View Full Version : New Core2Shore Video!

CuatrodeMayo
02-01-2008, 08:53 AM
Credit to Pete for posting this first, but it is buried in another thread...I think it deserves its own.

Watch this: NewsOK.tv (http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1351302729/bclid1111621425/bctid1399221803)

metro
02-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice! I've seen these renderings, but glad to see it in video.

Doug Loudenback
02-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Very very nice!

cedbled
02-01-2008, 09:28 AM
can you say....Grand Theft Auto: OKC?
yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh..

Anyways, I love the direction they are conceptualizing in.

justme
02-01-2008, 09:43 AM
I think that's another Skyline Ink animation.

jbrown84
02-01-2008, 09:44 AM

Where?

I haven't seen any of that before. It seriously makes me want to burst with excitement. Did you see that convention center?? Talk about ICONIC. We have to build it like that. Don't fall back on something "safe". That looked like Gehry.

betts
02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow, I wish we could be getting started right now. Why does that Crosstown move need to take so long?

CuatrodeMayo
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Some of the renderings appeared in the last C2S powerpoint presentation. The rest ARE new...especially the convention center.

jbrown84
02-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Well all of that was computer animation in 3D, so none of it is the same 2D renderings we saw. Most of it was much closer up and in more detail.

mecarr
02-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Very nice, but it is hard for me to get really excited about something that will take 25 years until completion...That's a long time.

Doug Loudenback
02-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Very nice, but it is hard for me to get really excited about something that will take 25 years until completion...That's a long time.
Everything is relative. Certainly, perspectives on "time" fall into that category. When I was "younger," 25 years seemed like a "long time." Today, at age 64 and looking back, 25 years earlier than today was 1982. Today, that doesn't seem like such a "long" time ago to me ... I could tell you what my personal life was like then as the year 1983 was about to occur. Though it's unlikely that I'll be around to see what's kicking in 2032, I'm nonetheless excited about the prospects for my kids and grandkids just the same. And, just conjuring up these images in one's (my) mind as to what I'll be missing makes me have some present excitement and sense of anticipation about what's hopefully coming along the line. Our city's early "dreamers" knew that they wouldn't live to see the developments which would occur after their deaths because of what they did ... but they knew that what they did was important beyond their time. That's what this "dreaming stuff" by a city is all about. A "city" has a longer memory than its people who are living at any particular point in time -- it has a "corporate," a "city" memory. You and I can "remember" the 1931 "Great Race" between the 1st National and Ramsey Tower, even though we weren't yet alive to see it happen. By the same token, you and I will be part of that same collective "memory" in the years to come, and what we do or don't do will be a part of that legacy. Our city's dreamers began dreaming in 1889, 119 years ago. What we have or do not have today is a product of what they, and their successors, did or did not do. The same will be true for what you and I do or don't do for those who are living in this city 25 years from today.

Being more shortsighted, if the Ford Center vote passes and I get to watch my own town's NBA team in the Ford (or other renamed) Center for a few years, I'll be a happy guy, and so will my children and grandchildren! Dreaming further vis a vis the Core To Shore prospects, should that occur it will benefit them during their lifetimes even if not me in mine.

betts
02-02-2008, 06:20 AM

I agree. I do remember someone at theCore to Shore open meeting talking about a prior job, where a city in Austrailia was shown a projection like this. When things started happening, the city got so excited about the changes that they ended up being completed in 15 years, rather than 25. I hope that happens here. Also, several people talked about trying to start demoing buildings on the proposed park land before the new Crosstown is completed. Since the housing along the park will be private development, it may be once people can see where the park is going to be, and the land is cleared, developers will start working on housing earlier too. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

okclee
02-02-2008, 10:24 AM
I can see the property owners in the core 2 shore areas much like in bricktown. These owners will sit on a vacant building and wait for many many years waiting for a huge sell off. If it goes anything like bricktown I think it may take 30-40 years.

There will be a huge push at first with the city doing their part and leaving the remaining portion up to property owners in the area. These owners will be greedy and slow down the progress. We have already seen this happen in Bricktown.

Hopefully someone like Banta properties will acquire a huge portion of the property with the vision and the resources to complete the job. Lood at the progress that Mid-town has had in just a short amount of time and compare that with Bricktown with the greedy propety owners that lack the vision.

kevinpate
02-03-2008, 10:12 AM
interesting. As for a 25 year period as less than exciting, if either a community or an individual doesn't have some vision for where they want to be standing in 25 years, being on the right path is somewhat unlikely when years 3, 9, and 15 come along.

Been there, done that. Like OKC, I'm on a new path now that leads to a significant more interesting future, albeit one I never envisioned even 20, 12, or even 3 years back.

David Pollard
02-03-2008, 01:50 PM
You all have to admit that in any case it is very exciting. I agree with the earlier post that if the city were to take the initiative to start with the park it would be a great pace-setter for future development. In addition, I hope that the city is wise enough to declare right of imminent domain for the major development areas, and have strict development rules AND TIMELINES for the remainder.

Having said this, I also hope that the city has learned its lesson about wholesale demolition of buildings if they don't immediately seem to fit into the larger plan. I only have to refer to the ill-fated Pei-Plan and the practical desertification of our downtown in the late 60's and early 70's as an illustration!

Concretely I mean that perhaps there are some existing building (even 1 story old garages) that could be incorporated into the new plan as cafe's, grocery stores, clubs, etc. ; particularly in the new residential areas. Perserving some of the historical charater really adds to the charater of a neighborhood.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that this takes off!

CuatrodeMayo
02-04-2008, 07:23 AM
ED is for MAJOR developements is ok. But I think good zoning should take care of crappy developments.

TStheThird
02-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Anyone have a link to this video? The old link takes you to a news story about a double homecide. Cheers.

CuatrodeMayo
02-26-2008, 09:28 PM
NewsOK.tv (http://newsok.tv)

Type in "OKC 2010" into the search bar.

Enjoy!

mecarr
03-02-2008, 03:41 PM
I heard that the first thing they will be starting on is building the park. Does anyone know more about this?

betts
03-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I went to the last public meeting, and I was told that until the boulevard is done, most of the other Core 2 Shore projects would be put on hold. However, they told me that if they could acquire the money to buy the land (which was done with the Dec 11 bond issue, I believe) that they would try to start at least demo-ing everything in the planned park area and getting it started whenever possible. Of course the post office can't be demolished until the new one is done, and I think that was a couple of years away.

bdhumphreys
07-30-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey, I embedded both the "Core to Shore" video from the Skyline Ink website and the newsok video with Mayor Cornett's commentary here:

imagiNATIVEamerica » Skyline Ink “Core to Shore” Animation (http://imaginativeamerica.com/2008/07/skyline-ink-core-to-shore-animation/)

Enjoy!