View Full Version : Just moved here... need recommendations!

GoldieHeart
02-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Hi! I just moved here from Portland, ME. I don't know anyone here and I need some recommendations to I have an idea where to start looking for my own favorites. I'm sure you get a lot of people asking things like this, but I couldn't really find what I was looking for exactly. So here goes...

1. I need a nice rental (apartment, house, duplex, townhouse, condo, anything) for under $1000. Has to have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, modern appliances, bathrooms, and floors. Needs to be very safe, as I live alone. Prefer a private garage. People at work keep suggesting places like Stoneleigh and Mont Clair apartments, which I don't like, or places downtown that are over $1000/mo. I could do $1200ish with utilities included. Oh, it HAS to have washer/dryer hook ups or come with. I need something quick, as I'm staying in a hotel right now. Something in another city would be ok too. I've looked at the apartment guide, but I was hoping someone knew of something that's not listed.

2. I need a good salon/spa. I don't really have any guidelines - just something you like so I have a starting point. Which is your favorite?

3. Whole Foods-like store? Please? Trader Joe's-like store? What is the best market here?

4. Do you have an ice skating rink?

5. What's the big round building near the Marriot hotel on NW Expressway? It's so gorgeous.

6. I need to volunteer somewhere. Anything with animals. Animal sanctuary? Zoo? No-kill shelter?

That's all I can think of right now, or at least the most important. I've been here a week. I don't know how long I'll be here. I'm interning for a friend of my parents. I could be here for a year or forever. :) I miss Portland though.

Thanks so much! I love your city. It's like a suburb. I am working a lot so I won't have time to get to meet many people.

FritterGirl
02-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Goldie,

Welcome to Oklahoma City!! Sounds like you found the right place for advice on a lot of different matters. I'll let others chime in on the "where to live" question, but will gladly provide this link (http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11943-relocating-louisiana-apartment-suggestions.html)to another thread, where we talk about several complexes in more detail.

2. I need a good salon/spa. I don't really have any guidelines - just something you like so I have a starting point. Which is your favorite?
I don't know what your budget is. We have everything from SuperCuts to super high-end spas like Cottonwood in Edmond. For haircuts, I go to a place called DK Salon just north of Memorial Road on May Avenue. You're welcome to PM me for my stylist's name. I've been going to him for about 10 years. DK is a fun, funky place with a fairly large staff. I don't get my hair colored, but I know they have a terrific staff that does great cuts and color. They also offer nail services, but for that, I prefer to go to "Nails by Helen," which is a bit less expensive. Nail places are a dime a dozen around here.

3. Whole Foods-like store? Please? Trader Joe's-like store? What is the best market here?

Unfortunately, we don't have a Whole Foods or a Trader Joes, although Tulsa has one. And trust me when I say, folks are clamoring for one around here. One of the less-bright things about OKC is our selection of grocery stores. If you are looking for a true "health food" type of place, I would recommend Akins. They have two locations, one at 63rd and May, the other next to Lowe's between May and Penn on Memorial. We also have some really interesting ethnic grocery stores like the Super Cao Ngyuen, but our everyday grocery selections are pretty slim. I personally shop Crest because the prices are good and it's locally-owned and not a large chain. They have some organic products, but the selection is small. That being said, we do have lots of great small specialty food stores and delis where you can find some good stuff.

I believe we have 2 of them. One is near Crossroads Mall. I'm not certain where the other is. I'm not a skater so really don't know! I can tell you that every December we set up an outdoor skating rink in downtown as part of our Downtown in December celebration. It's great fun!

6. I need to volunteer somewhere. Anything with animals. Animal sanctuary? Zoo? No-kill shelter? We have scads of places to volunteer. I believe the zoo has a volunteer program. Two notable local shelters include "Pets and People" in Yukon and "Free to Live" just north of Edmond. Both are often looking for volunteers to assist with their animals. We also just recently set up a new local coalition of concerned citizens who would like to help the OKC Shelter become a no-kill shelter by 2010. So, there are lots of opportunities in that, as well.

Patrick
02-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi! I just moved here from Portland, ME. I don't know anyone here and I need some recommendations to I have an idea where to start looking for my own favorites. I'm sure you get a lot of people asking things like this, but I couldn't really find what I was looking for exactly. So here goes...

Welcome. I actually wish I could trade places with you. Although I love my home city Oklahoma City, I really love Portland, Maine! :)

1. I need a nice rental (apartment, house, duplex, townhouse, condo, anything) for under $1000. Has to have 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, modern appliances, bathrooms, and floors. Needs to be very safe, as I live alone. Prefer a private garage. People at work keep suggesting places like Stoneleigh and Mont Clair apartments, which I don't like, or places downtown that are over $1000/mo. I could do $1200ish with utilities included. Oh, it HAS to have washer/dryer hook ups or come with. I need something quick, as I'm staying in a hotel right now. Something in another city would be ok too. I've looked at the apartment guide, but I was hoping someone knew of something that's not listed.

You might look at this thread, where we've just discussed this recently with another new person:
http://www.okctalk.com/okc-metro-area-talk/11943-relocating-louisiana-apartment-suggestions.html

The poster in that thread chose Prairie Springs, off Council and NW Expressway. They do have private garages there.

To find private garages, you'll have to go with a newer apartment complex. Prairie Springs has them. You might also check with Park at Memorial or Crown Martin Park, both on Memorial Rd, near Mac Arthur.

Mont Clair Park is nice, although I'd prefer to live on the northwest side of town. I will say that Mon Clair Park is in a pretty wealthy area of the city, but most of the nicer parts of town are actually on the northwest side or in Edmond.

I live in the Summit Condominiums off N. May Ave., between Hefner and 122nd. The thing I like about our complex is half of the units are privately owned, the other half are leased. That keeps the tenant mix pretty nice. We don't have garages though. But, the units do have washers and dryers. We live in their largest unit, a 2 bedroom town home, 2 floor loft. It's pretty nice.

Really for you, it will be an issue of whether you want to live in an urban environment (downtown) or a suburban environment (NW OKC or Edmond). If you're looking for private garages, you'll probably have to go with somewhere suburban though.

Might try Eden Salon and Spa. Praxis College on Western is another place you might look into. Cottonwood Spa in Edmond is VERY nice.
If you're just looking for a salon, try any of the Duncan Brothers. Balliet's at 50 Penn Place has a pretty nice salon as well. Complexions at Northpark Mall is also pretty nice from what I hear.

My wife really really really like Renaissance Salon at Broadway Extn. and Hefner Rd. She got her hair done there for our wedding and they did a fabulous job. It's located in an old historic house from the early 1900's.

We don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but if you want a really nice historic small style market you might check out Kamps Market at 1310 NW 25th Street....basically off NW 13th and Classen Blvd. It's an OKC historic gem.

The only Ice Skating rink I can think of is where the OKC Blazers practice...it's the Blazer's Ice Centre at 8000 S. I-35. It's near Crossroads Mall (the city's worst and dying mall).

5. What's the big round building near the Marriot hotel on NW Expressway? It's so gorgeous.

It used to be an office building called United Founders Tower. It had a revolving restaurant at the top called Nikz, which was very fancy. Now, they're currently in the process of converting it into for sale condos. Should be finished in a few months. Now it's called The 360 at Founders Plaza.

If you're interested in buying one, go here: The 360 at Founders Plaza (http://www.founderstower.com/)

If you like the idea of living in a big tower, with great views, but want one that leases, check out The Classen at NW 23rd and Classen Blvd....very close to Kamps Market and in the middle of the Asian District and near Midtown. Contact the Gardner Tanneunbaum Group for more information.

6. I need to volunteer somewhere. Anything with animals. Animal sanctuary? Zoo? No-kill shelter?

Might contact the Zoo: The Oklahoma City Zoo (http://okczoo.com/) I bet they could help you out.

That's all I can think of right now, or at least the most important. I've been here a week. I don't know how long I'll be here. I'm interning for a friend of my parents. I could be here for a year or forever. :) I miss Portland though.

Thanks so much! I love your city. It's like a suburb. I am working a lot so I won't have time to get to meet many people.

It has urban areas too. You just have to go downtown. And there are plenty of living areas downtown if you prefer urban living.

Joe Kimball
02-01-2008, 11:25 AM

The other one (also an Arctic Edge) is at 14613 N Kelley Ave---approximately 150th and Kelley.

For a few years, there were three rinks in town. The oldest one, Iceland, became an art gallery c. 2004.

Misty
02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Another Mainiac! I grew up in Houlton, my Dad lives in Machias now. I lived at Prairie Springs when I lived here back in 1998-1999. They were brand new then and nice, private garage 2 bed/2bath. I think I paid $800-$900 a month back then. I personally MUCH prefer the heart of the city. When I lived in Texas, Realtors did apartment locating, but I'm not sure if they do that here. Does anyone know? If so, that would probably be the easiest, they pick you up and show you around. No fee to you, the property you lease from pays them (at least it was that way in Texas).

I haven't picked a salon myself yet, I am going to try Velvet Monkey downtown. Frittergirl was dead on with the grocery store info. I believe the Neighborhood Alliance (I'm the Secretary) works with a no-kill shelter, you can call Ben or Georgie at 528.6322 for details. They can also give you a lot of info about the different neighborhoods in town.

I haven't had my ice skates on in years. They hang in Dad's basement collecting dust. The ONE AND ONLY day the lake was right for skating the last time I was in Maine I drunkenly slipped on the ice (before I got the skates on) and messed up my tailbone :( I think that was the day we had the snow-flea roundup. (Yes, there are really snow-fleas everyone!). If there is anything I can do to help you out please let me know! Maybe we should get together for coffee! :)

Karried
02-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Welcome to OKC!

I'll address some of your recommendations but it looks like a lot has already been covered.

Salon:

Anthony David Hair Salon - they have an awesome salon in Penn Square Mall called Bellezza.

And if you want to save a lot of money on color and cuts, they have an upscale Academy near Quail Springs Mall in which the advanced students are supervised and do really good work ... a $125 plus color elsewhere can be had for less than $30 - $40 if I remember correctly. They do a really great job.

Ice Skating:

Artic Edge.. we go there all the time. Reasonable and they take skating seriously as they have hockey practice and games there on off days.. so the rink is pretty well maintained as far as I can tell ( but I'm not an expert!).

Volunteering:

You should contact SweetDaisy of this board, through PM, she volunteers at the animal shelter and can direct you on who to call.

Anyway, hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your stay here in OK!

jbrown84
02-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Another grocery you might try out is Crescent Market in Nichols Hills Plaza at 63rd and Western.

metro
02-05-2008, 08:22 AM
GoldieHeart,

Welcome to OKC! Based upon your needs, I'd try Crown Martin Park (I believe that is the name) on Memorial just east of MacArthur or some of the newer complexes on Memorial Rd. Crown Martin Park is right next door to a nature park called Martin Nature Center. It's acres of untouched land with all kinds of wildlife and such. It would be a quick walk and getaway from your apartment and I believe you can volunteer there as well. About 2 1/2 miles down the road is Akins Heath Food Center at Memorial near Penn. I get most of my health food/organic stuff from Akins although WalMart and Target carry a pretty decent selection of items in almost every category (they carry brands like Amy's, Cedarlane, Annie's, Horizon, Stonyfield Farm's and others). Also Target (mainly) and now WalMart has a selection of natural based, non-toxic cleaners. I use Method and Seventh Generation and WalMart now carry's the Clorox Green Works line. Also as Karried mentioned, Artic Edge ice arena is in far N OKC almost to Edmond. WHich would be just a few miles down Memorial and then up a mile or two north. Although I'm a downtowner myself, for what you're looking for it sounds like the western part of Memorial Rd. might be good for you.

As others have mentioned, there are TONS of specialty and ethnic grocers (that I know of we have African, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, British, Mediterranean, and other specialty markets). Unfortunately we don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes yet but should within another year or two. There is a liquor law here that you can't sell wine in grocery stores, so that is keeping these chains out of Oklahoma but we are trying to work to change that law and I think it will be in the next year or so. There is also the Health Food Center in South OKC that I hear is pretty good.

Anyhow, welcome to OKC and let us know if you're looking for anything else. Feel free to do a search on this site and you'll find info on almost anything.

Patrick
02-05-2008, 10:07 AM
As others have said, I'd definitely look at the MacArthur/Memorial Rd. cooridor. That area has complexes like Park at Memorial, Crown Martin Park, Crown Pointe, The Gables, and the Warrington. All are great complexes.