View Full Version : Tornados - We Dodged a Bullet

Karried
02-06-2008, 08:31 AM
This is too sad... I'm not looking forward to the upcoming season. ugh

Tornadoes Rip The South (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,328745,00.html)

At least 47 killed in destructive storms (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,328745,00.html)

Series of twisters tear through Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee, injuring hundreds

OUman
02-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Yeah. Actually, the best conditions for tornadoes were in that same area, we weren't really in any danger as far as tornadoes were concerned yesterday. The only severe weather that was expected was hail and strong winds, which occurred with storms out in eastern OK.

It isn't rare for the SE U.S. to get tornado outbreaks in winter during the latter part of Jan. through early March. Although the unfortunate side of it is of course, the outbreaks can last well after dark because of the short days, which is what happened yesterday. I'm no fan of night-time tornadoes myself.

Karried
02-06-2008, 09:19 AM
I'm no fan of night-time tornadoes myself.

I'm no fan of nightime, daytime, anytime tornados... I hate them all.... lol

I was thinking with the extreme weather change, we might have had some chance of severe weather.. luckily for us, we didn't .. but boo hoo, Springs right around the corner!

venture
02-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Even this setup is a bit awkward. The typical southeast severe weather season is usually in GA/AL/MS...and this was farther north. Typical of a late spring pattern. We did get a few hail reports west of OKC when the storms came through a couple nights ago, but nothing major.

Give us about another month and our season will start to crank up here. Another year of putting several thousand miles on the car and visiting small towns I never would see. :)

OUman
02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Even this setup is a bit awkward. The typical southeast severe weather season is usually in GA/AL/MS...and this was farther north. Typical of a late spring pattern. We did get a few hail reports west of OKC when the storms came through a couple nights ago, but nothing major.

Give us about another month and our season will start to crank up here. Another year of putting several thousand miles on the car and visiting small towns I never would see. :)

True that the winter-time severe weather is more limited to AL/MS/GA but as recently as Jan. '99 (which in climatology isn't that far back) there were outbreaks in AR/MS/TN. And if you go back and look at outbreak records for Jan-Mar outbreaks in the SE U.S. you'll find out that periodically it's the middle Mississippi Valley that got hit with outbreaks. Although what is quite rare and unusual is the one we saw last month, with tornadoes in Wisconsin!

For us it's about toward the middle part of March extending through the latter part of May, after which it starts shifting northward.