View Full Version : 33rd & Broadway building

jdbells
01-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Does anyone know what business is building on the corner NE corner of 33rd & Broadway? A building with a drive thru has been put up where the old Carl's Jr. was. There is no sign that we can see.

Karried
01-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know what that small building will be but behind it in the old Walmart building will be a two story Indoor mall and a Hobby Lobby.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 03:38 PM
As Karrie said, a Hobby Lobby will take up part fo the space.

Also, the small building is the rebuilding of the Carls Jr. Carls Jr is just remodeling the building and will be back there.

Other tenants include Zida, a women’s accessory and jewelry store; Bella Strada, salon and spa; Starbucks, and Subway. Corporate offices for Carl’s Jr. will be in the second story of the office building.

OkieHornet
01-28-2008, 03:47 PM
what he's talking about is a small building just north of where the old Carls Jr used to be... this is different from the the new Carls Jr...

Patrick
01-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah, you're right. Carls Jr is to the east. I haven't been up there for a week or so, so I just saw the building this evening when I went up there. Someone told me it was going to be a Church's, but that doesn't sound right to me.

metro
01-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah Patrick, the new Carl's Jr is already open, there is another similar building under construction due north as OkieHornet said. My money is that it will be a new building for the Burger King which is just due north of this new building under construction. The developers of this site seem to be set on an Tuscan Italian look and you can already see that with the new Carl's Jr. It may be part of the deal to continue leasing space on the site that the free parcel restaurants all be a uniform look. That's where my money is at if I was a betting man although I could be wrong.

Patrick
01-28-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah metro, it's all supposed to have a Mediterranean look:

NewsOK: Cornering the market<br/><span class='hl2'>Developers envision gateway to Edmond at Shoppes on Broadway</span> (http://newsok.com/article/3134709)

I'll see if I can track down the building permit for that new building to the north.

John
01-29-2008, 12:30 AM
The building on the corner should be the Starbucks, as they'll be located on the corner. It could be the 'new' BK, but I know the developer is donating a bit of the corner property to the city to make a dedicated turn lane onto North bound Broadway.

Patrick
01-29-2008, 09:38 AM
The building on the corner should be the Starbucks, as they'll be located on the corner. It could be the 'new' BK, but I know the developer is donating a bit of the corner property to the city to make a dedicated turn lane onto North bound Broadway.

Yeah, it's going to be a Starbucks....I went back through and read all of the Edmond City Planning meeting minutes.

metro
01-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Cool. That makes sense too, and I'm glad to see them do the right thing and donate some land they won't need anyways to greatly relieve traffic at that intersection. One thing Edmond never did right was plan for growth. At least now Edmond is heading in the right direction.

gsan
01-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Edmond has planned better than any City in the metro.

Rage_Kage
02-04-2008, 01:29 PM
I talked to someone at another starbucks in edmond and they said they the company was pulling out of the location.

Karried
02-04-2008, 01:39 PM
That's surprising . . the new one next to Santa Fe high School seems to be endlessly packed.. of course a great majority of the customers are high schoolers... everyday I see students walking to and fro holding Starbucks cups.

I'm just amazed that their parents give them the money to drop $4- $10 a day or more on coffee drinks.... I'm thankful I have boys who could care less about 'frou-frou' drinks.

jsenter
02-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Typical Edmond snobs. Edmond soccer moms give their kids anything.

John
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Edmond snobs. Edmond soccer moms give their kids anything.

Wow, jealous much?

John
02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I talked to someone at another starbucks in edmond and they said they the company was pulling out of the location.

I seriously doubt they'd pull out of a location at the busiest intersection in Edmond.

jbrown84
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Maybe because of this:

Starbucks closing 100 stores. (http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/01/30/starbucks_quarterly_profit_rises/)

Karried
02-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Smart guy.

High priced coffee drinks might be classified as a luxury.. not good when the economy tanks.

hipsterdoofus
02-06-2008, 08:38 AM
I wish they'd rebuild the burger king...its pretty rundown looking and outdated...

Also, whats the deal with hobby Lobby moving...they've already moved once from Mardel location to where they are now? I am glad to hear that they already have tenants for these locations but it stinks that there is so much empty space in other parts of the city.

metro
02-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Edmond has planned better than any City in the metro.

Yes, from the last several years going forward, but not decades ago to plan for the growth we see today. There is no major expressway or highway going through Edmond either North South or East West. I don't consider Broadway a major expressway with stoplights about every half mile or less and a speed limit of 35-40mph and dead ending at Danforth. I'm talking about a NW Expressway or Hefner Parkway type roadway to move masses of people through it.

jbrown84
02-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Edmond does not need an interstate--excuse me, freeway--running through it.

And since when does NWE not have tons of lights? I see little difference between Broadway and NWE.

Karried
02-06-2008, 09:20 AM
There is no major expressway or highway going through Edmond either North South or East West.

Can we count I-35?

metro
02-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Edmond does not need an interstate--excuse me, freeway--running through it.

And since when does NWE not have tons of lights? I see little difference between Broadway and NWE.

Faster speed limit, more and better turn lanes at major intersections, a few less frequent stops. No major expressway really runs east and west either besides the turnpike which is really south of Edmond for the most part.

metro
02-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Can we count I-35?

I suppose you can if you want. I don't consider it a major thoroughfare for one to commute through Edmond. It's a major highway alright (Perhaps the secondmost in the U.S.), although I don't feel that East Edmond (meaning east of I35) is really developed and congested to a fraction of the extent "west Edmond" or "central Edmond" is. The people commuting on Broadway or 33rd, 15th or 2nd, aren't the same people on average as people driving on I-35.

6string79
02-06-2008, 10:57 AM
We should get a strip club set up on that corner.

NE Oasis
02-06-2008, 11:06 AM

The developer has stressed "upscale" since buying the property.
What would be the benefit of a strip club? Although I've never been a supporter, lately they have been nothing more than breeding grounds for public shootings and parents leaving their chidren in the car while they visit the establishment.

6string79
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
The developer has stressed "upscale" since buying the property.
What would be the benefit of a strip club? Although I've never been a supporter, lately they have been nothing more than breeding grounds for public shootings and parents leaving their chidren in the car while they visit the establishment.

Public shootings can happen anywhere. I don't see anything wrong with a Gentlemen's club so that guys can be guys. Just because parents leave their children in their cars..does not mean that it's correlated to strip clubs. Irresponsible parents do that just about anywhere...i.e. gas stations, malls, grocery stores.

jbrown84
02-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Metro, what city of 75,000 has (or needs) a freeway running right through the middle? Especially one that wasn't already there as part of a greater network of freeways or interstates.

jsenter
02-06-2008, 11:31 AM
I-35 is like Hefner Parkway. Broadway is like NWE. The major streets like 33rd, 15th, and 2nd Street are like May Ave., MacArthur, and Rockwell. I don't see the difference here.

John
02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Broadway, 35, and Portland all lead into Edmond, fof the most part.

TheImmortal
02-06-2008, 10:31 PM
If I have read correctly, I-35 and Covell is the approximate geographical center of Edmond, so we do in fact have a "freeway" running through the center of town. Furthermore, once or if all of the major projects announced along the I-35 corridor get built, it will look as if this is true as well. I imagine in a decade or so, Arcadia will be swallowed up in development and and things wont look amazingly different than if 235 kept going north though Edmond.

jbrown84
02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
That's what Aubrey McClendon's praying for.

metro
02-07-2008, 08:54 AM
If I have read correctly, I-35 and Covell is the approximate geographical center of Edmond, so we do in fact have a "freeway" running through the center of town. Furthermore, once or if all of the major projects announced along the I-35 corridor get built, it will look as if this is true as well. I imagine in a decade or so, Arcadia will be swallowed up in development and and things wont look amazingly different than if 235 kept going north though Edmond.

Yes, in the future, but I'm talking decades ago they didn't plan for the explosive growth they've seen. They need an "outer loop" from say I-35 west near 2nd and connecting back with Memorial or the turnpike near Hefner Parkway. Most cities have an inner and outer loop. Some argue we have only one loop, if you count the turnpike. Growth is so sprawled north, we definitely need, and will need another outer loop.

jbrown84
02-07-2008, 09:24 AM
An Edmond outer loop will only encourage even more sprawl north and west.

John
02-07-2008, 04:47 PM
I could see Covell developing as somewhat of an 'outer-loop' from 35 W to Portland. Especially with the 35 & Covell project/convention center, the soon to be RR underpass, the Covell & Kelly area, plus the work currently being done on SH74.

If nothing else, it will be a suburban version of NWEXPY.

hipsterdoofus
02-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Yes, from the last several years going forward, but not decades ago to plan for the growth we see today. There is no major expressway or highway going through Edmond either North South or East West. I don't consider Broadway a major expressway with stoplights about every half mile or less and a speed limit of 35-40mph and dead ending at Danforth. I'm talking about a NW Expressway or Hefner Parkway type roadway to move masses of people through it.

I completely agree metro. I am planning on moving back to Edmond soon and will avoid moving too far north as driving through Edmond takes forever. The city's answer to traffic problems is to just add more lights on major streets. I don't think they need a freeway, but you have to be kidding to compare BWE to NWE...NWE does not have lights every half mile, or in the case of 33rd to 15th street in Edmond, 4 lights in one mile.

Karried
02-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I live in South Edmond and I don't have many traffic issues. (Except near Quail Springs ).

I have to agree somewhat about the traffic further North. I hate driving near 2nd and Bryant.. that area is always pretty congested.

After looking for acreage forever, North Edmond .. ie Deer Creek or east of 35, we always consider the traffic and change our mind and decide to stay put due to the location.

When more amenities are in place near or east of 35 - North of Lake Arcadia .. ie shopping, restaurants etc, I think that is when we will move and where we will end up. We can hop right on 35. I love the trees and don't like all the new developments and the sprawl in West Edmond near Deer Creek.. and I dislike the wide open flat plains with no trees.

Hopefully, the traffic concerns are being addressed.. everytime I drive anywhere in Edmond, someone is tearing up the roads and working on them ... widening etc.

jdbells
02-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Going back to my original question....This past Sunday I heard from a local Subway manager that the building is going to be another Subway with a double drive-thru. When I drove by the building today I could only determine one drive-thru. Wondering if the Subway is going up around there, but somewhere else... Do we have a definite answer on what the building is going to be?

John
02-27-2008, 01:51 AM
Do we have a definite answer on what the building is going to be?

Starbucks.

Things have really started to take shape quickly there, it's looking good!

jbrown84
02-27-2008, 09:33 AM
It has certainly moved faster than the other Edmond retail developments, including the controversial Fox Lake Plaza (which has done nothing but play sandbox) and The Bridges at Spring Creek (which has done nothing as far as I can tell).

bretthexum
02-27-2008, 03:32 PM

Strip club in Edmond?!? Right after hell freezes over. Just like the previous post about shootings and parents leaving their kids in the car. That's how they all think.

I sure wouldn't mind one though.

I did hear they are putting a gentelman's club on Memorial & Portland though. Any truth to that? (Sorry way off topic)

John
02-27-2008, 06:53 PM
I did hear they are putting a gentelman's club on Memorial & Portland though. Any truth to that? (Sorry way off topic)

FWIW, I've heard rumors of one on Memorial, just W of the FBI building on the empty lot that is in front of the storage units?