View Full Version : Future of the Oklahoma River

Patrick
12-07-2004, 01:39 AM
downtownguy had an interesting article in his blog on Monday. I encourage you to check it out at www.downtownguy.blogspot.com. Apparently, quite a few developers are looking at the Oklahoma River for possible housing projects.

Midtowner
12-07-2004, 06:35 AM
I sincerely hope whatever is put in there ends up being high density housing (condos, high $ apartments). I want as many as possible to be able to enjoy the river.

Patrick
12-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Definitely...at least 6 stories! I actually buildings like those at the Cheasapeake campus would looke pretty nice along the river. I'm not sure if buildings over 10 stories will be a reality, since there is so much land there, but we should shoot for buildings over 4 stories, at least.

Luke
12-08-2004, 05:49 AM
I was thinking about this yesterday as I was driving over the River. If any hotels or apartments or any sort of building that is 3 or more stories want to locate on the river, they should do so on the south side of the river. That way they have a view of the river and downtown. The shorter buildings should be on the north side so as not to block the view of downtown for those on the south side. Know what I mean? Another idea would be to completely make the whole north shore park areas only (think Central Park in NYC). That way, the apartments and whatnot on the southshore would have a view of the river and downtown, but also have a nice view of the park along the north shore. This would also be a great idea because the people in those apartments would take advantage of the nearby park.

Just some ideas.

PS: I can't wait to see what the first commercial or residential development on the River will be like.

floater
12-08-2004, 08:36 AM
I think those are very good points, Luke. The skyline should be the focal point. Limit north shore development to a few stories, although I think four stories wouldn't be that intrusive, especially from the south shore perspective. Maybe four should be the maximum.

mranderson
12-08-2004, 08:41 AM
I guess I really did not think of the riverview. My office may have one.

Here is another thought. We should rename SW 15, "Riverside, Drive."

BG918
12-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I fully agree about building taller buildings on the southside of the river and then building a park on the northside. The southside could be the developed part with offices and residential, all with great views of the river and the skyline. The park on the northside could be like Tulsa's Riverparks with jogging trails, frisbee golf, playgrounds, pedestrian bridges, and athletic fields. Riverparks is a destination in Tulsa, it could be in OKC as well if they do a better job of landscaping the river banks.

I think we should demand a high quality of architecture along the river, something low to mid rise (3-6 stories) and modern in design. Something similar to what is being built in Fort Worth along the Trinity River...

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/rs-rendering.jpg

Patrick
12-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Nice pic, and definitely a possiblity for the Oklahoma River. I ike the suggestion of having larger buildings on the south side of the river. I suppose Dell will be starting that trend, since they'll be on the south side of the river.

mranderson, I like your idea of renaming SW 15th St., Riverside Drive. You should mention it to our mayor. I sent you a PM with his office email address.

floater
12-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the photo, BG. That's pretty close to what I hope the Dell campus will look like (hint hint mranderson). I think the first building to built, the Cheseapeake Boathouse, will establish a high standard for all the rest to follow:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:UNLRIQAaLVQJ:www.oklahomarowing.org/Images/boathouse1.jpg

floater
12-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Sorry for the small image guys, I'm still a beginner with this image stuff.

http://www.e-a-a.com/images/community/chs_boat/boat1a.jpg

Patrick
12-08-2004, 01:14 PM
Hey floater...sorry for having to edit your post a little...the image wasn't showing up...I had to reformat it as a jpg pic!

floater
12-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Whatever works, Patrick. It is a nice pic, is it not? Although green grass would look much better :tongue:

Patrick
12-08-2004, 01:50 PM
It's an awesome pic. You did a fine job finding it. You're right though....too bad th epic of the land area was taken in the winter.

BG918
12-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't rename SW 15th "Riverside Drive", Tulsa already has a Riverside Drive and its one of the city's main arteries and also one of its of most beautiful especially if you are driving north and the skyline just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Name SW 15th something different like "Riverfront Blvd."

mranderson
12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
As long as it is "Riverside," that is allright. Except street. Boulevard, Drive, makes no difference except where noted.

swake
12-08-2004, 02:53 PM
In Tulsa Riverside north of 71st is Riverside Drive, south of 71st the city has started to change the name to Riverside Parkway

Luke
12-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Alternatives to Riverside:

Rivershore
Riversedge
Riverfront
Riverplace
Rivercenter
Boardwalk :)

mranderson
12-08-2004, 09:05 PM
Boardwalk? The street runs on the "side" of the river. Hense Riverside.

Patrick
12-08-2004, 10:27 PM
I think Riverside fits, since the Riverside neighborhood is not far away. Riverfront Drive is another good alternative though.

mranderson
12-09-2004, 09:03 AM
While talking about the new building to my manager, I mentioned the river view.

I would accept Riverview, Drive or Riverside, Drive.

metro
12-09-2004, 09:10 AM
Mr. Anderson, hey this is Morpheus, im stuck in the matrix...... J/K, hey my ex called the recruiter at dell, they told her although not currently hiring do to space, they are finalizing details on securing another temporary site for more hiring.

mranderson
12-09-2004, 09:21 AM
One of those things we have not been advised on.

Patrick
12-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Interesting that you mentioned this metro. My fiancee also applied at Dell, and they tolf her she'd be put on a waiting list until this "temporary" location that you mention opened in a few months. I wonder where it will be.