View Full Version : Smoke Detector

Karried
01-29-2008, 09:13 AM
This story just has me so upset.. I can't imagine the bravery that it took for a 10 year old to choose to go back to try to save her 2 year old brother.

Everyone, please, please check your Smoke Detector (right now, go test it!)

Girl, 10, succumbs to injuries suffered in Tulsa house fire

By The Associated Press
BROKEN ARROW, Okla. -- A 10-year-old girl has died after being seriously injured in a fire that killed her younger brother and critically injured their grandmother.

Hannah Rose Casillas died of smoke inhalation just after 1 p.m. Monday, a spokeswoman at St. Francis Hospital in Tulsa said. She also had burns over 75 percent of her body.
Her brother, Quentin Diego Casillas, 2, was killed in the Sunday morning fire, city spokesman Keith Sterling said.

Peg Lewis, the children's aunt, said the girl apparently got out of the burning house but went back in to save her brother.

The children's grandmother, Carol Ann Thomas, 57, was taken to Hillcrest Medical Center in Tulsa, where she was listed in critical condition with lung damage and burns to about 25 percent of her body. The mother of the children was treated at the scene for minor burns to her hand. The cause of the fire has not been established.

The home did not have a working smoke detector.

FRISKY
02-05-2008, 05:31 PM
I checked and replaced a couple of my smoke detectors because of this thread. I also bought a CO detector because I wasn't sure if my gas fireplace might be leaking carbon monoxide into the house. Turns out it was not, but you can't tell unless you have a detector or get sick.

Karried
02-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm so happy to hear that! That is wonderful.

I also bought a CO detector.. I just couldn't imagine something happening to my kids and family and then finding out it would have cost $25 bucks to have avoided a lifetime of regret and grief.

I just couldn't live with the 'what ifs' ...

Did you happen to see the video of the family tossing their baby out of the window today? 4 stories! That is horrific!

*I also bought a chain ladder for upstairs and a talking Smoke Alarm because my kids sleep through alarms but they do wake up to our voices... I know, I know! I'm paranoid.

FRISKY
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't watch commercial television and that includes news. One of the reasons for this is because I don't want to see stories about dead babies or any other deaths. I have seen more death than anyone should be forced to in their life.

Karried
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Yes, news is depressing..

But, the baby survived ..that was the good news. The police caught her.... the whole building was on fire and they made a choice to toss the baby to the police ....