View Full Version : How will you die?

OKCCrime
02-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Ok, this is morose, but I am obsessed with crime (see my nickname). Apologies in advance.

I was reading "Dogs Bite but Ballons and Slippers are More Dangerous" (http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Bite-Balloons-Slippers-Dangerous/dp/1888047186) where the author (Janis Bradley) points out that your are 5 times more likely to die from being struck by lightening than die from a dog attack, and essentially equally likely to die from balloon and dog 'attacks'.

Then, I ran across these statistics from the National Vital Statistics Report, Vol. 50, No. 15, September 16, 2002.

Percent - Cause - (Number)
100.00% - Total Number of Deaths - (2403351)
39.00% - Major Cardiovasular Diseases - (936923)
23.00% - Malignant Neoplasms - (553091)
5.10% - Chronic Lower Resperitory Dis. - (122009)
2.90% - Diabetes Mellitus - (69301)
2.70% - Influenza and Pneumonia - (65313)
2.10% - Alzheimers - (49558)
1.80% - Motor Vehicle Accidents - (43354)
1.50% - Renal Failure - (3,6471)
1.30% - Septicemia - (3,1224)
1.20% - Firearms - (28663)
0.0000025% - Dogs - (~15) - I added this based on the statistics in the book.

So how will you die?

Okccrime

----
Oklahoma City Crime - Crime Maps, Reports and Statistics (http://okccrime.com)

Karried
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my Grandfather did.

Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

lol, I couldn't resist.

OKCCrime
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Interestingly, 'in your sleep' wasn't listed in the report.

I couldn't find any relevant statistics after a quick search. Only that 40% of fire victims die in their sleep and that as many as 33% of people report having fell asleep while driving (potentially a cause of a deadly motor vehicle accident). However, I don't think these are what you had in mind :)

Okccrime

Karried
02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Actually, that is how I want to go.. unfortunately, I'll probable keel over from a massive coronary or die from cancer.

Thanks OKCCrime, now I'm thoroughly depressed.

Just teasing ya!

I know it's something we should all think about but don't want to!

Thanks for the info... looks like I'll be needing more red wine for a healthy heart.. see, you did some good today!

OKCCrime
02-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Like I said when I posted - Apologies in advance. :)

These tips should help you live longer:

Lifestyle choices to live longer, healthier life as seen on CA Living with Aprilanne Hurley (http://insidelooktv.com/Top%20Lifestyle%20Choices%20to%20Live%20Longer.htm l)

Note in particular #4, given that heart attacks are the leading cause of death:

"Get a Pet - People who own pets, especially dogs, have been shown to be less stressed and require fewer visits to their physicians than non-owners. Survival rates for heart-attack victims who had a pet have been shown to be 12% longer than for those who did not have one, according to one of the first studies dealing with the impact pets can have on our health, led by researcher Erica Friedman. Pet owners have also been shown to have lower blood pressure."

Okccrime

Karried
02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Good idea on the pet ...

I'll name him Red, Red Wine. lol

andy157
02-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I want to die on my 95th birthday of a massive heart attack. Right after I've had sex with my 25 year old wife.

FRISKY
02-07-2008, 10:20 AM
I will never die! *So far, so good... ;)

MadMonk
02-07-2008, 10:40 AM
With my family history, regardless of my lifestyle, I'll go with a big ole' heart attack. It's practically inevitable.

OKCCrime
02-07-2008, 11:01 AM
With my family history, regardless of my lifestyle, I'll go with a big ole' heart attack. It's practically inevitable.

That sucks.

Run, do not walk (strangely, exercise is relegated to tip #11), to your local animal shelter, to get a pet. Here's the website (http://www.okc.gov/animalwelfare/) with directions :)
Also you could take Karried's approach. Join the red wine club at Byron's Liquor (http://www.byronsliquor.com/). It's on the way to the animal shelter.

Okccrime

Martin
02-07-2008, 12:59 PM
when i die, i would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did.

not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

oh! you totally beat me to that! -M

mheaton76
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM
I think I'll faceplant in my bowl of cheerios when I'm 90 ...

www.unitedstatesofmichael.com

jsenter
02-07-2008, 03:05 PM
This thread is ridiculous. No one knows how they're going to die.

Karried
02-07-2008, 03:10 PM
No one knows how they're going to die.

I do.

I'll stop breathing

and then I'll be dead.

jsenter
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I do.

I'll stop breathing

and then I'll be dead.

lol! You're funny Karried!

Okay, I'll join in on the fun. I'll probably die from cancer, although I'd rather have a heart attack in my sleep.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-07-2008, 04:18 PM

I do.

In a fiery ball of doom.

Sadly, not listed :(

CCOKC
02-07-2008, 06:53 PM
This is a really morbid subject but I am going to bring it down just a little lower.
I always wanted to die of a gunshot to the back of the head while standing at the register at the 7-11. One minute buying a pack of gum, the next greeting St Peter at the Pearly Gates. No muss, no fuss (at least for me that is)

Karried
02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I always wanted to die of a gunshot to the back of the head while standing at the register at the 7-11.

Oh Lordy! I just hope I'm not the one standing directly in front of you paying for my Big Gulp.

yikes!!! You have a vivid imagination.. the best I can hope for is to just fall asleep and not wake up.

MadMonk
02-07-2008, 08:29 PM
That sucks.

Run, do not walk (strangely, exercise is relegated to tip #11), to your local animal shelter, to get a pet. Here's the website (http://www.okc.gov/animalwelfare/) with directions :)
Also you could take Karried's approach. Join the red wine club at Byron's Liquor (http://www.byronsliquor.com/). It's on the way to the animal shelter.

Okccrime
HAHA! I've already got two dogs in my home and a rack full of my favorite Pinot Noir. I guess I'm good for a few more years at least. :D

OKCCrime
02-07-2008, 08:42 PM

I know what you mean. However, did you see '23.00% - Malignant Neoplasms'. Cancer patients usually know roughly how and when they will die.

It is an interesting question because it is surprisingly sure (63% chance) that you will die of cancer or a heart attack. Most people think car accident (<2% chance) or some other very low probability event (i.e., while or just after having sex, face plant in cheerios, fiery ball of doom, or dying in your sleep) when asked how they expect to die.

Interesting, morose, morbid, depressing, but not ridiculous! :)

Okccrime

Dar405301
02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Ever since I was a young kid I've felt that I would someday die in a car accident without having lived a "full life". I don't know if it will really happen that way or what, but I guess it's all the more reason to live like it's my last day.

Midtowner
02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm going to die from medical malpractice, but because of tort reform, the doc who operated on me while shooting heroine will be exempt from being sued.

OKCCrime
02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm going to die from medical malpractice, but because of tort reform, the doc who operated on me while shooting heroine will be exempt from being sued.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Septicemia is a fancy latin word for medical malpractice, although a 1.3% fatality rate seems low. :)

Okccrime

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I know what you mean. However, did you see '23.00% - Malignant Neoplasms'. Cancer patients usually know roughly how and when they will die.

It is an interesting question because it is surprisingly sure (63% chance) that you will die of cancer or a heart attack. Most people think car accident (<2% chance) or some other very low probability event (i.e., while or just after having sex, face plant in cheerios, fiery ball of doom, or dying in your sleep) when asked how they expect to die.

Interesting, morose, morbid, depressing, but not ridiculous! :)

Okccrime

Nope. Fiery ball of doom.

zuluwarrior0760
02-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I wanna be executed and then be acquitted by DNA testing

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-07-2008, 11:45 PM

What's the point of that? It hasn't worked yet.

Karried
02-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I was waiting for someone to explain that to me as well. Of course, it's one o clock in the morning .. and I can't think straight nor do I want to.. but what does that mean?

Oh GAWD the Smell!
02-08-2008, 06:02 AM
I'm pretty sure that it means that by getting executed by the state only to be proven innocent after the fact...It would somehow give people pause about the death penalty and it would be taken off the table as a punishment option for all the rest of mankind. Or to put it shortly...Taking one for the team.

And like I said...It hasn't worked yet. Quite a few innocent folks have unjustly met their untimely demise at the hands of the government and it's not changed many minds to this point.

Kerry
02-08-2008, 06:12 AM

Would that be lawyer malpractice? Or does that even exist? Could you sue if it turns out your lawyer was shooting heroine?

Martin
02-08-2008, 07:53 AM
i'm sure your lawyer would be in big trouble for shooting a heroine.

...and for shooting heroin.

in any event, there are many factors that can lead to an innocent person being convicted of a crime... it doesn't necessarily mean that his attorney wasn't representing him to the best of his ability. so... it could be a situation of legal malpractice but wouldn't necessarily be so.

-M

Karried
02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
:doh: I knew at the break of dawn, it would all make more sense.. believe it or not at about 3am I realized what it was all about... lol

But thank you, when having a blonde moment, it's always good to have OGTS's take on things to clear it all up for me!

Misty
02-08-2008, 08:41 AM
It's dark, I enter the bathroom and it's dim and cold. I feel him behind me. I turn around, he smiles and shoots me twice. One bullet in my chest and one in my thigh. I fall into the bathtub and watch the blood pour out of me. He stands over me, still smiling and puts his finger in the bullet wound in my thigh. I scream and he leaves. I get really cold, I don't know how much time passes. I stand up, look in the mirror and realize I'm dead. I start laughing a manical, shrill laugh.....then I wake up and I'm really screaming.

That was a real dream I had years ago. Freaky.

Karried
02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Misty, now, I'm scared to go to sleep, guess what I'll be dreaming about tonight? lol

That's a crazy nightmare! I'm starting a new thread...

Chefdavies
02-08-2008, 09:00 AM
I hope to die, kissing my soon to be wife, watchin OU football drinking a labatts beer.

kmf563
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm dying now from this golden trophy flu that some lovely person in norman gave to me and my entire band. I think it's called the plague. It feels like death.

OKCCrime
02-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I hope to die, kissing my soon to be wife, watchin OU football drinking a labatts beer.

Wasn't that actually a super bowl commercial? :)

OKCCrime
02-08-2008, 02:36 PM
my entire band....it's called the plague. It feels like death.

Great band name! :)

Redskin 70
02-24-2008, 09:52 PM
Obviously from what ever event it will be from heart stoppage, the number 1 killer of americans