long and winning some awards along the way.

The good part is some of us have become aware of an Oklahoma made product that we didn't know existed. I will definitley try a bottle. Good luck

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-16-2008, 02:48 AM
I think the czar has successfully answered all the questions. I guess you would call them questions.

Sounds like you are doing something right to have made it this long and winning some awards along the way.

The good part is some of us have become aware of an Oklahoma made product that we didn't know existed. I will definitley try a bottle. Good luck

This is true...Works for me.

I'll buy a bottle to keep around for when I have vodka drinkers around the house.

wsucougz
02-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Regardless, I think the price is ridiculous though.

It's 20 bucks. You totally wasted your 'ridiculous' card.

BailJumper
02-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Checked with a rep at Action and they say it doesn't sell well at all.

I'm not knocking them for being out their running a business and making a buck. If it's their passion and they love it, great! That's more than most people do. However, I don't let that get in the way of my opinion of the end product.

vodkaczar
02-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Checked with a rep at Action and they say it doesn't sell well at all.

I'm not knocking them for being out their running a business and making a buck.

Action sells mostly to bars. We are not in a lot of bars. Also compared to the national brands we don't sell near that much.

For someone not knocking us you sure like to try to point out any negative you can think of about us.

BailJumper
02-17-2008, 06:40 AM
Again - FORUM - not a hippie drum circle sing along. I realize most of the people here love the whole kumbaya effect of everyone praising everyone else and ignoring any other position, facts, reality, opinions, etc. Though I do find it funny that most people here have no problem with someone being critical as long as the object of the criticism is not a member of this forum. But, if they are then it seems to be taboo. I'm simply knocking the fact it is presented as a superior product and I don't think it is (but who am I). FYI - action sells to most of the liquor stores too (just like all the other liquor suppliers). The reason it isn't carried in most bars is because nobody is asking for it. Funny you mention that since I know you've tried to penetrate the local bar scenes - unsuccessfully. I'm knocking its price and its Oklahoma roots (MIO claims). Now, my information may be a tad bit old, but I spoke to someone that has been in your building and they confirmed the ethanol was ordered as medical grade ethanol from out of state and you filtered city water. To me, an overblown hobby in downtown OKC does not equate to a superior product. But on an upswing I do admire the fact you guys have kept at it this long without making money - even bottling the product and delivering it yourself (and by that I mean you personally standing there filling up the bottles). I know many business owners that don't know the meaning of work and perseverance.

I was glad to see that the bottle and label has changed. The one I have is very homemade looking. The new one is nice. You know me, I may have to buy another bottle just for the bottle!

vodkaczar
02-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Again - FORUM - Though I do find it funny that most people here have no problem with someone being critical as long as the object of the criticism is not a member of this forum. But, if they are then it seems to be taboo. I'm simply knocking the fact it is presented as a superior product and I don't think it is (but who am I). FYI - action sells to most of the liquor stores too (just like all the other liquor suppliers).

I don't have a problem with you being critical. I have a problem when you have the facts wrong. I like I said we distill our own ethanol. Whoever you talked to has their facts wrong by a few years. The only filtering of the water is as it goes to the water distiller. My problem with your posts is that you put down the quality of my product. Yes Action sells in Liquor stores but there are two other wholesalers in this state that out sell them by a long shot. I admit that we don't sell a hugh amount, that's what me and my partners are working on. I don't have 10 or 20 sales people to push my product. Your opinion I can respect but don't get your underwear all tight we I have a different one and also call you out when you get you facts wrong.

vodkaczar
02-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm simply knocking the fact it is presented as a superior product and I don't think it is (but who am I). FYI - action sells to most of the liquor stores too (just like all the other liquor suppliers). The reason it isn't carried in most bars is because nobody is asking for it. Funny you mention that since I know you've tried to penetrate the local bar scenes - unsuccessfully. I'm knocking its price and its Oklahoma roots (MIO claims). Now, my information may be a tad bit old, but I spoke to someone that has been in your building and they confirmed the ethanol was ordered as medical grade ethanol from out of state and you filtered city water. To me, an overblown hobby in downtown OKC does not equate to a superior product.

Funny you say you know this and you know that. You seem to have a problem with Metore's being made in Oklahoma and that it is a high end vodka. You call me a liar by stating that you have talked to this person or that. Like I said before you facts are very much out of date. You call it an overblown hobby. What it equates to as you put it, is that my vodka's have won multiple awards. We are a small business just getting our feet wet in a very competitive industry. The only feel good and cumbiya that I see is the negative opinions and wrong facts that you keep expounding over and over again and pleasure you seem to get doing it. When you give out the wrong facts don't expect me to roll over.

If your such an expert, what do you do for a living. How many business's have you started. Try building a business from the ground up and sell a product in the modern liquor industry. I don't hear you telling people how Tito's has sold out and has all his product production out sourced, how he almost didn' t make it for the first ten years in business. How Grey Goose was a failure in France where it is made, until it was bought and brought over to the United States and millions where spent to get it in the bars. No, let's just talk bad about the little guy with the only legal distillery in Oklahoma.

If I my company had more capital behind it you would see us in more bars, you would see us in more ads. It takes time to build a brand and a business, unless you have the shortcut of having a few million dollars to push it out to the public.

We have heard your opinion and like you said; get over it.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-17-2008, 01:48 PM
As I've stated...I'm not a fan of vodka...But after that diatribe, I want to go buy a whole case of your stuff. Well played.

Need a moonshine runner? I'm your guy. ;)

BailJumper
02-17-2008, 02:03 PM
hehe - my work here is done.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Jerk work?

wsucougz
02-17-2008, 02:19 PM
hehe - my work here is done.

The work of being a general dickhead?

BailJumper
02-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Works for me.

dismayed
02-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Vodkazar, welcome to the board.

Thanks for your posts. I plan on picking up a bottle and giving it a try soon.

Drake
02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
I though I was done with this one.

Bailjumper has gone to the trouble to call someone at a local distributer & talked to some inside the building.

Wow. I not even sure what to say

vodkaczar
02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
There is a bill "SB653" that would lower the license fee's for a distillery and rectifier from $3125 each to $650 each. Old Russia Distillery has to have both licenses to stay in business. This bill has been assigned to the Appropriations committee but won't be heard unless some support is shown. Please call your senators or the senators on that committee and state your support for that bill.

Martin
02-20-2008, 12:42 PM
is $3k out of line with license fees in other states? just curious. -M

vodkaczar
02-20-2008, 12:51 PM
is $3k out of line with license fees in other states? just curious. -M

Most states are less than a $1,000 and have only one license you have to buy.

Martin
02-20-2008, 01:00 PM
i did find a page listing washington's license fees. they wanted $2000/yr for both distiller & rectifier. sounds like oklahoma is high.

ok... remedial question: i understand distilling, but what is rectifying?

-M

onthestrip
02-20-2008, 05:38 PM
The fees seem to make sense as Oklahomas liqour laws are as outdated as liqour itself.

The liqour stores and distributors seem to have a lobbying force second to none.