View Full Version : Symphony Designer's Show House(s)

betts
02-02-2008, 06:12 AM
Sat February 2, 2008
Downtown tuning up for Designers Show House: Designer show house funds orchestra league

Add this to the program:
Orchestral accompaniment for the rising chorus singing the now-familiar but still catchy song about living "Downtown” — in Oklahoma City, to the music of the traffic in the city, no less. A full complement — society strings, whimsical woodwinds, bold brass, perspicuous percussion — will come courtesy of the Oklahoma City Orchestra League's 35th annual Symphony Designers Show House April 27-May 18.

This year's "show house”?Not a restored and revived house in a historic neighborhood. Not the renovated mansion of some city business titan. Not one of those stately Nichols Hills houses that the curious swarm when the doors are finally open to Everyman — every man and woman clutching a ticket anyway. No, the show house isn't a house at all this time. It's a string of two- and three-story condos — Brownstones at Maywood Park, from NE 2 to NE 4 from Walnut to Broadway. And the fact that they will serve as this year's quadraphonic show "house” is a tell — a sign that the downtown song isn't just a catchy tune, but a modern anthem.

Oklahoma City's Triangle Development — Ron Bradshaw, Anthony McDermid and Pat Garrett — is behind Brownstones at Maywood Park.

And the Orchestra League, the nonprofit supporter of the Oklahoma City Philharmonic, is back there, too, cheering on the downtown revival. The decision to select the brownstones as the site of the 2008 Designers Show House, a fundraiser for the orchestra's music education programs, came with a brainstorm, said Sue Francis, president of the Orchestra League. It was an easy decision, she said, "with everything happening downtown.” The developers were excited about the chance to participate because they "knew what the show house was about.”

The Symphony Designers Show House event, "Downtown at the Brownstones,” actually will present four condo homes in different styles: Santa Fe, Urban Contemporary, European and SoHo Metropolitan.

It'll open the possibility of downtown living to more people who might not have considered it, said Brenda Craiger of Triangle Development. If you haven't driven by the area lately, do it. You'll be surprised at what's coming out of the ground. But, Craiger said, "The big step is you have to walk in one to get it. You have to do it once to understand the concept. This is a neighborhood, a platted neighborhood where there hasn't been one (in decades).”

A neighborhood — not just some places to live that happen to be close together. And Brownstones at Maywood Park is a neighborhood within the greater neighborhood that downtown is becoming. The Symphony Designers Show House is a natural fit. The Orchestra League is tied to downtown as home of the Oklahoma City Philharmonic, so the event will be something of an incubator for symbiosis: Downtown denizens love downtown culture, and downtown culture is strengthened by downtown denizens.

Having the event at the brownstones will surprise some people.

The Orchestra League "always likes to be ahead of everything,” Francis said — and the decision knitted some brows among the 400 members. She said it was like some people's reaction to downtown's resurrection as a place to play, work and live: "We've seen out members say, ‘We can't do that. We've never done that before!' ” she said.

But why not? It's perfect timing. Downtown is hot.

betts
02-02-2008, 06:26 AM
I've been in a couple of the brownstones, and they are great. I'm so happy people will be able to see that you can actually live in a house downtown. Lofts are great for some people, but there are others who have to have that homelike feel to be comfortable. The other great thing about the brownstones that the Showhouse will demonstrate, is how very differently they can be decorated. Just looking at the three that have been completed already, you get a completely different feel in each of them. They can eaily be done in a very traditional fashion, but when they get the model open, you'll see a house that looks like it could be in Architectural Digest (I think...it's a ways from being ready to go)

adaniel
02-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Does anyone know how these have been selling? I've heard that of all of the downtown housing projects these have had the toughest time getting buyers. Which is a shame because the few times I've driven by them they look like they will be absolutley beautiful when done.

solitude
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
These will be great. I don't know how they're selling, but frankly, nothing is selling well right now.

shane453
02-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't think anything downtown is having so much trouble. Centennial sold out, and it was priced pretty high. Harvey Lofts is sold out all but one according to their website, and several of Central Avenue are sold according to theirs. 8 of Block 42's 14 floorplans are sold out according to their website. And it seems like EVERYONE is talking about downtown living these days, not just these blogger/forumer circles anymore. I had heard the Brownstones weren't selling so well but that was many months ago- They're definitely in the upper price range and it takes a special person to want to pay close to a million for a 4-story 3,500 square foot urban rowhome.

Oklahoma's real estate as a whole is insulated from the national trends because of the economy, downtown's real estate market is even further insulated by the fact that it offers a unique niche product.

betts
02-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Two have been sold, and there are definitely people looking at the others. I'm contemplating buying one. These are big (2500 to 3500 square feet), and at $225a foot, it's not going to be your first house, or an "apartment downtown". I think at these prices, a lot of people are going to need to see what they can look like before they'll buy. It's the 15 x 25 foot top floor patio with a fireplace that sucks you in when you look! They are working on a model right now, and I'm guessing it will be open either just before or about the time of the show house opening. I was told the developers have a longer time frame for finishing up this project, and plan for it to take about five years. There's definitely a smaller buyer group for these, IMO.

FritterGirl
02-03-2008, 09:09 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the designers treat this new concept. Often, several of the designers have very "similar" looks, what I call the "Nichols Gallardia overdone French Country." Nothing wrong with it, and it's all very elegant, but so much of it just looks, well, the same, and I don't know how much of that style is conducive to a more "urban" type of home.

I wonder, too, if they are being given as much free rein to add their own paint colors, light fixtures, cabinetry and other build-ins, as they are often afforded in the older homes.

ksearls
02-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey!

Mark your calendars for May 3 for the first ever Move Up Downtown Living Tour! One of the stops is the Showhouse and you will get the chance to see all of the other new DT living opportunities too!

More to come soon.

Kim

betts
02-03-2008, 09:27 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how the designers treat this new concept. Often, several of the designers have very "similar" looks, what I call the "Nichols Gallardia overdone French Country." Nothing wrong with it, and it's all very elegant, but so much of it just looks, well, the same, and I don't know how much of that style is conducive to a more "urban" type of home.

I wonder, too, if they are being given as much free rein to add their own paint colors, light fixtures, cabinetry and other build-ins, as they are often afforded in the older homes.

I think the "European" town house will have the "Nichols Gallardia overdone French country" look, but thankfully, they're doing three other themes. I think the reason it's actually important to do a house in that style, even though I don't like it personally, is because these are houses that could appeal to empty nesters who are used to that style in their own home. If everything is completely urban and contemporary, you lose a whole segment of the market. Because these townhomes have French doors and divided light windows, they really can go many diferent directions.

Apparently, the builder will be providing the contractors for the finish out on the houses, but the designers get to choose whatever they want style wise. I think at least one of the kitchens is being designed by one of the local kitchen designers, so I would guess that person is providing cabinets.

solitude
02-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Hey!

Mark your calendars for May 3 for the first ever Move Up Downtown Living Tour! One of the stops is the Showhouse and you will get the chance to see all of the other new DT living opportunities too!

More to come soon.

Kim

That's a great idea!

EvokeCoffee
05-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Evoke will be serving specialty coffee tomorrow at the Show House. Come on out and say hi!